Scott Scale 29 Pro 29er Hardtail

4.32/5 (19 Reviews)

The Scale 29 Pro's HMF carbon fiber frame and proven SRAM drivetrain offer a top notch race bike at a great price.

• Frame: Scale 29 carbon, HMF-Net fibers
  • Suspension: Rock Shox SID 29 RL, 100mm
  • Group set: SRAM XO / X9
  • Brakes: Avid 9RS Carbon disc
  • Wheels: DT Swiss XR29

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John Smith a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    29'er climbs, descends, and rolls better than 26'er on flats and XC - at least for this large rider. On the road, the vibration damping of a carbon fiber frame vs. aluminum is unbeatable.

Weaknesses:    Carbon fiber frame - if you ride technical XC, or so hard that you put the bike down regularly, you are just asking for it with a carbon fiber frame. Hit your rear DR or crankarm on a rock, put the bike down hard, etc., you stand a good chance of wiping out the frame to the tune of about $800. Every time a rock pops up while descending and hits the downtube I flinch and pray.

Bottom Line:
    Carbon fiber frame is great, components are a little cheap for a $2800 plus pricepoint (I paid much less fortunately). Fork is very nice, although not stiff enough - some flex and squirm at speed or under hard breaking. Also not true lockout - only limits travel. I hate the handlebar and stem on this bike - personal preference. While the components are not high-end by any means, everything works well on the bike.

This bike is great for me because I am 40, ride primarily on the street (I ride XC bikes with 1.5's - hate road bikes), and I do not crash when putting in training miles. If I were still in my twenties, riding technical singletrack, urban assault, bashing rocks and crashing regularly, etc. I would be an idiot to buy a carbon fiber frame.

I've had my bike for six months now and just discovered an issue the other day when trying to change to a new stem - installation of any other stem, or even an attempt to flip the stock scott stem from negative 6 degrees to positive 6 degress, leaves play in the headset. No matter what I do, I cannot get any other stem to properly seat with the fork and headset. We will see what kind of warranty service I get on this issue.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by jacques a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great climbing on steep rockey hills.iI knocked down almost 12 mins on a route compaired to when using my Giant carbon 26 inch.This is realy great value for money.

Weaknesses:    After 8 months i am stll trying to find a weak spot.

Bottom Line:
    If you are upgrading to a 29 er carbon,this is defnitely the bike for you.I would say it can compete with some bikes at least twice its price.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   king cycles,worceste

Submitted by Shane

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    Great set of components for the price. Upgrades a must though. I'm upgrading to XX and some Stans Gold wheels, which should shave 4lbs off and turn this into a rocket. Bike climbs like nothing I've been on before. I use this to race and so far have done well.
    Frame weighs a rediculous 2.1 lbs or something like that. So light!

Weaknesses:    Frame sizes are a little off for my body size. I need a Small 1/2. But no big deal, the small works great for me, but only has room for one water bottle cage. Be nice to have 2 for those 25+ mile races. Rocket Ron tires have thin side walls. It makes them light, but not exactly durable. I punctured mine within the first mile of riding. I changed to Racing Ralphs,also a thin tire, but so far no promblems.
    Warranty - Scott needs to get with the industry and offer a life time, or at least 5-10 year warranty on their frame. Currently it is only 3 years.

Bottom Line:
    You can't beat the price. Its listed on this site as $2799, but I think it is retailling for $3400 now. Still not a bad deal for a carbon frame and XO/X9 set up.
    Wheels are the equivalent of the DT Swiss 470 rims and 350 hubs. A little heavy, but an upgrade to some ZTR's and a better cassette will shave some rolling weight off.
    I highly recommend this ride to anyone who is looking for a mid-level racing bike that is ready to perform right off the show room floor.
    I went from a titanium 26" Litespeed to this, and am sold on both the 29er and Carbon frame.

Submitted by Joaking

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing (like a goat), stiff, handling, drivetrain and weight

Weaknesses:    Building quality and fork

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for money spent. Love the climbing and handling. First, I wasn't convinced about the greatness of 29inch wheels but after a race a couple of weeks ago in really muddy conditions I'm convinced. The larger wheels were simply fantastic!

The Pro 29er handles well, feels stiff and ready for some serious racing. The 2x10 fits this bike perfect.

I've vad some issues with my frame. The rear triangle seems to be oblique with the result that my rearwheel has been scraping into the carbon... But my LBS has helped me alot so hopefully everything will be sorted out.

My previous bikes have all had different Fox forks which I personally like more than RockShox. Mostly because the Fox feel more stiff and locked when using the lock-function.

Overall rating would have been a 4 (or maybe even 5) if it wasn't for my frame. Until that is fixed, the Pro 29er only gets an overall rating of 3 from me.

Purchased At:   Sportson Skövde

Bike Setup:   Stock, except changed tires to Conti Race King.

Submitted by Coloradoskibike

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great climbing, the control and handling it has makes it seem like its a 26

Weaknesses:    n.a

Bottom Line:
    I would highly recommend this bike, the value is great, its fast and agile, its really all you need for a bike of this caliber.

Submitted by RC Rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    light (23.5 lbs), stiff

Bottom Line:
    Review for the 2012 Scale Expert:
    Great bike for the price. My first 29er, so I really did my research and demo (Stumpjumper HT Expert-too stiff, Highball-great bike, pricey). Scale climbs like a champ and learned how to pick my lines sooner (still learning!). I came from FS 26" and had to get used to absorbing the bumps w/ my legs, but that was expected. I appreciate the Reba lockout lever and only wish it came 2x10. Went tubeless and swapped out the rear tire for a narrower 2.0, reduced my air pressure for additional traction and "shock absorption". Looking for a lighter wheelset (I need all the help I can get).
    I would highly recommend the bike!

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Corbinworks

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Bike is super lite, fits well, is a beast on the climbs..

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
    Over all this bike is Great & Great for the price!

Submitted by Frenchy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2012

Strengths:    2012 Scale expert 29er:
    - Light out of the box (24lb with pedals)
    - Responsive steering for a 29er, nice slack head tube
    - likes to go fast!

Weaknesses:    - Stock tires (swabble rocket rons). I just don't like them, swapped them out for some maxis tires
    - Frame a bit flexy..

Bottom Line:
    2012 Scale expert 29er What a fast bike! I swapped out the XT drivetrain for a SRAM 2x10. This thing likes to go! Almost 2 fast for me sometimes. The slack head tube allows for nice steep descending.

With 29ers, you need to choose different lines for technical sections. Not as easy to pick your way down a rocky sections compared to a 26 bike, but that is to be expected. This is why it's my race bike, I have a FS 26er for my all around riding

The bike does have some flex. I had it for a month and crashed. The Crank arm hit the rear chain stay and cracked the carbon. I don't know how the aluminum would have held up. But Scott was good with the crash replacement. Great company that stands by their bikes.

Favorite Trail:   All

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Scott Spark Pro 29er, that is all for 29ers.

Bike Setup:   2012 Scale expert 29er, Chromag bars, SRAM 2x10, Maxxis Ikon

Submitted by kevinrod1983 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    the new sid forks are smooth and don't go through the travel like the old ones. bb92 is stiff... awesome parts for the money..(top that specialized, trek, and cannondale...!)

Weaknesses:    the rocket ron tires just stink. sell them on ebay and buy some good rubber....

Bottom Line:
    stiff yet soft. great geo. race ready. top of the line technology without the bells and whistles and the extra "x". change the tires and set them up tubeless and wait for the race's start

Favorite Trail:   big river in RI

Purchased At:   Scottee's Westport B

Similar Products Used:   first 29er

Bike Setup:   2012 scale 29 pro with tubeless python tires, changed the crank's spider to run 42/28t, connex chain, ec90 flat bars, eggbeaters, i customized my motion control, had xt rotors but switched back with 160's f/r thou, added the optional chain catcher, salsa ti skewers, and cork bartape for a chain gaurd

Submitted by AJ Hassan a Cross Country Rider from P.Jaya,Selangor, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2012

Strengths:    My review is actually on the Scott Scale Expert 29er.First time I purchased a complete bike.I wanted to try a 29er. Bought it because of its competitive price,real value for money & the color.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I have a few bikes but since I purchased this bike I have been riding it more than my other bikes.I am surprised at the performance of this 29er.Indeed it has an advantage over the traditional 26 inch.I rode it at the same trials that I usually ride & was suprised at its character & performance.The feeling is quite similar to a short travel full-sus like my Blur XC carbon.climbing is excellent better than a 26 inch.So is descending is brilliant eventhough it is a hardtail & only 100mm travel on the RS Reba forks.
    I am not prejudice against traditional 26inch but this great technological change is definately welcome & here to stay. I would be hanging my other bikes for a while !

Favorite Trail:   Kiara

Purchased At:   Bikepro

Similar Products Used:   Santacruz Nomad,Blur XC Carbon,Titus FTM Carbon,Corretec Superbow ti & One-one 456 ti.All 26 in.bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock Standard except upgraded the hubs to Ckings.Rims & spokes, stock standard.

Submitted by John Prymak a Weekend Warrior from Evergreen, CO, usa

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    Great looking, well made, fast, very light can stand up and hammer. Best for fast smooth bike trails or fire roads

Weaknesses:    This bike is for fast smooth trials only. Its not an all This bike will beat the &$%! out of you on any rough downhills. On climbs I kept losing traction. The Sram components felt clunky and imprecise

Bottom Line:
    I was hoping this bike would have more all mtn or XC capabilities but it didn't for me.
    After 6 months had to get rid of and get and went back to a FS Carbon 26" and much happier and having more fun.
    Racers may like its stiff ride but other wanting more should look at an FS 26 or 29r

Favorite Trail:   Bergen Peak

Similar Products Used:   older 26" FS bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock Scale 29 with carbon bars and x9 group

Submitted by lscproducts a Cross Country Rider from lscproducts

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2011

Strengths:    Mine is actually a 2012 elite version. 22lbs 12 oz for a large out of the box without pedals, stiff where it needs to be, super stable going up or down and turns quicker than any 29r I have ever ridden of which there have been several, the new SID is way better than the Reba and every bit as plush as the fox fork on the Camber I tested, the DT skewers that come on this bike are interesting and perhaps help the front end out since it does not have a thru axle fork

Weaknesses:    none so far but perhaps the massive seat post, if I were prince of the planet the bike would be better off with a 27.2
    the company line is the flex is in the seat stays and to be honest I can't tell

Bottom Line:
    I have never had a bike that felt perfect on the first ride until I took this one out. There is just nothing like a super light well made carbon 29r and this one seems to fit the bill. Time will tell on the frame and I have broke my fair share of carbon bikes over the years but I am a sucker for a 2 lb frame.

Favorite Trail:   umpqua

Similar Products Used:   I have tried them all the big name company 29rs

Bike Setup:   all stock except the handlebar, grips, and seat

Submitted by eddie80 a Cross Country Rider from Broomfield, CO

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff frame with great geometry.

Weaknesses:    Cheap crank, crummy saddle

Bottom Line:
    Excellent climber, super fast on the fireroads and flats. When the trail gets techy this bike isn't as smooth as a full squish bike but that's to be expected. This bike is great for XC and endurance racing at 24 pounds out of the box. If you are looking for a light race bike at a great price this is your bike, if you want something to ride every day look elsewhere.

Similar Products Used:   Have owned and demo'd many different brands of fs and hardtail bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock except for WTB Rocket V Saddle and Ergon grips

Submitted by dmsdrums60 a Cross Country Rider from longmont, CO

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    climbing
    shock dampening

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike in May 2011 for about $2500 and enjoyed it tremendously—-at least until last week.

It was light, responsive, and climbed like a dream. And it really didn’t feel like a hardtail at all: in fact, it descended just about as well as my old 26” FS even as it climbed 30 or 40% better. I’m a decent Sport rider (clocking in at 6’2” and 175 lbs), and it helped me to improve my race times considerably.

About a week ago, though, I must have hit my rear derailleur squarely on a rock. At first, I thought I just had chain suck or something, 'cause I didn't really feel a jolt. But then I saw that the derailleur had ripped completely off—-along with a small chunk of the frame and dropout—-and was lodged in my spokes. The actual frame damage doesn’t look like much, but the entire frame needs to be replaced if I ever want to use it as a geared bike again.

Technically, this was a “crash,” so Scott can only give me a $900 “crash replacement.” I suppose that I get it: carbon cracks, and I technically cracked it.

Still, I’ve had this kind of “crash” before on several other aluminum and steel bikes—even once on a steel touring bike—and never destroyed a frame like this. Never. And I’m certainly not paying another $900 for another Scott carbon frame to see whether this happens again.

It’s time to try something else—-like the Motobecane Ti 29er frame that I really regret not having bought in the first place.

Long story short? This bike is great on many levels. But it didn’t last very long, at least not for me.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Dust, Como