Scott Scale 29 Elite 29er Hardtail

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

The new custom butted 6061 aluminum Scale 29 Elite is a lightweight and durable 29” hardtail. With a Shimano XT/SLX drivetrain and the same celebrated geometry as its carbon siblings, it gives you a great value in a big wheeled bike.

• Frame: Scale 29 alloy 6061
  • Suspension: Rock Shox Reba 29 RL, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano XT / SLX
  • Brakes: Avid Elixir 3 disc

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by juanfran777 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Strengths:    Very fast, light, durable, good component mix

Weaknesses:    Paint job, wheels come out of true often

Bottom Line:
    Bought this bike new from the LBS. The model is scott scale 940:
    - Fork: Fox Float 32 CTD
    - XT crank, rear derailleur,
    - SLX shifters, breaks, front derailleur, rear hub
    - Tires: Rocket Ron Schwable, alex rims

This bike is the top of the aluminum models from scott.

I have been riding this bike for 3 months, xc and technical trails. The bike is very fast! Geometry is really good, it makes you ride very agresively.

Shimano components are great, very light mix, very durable and precise. I ride very technical trails with 4 feet drops, this bike has no problem handling this every day.

The aluminum has a down side, it transfers every bump... one has to absorb the impacts with legs and arms. Once you get it right the bike begins to fly.

Fork is awesome, CTD with remote lock out is great.

The paint job is no good, it scratches very easely, no matter how careful you are. A mtb must have a good paint job, your hitting bushes, roots, rocks every ride... shame on scott

A minor problem is that both wheels come out of true often, I fix this myself once a week, nothing major, but it´s important to take care of it weekly.

Tires are very good for dry conditions, fast, responsive... not good for muddy of wet conditions, but that´s normal.

Very good break system, it´s integrated into the frame/fork... nice improvement (SLX works like a charm)

I would recommend this bike, very good value for the money... no real need for upgrades so far

Favorite Trail:   Technical trails, roots, rocks drops,

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Trek GF Mamba

Bike Setup:   XT/SLX set up
    Fox Float 32 CTD 100mm
    Alex Rims

Submitted by 50mm a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    -Excellent component group, a choice that's very high value for the price( SLX drivetrain, shifters, etc, and an XT rear derailleur).

-Nimble frame geometry (I switched from an XL Cannondale Trail SL4 frame to a Large Scott Scale Elite).

-180mm front brake rotor, 160mm rear brake rotor

-Racing Ralphs are a perfect fit for my style of riding. I do a lot of uphill/downhill, both technical and singletrack, yet I also find myself using this bike on the road sometimes. The tires hook up well if you know how to shift your body weight and I haven't had any issues with them aside from user error. (When these tires wear out or I plan on doing serious technical stuff, I'll switch to my Maxxis Ignitors. Don't wash out on turns like Kenda Small Block Eights).

-Reba RL 100mm air fork. REMOTE LOCKOUT via pop-loc system is such a nice thing to have. No more thinking "I don't want to let go of the handlebar just to lockout on this little climb". Effortless, effective. Tunability of this fork is really awesome, with both negative and positive air pressure reservoirs, a rebound adjustment that clicks and stays in place, and all of the info you need to set up the fork is printed onto it (I recommend experimenting). I weigh 152lbs @ 6', and I have found my optimal pressure to be 90+. Still experimenting with negative pressure, but I have it at 70psi.

Weaknesses:    -Saddle was more narrow than I prefer, so I switched it with the Stage Two saddle off of my Cannondale

-Avid Elixir 3 brakes are effective and easy to align with their coned washer system, but lack response expected from hydraulic brakes. "Squishy feel" compared to others I have used such as Hayes, but much more effective than mechanical disc brakes. No noise if you align them and bed them properly. I had my front brake bled for $10 and I am satisfied with where they're at now.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, I couldn't be more happy with my new bike. I've now ridden it for over one month. I replaced a hardtail with a hardtail and the difference in quality and fit is astounding. If you're taller than 6'1" I would probably go with an XL, or buy a longer seatpost. My setting is "9/10" and any higher than 10 risks the integrity of the post. I feel much more capable with this bike. It's quite a bit lighter and there aren't cheap components snuck into the recesses of the build (the places where they matter the most) like the Cannondale I own.

Again, the brakes could be better, by not being Avid :P but you get what you pay for and this is a nice step up from an entry-level bike. In the future I may switch to Shimano hydraulic brakes, based on their solid reputation. Stopping power is great, however.

Favorite Trail:   Womble (AR)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Trail SL4 2011

Submitted by Big McK a Weekend Warrior from Williamstown, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    Light frame, agile GEO, Solid drive train component group. Pop-lock Rock Shox REBA fork. I have found the Rocket Ron tires to be a good all around choice. The bike climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    Brakes. The Avid 3s stop you ok but wow are they annoying.

Bottom Line:
    I shopped a bit before buying this and a big factor was the frame weight and geo. Scott offers a slightly more shallow HTA at 69.5 degrees than most others who come in between 70 and 72. So far this has been a BLAST to ride. Does all the things a 29er ought to. Smooths out the trails, descends with the quickness and climbs with ease. A really good frame with geometry that fits me. An excellent fork and a solid component group.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay/ Middle Run, Ceres Park

Purchased At:   D&Q

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock. I'm going to cut the bars down about an inch on each side and put lock on grips on.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2012

Strengths:    Stability on descents, climbs like a mountain goat, Value.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    I was very impressed with this bike. I got an extra large and was a little worried that I should have gotten a large.I'm about 6'2" ish. After riding this bike I'm glad I got the XL. The first time I rode this bike I rode the tightest, rockiest trails I could find and at no time did I wish for a smaller bike. The bike surprised me on the descents as I was always in control of the line I was on and could change lines easily even on some very very steep descents criss crossed with roots. I also have a Yeti 575 (that I love) and felt more in control on the Scott hardtail. Maybe its the bigger wheels, maybe I just go in way fast on the Yeti. After reading previous reviews I was worried I would not like the Elixir3 brakes.My LBS, where I purchased the bike recomended that I "bed in"the pads with several panic type stops on the road. I did this and found that the brakes got better with every stop and made no noise. So I have no plan to change out these brakes anytime soon, they just plain work well. The seat kinda hurts and I had to rotate the handle bar to get a comfortable position, no big deal. The stock tires are hookin up well for me, after experimenting with air pressure, and seem to roll fast.

Favorite Trail:   FLT Mt.Morris

Similar Products Used:   rigid single speed 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock as delivered

Submitted by GrantB a Cross Country Rider from Macon, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    Handling/Geometry. Weight.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    This is my first 29er, purchased to replace a broken 26 inch hard tail. I enjoy the handling, sort of in that baby bear's porridge space of not too quick, not too slow. That being said, folks who ride in the deep woods may find the handling a little on the slow side, but I don't mind working the bike a little bit for the tradeoff in carving down the line. The front end is super easy to get up and over obstacles. You aren't just relegated to a head down, pedal and plow ride like I experienced on other 29ers I test rode. I have raced it once in a 50 miler of mixed singletrack and fs roads and was really, really happy with the bike there. Seems like the perfect application for it. When not in the woods, the bike is a perfect get around town ride and happily tows my kid to school in the morning. I'm surprised by how happy I am with this bike.

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   First 29er, though I tested Niners, Specializeds and Konas.

Bike Setup:   Not the Scott build. The Competitive Cyclist build came with a Reba, X9 rear der., Easton EA70 wheelset and components.

Submitted by IVman a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2011

Strengths:    Fast! Excellent climber!

Weaknesses:    Horrible brakes! They have squealed and sqeaked constantly from day one and organic pads didn't help. Modulation? What modulation?

Bottom Line:
    Bought bike in June as my starter XC race bike and absolutely love it! First time riding it on my local trail I beat my PB by 10%. It definitely gets your heart pounding and it's a head-turner to boot. Absolutely awesome bike! I recommend it for anyone wanting to get into XC.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Alpha Bikes

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale Elite(M)frame, XT drivetrain, XTR brakes, Thomson offset seatpost and stem, FSA K-Force Flat Carbon Bar, Ergon GS2 Team green grips, Specialized Henge saddle. wt. 24ish

Submitted by Jono a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2011

Strengths:    Looks great, Rides Beautifully, Was not bent out of the box and was in Australia... (see below for story on that one)

Weaknesses:    As mentioned earlier - White grips and saddle on a MTB??

Bottom Line:
    This bike is awesome. I'm 6' 6" tall and am on the XL frame, the only change is the Thompson Elite post cos the Scott one was 2cm to short. This was my first 29er and I won't go back. The guys I ride with still can't believe how fast the bike is. It really does climb like a home sick angel, it sticks in the corners amazingly, it is a joy to ride. If you can get one do yourself a favour!!! The 'bent' comment comes from ordering a Kona, waiting 6 months (it arrived 3 months late) but the brake mount was welded on bent.... At any rate 1 week later I was on the Scott, a better bike that looks great and man the ride is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Kalamunda 30Km

Purchased At:   Malaga Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First 29er but had a Kona Explosif for years!

Bike Setup:   Stock XL frame. Thompson Elite Seat post.

Submitted by darrinw2001 a Weekend Warrior from valrico

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    light weight, great geometry, handles very well

Weaknesses:    stock wheels were a little cheap (but so are most bikes in this price range), seat was not very comfy, but that is all

Bottom Line:
    This is for the 2010 Scale 29er I bought used. love the way the bike rides and how it handles. my 1st 29er was a lot more clunky on the trails, this bike rides more like a race 26er.. handles turns very quick, and the bike is very light. This is a very good 1st attempt at a 29er for Scott and I cant wait to try the new Spark 29er coming out!

Favorite Trail:   Florida

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Caffeine 29er

Bike Setup:   2010 Scale 29er w/ Specialized Phenom saddle, Ergon Gx1 team grips, and Now Velocity Blunt rims with DT Swiss 340 rear and Sram X9 front hub. Avid elixer 5's, Shimano xt drive train

Submitted by davesc a Weekend Warrior from Charleston, SC

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Strengths:    Great bike, I have a Garry Fischer Wahoo and let me tell you there is no comparison between a Trek and this SCOTT, Scott 29ers kick ass

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike, I love a 29er and I love SCOTT, this bike is great.

Favorite Trail:   Fant's Grove

Purchased At:   Columbia, SC

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fischer Wahoo

Bike Setup:   Scale Elite 29

Submitted by tgoehner a Cross Country Rider from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light, excellent geometry, very responsive, great price, comfortable, and rigid.

Weaknesses:    None other than the Avid Elixir 3 brakes.

Bottom Line:
    After trying out several 29ers, I chose the best feeling, most responsive bike out of the group. The Scott Scale Elite is light (26lbs.), very responsive, and rolls over everything—rocks, roots, and bumps just seem to flatten out. I took the bike (stock setup) to a local trail the day I picked it up from the shop and rode the route 10 minutes faster then my fastest time on my 26inch hardtail. I was fairly happy with the stock setup, but felt the bike could use some adjustments. I switched out the handlebars for a wider, and lighter set which made the bike even more responsive. I switched out the RockShock Recon Gold TK fork for a Manitou Tower Pro, which is lighter and more smooth overall. I also changed out the saddle—because I really like my Prologo Kappa Pas. Being a road cycle saddle, it is very comfortable for long distances. One of the biggest changes I made was switching out the Avid Elixir 3 brakes for Formula RX brakes. The Elixir 3 brakes just didn’t have the feel and stopping power I was hoping for. The Formula RX brakes are exceptional. The Scale’s geometry is excellent, it has a slack head angle (69.5) which makes it stable while steering very well. Most 29ers have a very steep head angle (71.5), and the ones that I have rode in the past seemed very twitchy when cornering. This is a great bike and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 29er. I am riding the XL because of my 6'4" 225lb. frame and the bike fits me perfectly. I would recommend this bike over similar 29ers.

Favorite Trail:   Slaughterpen, Bentonville Arkansas