Scott Scale 29 Comp 29er Hardtail

4.63/5 (32 Reviews)

The new custom butted 6061 aluminum Scale 29 Team is a lightweight and durable 29” hardtail. With Shimano brakes and drivetrain, and the same celebrated geometry as its carbon siblings, it gives you a great value in a big wheeled bike.

• Frame: Scale 29 alloy 6061
  • Suspension: Suntour XCR 29 LO, 100mm
  • Group set: Shimano SLX / Alivio

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by darren

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is my first 29er , although i have the 2012 version with deore mechs and xcr forks, the more i ride it the more i love it. It climbs and decends really well even at speed,the tyres are pretty grippy even on loose ground, brakes are great too .The ritchey headset is super smooth and the gears shift really well.

Weaknesses:    Dont like the way the front wheel bows out to the fork legs under heavy braking,the saddle can get a bit uncomfortable on long rides ,other than that great machine !!!!!

Bottom Line:
    As my previous bike had better components (XT/XTR,HOPE , PACE forks) i was pleasantly surprised at how well the scott copes with what ever i threw at it. So to anyone out there who may not like the idea of making the change to a 29er dont be put off you will be glad you did and the scott is a great bike for the price, well worth the money.

Submitted by Angus Robertson

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Strengths:    Fast climber, fast downhill, excellent trail bike, frame is top notch for the price range, bike looks great.

Weaknesses:    The seat is a killer, I swapped it out after 15 miles, the pedals got swapped out immediately.
    I read the fork is not great, but this is a bike worthy of a fork upgrade, which I will do in time.

Bottom Line:
    I looked hard at many of the best bikes under $1000.
    Came down to a Specialized Rockhopper, A Trek Mamba, Specialized Carve, and the new 2013 Scott 970. It was a tough choice and I think that any of the above would have been just as good a bike, but the choice had to made and what swung it for me was the frame quality, as I figured any of the components could be swapped out at my leisure. The Specialized Carve was a bit outwith my budget, the Specialized Rockhopper is a real nice bike but I thought the Scott frame was better and the Scot 970 had the best components, except forks, but the frame was not quite as good as the Comp. The Trek is a great bike, but I got the Comp for cheaper, so thats what swung it. It is a bike that will last me for many years, I hope, and I am very happy with it.
    This is my first 29er, and I have to say how much better and faster it feels riding a 29er than the 26, just my own view.

Submitted by max

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    I'm 6'3' tall. The wide handlebars make this cockpit the perfect fit.The bike's handling is awesome. The brakes and shifters are better than I hoped for on a bike at this price.

Weaknesses:    Yeah I guess the seat is a bit hard. The grips have no cushion effect whatsoever, but gel gloves solved that. The stock pedals were the first thing to be changed.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted a 29'er. Rode Trek, Specialized, Felt, and Cannondale. (all really nice bikes, but none made me feel like I couldn't live without it) I saw this bike and it just looked tough. Beautiful paint scheme. I was pretty sure it was the bike I had seen in a review for the top 12 mtb's under $1000. I rode the bike and didn't want to get off of it.Went back early the next morning after thinking it over and bought it.
    I took the bike straight to a State Park near my home to get a feel for it on the dirt. The first decline I hit, was an S turn with a gravel bed at the last turn segment. The bike was fast enough to get me to hold my breath. I ended up riding around the pond trails for about 2 hours, each time hitting the tough spots more and more aggressively , and loving how well the bike responded to everything I wanted it to do.
    I ride with my teenage boys a lot. They used to make fun of me that I couldn't keep up. They aren't laughing anymore. If you are thinking of a 29'er in this price range, make sure you ride this bike before you make a decision.

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent Handling. Great geometry. Versatile.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. I was looking for a great bike at a great price. I looked at lots of bikes before finding this one. I saw it on the wall and it just looked great. I then took it out for a test ride and new I had to have it. Best bike I road for the price range. I've taken it out several times and I it is amazing on the trails. I would recommend this bike for sure.

Submitted by Bob

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Strengths:    Very light aluminum frame

Weaknesses:    None very good

Bottom Line:
    Very good bike so far I've hade it for almost a year now and no probs.

Submitted by Theboss a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2012

Strengths:    The 29 in wheels Are the best part they make you much more confident on tough trails. Also the handling is great considering the fact that it is a 29er.

Weaknesses:    The pedals are kinda small but i put toe clips on it.

Bottom Line:
    This was my first 29er and my first "real" mountain bike. So far it has performed well and it is blazing fast uphill. I would
    recommend this bike to anyone looking to get into the sport.

Purchased At:   Joy ride bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock except for toe clips

Submitted by Trail Addict

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Light frame, spot on XC race geometry, beautiful colors.

Weaknesses:    Stock fork is garbage, bottom bracket sits very low.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike! This is my first 29er bike. I bought it new this year and so far it has exceeded my expectations. The geometry is perfect for everything like climbing, downhill, and good handling. The frame is very lightweight, the stock rims are a little on the heavy side but they are tough as tanks. The color scheme on this model really turns heads.

The only 2 things I disliked about this bike. The first was the stock garbage Suntour fork. Seriously upgrade the fork as soon as you buy one of these bikes. The stock fork is not adjustable and is very stiff, the lockout on it does work very good though.

The second thing I disliked about it was the fact that the bottom bracket sits extremely low. If you go over a log or a boulder the chainwheel will hit it and get damaged. Also the cranks will occasionally hit rocks on the trail since they go pretty low as well.

All in all it is a very fast and nimble bike.

Submitted by hugh a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    at bike for the price. I got it on sale at rei. it was the only 29er i could find in my size xl in stock in my price range, you get what you pay for. I've enjoyed riding this bike more then any I've had. feel more confident every time i ride it. I'm 60yrs old and i feel like a kid riding this thing.

Weaknesses:    the fork is adequate depending on the terrain. but again in the price range you get value for what you pay for

Bottom Line:
    the frame is the key to this bike. it's excellent. I switched my tires to tubeless and it was like I got a new wheelset.the bike is worth putting upgrades on. if you do some serious trail riding an upgrade in the fork deptartment will be worth it. however at the price i paid for it and the fun it has delivered has been well worth it. I don't feel like i overpaid which i think many bikes depending on rider skill level you can overpay for. definelely worth it for the budget minded rider. you'll get a great ride and be happy you did.

Favorite Trail:   pemberton in az.

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   rented cialized stumpjumper comp 29er to get the feel of the 29er thing. very good bike but twice the price for what I got.

Bike Setup:   stock except for i repaced the 11-32 rear cog set with 11-34 it helps on the climbs. and did the tubeless conversion which has worked excellent.

Submitted by Renier

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    Had the bike for 2 months. The big tires are eating up the tree roots and erosion dongas. Could`t ask for a better bike.

Weaknesses:    To do the nature of the roads that I must ride there are a lot of thorns. I must have already replaced 2 tubes that were `stabbed to death`. So the weakness for me is the tire and tube are two thin. Seat are hard.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent bike, great value must have to people with a budget. If the seat and if it can be done change it do tubeless tires.

Submitted by Manjo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    The frame and its geometry. STX rear derailleur. Hydraulic brakes. Schwalbe tires.

Weaknesses:    Though I don't find the Suntour fork bad on the trail at all, after reading all the negative comments you may feel envious whenever a bike rides by with RockShox or a Fox fork.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a light 29er with an excellent geometry for my 5'8" height. Though not as nimble as my old 26er I find this bike fun to ride no matter where I go. Although the ride is not as snappy I feel like can ride over anything with greater confidence. Keep in mind I ride in Massachusetts so I'm in wooded doubletrack with windy singletrack. Mostly hardpack with roots and rock. So no mountainous terrain, but plenty of hills. This bike climbs great and the descents are solid and confident. The schwalbe tires provide excellent traction and the Draco brakes are solid and quiet.

Besides the great frame this bike came with the best rear derailleur in its price range. The STX has been reliable even during times of stress like switching gears on a steep incline. The Alivio front has also done well, but I certainly don't use it as much as my rear derailleur.

The seat is hard, but aren't they all? Unless you buy a 5lbs gel saddle your ass will have to get used to it. I've sat on worse saddles.

Then there is the XCT fork. I think It works really pretty well. Maybe it's because I'm on a 29er, but it soaks up the bumps and the hits. I've never bottomed it out and seems to get the job done. Keep in mind I ride trails where my wheels stay on the ground most of the time. I'm not flying down a mountain with 5-10 ft drops. Will I upgrade? Yeah, probably. Mostly because I have fork envy. Nevertheless, I wouldn't avoid the Scale Comp because of the fork.

Overall, the bike is light and fit me great. Climbs excellent and descends jut as well. Tire traction is great and the rear derailleur does the job. Brakes are solid and quiet. The saddle is hard like every other one and the fork does a good job. I've had no mechanical issues or noises that make me question the build quality. I highly recommend any Scott Scale bike.

Favorite Trail:   Willowdale Forest

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Tested Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp, Kona Big Kahuna, Trek Cobia.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by riverrock0203 a All Mountain Rider from Dalton

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    I like the shocks, firm, but with give all in the right places.

Weaknesses:    The Seat and factory pedals. The peddles have worn out after about 300 miles. ? lol is this to much? But yes buy it you won't go wrong, awsome ride, awsome!

Bottom Line:
    This bike handles well on the street as well as the mountain tops of Georgia. I think if you have to go all out in price and get a bike that costs 2,3,or 4 thousand dollars, I would bet that you should not be riding in the first place. If you are going to be a bad azz then prove it! ride the 29er Scott hard tail and really experience the mountain the god made for us!! Have a blast and invite me for a ride. riverrock0203@gmail.com

Favorite Trail:   Pinhoti Trail

Purchased At:   Bear Creek MTB

Similar Products Used:   Specialized. Scott is a way better bike

Submitted by Troy.peterson a All Mountain Rider from Kennesaw, Ga

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Superb component group and very light at 25.9 lbs for the price. The bike's geometry is very comfortable. Most all of my riding is done on tight trails over rocks and roots, and the bike is very nimble and light with solid traction. Great Looks Graphics/paint job are awesome, gets lots of looks in the parking lot!

Weaknesses:    Saddle is not very comfortable. Possible upgrade or maybe I just need beeter bike shorts. Handlebars are extremely wide, so when I first hit the trails I was also hitting the Trees. I remedied this by removing 1.5" from each side, an easy fix. I'm sure the engineers had a good reason for giving the bike the extra wide handlebars but they obviously don't ride in the woods in Georgia.

Bottom Line:
    Rock solid bike for the price. If your into tight trails with lots of rock and roots this is a great hardtail for under a thousand. I have been very happy with it and have ridden more in the past three months, than I had in the past couple of years because the bike performs so well I just can't stay off of it. I'm giving the value a top rating, I think it was the absolute best value for the money. Overall is a 4 because of the saddle and handlebars.

Favorite Trail:   Van Michael Trail, Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Atlanta Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock

Bike Setup:   Standard Set-up minus 1.5" of handlebar on both left and right sides.

Submitted by Beecken87 a All Mountain Rider from Franklinville

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    JuSt bought bike about 3 hours ago and not sure about what's good or bad but it's a really nice bike

Weaknesses:    Seat is kinda hard

Bottom Line:
    I was in the market for a new bike for about a year and did a lot of research. For the money you really do get a lot of bang for your buck. I have not ridden in almost 6 years and this was a big purchase for me, well worth it. I believe it s a little better than just an entry level bike and will last me many years to come. If anyone is local to franklinville nj hit me up so we can go riding

Purchased At:   Mojo bike shop Vinel

Submitted by noserider1 a Weekend Warrior from Cedar Grove, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2011

Strengths:    Some pretty good components adding value to a under 30 lbs bike. There is nothing crucial that you must switch out immediately for the bike to be better.

Weaknesses:    Seat is rough, the coils shocks of the suntour XC is under whelming (However has a TRUE no play lockout).

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is this: For under a grand, you are getting a pretty sweet platform to start off with. It is much cheaper than going a frame build up! With this you can budget build what you want without breaking the bank.

if you are you are novice to intermediate moving into a 29er, this is a great bike for you!

This is fast rolling, 29er with a pretty agile and responsive ride.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis Morris Park