Salsa Cycles El Mariachi Ti 29er Hardtail

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Throw a leg over the Salsa El Mariachi Ti, cue up the guitar music, and hit the trail. If you thought Salsa's new steel El Mariachi was the bees knees, the titanium version will just about knock your socks off. A monster-sized, two-inch head tube gives the El Mariachi Ti all the front-end stiffness you need, while the Rock Shox Reba 29er fork provides eighty millimeters of bump-smoothing suspension so your wrists don't feel like you've spent a week on the jackhammer.

Submitted by Iamrockandroll13

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2013

Strengths:    - The ride quality is magical, seriously plush.
- Plenty stiff in the BB area and lateral stiffness is confidence inspiring.
- All day geometry is super comfortable. Go hard all day long and get off your bike with a smile.
- Alternator Dropouts, 44mm headset, and full length cable housing guides make this a modern and extremely versatile machine.
- Solid value for a frame of this quality
- Beautiful and timeless raw Ti finish

Weaknesses:    -None, this frame is bomber to the max.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the frame only.

Steel may very well be real, but Titanium is downright magical. The ride qualities of Ti are worth the small weight penalty over carbon. Though this frame weighs almost exactly the same amount as the much cheaper alloy frame it replaced, the difference in how it rides is worth every penny. I did not know a hardtail could be this plush and not be a noodle. The BB area and lateral stiffness are on par with my Giant XTC alloy frame, which is to say, very stiff. This frame inspires confidence when descending and climbs well and without drama. This frame makes me want to ride all. day. long. On the technical side of things, the 2013 model comes equipped with alternator dropouts, runs a zero stack 44mm headset compatible with tapered steerer tubes, and is equipped with cable guides designed for full length housing. This allows me to have one extremely versatile bike. I can run rigid single speed, then roll back to the car and in 10 minutes set the bike out with a suspension fork and 1x10 gears. This frame is extremely well designed and offers features frames twice the cost do not. I find the alternator drop outs to be the best single speed chain tensioning system on the market. They allow for fast trouble free flat changes on the trail, without the creaking issues EBB's can have or the slipping problems sliders can have.

bottom line, if you are looking for a bomber hardtail or rigid frame you'd be hard pressed to find a better one for the money.

Submitted by EH

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    Had the bike since january 2013, purchased complete as shown on picture (2012 model and set up) @Bikesport Houston. Great Bike. Good store. Recently did a 24 Hrs Race with it and my back still thanks me. Will update in future with lighter components and fork. Excellent geometry

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Perfect back if you only do MTB Xcountry race from time to time. Excellent for long rides (over 5-6 hours). A do it all MTB. There is no perfect bike (everyone has different needs) but this one has been a very good fit for me. Did a lot of research before purchase (it was my first 29er and Ti). Had Aluminium and Carbon before that . Doble suspension also (which I think is a must have if you MTB in a rocky area).

Favorite Trail:   Chipinque (Mexico).

Purchased At:   Bike Sport Houston

Bike Setup:   2012/ X9/X0

Submitted by Tea@Dimbola a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, Weight, Simplicity, - A pleasure to ride!

Weaknesses:    Can't downhill like a DW link Turner!

Bottom Line:
If I tell you that I have a Turner Flux in the garage that’s hardly been ridden 9 months since I got the El-MarTi then that should tell you something.
I should say I’m not a great technical rider I hardly ever get airborne but I love to go downhill really fast on rutted stony bridleways and to ride flowy forest singletrack.
The El-Mar Ti with no rear suspension can do almost everything I can do on the Flux and, even with big wheels, it’s over 2 pounds lighter and very easy to clean!
Okay- it can’t quite match the Turner downhill and on really rough stuff, but for my kind MTB Club rides on forest singletrack and stony South Downs bridleways and Occasional Marathon events it is fast, comfortable and perfectly capable.
When I first got the El-Mar, I was just blown away with how comfortable it was on my regular riding. Yes my brother (riding my Turner) kicked my ass bigtime on a fast stony downhill where I usually beat him. My reaction at the time was “Okay the Salsa can’t downhill like a Turner but it can climb and cover ground much better unless it’s really rough – so that’s a fair tradeoff.” Since then I’ve learned to ride the Salsa better and am now far quicker and more confident downhill and can more or less keep up with my brother.
You’ll maybe think I’m damning the El-Mar with faint praise but I say you’re wrong! I’m actually saying this light, simple, easy-to-clean 29er hardtail compares extremely well with one of the best full suspension marathon bikes in existence!

Favorite Trail:   South Downs around Funtington, Compton & Cocking

Duration Product Used:   9 Months

Purchased At:   That online auction

Similar Products Used:   Cotic Soul and Soda.
Santa Cruz Superlight, Heckler, Nicolai Helius CC, Turner Flux (my current suspension bike)

Bike Setup:   Stans Arch Ex wheels on Stans hubs and DT supercomp spokes
Thomson Post and zero degree 90mm stem, SGD Bel Air saddle
Salsa 11 degree sweep flat bar, King headset.
Fox F29 15mm bolt-thru
Hope X2 Evo brakes
Full XT drivechain.

Submitted by ®andyA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    Titanium
'Long rides'-friendly geometry
44mm headtube
Traditional BB interface
Light weight, yet solid and strong build

Weaknesses:    Long-ish chainstays may not be favorable for 'fast' XC racers
Traditional BB interface doesn't support newer BB30/PF30 cranks
Not easily SS-able
Pricey compared to Al or steel

Bottom Line:
NOTE: Review of frame only

I've been riding the El Mar Ti now for a good 3 months and have loved the ride. Being Titanium, you can expect to get pretty much all of the usual Ti benefits; lightweight compared to steel, absorbs trail chatter better than steel and Al, and durable. Yes, you can get a lighter bike frame in Al or carbon, but Ti has such a great feel that you just have to experience. Once you do you're hooked. I've owned a Ti 26er before and that experience led me to getting the Ti El Mar.

The things that distinguish the Ti El Mar:
1. Large diameter 2" downtube: With the bigger 2" downtube, I feel less flex in the BB area. My previous Ti mtb was a 26er with a 1.5" DT. Flex was noticeable in high torque situations, like out of the saddle acceleration. While it wasn't 'noodly' it definitely took more effort to bring the bike to speed. OTOH, the Ti El Mar is nice and solid with the 2" DT. I feel every pedal stroke gets the power down immediately.

2. 44mm headtube: I like the option of being able to use 1-1/8" or tapered forks. The 44mm headtube is great for that. But from a riding aspect, I feel the 44mm headtube lends itself to a laterally stiff front end. The biggest difference I noticed when on my first ride with the Ti El Mar was how well it tracked. Yes, I did also have a tapered fork, but from the feel at the handlebars I noticed less 'wandering' on tight turns, as well as fast swooping turns. I definitely enjoyed the more 'point and shoot' feel.

3. All-day, long ride geometry: While I do enjoy some XC racing, the geometry of the El Mar really shines during long rides. Sure it's not super fast in the turns. But it definitely cut in turns better than my previous bike (Niner SIR9). I think the combination of the longer chainstays and stiffer front end keep things nice and stable for long rides. While the HT angle and longer fork offsets of newer forks help to quicken the steering without being twitchy. Also, while one might think the long-ish chainstay might hinder climbing, my experience has not been that way. Whether in a 'sit & spin' situation or punchy, power climbs that get me out of the saddle, the El Mar has climbed very well - even better than my old Niner bike with shorter chainstays.

4. While some might criticize the lack of the alternator dropouts, I don't intend to SS the El Mar so it's a non-issue. Also some might see the lack of BB30/PF30, or Maxle (142x12), interface as a negative. But I don't. I still like using square taper cranks and BB's, and I still have wheels that are stiff enough for any kind of XC riding or racing I do, so those newer 'standards', I think, are solutions for problems that don't exist for your typical hardtail mtb.

So far, overall this has been my dream bike frame. Light, strong, and (expected to be) durable. Also, being welded by Lynskey in TN is a great plus. And really at the price, it is a good deal for a Made in USA Ti frame.

Submitted by grizzler a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Purchase the frame only- my dream hardtail! Beautiful titanium frame made by Lynskey that rides great as well. Went from an alluminum hardtail to this. Feels great on the trail and definitely seems to absorb more (hands and lower back are happier). Extremely well made and has handled my tumbles with grace. Looking forward to riding this bike for many, many years.

Weaknesses:    No alternators! But maybe I'm being greedy.

Bottom Line:
Good stuff but not cheap, but cheap for ti. Long term bicycle investment of awesomeness.

Favorite Trail:   50 year

Salsa carbon risers
Avid Elixir CR

Submitted by msrabito a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    Fantastic geometry. Joy to ride. Stable, light, fast and made in USA. No paint. Very high quality construction. Cool red pepper on seat and fancy metal pepper on headtube. Beautiful. Great tires for hard pack. Wonderful brakes once broken in properly (important!). Very positive shifting. Great fork. 2x10 is fantastic. 26.3 lbs with pd520 pedals

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Front brake requires break-in procedure that, if not followed, will require pads to be serviced and broken in properly. Once done, you will love them. You may have to wait for one as many stores do not stock them.

Bottom Line:
I would buy again. Fun to ride! Don't buy if you don't love long, fast fun rides; or, if all you care about is having the lightest most fragile bike.

Favorite Trail:   Big Cedar

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, Orbea

Bike Setup:   18" frame, cheap Shimano spd pedals, the rest is stock. Reba fork set for 160 lb rider (I am 150).

Submitted by gnhmso a Cross Country Rider from Missoula, MT, US

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely well balanced bike - shortish chainstays combine with 71 degree head angle to make this bike a superb climber. Super stiff front end combined with a Reba thru axle fork makes it track really well through hard fast chundery corners. Very flickable for a 29er. Build specs are outstanding for the price. Especially notable are the Stan's Arch rims which go tubeless very easily.

Weaknesses:    Only fits up to 2.3 tires. I know, this is supposed to be a cross country bike, but it handles well in big techy stuff and it'd be nice to have the option to put 2.5s on there for the gnarly trails of the world.

Bottom Line:
Kick ass Ti ride with killer build and perfect geometry for the price. It'd get a five with room for 2.5s. Buy it if you like to rip fast singletrack and do big climbs.

Favorite Trail:   Curly Lake