Salsa Cycles Dos Niner 29er Hardtail

For use with 80mm travel fork
Flat chainstays and Relish air shock give 1" rear travel
Front derailleur clamp: 34.9mm
Includes Salsa Lip-Lock seat collar
Sizes: 16", 18", 20" and 22"
4.1 lbs for 18" with shock
Color: Greengo!
$1040.00 MSRP (frame only)

Submitted by Grizzattack a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    This bike does it all you can race it (its light), tour it (bikepacking), or just cruise efficently on virtually any terrain - from gnarly singletrack to endless gravel grinds. Its a 29er.

Weaknesses:    Accommodates only 80mm of front travel, limited tire size for rear. Some earlier models had problems with frames cracking, later ones do not. The bike has been discountined, although Salsa hints ever-so-often that they may bring it back, lets hope so.

Bottom Line:
This is the swiss army knives of mountain bikes, a common analogy is that the Dos Niner is a hardtail - "with benefits". I have raced my Dos on tons of singletrack, ridden endless miles of fire roads and have even pondered bikepacking it into the wilds. The frame is light but sturdy, being made of Scandium which I refer to as "poor mans titanium" If you cant afford a Moots Moto YBB, then the Dos is the next best thing. Long live the Dos Niner, I love mine!

Favorite Trail:   kokopelli Trail section near Fruita, CO

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Giant NRS, Yeti Cycles AS-R Alloy

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano XT. RockShox Reba 29er fork American Classic 29er XC Tubeless Wheelset, Specialized 2Bliss tires, WTB Devo Saddle.

Submitted by Ryder1 a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, looks cool, comes into its own when ridden at high speeds (read: build this bike up to be ridden FAST)

Weaknesses:    Long wheelbase might not be right for some (but is ok for my long-legged self)

Bottom Line:
No other frame competes with this frame near this price point. No, a Reynolds 853 29er HT is not as "compliant" - I know, I have one and dig it. 1" of rear suspension allows you to sit through a lot of stuff you simply can't on a HT, plus you can ride through messy stuff better/faster (you'll maintain speed better, but acceleration is not that of a HT). Will it climb like a rigid 29er SS? Of course not. This bike is a great compromise between HT and FS, for those who want/need something more forgiving than a HT, but refuse to go FS. If you're a bit on the placid side, and like to get in the saddle and pedal, and pedal more, this is your bike. The long chainstays makes things a bit boring, but make for a smooth, stable, fast, efficient ride at high speeds.

Favorite Trail:   Not sure

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   29er HTs, 29er FS, 3" 26" bike, and 4" 26" bike

Bike Setup:   Fox F29 at 100mm, 1X9 x9, King/Flows tubeless

Submitted by tim a Cross Country Rider from Danbury, CT

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Strengths:    It was a good entry into the 29er world. The frame is light and pretty nimble on the downhills. Climbs well enough when the fork is locked.

Weaknesses:    The frame felt spongy and flexy. The standover height made for some awkward moments during unexpected dismounts. Frame was easily dented and the flexing rear end ultimately failed after 3 years.

Bottom Line:
The Dos Niner was my go to bike for the better part of three years (singletrack, dirt roads, races and commuting). I eventually rode the life out of it. The frame failed at welds of both chain stays where it meets the bottom bracket. Scandium like aluminum can only take so many flexes before it fails and unfortunatly the flexing of the rear end is a "feature" that will ultimately cause the demise of your ride. I really could not tell that there was 1 inch of travel in the rear end. Since the 1 inch of travel adds extra weight and reduces the lifespan of the frame I would encourage you to look to a true hard tail. I'm now on a Gary Fisher Rig Single Speed 29er (rigid front and rear) and am amazed at how much faster I can get through the roots and rocks of the woods. The Dos Niner was a good bike but the geometry and flexing of the frame made it tough to ride in really technical stuff. The faster you went the better it was but the slow tricky stuff was not where it shined.

Favorite Trail:   That really long one with the rocks

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Rig SS 29er. Love it.

Bike Setup:   Reba Race Shock, Shimano XT front & rear, Avid mechanical discs, Crappy wheels not worth mentioning.

Submitted by kkjellquist a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great light frame that can be found at some killer prices if you look around. Shock is very close to 'set it and forget it'. Climbs like a hard tail, descends like a soft tail. Great bike for the LOOOOOONG days!

Weaknesses:    Cable routing for rear brake is poorly thought out & requires a zip tie in the middle of the top tube.

Bottom Line:
A very underrated bike in the 29er world. Rides better than steel, lighter than steel, way lighter than full suspension rigs, great customer service from Salsa.

Favorite Trail:   Squirrel Gap

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Niner MCR, Bianchi Sok

Bike Setup:   Reba, King Wheels, XTR/XO mix

Submitted by dosman45 a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Strengths:    Super comfortable and awesome geometry

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Awesome build up, and this bike is extremely comfortable, I usually do 20-25 miles a day and this thing is very nice. The rear 1" takes just enough of the edge off. So much better than my old Gary Fisher Ziggurat hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Built it myself

Similar Products Used:   first soft-tail

Bike Setup:   Full XT and XTR (1 x 9), XTR shadow rear, with Avid Juicy carbon brakes, ZTR Flow wheels with X9 hubs (tubless of course) with Maxxis Crossmarks, King bottom bracket and headset, Salsa pro moto carbon bars.

Submitted by litchenberger@yahoo.com a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    I love this bike. It is a all around trail monster. I went to it from some 26" FS but this blows them all away. I saw an add on CL and went over and scooped this bike right up because it was to good to pass up. I am all about soft tail and the big wheels it is just enough to not need a 29" FS

Weaknesses:    Paint chips off super easy

Bottom Line:
Couldn't ask for a bike to treat me better. If you are looking for a awesome bike that not everyone has you found it. This bike takes everything I can throw at it and I am a big boy. 6'3" 260lb.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Redline Monocog, Trek Fuel 80, Trek Fuel 95, Giant Trance 3

Bike Setup:   Avid Elixir CR, XO drivetrain, FSA V Drive, Thomson Elite

Submitted by kona 95 a Cross Country Rider from Miami FL

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2010

Strengths:    tried and true. well developed with a strong concept that was followed through with. Right away I was able to get into the 29er attributes without any problem. This was a surprise as other 29ers felt strange after hours of riding. Good alignment on all mechanicals,good welds. no problems with QC.

Weaknesses:    stock seat was poor.

Bottom Line:
It didnt feel as foriegn as other 29ers. It wasnt squishy. I like "softails" (scaples)as i dont feel like the bike is making me lazy. I ride full suspension 26ers sometimes, and also steel hardtails. So far I think this bikes takes the best of each and puts it together. I can ride it for 2 hours and get a good workout without feeling that "jarring" over rock gardens or roots. The 29 advantages allow you to rest more often in the flats but keep the flow, and that allows you to have energy to hit it when the trail ramps up and you have to crank it. THis is a good direction in mountain biking. This is a good bike and it was a hard decision. The components and concept behind pushed me in its direction. I am picky with bikes and I would buy this again without thinking twice. I havent ridden my other bikes since i got this and dont think i will for a long time. If you like hardtails and their qualites, but see advantages in full suspension, go ahead and Buy it. Its a good bike.

Favorite Trail:   tsali

Purchased At:   webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   felt, cannondales, gary fishers, konas - all 29ers

Bike Setup:   XT mechanicals throughout, cane creek, race face, WTB prowler tires, salsa rims, salsa seat post, salsa stem - this is the way it was sold from webcyclery and as a complete bike from salsa

Submitted by mblock a Racer from Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Strengths:    Extra cush the soft tail provides is fantastic. Frame is still relatively lightweight and it won't break the bank to buy.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I have been riding 26" full suspension for a long time and I don't feel the need to ever go back now that I have the Dos Niner. I wouldn't say it is as plush as a 26" F.S. bike but paired up with the bigger wheels and a good tubeless setup it certainly provides a nice level of comfort. All this while still remaining nimble in tight single track and climbs like a hardtail. I'm around 170 lbs and run the rear shock with no more than 5 psi and I have even run it at zero pressure.

This is my first 29'er and after holding out for a long time I am pleased I made the switch to bigger wheels. The 80mm Minute fork feels like it has as much travel as my 100mm R7 that was on my Superlight. I recently raced this bike to a personal best finish on a course I have done for many years. Excellent product! Thank you Salsa!!

Favorite Trail:   Nine Mile, Levis Trow

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Not really similar but a Santa Cruz Superlight and Giant NRS Air, Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail, Gary Fisher Procaliber Ltd. (carbon) hardtail, Gary Fisher X-Caliber steel hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Size medium frame. SRAM X.0 twisters, X.9 rear derailleur, Rival front derailleur. XT 11-34t cassette, Origin 8 Sub 2x9 crank (w/ 38/26t rings), FSA Platinum BB (ISIS), Syntace f99 stem, Easton EC90 flat bar, Chris King headset, Manitou Minute 29'er (80mm), KCNC Ti Prolite seatpost, WTB Silverado saddle, WTB Laserdisc hubs 3x laced to Stan's ZTR 355 rims, Salsa skewers, and Kenda Karma 1.9's tubeless. Total weight 23.3 lbs.

Submitted by AK47 a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, cool paint job (2006 model), handles very well, comfortable geometry

Weaknesses:    Paint seems a little less than durable

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. I got very lucky and found a brand new 2006 model on Ebay in 2009. I had a Niner MCR9 which is a great bike, but I was looking for something lighter that had a little more of a cush ride. The Dos was very intriguing to me.

The Relish 1" shock combined with the 29er wheels makes for a comfy ride. I have mine built up at 26lbs, and she flies! For me, it combines some of the attributes and benefits of a full suspension bike with the simplicity of a hardtail. It's by no means full suspension, but does help take the edge off rougher trail conditions and helps provide an even smoother ride to compliment the already smooth rolling 29er wheels.

I also like being able to stand and hammer without the suspension bob. The only weakness is the paint does seem a little on the fragile side, but I put Bonk frame protector on the underside of the down tube and in other key locations.

I have been running a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 front/Crossmark 2.1 rear combo with great results. If I want an even more compliant ride, I will throw on a WTB Weirwolf LT 2.5 front/WTB Exiwolf 2.3 rear combo. No chainstay rub with the Exiwolf. This adds about 1 pound more weight.

Bottom line is the frame is awesome, and I would definitely by another one if needed.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel SP

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Kona 2-9er, Niner MCR9

Bike Setup:   Reba SL 80mm, American Classic wheels, RF Deus crank, SRAM X-9 shifters, SRAM X-9 rear deraileur, Shimano XT front deraileur, Thompson Elite seatpost, WTB Rocket V saddle, On-One Fleegle handlebar, Ergon grips, Shimano XT disc brakes, Shimano 540 pedals, Shimano XT 34t cassette, tires vary

Submitted by brickisred a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    Light, solid, beautiful

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily

Bottom Line:
Moved away from the mtns and was looking for something lighter and more versatile to replace my Giant VT dual suspension pig. Saw a Dos Niner frame on ebay and decided to try it out. Got a smokin deal on a like new 2007 bare frame plus King headset. I like it because it's a completely capable trail bike which also rides nice on the road with slicks. Kind of dual purpose, which is what I was looking for. Off road it is reliable, stable and incredibly fast on descents. Because of the larger tires it can be a little sluggish on climbs if your momentum is low, but the lack of suspension bob means you can just stand and hammer your way up. I wonder about the longevity of the rear chainstays as they are so delicate looking, but I'm not a clydesdale so... Taking 1 chili away for the fragile paint job. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   Keyauwee

Bike Setup:   1x9 setup with Stylo, SRAM X9, Avid BB7, Reba Race

Submitted by pete johnson a Cross Country Rider from Bethesda, MD

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light 29r, excellent climber. Fun to ride. Good for long fire road rides (rode 210 miles in 3 days). Likes rock gardens, rough terrain, creek crossings.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat noodly up front on rocky downhills. Frame is weak per the Bottom Line below. Paint chips and wears off quickly. My shoes wore the paint of the stays, but I have pronated stance.

Bottom Line:
This was a great bike but in its third season I at some point dented the top tube slightly in a wreck, but not significant enough that I noted when it happened. Within a few months the top tube cracked at the site of the impression making it unrideable. Salsa Warranty Dept had a dealer ship the frame to them and they said that it was not a defect but that "all was not lost" and my dealer would tell me the details of a crash replacement discount. They did, and it was similar to speedgoat or several other retailers sale prices, thus the crash replacement had no value in this instance...I have purchased a Salsa Big Mama on the open market as a replacement. I have learned of numerous XL Dos Niner frames breaking, some of which were replaced under warranty and some not.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   Quality Bike Product

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. Blur LT.

Bike Setup:   07 XL dos niner, Fox front shock, xt components, dt swiss wheels, avid juicy breaks, maxis igniter tires tubeless.

Submitted by mwarner57 a Cross Country Rider from San Anselmo, CA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Light, sharp handling, adjustable shock, simplicity, ability climb out of the saddle.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this frame on EBay to replace my Zion 737 EBB, which I had converted to a 1x9 using an emergency rear der. hanger (don't try this at home). I liked they way Zion climbed, by was unable to keep up with the duallies on the techier downhill sections. With the Dos, I have no problem keeping up. The handling is quick without being twitchy, and the rear end stays planted through the rock gardes. I am running the shock at 20PSI, which in conjunction with a suspension seatpost and fat tires gives a nice, compliant ride while still handling the larger impacts. As an added benefit, I can stand up and hammer the climbs like a singlespeed, which I could never do on my 26er dually.
The claimed wieght for the frame is 4.1 lbs, which seems about right. I have crap components on the bike right now, and it weighs in at 27lbs with the pedals. I should be able to get it under 25 with a nice wheelset and a few other goodies.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed softail 26er(can't remember the model)
Zion 737 29er

Bike Setup:   Reba Race, 1x9 setup with Nexave crank and Alivio der. Bontrager Ranger wheelset.

Submitted by ml a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Great ride! It has the quickness of the hardtail and takes the edge off the bumps. I love my salsa!

Weaknesses:    Frame crackeed, but the great customer service more than made up for it.

Bottom Line:
I had this bike for a couple of years, and unfortunately the frame cracked by the rear derailer on the weld. I emailed Salsa, and Bobby at Salsa told me to take it by my local shop and he'll send an return authorization on it. My shop took a couple of pics and sent it to salsa, and within a week they had the frame and built it up. Excellent customer service! I'd recommend them to anybody. Bikes had ridden great, and it was a small inconvenience, but you've got to love good customer service. Cheers

Favorite Trail:   salmon falls

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper comp.

Bike Setup:   bontrager, Sram, rebea race.

Submitted by Flat Ark a Racer from Rogers, AR

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Strengths:    Sharp handling, awesome "orange" paint, Relish is super easy to set up, Smooth riding and super fast.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I've had the opportunity to ride/own several 29ers and even a 96er. Nothing has impressed me as much as this Dos Niner. Really sharp/crisp handling without feeling "too" nervous. I am running the little Relish shock at 0 psi and when combined with the tubeless Small Block 8's (30 psi) it feels as though this bike has at least 2 inches of rear wheel travel. One of the biggest benefits is that I can stand and climb on this bike and it behaves just like a hardtail. Absolutely no pedal bob whatsoever. Even though I ride geared bikes I employ a SS style of riding and this bike is the perfect tool for my riding style. Make no mistake, this bike is NOT a full suspension, it is in fact a "soft" tail which translates into a really smooth hardtail. Awesome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hobb's