Rocky Mountain Trailhead 29 29er Hardtail

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Rocky Mountain has been producing bikes forThe past 27 years. Rocky Mountain produces some ofThe best bikes onThe market because Their engineers actually ride.They aren’t pushing out hundreds ofThousands of bikes a year;Therefore,They reallyTakeTheirTimeTo make sureThat every bike is ofThe upmost quality.TheTrailhead 29” is a great quality bike without a steep priceTag. Rocky Mountain has incorporated Technology found inTheir high end bikes,

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2014

Strengths:    Climbing, speed, components, weight, looks,

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres not suited for my home terrain; but they would be good for mfg intended use of bike (fire roads, logging roads, etc), stock pedals, Re-torq headset every 100km ( is this normal maintenance?)

Bottom Line:
This is my first serious mountain bike and my first forray into riding so I bought this bike on the advice of my trusted local bike shop. I had done a fair bit of research before visiting so I had in mind that I wanted an xc, hardtail, 29 alloy bike. I think that the value is iqn the components and build of the bike. Being well into its second riding season I'm happy to report no failures or any issues for that matter. My intended riding was fire roads and ATV trails, but I quickly moved beyond merely logging kilometers on gravel roads. The bike is probably a little under spec for the terrain I'm putting it through, steep descents, rock gardens, mining claim drill site access roads, but it's a great all-rounder that performs well. The shop immediately upgraded the pedals to candy clip less; and I upgraded the tyres from the stock 2.2" race kings to 2.4" x-kings to deal with the sandy, loose terrain in which I normally ride.
This is a great bike that can handle pretty much anything that Ontario can throw at it if you can pedal in, it will get you out.

Favorite Trail:   Walden mountain bike club, Naughton,On

Duration Product Used:   1.5 seasons

Purchased At:   Adventure ski and cy

Submitted by scott a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2014

Strengths:    geometry,cranks,forks,and brakes

Weaknesses:    wheels and free hub and flat pedals

Bottom Line:
because of where i ride daily the rims arent strong enough to handle the trails i ride. the tires are good for dirt roads, greenways, and hard pack. other than that this bike feels like it was built just for me. i would recomend this to anyone riding long rides,fire roads,gravel roads,and intermediate trails in stock form. wheel and tire upgrades are a must here in southeast tennessee where i ride everyday. the trails i ride are technical, chestnut(7 miles of climbs,roots, rocks, and hard pack), bear paw, thunder rock(1.5 mi downhill very technical), also chilhowee trails,( clemmer very fast and technical,you can reach speeds of 35+ if you have the stones), clear creek,large rock gardens and water crossings, naked widow( boulder strown and sandy, slick rock,tight, lots of trees,roots smaller rock gardens, and always wet due to natural springs seeping fron the soil and water crossings.

Favorite Trail:   tanasi trail system( thunder rock)

Duration Product Used:   2yrs

Purchased At:   trailhead bicycle co

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper, trek cobia

Bike Setup:   specialized 1.5 rise x 23long handlebars, specialized roval traverse wheels w/ dt swiss hubs and specialized captain tires tubeless , lizard skin double lock grips, expedo all mountain lock in pedals(hardened spindles), sram chain and cassette, removed large ring and installed a gamut rock basher, woodman quick release gold anodized seatpost clamp, 2 waterbottle holders, and a lizard skin chain slap frame protector.

Submitted by joe kadri a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    climbing, climbing, climbing and speed

Weaknesses:    pedals and front tire

Bottom Line:
my first 29er (love it) pedals first thing to go after that just ride. Single track speed demon, roots and rocks (what roots and rocks) on loose surface front tire tends to washes out when taking corners but in hard packed (gooonnee) and climbs like a goat

Submitted by Jhonny a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing, components, re-known brand

Weaknesses:    Comes with flat pedals

Bottom Line:
I think is impossible finding a bike like this for the same price, I had a Merida Matts, a Kona Caldera, both of them 26 er and I was a little bit scared about going on a 29 er, I am extremely pleased with this bike, climbs on trails like a monkey in a tree, components are great. I didnt riden it not even to test it until I bought the clipless pedals at JensonUsa.com, for sure this working week is gonna feel long waiting for next weekend to ride it again.

Purchased At:   Oberson