Rocky Mountain Soul 29 29er Hardtail

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Rocky Mountain has been producing bikes forThe past 27 years. Rocky Mountain produces some ofThe best bikes onThe market because Their engineers actually ride.They aren’t pushing out hundreds ofThousands of bikes a year;Therefore,They reallyTakeTheirTimeTo make sureThat every bike is ofThe upmost quality. If you’re lookingTo start mountain biking onThe weekendsThe Soul 29 is a great option. Rocky Mountain has created a 29” bike with

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2013

Strengths:    - The lockout shocks are killer and make this bike crazy versatile.
- This bike is solid, stays in tune long and the ride is always smooth.

Weaknesses:    - Heavy back end.
- Upgrading the derailer was a good choice.
- Saddle didn't prove too strong. Bent after a few spills. However I haven't replaced it so its still functional.

Bottom Line:
I've outfitted mine with a jumper set-up and switch out the 29s for 26s depending on what I'm riding. With it's small frame, the 26s make it feel like a whole new bike, which means for the price of one great mountain bike I also get a great jumper when I need. Add the lockout shocks make riding to the jumps a lot easier too. This bike is great for anyone who needs a solid bike for everything. At a reasonable price you can ride any terrain and feel fully equipped for it.

Purchased At:   Skiis and Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Norco Sasquatch Jumper (much heavier and very loose ride by comparison)

Bike Setup:   -replaced front derailer with single gear in front (like a speacialized p2)
-replaced x-5 derailer with x-7
-switch out 26inch sun rims

Submitted by Beefsupreme99

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    Solid bike all around, better components than most for the price. Hydrualic brakes work great and all around great bike. I'm 200 miles in and no malfunctions or epuipment failures.

Weaknesses:    Gears seem slow on climbs, but with better timing I've had no issues. Rear end feel heavy.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, would recommend this bike to anyone.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    I was looking for a big-wheeled bike that travelled reasonably fast on paved portions and strong enough to handle cross-country single tracks as I live in the city but am about 7-8km from cross-country trails - a distance I'd rather ride out to than drive. (In a mountain bike with big fat tires that 7km ride can become a pretty long ride). I tried out a lot of 29ers in the $1200 to sub $1000, ie entry-level 29ers. This includes Konas, Trek, Specialized models. Ride characteristics amongst all of them are very similar - big wheels make the ride more comfortable. However this bike suprised me in one respect - it is able to turn very tight for a 29er. It turns about as tight as my 26" mountain bike. That shocked me. It was the best amongst the brands I tried. Kona Splice (the lightest) and Specialized Karve are a bit lighter than Soul. Typically I would take lighter weight over handling but in a big wheel bike, the extra 2-3 lbs to get the better handle is a good trade off as I'm not planning on riding too many ups and downs but rather flat single tracks.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavier than some competitors

Bottom Line:
Best handling amongst 29ers. That's worth the extra 2lbs. MSRP should be $800 not $650 as this is a 29er, not the 26" model.

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike good for the price. It's a nice light. Frame compared to most in its class. Components are spectacular for the price you pay I've been shopping around a lot and I don't think I could find a bike around where I live with the bang for your buck. Great trail rider go almost everyday, grips roots and loose dirt like a champ after I changed the tires. Plus high quality hydrolic brakes makes sure you can stop in time. I raced this bike against full suspension 1500$ bikes and came in 3rd its amazing.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires the kenda small block 8 tires are good for summer or dry climates in the spring with all of the wet ground and roots you can be very nervous when taking sharp corners. I upgraded to WTB Velociraptor 29ers there very grippy and get the Job done but sacrifice the rolling. But when they start wearing out they still keep there grip and pick up speed. Also in Canada where I baught this bike it went for 849.99 plus tax

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the buck and honestly can't beet it

Submitted by jeharris44 a Cross Country Rider from Waco, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2012

Strengths:    The bike has a very solid feel and handles well. I really enjoy the natural stance that the bike cause you to ride in. It is a bit more aggressive and causes out to stretch out over the handle bars which I really enjoy. I bought the bike on craigslist and it had only been ridden twice. It is highly upgraded so not sure on the base components.

Weaknesses:    I do not have a ton of complaints but I do have two: the rear end is heavy and the rear derailer is slow and doesn't shift well going up hill.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Powder Monkey

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Reba RLT front fork, Easton XC Lite handlebars, XT Crankset, SRAM x-5 derailer.

Submitted by phosphaterider a Weekend Warrior from Tampa

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    A great bike with good components for the money. Also, carries a boutique name that you don't see everyday.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for an xc bike, but not a big deal since I am 250 plus rider.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a 29er on a budget than this is the bike for you! I am very impressed with the components that came stock with the bike. The only thing I plan on changing out is the fork which is not that bad, but is a little heavy. The frame seems very strong and has great geometry! I highly recommend this bike if you are looking for a 29er under $800.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Rig, Gary Fisher Marlin 29er, Stumpjumper Comp FSR

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Oldfatbaldguy a Weekend Warrior from Central MN

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    Name brand with strong brand identity, (locally uncommon). Fit and finish (small details) stronger than more commonly available brands. For most sizes Rocky's seem to "stretch" the rider a bit more than others...makes the bike feel like more of "riders" bike vs a more upright "comfort" bike. That fact alone allowed these old bones to cover about 10% more ground for an given fatigue level compared to my other bikes.

Weaknesses:    Slightly higher price than TrekDiamomdbackGiant

Bottom Line:
If price is the only concern, any cheaper bike will do fine. Sometimes even an entry-level bike CAN have a few detail aesthetic touches normally found on higher-priced bikes. Those were important to me.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled (Cuyuna)

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Only test-driven other 29'ers.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Will replace/upgrade parts as I break them or find I'm no longer willing to accept performance.

Is 29 x 2.4 Nobby Nic large circumference a soul crusher?

I am really liking this tire on back, but it wears a bit fast and SEEMS slow. It is taller than my Geax Gato 2.3, and I am wondering why I feel like I am slower pedaling with this tire? Anyone think the larger circumference is like a higher gear? Or just slow roller with tread blocks? Thanks.Read More »

Rocky start on my Soul 29

Hi Everyone I recently got back into biking after a 15 hiatus. Long story short I am 5'10 295lbs (and shrinking) I purchased a Rocky Mountain Soul 29 and took it out on some semi technical single track and within an hour I snapped the hub and was pushing the bike 1.5 miles back to the car. Went ... Read More »

Cotic Solaris - like a Soul, but 29"

Anyone else ordered one of these? They're shipping from the middle of February. I've got an orange one on the way. Hopefully it will be as much fun as my Cotic Soda, with all the benefits of a 29er. Basically a little slacker and longer than the average xc 29er, with slightly shorter stays, and ... Read More »