Redline Monocog 29er Hardtail

4.58/5 (134 Reviews)

“Monocoging.” The original fun loving 29er that keeps it simple with just one speed.
  • Frame: Full 4130 Chromoly, 135mm Rear Spacing, Disc Tabs
  • Fork: Full 4130 Chromoly, Disc Tabs
  • Crank: SRAM 5D Alloy 33T w/ Guard
  • Wheels: Alex DH 19 32H Rims w/ QR SB Hubs, stainless Spokes
  • Brakes: Tektro 8396 Linear Pull
  • Tires: Kenda Nevegal 29 x 2.2

Submitted by Kevin

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2014

Strengths:    -Manageable Price Point/ Excellent Value.
-Durable, Reliable, and Fun.
-Easy to Maintain (perks of being a single speed)

The Monocog is widely considered a remarkable bang for your buck. Redline set out to make a wallet friendly package to bring people into the sport and provide miles of fun; they executed this concept beautifully in the Monocog 29er. As far as entry level bikes go, you will be hard pressed to find a more capable and reliable machine.
This bike omits the inclusion of sub-par derailleurs and forks and instead gives you components that are simple and reliable, letting you focus on your ride. Speaking of ride, this machine gives a good one. Its versatile frame geometry and quality build materials allow you to wield this steel steed with unexpected grace from a rigid machine. The frame is lovingly compliant without giving up stiffness where it counts. As they say, steel is real, and the Monocog is as real and true as a mountain biking experience can be. Beware: causes excessive grinning.

Weaknesses:    -Brakes (this was remedied in recent year models)

My monocog is a 2010, so the components have changed over the years. Generally speaking, there is always a weak point. In my experience it is usually the brakes. It seems that the newer models come equipped with discs, which is a welcome addition. Being a big wheeled bike, it likes to roll. Some brakes with decent modulation will enhance your experience and make you more confident.

In all honesty it is difficult to find any real weaknesses. Just keep in mind that this isn't one of those full carbon 155mm travel FS hussies on the front page, and it isn't trying to be. In fact, take your 3500 dollars and just buy 3-5 more Monocogs for all your friends.

Bottom Line:
I got mine new in 2010. That's 4 years of riding while barely stopping to wipe off the mud and put some air in the tires. I have done little to no maintenance or changing to anything on the bike, with the exception of tubes and tires. We have spent lots of time in rock gardens, screaming through singletrack, and taking drops we probably shouldn't have. The Monocog has seen the best rides of my life and some of the hardest crashes. Still alive, still begging for more. As a result, I have experienced a bike that has far exceeded my expectations. It's scarred and rusty in places (kind of like me), but still alive and still begging for more.

Submitted by Merrimar

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2014

Strengths:    Climbing
Responsiveness
Weight
Geometry

Weaknesses:    Brakes
Kenda nevegals, debatable

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing! It is light and responsive, I was blown away... It takes some of the decision making out of mtbing. All you have to do is decide when to start pedaling, and when you do, you get a instant response of pure pedal to tire torque, I love it.
I am almost as fast on this as my full suspension Spesh epic, on the right trail. This bike loves fast, hard pack single track. It is not for overly technical, steep, or rocky terrain, AKA black trails. It is an XC bike and serves its purpose well. I can't descend as fast as a bike with a suspension fork, but I out climb all my geared friends. I learned to ride on nevegals and they are reliable tires, but they roll too slow for me, I have some tubless racing tires on now, and it screams! If you love to mtb and haven't tried Single Speed, this is an affordable way to do it, you won't regret it. I choose to ride this bike over my $1000 hardtail and ride it just as often as my $3000 full squish. I feel like it makes me a better rider. I know... It doesn't make sense, my wife reminds me of that every day. Oh, and I believe the MSRP has gone up, I bought the 2014 for $650, I believe.

Submitted by Forrest Gimp a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    Stock wheelset (Alex DH 19 hoops & redline hubs) have stayed true since iv'e purchased the bike in 2009! I ride mostly twisty single track with tech trail features ,small jumps & rock gardens. The steel is compliant & not harsh like aluminum rigid bikes iv'e been on. Great bike for the price point!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This bike was what i purchased to enter into the world of 29ers. The price was light on the wallet so it gave me access to the big wheeled world without taking out a damn loan. The feedback of riding rigid does give you the immediate feeling of being one with the trail & the single speed forces you to keep a solid cadence which seems to lock you in a trance like rhythm & flow which i love. This setup is not for everybody & upgrading to a geared hardtail is easy. Redline created a hit with this bike & the joy you get vs the price you pay is unbeatable!

Favorite Trail:   too many to name

Duration Product Used:   2010-current

Purchased At:   Goodlys Bikes Richmo

Similar Products Used:   On One Scandal V2

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog, White Brothers Rock Solid Carbon Forks, Ritchey Wcs Carbon Bars, Avid bb-7s, Avid speed dial levers, Thomson elite post,Surly front & rear cogs

Submitted by dalhopgood

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2014

Strengths:    Simplicity. Simplicity. Simplicity.

Weaknesses:    Well, I think that a singlespeed bike has its weaknesses when one climbs. However once you get accustomed to climbing on a singlespeed- you will have no weaknesses. Just keep your cadence up to ensure your knees are happy.

Bottom Line:
My monocog is my first 29er. This being said, it has been a slam bang introduction into the world of both 29ers and SS mountain biking. Me, being a 5'11" 170 lb man with a long torso, opted to get the 19" size. I changed it about a bit, giving it new shoes (Maxxis Ardents 2.4"), ritchey comp 10d flat bars, Surly Ogre fork and a few other essentials. The steel frame gives it a bit of flex and the niner wheels give it a smooth fast rolling ride. The total package is a great basic platform to build upon and enjoy the Pale Blue Dot.

Submitted by Garrett a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    Simple, durable, reliable. Navegal tires impressive. Tecktro brakes sufficient for this bike and price point.

Weaknesses:    None, but adding clipless pedals is a must IMHO with this bike

Bottom Line:
Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase. It handles all sorts of abuse (rode Dupont and Bent Creek the past couple weekends without any issues). Your body will give out on the trails before the bike ever would forcing you to use arms and legs for suspension and getting out of the saddle on climbs. Simple, solid build. These bikes aren't for everyone, do your homework regarding rigid ss. As a leg strength/ skill builder this bike works wonders.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Bike Setup:   Shimano m540 clipless

Submitted by Colin

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    Tough as nails. Great tires, handlebars and locking grips. Frame is ready for upgrades. Wheelset is of the heavy, cheap, and strong vaiety.

Weaknesses:    Brakes and brake levers. My levers were loose and made annoying chirping sounds before I replaced them with some Avids. Crankset also seems cheap, my drive side kept coming loose.

Bottom Line:
I took one for a test ride just out onto the streets around the bike shop and instantly fell in love with it. I've now owned it for just over 6 months and have ridden it over hundreds of miles of singletrack, gravel roads, and city streets. It is extremely stable and solid feeling, especially on the Kenda Nevagel tires that come stock.

On the trail this thing just eats up anything I've thrown at it, with the sole exclusion of super long, deep sandy patches and a massive, uphill rock garden on one of my local trails that I've never been able to make it through. On downhills and speedier sections, the bike can get moving pretty fast and always feels stable and in control. I've taken it pretty fast through some eroding berms and, even though the vibrations through the rigid front fork can get pretty bad, as long as you keep relaxed you'll be fine. On the monocog, the tires, steel frame, and your limbs are the suspension. Understand that and you will have a blast!

Submitted by A1an

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Sexy, tough, and rigid...chix dig it.

Weaknesses:    Have to beat off all the chix.

Bottom Line:
Monolog likes to keep things simple. He may be a little heavy but he more than makes up for it by providing the rider a great time for many many years. Technological "advances" like shifting, disc brakes, or suspension aren't important to him. He does not enjoy parking lot posing at your local Starbucks while you drink your venti mocha caramel skinny sugarfree pansy drink. In fact, he will likely kill you in your sleep if you try this.

Monolog enjoys long rides offroad, cheap beer, and the company of a hairy legged rider (man or woman..he doesn't discriminate) who cares more about the ride than appearances.

Submitted by Mike Benner a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely durable and reliable. This bike will take whatever punishment you can dish out and come back for more. Simplistic as it gets. Easy to work on. Just plain fun to ride. Will never go back to gears.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money. Pure enjoyment to ride. Will make you a much stronger rider.

Favorite Trail:   Caeser Creek

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   biker Bobs

Bike Setup:   All original equipment,except for upgrade to disc brakes (BB7)

Submitted by Anton a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2012

Strengths:    The monster truck of the bicycle world. Simple, high quality frame. Basic but solid parts spec. Smashes over anything and is a lot of fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    A rigid singlespeed with v-brakes is never going to be the fastest way to get from point A to B off road, but these are not really weaknesses of this model, just the type of bike.

Bottom Line:
This is the probably the most fun you can have off road for the lowest amount of coin. My normal bike is a 1 year old carbon 5" travel duallie, which cost more than 10 times the amount of this Redline. Only the Redline has brought a smile to my face and made me laugh out loud while riding. If you see one, buy it.

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery Florey

Submitted by RW Thompson a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very quick, very light, very strong.

Bottom Line:
I did play with the gearing a little, upgraded the crank, shorten the stem and narrowed the bar. It is amazing how quick this bike is. I love the WTB exiwolf tires, they wear a little quicker than other tires but the ride is perfect and good in every road condition. I love this bike. I keep my bikes pretty clean on this bike it is necessary to keep the seat post greased up or you will get a squeaking noise out of the contact. I don't under stand upgraded the v brakes on this, mine is a 2009 with tekro and they work perfect. If you can only have one multipurpose bike, get the Redline.

Favorite Trail:   wilderness trail, lincoln ne

Duration Product Used:   300 miles a season.

Submitted by Thomas Trudzinski a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2012

Strengths:    Okay, this bike is a beast. It is by far one of the most durable bikes out there. It's a bare-bones performer that relies on the rider to push through. I say the bike is a beast, because if you saw the beating I give it in South Texas on some pretty much all rock trails you would know what I'm talking about. Also come with great tires!

Weaknesses:    None if you're a minimalist. SS29er baby!

If you ride on a lot of sharp rock, invest in some slime tubes right away and always check your tire pressure. You will get "snake bites" on your tires if you don't, no suspension = less give.

Bottom Line:
You will want to upgrade the v-brakes eventually especially if you want more control of your bike in braking scenarios. I noticed that once the v-brakes are warm... they grip very very easily usually allowing you to lock your wheels which I don't care for too much. I have since upgraded to Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes with a 185mm rotor in the front and a 160mm rotor in the rear (in-case I do some major downhill). I also upgraded to Shimano PD-M985 clipless pedals. With those two upgrades... and some guts you will be passing up multi-speed bikes with no contest.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   Britton's Bicycles -

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog with AVID BB7 Mechanical Disc Brakes and Shimano clipless pedals.

Submitted by Nate Bean a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    It is crazy strong, reliable, and a great bike to blast around in the trails!!!! I like it so much, I have two. They are identically setup with BB7 Avid disc brakes with 185mm rotors. I have WTB Exiwolf tires them. Other than those upgrades, they are both stock. The wheels are still the originals too.

Weaknesses:    NOTHING!

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike with confidence. This bike will make you a stronger rider as you pick agressive lines to get ready for the climbs. My Redline Monocogs are 2009 and 2011. My 2009 Monocog has approaching 5,000 miles of singletrack. I have previously owned and broken 4 other 29er singlespeeds by other makers. Redline knows what they are doing.

Favorite Trail:   Caesar Creek, Ohio

Submitted by johnjx5 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, Steel is real

Weaknesses:    Will need upgrades at some point

Bottom Line:
It took me forever to special order this bike as no shop in the bay area carries them in stock. It finally arrived and I've been on it every day since. I love this bike. It's my first SS 29er and I could not be happier. It is solid, rides quiet, and the geometry is great. I'm 6'2" and went for the 19" and it's a perfect fit for me. One thing I am noticing is that on a SS I have to plan much further ahead than with my geared bike. On my geared bike I usually don't look too far ahead because I can always pick a new gear for the terrain. On the Monocog I look way far ahead so I can plan my attack because you can end up at the bottom of an incline and not have enough momentum to help you make it up it. I feel like it's making me a better rider because of this. I'm thinking I will upgrade to disc brakes at some point in time and anything else that breaks or wears itself out.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Submitted by aghily a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    frame and geometry

Bottom Line:
I bought this thing for sh*&ts and giggles and really fell in love with the 29 inch single speed. After 6 months of riding, I bought a Gary Fisher Superfly SS dripping with carbon...it weighed in at 17.5 pounds. However, it just wasn't nearly as comfortable as the monocog and the weight thing did little for my performance or enjoyment. In short, my Superfly is currently listed in the classifieds here at MTBR.

Submitted by ajl1567502 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Simple, Steel

Weaknesses:    Basic parts, upgrades eventually necessary

Bottom Line:
My Monocog is awesome. I recently sold my GF hardtail to ride the Monocog exclusively. I love how simple it is, always runs great and dependable. Low maintenance.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Single speed with Rock Shox Tora fork. - Super basic

2015 Monocog AL

Does anyone know what the MSRP is/will be set at for this bike? An aluminum "lighter" Monocog with a carbon fork will be sweet....Personally gonna be really disappointed if it only has one set of bottle mounts though (which is all I see in the photo). [IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/04/abaje7u3 ... Read More »

Tire Woes, Monocog 29er

Want to throw some new ones on for fall, I just can't seem to track down reliable information. There is a lot out there, but none very consistent. I have narrowed down a few choices, but I am very open to suggestions. I am moving away from nevegals because I want to try something different. I w ... Read More »

2006 Monocog 26er--is this a 17" or 19"?

I don't know that it makes a huge difference to me but I'm curious if this Monocog I picked up is what Redline calls 17" or 19". Seat tube is 17" center to center but 19" center to top. Setup shows post about where I like it. I suppose it may be on the big side and longish in the TT (I'm 5'9") bu ... Read More »

Dirt Jumper 3's and disc brakes added to my Redline monocog

Just swapped out the Rigid forks for some DJ 3's and added disc brakes to my 05 Monocog, still need to fine tune the brakes and get it out for a test ride. [URL="http://s33.photobucket.com/user/stickbowguy/media/DSCN5698_zps7cc984f8.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/stickbowguy/D ... Read More »

Paid spam - os blackbuck and redline monocog completes

Sadly I need to sell my bikes.... Paid ad here: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=94370]GARAGE SALE - Niner Jet 9, OS Blackbuck, Redline Monocog 29er PLUS TONS OF PARTS! SINGLE SPEED STUFF AND ROAD STUFF AND MORE! - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[ ... Read More »