Redline Monocog Flight 29er Hardtail

4.3/5 (44 Reviews)

The Monocog Flight features high quality Sanko tubing with slider dropouts, disc brakes, and improved cranks and wheels.
  • Japanese Sanko Double Butted Chromoly frame, Slider Style
  • Japanese Sanko Taper Leg Chromoly fork
  • AVID BB5 Disc Brakes
  • FSA Gamma Drive Single 32T, ISIS cranks
  • Redline Sealed Bearing Hubs with WTB Laser Disc Trail Rims
  • WTB Rocket V saddle

Submitted by a29rider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2014

Strengths:    Smooth, flows well, maintenance free, RIGID

Weaknesses:    Maybe a tad heavy, fork chatter

Bottom Line:
Been riding the flight all season and love it. Have been riding rigid single speed more than full suspension over all trail types. Put on a set of wider tires (bontrager xr4 team) to get more float. Put on ergon grips and changed saddle. Voila..... Just go and ride.
Bike rides well, climbs strong (as long as you have the leg power for it) and handles everything well. Just pulled stock wheels off and put on a pair of mavic crossmax st's. Handling was good before and is exceptional now.
Just ride loose and climb aggressively. Great bike for a great price!!

Favorite Trail:   Tap n die

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Purchased At:   Earls cyclery

Bike Setup:   Stock except grips, wheels, tires and saddle....

Submitted by Jung Karl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2014

Strengths:    Excellent ride quality, reasonably light weight, good value for the money.

Bottom Line:
Found a used Monocog Flight frame cheap online and decided to build it into a do it all single speed. Wide drop bars, 80mm truvativ stem, used rigid fork off a Bianchi S.A.S.S (just enough clearance to run a 29x2.2), used oem Alex wheel set off a Scott Spark, used Deore crankset and Avid BB7's. All in all it's fairly low end kit but the ride quality on the trail tells another story all together. Pedals like a dream, incredibly agile, the ride quality of the frame/fork combo is amazingly supple. Don't pass one of these up if you find a deal, well worth the money. Quickly becoming my favorite bike for fast, flowing trails.

Submitted by capt.shred

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2014

Strengths:    steel, ride, dropouts, history.

Weaknesses:    1 1/8 head tube.

Bottom Line:
I've had several single speed xc bikes. Custom Lynskey, Kona, surly... This exceeds them all on many levels. It's light, responsive and a great price. 100mm fork brings the bike to a new level. It's an xc racer. No need for super slack angles, 16" chainstays ect... New headtube size would be nice as it's getting harder to find high end forks with 1 1/8 steer tube.

Submitted by mayonayze

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    out of the box, this bike is light, solid, and FAST. Redline put together an impressive mix of components at a crazy low cost. mine is the 2011 model

Weaknesses:    BB started crapping out after about 700 miles. i mash the chit out of climbs and so i am not really surprised, or disappointed. the chain stay is also pretty narrow and wont fit anything bigger than a 2.1. also, standing around at the trail-head waiting for your friends to muck with gear and suspension settings will get old, as the Flight is ready to rock as soon as it comes off of the rack.

Bottom Line:
i hadnt ridden a MB since i was about 15, and was excited to get on a bike again, but i wasnt sure i'd be able to get the kind of seat-time that would justify a more expensive bike. one of my lycra wearing racing buddies has a base monocog as a "play" bike and recommended i get one. to make a long story short: in a matter of weeks i went from not being on MB for 20 years to competing and placing in XC races, on this bike.

Submitted by Cardoza Kidd a Weekend Warrior from Glendale

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Bike just lookz SMOOTH and it iz SOLID. I put 2001 MILEZ on it from when I received it FREE from REDLINE on 01/25/2011 until 12/31/2011 riding anywhere and everywhere here in AZ. Nothing has broken or been replaced, BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED, love it!!!

Bottom Line:
REDLINE makes solid mountain bikes, I LOVE the simplicity of the single speed and have ridden enough to be able to ride anywhere with one gear. LOVE the way the bike looks and feels and best of all it was FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Favorite Trail:   DA STREETZ

Purchased At:   FREE FROM REDLINE

Similar Products Used:   Had a REDLINE D440 in 2010 and put 3738 MILES on that which earned me my FREE REDLINE MONOCOG FLIGHT 29ER. Loved that bike also but I did need to replace some things on that, but not much... REDLINE makes a great mountain bike, although honestly I only use my bikes for URBAN MOUNTAIN BIKING through the STREETZ...

Bike Setup:   Standard in the package setup, although I just replaced the seat for a little more cushion.

Submitted by multistrada a Cross Country Rider from Austin, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    Great value, Good ride quality, Climbed well, The feel of Steel...

Weaknesses:    None that i ran across. Performed well without glitches

Bottom Line:
This bike is a workhorse. Solid on the trail. Great feel from the Steel, solid climber. I had none of the issues mentioned previously regarding frames giving way. Mine is solid and i have ridden regularly in rough rocky technical terrain. My experience is positive and based on my time on the bike i could recommend it without issue - Especially for the price. Its a great value

Similar Products Used:   Vassago Jabberwocky

Bike Setup:   Reba 80mm fork, Tru Vativ Stylo crank, Stans Arch, BB7 Mech Brakes, Set up 1x9 with XO derailuer

Submitted by LyonsLeo a Cross Country Rider from Lyons, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2011

Strengths:    Inexpensive, fun-handling, stable at speeds, good climber, not too flexy.

Weaknesses:    Frame broke at down tube, just like so many other reviewers.

Bottom Line:
Super-fun and affordable bike that handled the Firecracker 50 as well as I did. Tire clearance could be better on the rear triangle, and the frame flexes a bit laterally, but the steel compliance is nice on the bumps - THAT IS UNTIL THE FRAME SNAPS!

Sorry Redline, but a down tube snapping in half during a descent is a deal breaker for me. I'm a 175lb XC rider who sticks to reasonable terrain. This is a rigid bike setup, so I wasn't hucking huge drops. I was merely descending a singletrack run when all of a sudden the bike folds underneath me like cheap lawn furniture.

Favorite Trail:   Too many good ones to choose

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   This is the only rigid 29er I've owned.

Bike Setup:   eXotic carbon forks, Truvativ Stylo cranks/BB, Sun-Ringle Charger Pro wheels, WTB SST2k saddle (that's right!), Single speed.

Submitted by powXer a Weekend Warrior from Boulder

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    fun...rolls over anything...generally good geometry...

Weaknesses:    weak steel...chainstays don't accommodate larger tires well...poor response time from manufacturer...

Bottom Line:
rear wheel wouldn't stay put in the dropouts...eventually found that the steel in the dropouts was warped...Redline warrantied the frame and at first sent a 26" replacement...big whoops on their part...eventually sent a new Flight 29er frame, after 5+ months of waiting. But hey, I got the new frame so thanks Redline. after 2 rides on the replacement frame, I'm starting to have the same problems I had with the defective frame. I'm frustrated that I can't go a ride without the rear wheel going out-of-whack, and sick of dealing with the problem. also, the rear triangle barely accommodates a 2.2 tire. It would be nice to have more wiggle-room back there for tire size.

I think I'll be bailing on this frame and shopping around for something else.

Favorite Trail:   Hall

Purchased At:   RC

Similar Products Used:   On-One Inbred

Bike Setup:   custom ss build w/ ritchy, White Industries, Chris King, WTB, Shimano, and Avid components/accessories, plus Mary Bars.

Submitted by ShoppingBag a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame, good components for the money, solid bike, unbelievably fast & powerful & fun

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
My 2011 Redline Monocog Flight SS 29er is a dream to ride. I picked up this bike from The Bicycle Shop in June and was a bit intimidated at first: how the hell was I going to make it up any hills with only one gear? Especially with these oversized tires!!

While not new to single-speed bikes (I’ve owned a Salsa Casserole SS for a couple years) I have never owned a 29er and didn’t know what to expect. The wheels are so large and the sprockets are so small!!

But after my first afternoon out on the bike I can tell you unequivocally that I am a huge fan of this bike. My 20 mile ride that afternoon took me all over the bike trails and single tracks that cover the lower Hillside. From Campbell Airstrip, up through Moose Meadows, this bike handled the rocks, roots and rolls of the trail with ease. Everything you hear or read about the ability of 29-inch wheels to roll over any obstacle in their path is completely true.

From Moose Meadow I turned to the more serious hill climbs of Spencer Loop and Llama Trail. Again, the bike handled all of this with ease. It wasn’t easy, mind you, and I did have to hop off the bike and hoof it up a particularly onerous incline (Wall Street) near the top of the Spencer Loop. But minus that one obstacle, the rest of the Hillside climbs were no match for the Monocog.

And let’s not forget the downhills: this is where the bike really screams. Riding the single track trails was never so much fun. The undulating terrain of Queen Bee and Killer Bee presented lots of opportunities for the bike to really open up. The 29-inch wheels handled the terrain with ease, and the steel frame did a good job — despite being a completely rigid frame — of absorbing bumps.

The 29er does handle differently than my old 26-inch steed, but it’s a snap to quickly learn how best to tame the larger tires and bike geometry. Once mastered, the bike corners and handles unbelievably well.

Everything on the bike is stock and I don’t have a single complaint. The bars are wide and give you plenty of leverage for corners and climbs. The pedals I purchased (the bike does not come with any) are Redline platforms with great cleats that really hold the foot in place. The wheels are terrific and the the brake system works great.

Favorite Trail:   My backyard (the Chugach Mountains)

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop

Bike Setup:   Totally stock

Submitted by micron_52 a Cross Country Rider from sacramento, ca

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    steel

Weaknesses:    bent rear end !

Bottom Line:
wouldnt by it! tried to warranty the bent frame and sent it back to mr baily at seatle bikes supply one week he said i was gonna get a new frame then a week later when i called to get a tracking number he said there isnt one yet because we are sending your bike back. i asked why, he said " because what we would be sending you wouldnt be any different then what yours is". mine wont fit anything bigger a the stock 2.1 wtb prowler sl. so thats why i wouldnt get a bike from them.

Favorite Trail:   the mountain tops

Purchased At:   city bicycle works

Submitted by ltrimin a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable, tough build. Great breaks. This bike really gets going downhill.
Is light compared to my friends 26ers with front suspension only.
Bike is very responsive, takes a while to get use to turning with these big wheels.
Lifetime warranty on frame and fork
The single gear is awesome, no tinkering with gear selectors
just pedaling!!

Weaknesses:    In some instances a shock in the front will be great. Vibrations in really bumpy roads get to your arms, specially during winter in icy roads.
Handle bar feels and is huge, would prefer to have a smaller bar. I got screw by Redline on the handle bar since they changed the spec and I got the regular 29er handle bar.

Factory grips are junk

Dealing with Redline was not a nice experience

Bottom Line:
This is a great product for your money. For sure a second hand on ebay will save you some bucks but is rare to see them around, guess not many people want to part with them. I do not, this baby is a keeper. Some of my friends are already lining up to get this bike assign to them in my will!

Be ready to get your self in shape. Oh boy, did I ever course during the few times going up hill, well sometimes I still do, but once you get the hold of it look out! you will climb like a goat and the satisfaction feeling is awesome!

The guys are Sage cycle were great to deal with, for sure I would buy from them again. Buy from Redline? questionable see below

Redline service? what service?

During the purchase Redline screw my over the saddle and the handlebar, I made a fuss about it and the guys at sage were great but at the end I got screw with a cheaper saddle and Handlebar, NOT impress, specially after paying big box for this bike.

I will think twice before buying from Redline again, sad, really sad because this is a great product

Back to the bike:

The Chromoly frame and the lifetime warranty were the main reason that got me into this bike.

As an engineer I go with steel, Steel is king!
Yes aluminum is lighter and so on but steel is so much better for the following reasons:

1. Stronger material. In general, bikes made out of aluminum are only, if ever, slightly lighter than the steel counter parts since you need more material to obtain the same strength. So the gain is very little specially when you compare with a high strength exotic alloy like Chromoly

2. Stiffer material. I do not know why people say that Aluminum is stiffer?, they need to get their facts straight!

E= 210 MPa steel vs 70 MPa of Al,
E is the elasticity modulus and it is a description of how hard is to deform, or stretch, a material subjected to a given stress.
Without getting into details stiffness is always directly proportional to E and the geometry of the member!

What does this mean in practical terms?

a. If you have two identical frames one of Al and the other made of steel, the steel frame will be harder to deform.

b. Quality of ride. Ever wonder why you feel so beaten up after riding your bike?
The Al frame, being LESS stiffer, will resonate under low excitation, since the natural frequency is lower.
Vibrations will be better dampened by steel frames, and having higher natural frequencies that are harder to excite, they long term ride will be better.

3. In general, Steel is way cheaper than aluminum, and more environmentally friendly. Processing aluminum is not the nicest thing in terms of chemicals use and amount of energy. Somebody remember the slush leak in Hungary last year? Yep that was an aluminum processing facility.

Be careful with this bike on the downhill, it really gets going and if you need to make a sharp turn you may get your self in trouble. I did underestimated how fast the bike will go and paid with a broken hand.

Wear a helmet!!! I use full face and I can not stress enough how much safer it is! Do you like your face and teeth the way they are? think about that when you buy your helmet

Purchased At:   Sage cycles.com

Bike Setup:   Factory, after 800 bucks it will be a while until I pour some money in this baby

Submitted by Arow a Cross Country Rider from Chicago IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2010

Weaknesses:    Downtube breaks under pressure. Warranty dept is looking for a reason to void your warranty.

Bottom Line:
I loved this bike until the downtube busted in half at the bottom of a ravine. Granted I'm 200 lbs but a steel frame is not supposed to do that. I'm just lucky the top tube didn't break too. To add insult to injury the warranty rep denied my replacement request because I couldn't find my sales receipt. I talked to another rider with the same bike who had the same problem in the same spot. If you have this bike and hear squeaking in the front end, investigate for cracks 5" down from the head tube, it could save you from crashing at the most inopportune time. If you're over 170 lbs and are wondering if you should buy this bike, I vote no.

Bike Setup:   ss with Fox RL fork

Submitted by teda989 a Cross Country Rider from Owosso

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Economical way to get try the 29er thing. Big wheels keep on rolling. Rigid w/steel is the way to go. Adjustable rear dropouts adjust easily and make single speed setups a breeze.

Weaknesses:    Avid BB5 Brakes difficult to adjust and set up properly. I can't and not crazy about the 09 maroonish, grayish, purplish paint job, but got it for a steal at the end of the season.

Bottom Line:
solid bike at good price. 29 inch wheels roll nicely. steel frame is comfortable yet not too heavy. Too bad Redline went away from their cool paint colors from previous years. Overall a good value and good to have the option to add gears with the interchangeable dropout w/hanger.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami