Redline D460 29er 29er Hardtail

4.79/5 (19 Reviews)

Highest quality Japanese Sanko double butted chromoly frame, with a rear derailleur hanger and disc brake mount. Suspension compatible geometry. Hand crafted Japanese Sanko taper leg chromoly fork with CNC dropouts. Sure stopping Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors. SRAM X.7 shifter and rear derailleur combined with the Redline aluminum crankset with 34T chainring. Sturdy, smooth rolling Redline sealed bearing hubs laced up to 29” WTB Laser disc trail rims.
Available in 4 sizes ( 15”-21”) center to top.

Submitted by noahm a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2010

Strengths:    It's rigid and made out of steel

Weaknesses:    It's rigid... and made out of steel

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS BIKE! I bought it used at the beginning of last season, and have had so much fun with it. The big wheels roll over everything, and the steel takes just enough of the edge off the ride to make the rigidity OK. You never forget you're riding a fully rigid bike, though. Unlike with suspension, you can really blast your way through the gnar. Your line needs to be scoped out and your pace a little more deliberate. In my case, I think it has made me a better rider. Riding this bike forces me to pick out my line faster and to stick to it.

Some people have said that they've put a suspension fork on it, but I don't plan on it. It would probably allow me to ride a little faster through rough terrain, because as it is, this bike is like riding a jackhammer. That's half the fun of it, though, I think.

The bike is not light, and on longer rides in hilly terrain I've occasionally wished for a few lower gears, but in general I like the 1x9 drive train.

Similar Products Used:   This is the only 29er I've owned and is the first rigid steel bike I've owned since about 1996, so I can't really say I've ridden anything similar.

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock

Submitted by scienceseuss a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2010

Strengths:    -The feel of steel
-Geometry is perfect for norcal singletrack (IMHO)
-The redline name recognition
-Price

Weaknesses:    -Paint doesn't hold up long term
-Heavy (but hey, it's steel)
-Doesn't come with a good chain guide to prevent dropping the chain to the inside.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike at an unbelieveable price. The ride is predictably springy and responsive, and like any good steel frame, very stiff and dependable. I rode it rigid for about a year before putting a little travel up friont, and really liked the front fork (though I do too much rough stuff to keep riding rigid). The only problems witht this bike are 10the chain drop problem, and 2) the paint seems a little fragile. the cahin drops off to the inside constantly, but this can be easily fixed by replacingthe useless 3rd eye chain watcher with a $10 N-Gear Jump Stop. The paint issue is sad, since the paint is so pretty, it's a shame to see it scratch, ding, and rub-off so easily. I will have to have my frame stripped and painted within the next year due to all the paint damage - then again, i am pretty hard on my bikes (I took it down Downyville 3 time when it was still full rigid,and I do Hole in the Ground, and other "AM" trails with it pretty frequently. Definitely get Framesaver in this frame, since chipping paint on the outside is bad, but a frame rusting from the inside out is a VERY bad thing.

Overall, I'd say this is a perfect first 29er, or even first MTB in general, or a great bike for anyone, like me, who wants a great steel 29er but doesn't have much $$$ to spend.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Egg Beater pedals
Ergon Grips

Submitted by teapotdome a Racer from Decatur, GA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    Easy riding steel frame, good component spec, 29er goes over rocks and roots with ease.

Weaknesses:    Rigid fork was bent from factory, too tight to allow easy removal/replacement of front wheel. While not porky, no lightweight. Brakes are just adequate, not terrific.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike. After racing a Bianchi SISS for two seasons, then having Achilles surgery (unrelated!), I bought the 1x9 Redline Mono9 (precursor to the D460) as a way to add gears but keep things simple. With the Manitou fork and the 29" wheels, my speed and confidence are at an all-time high. Geometry (17" frame) fits me perfectly, the bike is well-balanced, easy on my 58 year old bones. A great way for old school single speeders to stay basic, but add comfort and control.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods, N Georgia

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute susp fork; Chris King headset; XTR SPD pedals; SRAM X9 drivetrain (1x9)

Submitted by wwwmattcom a Weekend Warrior from Franklin, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2009

Strengths:    The rigid forks helps in climbs. The chromoly feels lieghtweight to me. The entire bike feels lightweight. I wish i had a scale to weigh this bike. My aluminum bike seems to weigh a little more. The disc brakes are all I could ever ask for (avod bb5) I guess i don't ride hard trails, but weighing 240 lbs. i thought i would need a better brake. Not true. good brakes! shifting witht he x9 is unmatched. the 29er wheels are for real. wow i climb so well. The gearing (1x9) i thought was going to make riding more difficult becaue you are missing the lowest level of gears (granny gears). However I gained speed on climbs and was catching up to my buddy who is usually waiting for me at the top of the hill. I still can't believe i like a rigid bike so much. I thought my next bike would be a full suspension. No. I think rigid is for me. Until i find a trail that proves me wrong. I am purely a trail rider, no ramps/jumps/drops. This bike is a crusier in the woods and a climber on the hills. I hit mud easier and I am climbing through annoying rock gardens easier. I am so happy that i love rigid because it is going to save me a lot of money not getting a full suspension mtb. I also used to peel out a lot at low speeds trying to climb, especially in the granny gears but this bike is geared so well I never lost traction.

Weaknesses:    Little difficult going through rock gardens at low speed. Get some speed though and you rip right over them.

Bottom Line:
I am a 25 yr. old 6'1" 240 lbs. overgrown child who is learning there is no such thing as too many bikes. I currently ride a trek 4500 but think it is going to sit in the basement behind the redline. This bike rocked the 26" trek. I am high on 29ers right now. I will make no assumptions about my height and weight being the reason why i feel so comfy on this bike, but I gotta say, i had no idea i was on a larger wheeled bike because i felt just the same as on any other bike. the difference was the ride. smooth. Not to mention cheap!! i was debating between the redline and the gary fisher cobia. I was not sold on the fisher's tora fork. seemed too soft when locked out. So i went with a solid fork that i had the option of putting another suspesnion fork of my choosing on later. I don't think i will though. I am glad the granny gears are gone because now i don't waste my time in them. I am glad the suspension is gone because now i don't bounce off my bike and i cane take level ground obstacles with ease. downhill was only rough for the first ride down of the entire two hour ride and i got used to it. I enjoyed using my bike like i was a slalom skier avoiding buoys. more fun! If you can find this bike get it. personally i never pay msrp, i will buy a bike that is discounted because of age. never buy a 2010 bike in 2009 or 2010. I still can't beleive how i never felt as winded on climbs compared to the 26" wheel. i also was verycomfotable on this bike. decent seat too.

Favorite Trail:   Stokes St. park

Similar Products Used:   trek 4500 26" (not so similar) but I came off this bike for the redline.
Jamis 29er single speed. demo'd this bike, eh.

Bike Setup:   full stock, but will be getting new pedals. NO WAY I AM PUTTING A SUSPENSION FORK ON THIS BIKE, its a beauty. I padded the handbars to absorb shock with my own custom pads.

Submitted by wanderer_smatt a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Excellent Geometry almost a trials bike but with 29ers, Good tires (turned the back tire around for better traction in the soft stuff).Can't say enough about 29ers.

Weaknesses:    Rear Brakes do fade after prolonged downhills.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money. Just enjoy the feel of steel compared to aluminum. Adding a front shock is the only thing missing from this bike, but with the added benefit on 29ers you don't have too, just air down and go.

Favorite Trail:   So Many

Purchased At:   AZ Bikes

Bike Setup:   Added front Fox Shock.

Submitted by Damn Dan the Biker Man a Cross Country Rider from Golden, Co

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2009

Strengths:    Stable, ride is very smooth and it just handles remarkably. Does everything well, commutes, climbs 2500 feet up single track after work and looks great doing it. Hauls the kid trailer into town for bagels, and sometimes the trailer bike and the kid trailer.

Weaknesses:    None - takes a little while to get used to fully rigid - and on rugged trails a suspension fork would soften things up a bit. The brakes are a little weak - I might upgrade those.

Bottom Line:
I Love this bike. I was looking for a new commuter bike last year and had been intrigued by the 29er thing. I had test ridden a Redline monocog 29er at the LBS but was not quite sold on the single speed thing. Then I saw this thing on e-bay and I just bought on impulse. Wow - have ever been converted over to 29ers. This thing handles great - I have been riding bikes for a long time - and I was amazed that after each ride this bike just got better and better. I have a farily short commute - but I find myself leaving early in the morning to take a longer route to work. I find myself riding at lunch just to ride. I find myself going 10 miles out my way on the way home just because it so darn fun to ride this bike. Great Bike - I would buy this bike again for twice what I paid for it.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Gulch

Similar Products Used:   None - this my first 29er.

Bike Setup:   19 inch size frame Origingal Mono9 19 inch setup, X9 rear deraliur and shifter, FSA 32T front gear. Avid BB5 brakes, Ritchey seatpost, stem and bar.

Submitted by stifa a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Strengths:    Fun ride ,fast , stable cool looking

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy

Bottom Line:
After about 2000Km on the bike it is even more fun to ride each time , and I still love to step back and just look at them . Size large are a bit long for me (1.79M) but I prefer it on medium size . Seatpost height is still something I play with a little. Changed the brakes to Magura hydro discs - WAY better then the Avid BB5 the bike came with . The front derailleur is not usually a problem although it is very close to the rear tire .

Favorite Trail:   Uphills

Purchased At:   Pedalim

Similar Products Used:   My first 29er

Bike Setup:   Mono9 bike converted to 3X9 , XT gears , LX crankset , Magura brakes , Time ATAC pedals

Submitted by Rotem a Cross Country Rider from Jerusalem ,Israel

Purchased At:   Pedalim

Similar Products Used:   My first 29er

Submitted by ttam a Cross Country Rider from St. George UT

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great climber, technical or otherwise, great in the twisty stuff and better on the downhill than I thought a rigid bike could be

Weaknesses:    Brakes are OK until you really NEED them

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a second bike to my full suspension and planned to ride it on only the most tame xc trails. That would have been a waste. This bike is good on most all trails within reason. It's better on a fast downhill than you would expect(as long as it's not too rocky)and on a tech climb the 29er lives up to it's hype. I may never buy another FS bike.

Favorite Trail:   JEM / hurricane rim

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   First 29er

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by hoodoohoo a Cross Country Rider from colorado

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2008

Strengths:    nice parts and frame for the price; 9 spd; solid build quality;

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Great trail and fire road assault vehicle; good way to take a break from single speed riding; 9 spd is nice to have; good way to try a 29er bike.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   trek mtn bikes; bianchi cross bikes; salsa road bike

Bike Setup:   redline oem: avid bb5; sram x-7; wtb wheels

Submitted by Darin Devine a Weekend Warrior from CB, IA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2008

Strengths:    Price, steel frame, looks - this is a great looking bike. I found a 2008 - like the color over the 2009. 1x9 and rigid fork is all about simplicity. Load it up and ride it.

Weaknesses:    Tires - not a fan of the stock tires. Purchased 2.3 tires for a more plush ride with the rigid forks.

Bottom Line:
For the money how can you go wrong? Great way to get into a 29er. The steel frame is great, very comfortable. I'm 6'1 32" inseam and the 19 inch fits me. Redline got it right.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   Trails Edge

Similar Products Used:   none in terms of 29er. First 29er.

Bike Setup:   Changed out the grips and seat post

Submitted by phpeter a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, Maryland

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    My bike is actually the MONO9, which is step above the 460, but a step below the D660. The D460 replaced the MONO 9. If you can find this, go get it because it has upgraded componants (brakes and gearing) and has the better steel frame. Anyway, this bike is outfitted well for this price range (SRAM 9), very comfortable bike for a bigger guy (6'2" 225#), climbs really well, rides very smooth (for a rigid) and it handles like a dream. I have about 20 hours on the bike and I love it more than my old specialized rockhopper or my cannondale killer v500.

Weaknesses:    Grips are not my favorite and I think I am going to upgrade to a different bar (wrist pain).

Bottom Line:
This bike is a ton of fun. I bike in Triathlons, cyclocross and also mountain biking, so I am no MTB expert...just a weekend MTB hack who likes to have fun. What I can say is that all you need are 9 speeds and the gearing is perfect for the hills of Maryland and I have a blast riding this bike. Plus, with the 29er wheels, I can swap out cyclocross tires for training or put hybrid type tires on for nieghborhood rides. My bike is totally rigid, which is good for now, but come spring I will switch to a Reba fork, but no need now.

Favorite Trail:   I'll never tell.

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor, Timoniu

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   I have this bike stock.

Submitted by Crashly a Cross Country Rider from El Cajon, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    Good frame. Very solid rims if you are a heavy rider. Decent Brakes, Good shifting

Weaknesses:    Cheasy crank arms. These things feel paper thin in some areas. Hard narrow seat, perfect if you are into those type of seats, but give me a little cushion.

Bottom Line:
Great bike so far. The price was right and I really wanted a quality steel hardtail with a lifetime warranty. The rim build up was also what I was looking for. These things are not light but they are strong and I would rather spend an extra minute pedaling than 10 minutes truing my rims every other ride. This is also my first 29er. I am 6'3", with the 21" frame it felt nearly spot on. The cockpit will get some of the fine tuning that takes a few hundred miles but that is really all a riders preferances anyway. My first ride was in the dark this morning at 5:30AM, on a steep dirt road that I have never before ridden. I was on and off the brakes the entire ride which drops 1000' in 3 miles. The bike did not feel squirmish and held all of my chosen lines. If redline would have put some real cranks on this bike it would be perfect out of the box. The large tires felt completly natural to me and I have never given them a second thought. Overall it is a great bang for the buck when you comapare the alternatives and their prices.

Purchased At:   Zumewalts

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR4, Gary Fisher/Cinelli Otomilia

Bike Setup:   Stock except for gel seat

Submitted by mrsato1 a Weekend Warrior from Bentonville, AR

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Solid Chro-MO construction. Climbs everything great.

Weaknesses:    Seat hurts hurts the "boyz".

Bottom Line:
This bike is F-awesome! This is the first real MTB bike that I have purchased. My buddy in FL told me the RedLine 29er was the way to go and he was right. This thing can handle it all. This bike has just a solid feel, much better that some of the aluminum 29er bikes that I tried. Several other bikers on the trail were in awe when they saw the stock setup with the REBA SL fork. I got a great deal on the 2008($769.00)and I ordered the REBA SL fork ($306.00). This bike was a steal for this price. These bikes are worth every penny-even at retail prices. Lifetime warranty. Get it! Ride it! Break it!...and get another one!

Favorite Trail:   Hobbs 9 mile

Purchased At:   Mojo Sport

Similar Products Used:   Old beater.

Bike Setup:   Stock plus a REBA SL 29er fork.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin, California

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    Light, fast, fun, sturdy. Reasonably priced. Easily upgradable, and able to be setup with a double/triple crankset and/or a front shock. Tons of fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    Cheap-o Avid BB5 brakes and SRAM x7 derailleur/shifter

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike recently after shopping around and reading all the reviews I could find. I settled on this bike after comparing it to other bikes like the Salsa El Mariachi, Surly Karate Monkey, and Vassago Bandersnatch. For the money, this bike is spec'd well and is -- in most ways -- as good as or better than it's competition. Sure, the Avid BB5's arent' exactly the best brakes, and the SRAM x7 derailleur/shifter combo isn't the best, but you get what you pay for. I paid 960 out the door for this thing, and compared to other bikes in the same price range, this thing is doing well. Besides, there's something so cool about running below the top of the line for parts, I think... it's like you're able to ride harder faster with less worry. The components do their job, too. The brakes are good, and so is the shifting. I kind of wanted stronger brakes, but I've been commuting on a near-brakeless bike for a while and have gotten used to not stopping on a dime.
I've been riding some fast, sweepy single track and this thing comes alive. It's like the cockpit of the bike is designed for me... there was no awkward "getting to know you" phase, I just jumped on it and went. It feels like I've been riding this bike for years, the geometry is that good. For all you stats seekers out there, I'm 6'2" w/ a 34" inseam and riding the XL (21"). The 1 x 9 gear setup is perfect, too. I don't want any more -- or less -- gears. I can cruise at 20mph+ without spinning out, which is great for commuting and riding around town, and I can chug up the steeps without any wheezing. I'd recommend this bike over the single speed for these reasons.
So, for these reasons this bike rocks. I'd say that I had more fun on it today than I've had in a long time (I own a 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT, too). I'm probably going to race it at a local mountain bike race, too, and do better than I did on the blur. If you want a fast, fun, nimble, light, ergonomic, cool bike, this is the one. Finally a bike company nailed the geometry and feel I've been searching for.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay

Purchased At:   iBikes, Rocklin

Similar Products Used:   Compared to the Salsa El Mariachi or any other frame only do it yourself rigid steel 29er build, this bike is a steal.

Bike Setup:   All stock except for a set of Specialized Lo Pro Mag 2 platform pedals and a Specialized Saddle.