Redline D 660 29er Hardtail

4.57/5 (30 Reviews)

Super lightweight and strong U6 double butted aluminum alloy tubing frame with a replaceable rear derailleur hanger. Race worthy RockShox Reba SL fork with 100mm of travel. Sure stopping Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes with 160mm rotors. SRAM X.9 shifter and rear derailleur combined with the Truvativ Stylo 32T crankset with chainring. Sturdy, smooth rolling Redline sealed bearing hubs laced up to 29” WTB Laser disc trail rims. Available in 4 sizes ( 15”-21”) center to top.

Submitted by B. Gibson a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2013

Strengths:    Tough, reasonably light, handling, value.

Weaknesses:    No remote lockout. Stock tires.

Bottom Line:
This is for the new 13 model. Thru axles front and rear, Mavic crossride wheels, X9 2x10 drivetrain. I'm 5' 11", 2005 lbs, 32" inseam and owned a 2012 SD-660 in a 19" frame. After trying a buddy's 17" Redline, I got a 17" with a 110mm stem. Fits great, and the smaller frame is noably quicker thru tight switchbacks and quick line changes, without any twitchiness at speed. Love the way this thing steers! Just well balanced everywhere.
Weight without pedals on my 17 was 26.3 lbs. Not bad for sub $2,000. Sure, you can get a carbon bike and knock off maybe 2 lbs (for an additional $2k,} but it's a great real world, everyday badass.
I live and ride in NE Ohio, so no long climbs, but steep drops in and out of creek and river valleys, with lots of roots, and the occasional rock crossings. Typical eastern/ midwest trail conditions. The D 660 is confidence inspiring everywhere - fast flowy trails, steep and sketchy ups and downs, twisty rooty stuff .... great bike.
Highly recommend this bike for entry level to sportt xc racers, anyone looking for a durable, fast hardtail that works well in East coast style trails ( and probaly elsewhere), without costing a mint.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican state park 24 mi loop of singletrack

Similar Products Used:   2012 D 660 , 2011 Scott Scale Expert, 11 Monocog all 19" frame size.

Bike Setup:   Answer flat bars, spd m540 pedals, pop lock remote lockout, Ritchey wcs short bar ends, xt cassette, shimano chain, 36 t big ring.

Submitted by mike180 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2012

Strengths:    handles well ,good parts for the price, great local dealer, alternative bike shop!

Weaknesses:    rear brake vibrates badly, changed out the rotors and it helped but still annoying, swapped to stans wheels and still no change, also tossed the front chairing set in favor of the optional lower set now available 26/ 39 is a bit steep for new hampshire woods riding

Bottom Line:
after braking 2 gary fisher paragon frames i thought id give redline a shot. gladi did, at 235 lbs i would call myself fairly aggressive cc rider, and this has been ridden 2 seasons now without failurei hope they build a full suspension with 100 mm travel soon

Duration Product Used:   2 seasons

Similar Products Used:   jamis pro 26, fisher paragon 29

Bike Setup:   stans wheels, wide bars, optional 24/tooth front ring, ice rotors 185mm ,hutchinson rubber

Submitted by Flash a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, handling, ride quality.

Bottom Line:
I love the way this bike rides and handles. As good as a bike costing twice as much.

Favorite Trail:   Right now I guess Rangeline Indy

Bike Setup:   1X9 with MRP 1.X . Love it set up this way.

Submitted by Velosopher

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2012

Strengths:    -Price to Awesomeness ratio.
-Workhorse spec: nothing so fancy that I feel like coddling the thing (XX and XTR make me queasy)
-Responsive and fast.
-Nice mechanical brakes rather than crappy hydraulics
-Sealed bearing hubs that roll like greased butta

Weaknesses:    None really, it's not especially light but neither am I.
The brakes could be nicer, and the wheels could be lighter, but the bike could also cost more.

Bottom Line:
This thing rides like a dream, and I still have a few dollars left in the annual bike budget.
It is spec'd in such a way, with the nicer fork, that you could change the wheel/tire combo, and have a relatively light bike.
Bottom line is that anyone, from recreational rider, to all but top level racers should give this a hard look...Saving money is cool, especially if you put it toward having more bikes.

Submitted by CHP71 a Cross Country Rider from Maple Valley

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light and Fast. Redline stands by their warrantee. I broke the first frame I bought and they replaced it that day. The bike handles corners like a dream. Climbs like a frakin' mountian goat

Weaknesses:    So far on this frame, nothing.

Bottom Line:
I absolutly love this bike. I bought just the frame which is why I got it so cheap. The bike is strong, light and very adjil (spelling???) No regrets on this one, it is a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Black Diamond

Purchased At:   GHY Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Windsor 29er

Bike Setup:   Single Speed (32x20), Ridged with Carbon Forks, Melvin chain tensioner, Kenda Nevigal tires

Submitted by expostdelirium a Cross Country Rider from KS

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Strengths:    It's lightweight, has a very comfortable/rideable geometery. It climbs well. I've been in near-wreck situations that this bike just seemed to pull out of - somehow. I guess that's I'm trying to say that I've pushed this bike quite hard, and it's taken it quite well, and has made me a better rider.

Weaknesses:    It really has no "weaknesses" per se. I ride rigid, and since moving to a longer carbon fork, it's not as snappy. I will likely change my stem and change to risers. I'd like to find a shorter carbon fork as well.

Bottom Line:
I built this bike as listed above for just under 650, so it's a been a good deal, and I can say that know what I know about this bike that I'd easily pay more for it if I were to have to buy it new.

The bike would be good for anyone that wants to ride a hardtail/rigid 29er, and that is somewhat on a budget. It is perfect for the person that wants a bike that doesn't want to HAVE to upgrade a bunch of components.

When you get the bike on a line, at speed, it will keep that line, and it's worth every penny I've put into it.

Favorite Trail:   'most any trail

Purchased At:   Frame only from Priv

Similar Products Used:   None - first 29er build. But not my only 29er (anymore). I use X-7/X-9/X-0 on lots of other bikes, and it works as well on this bike as it does on this one. I use BB7 on my other 29er as well: they're the best brakes for the money IMO.

Bike Setup:   2x9, SRAM PG-990 11-34 Cassette, X-7 f/r der, X-0 gripshift f/r, Avid BB7 f/r, RF Evolve XC (175mm), Shimano SPD, (CHEAP!) WTB Laser Disc Wheelset on Fuji hubs, Specialized Fast Trak (running front "ghetto" tubeless w/ Gorilla Glue duct tape and Slime), Bontrager Race flat bar, Origin 8 Black Ops Carbon fork, Specialized seat.....

Submitted by manifest.son a Cross Country Rider from Warrensburg MO

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, component value for money, high speed handling, great looking bike!

Weaknesses:    Low speed-cornering, stock saddle is not my style. Can't perform miracles?

Bottom Line:
As said in other reviews, the d660 is on the short list of best value for a hardtail 29er.
The faults with the bike are minor, it doesn't corner at low-speed as tight as my 26er, that's to be expected. Honestly that is the only thing I don't like about the bike.
The high speed handling is almost scary stable. I still haven't been brave enough to push the bike's limits on some high speed turns. The d660 can take turns way faster (even on pavement) than my 26er.
Shifting is quick. I was worried about the 1x9 gearing, but it's perfect for trail riding. It even suffices for short commuting on the road too, obviously you won't win any road races though...
The bike is quite light for a metal 29er. Mine (17" frame) is just under 28 pounds with pedals. It is lighter than most 26ers and lots of old road bikes around my campus. If you want to put some money into aftermarket components it could easily be under 25 pounds.
I love the graphics, I get lots of compliments and turned heads when I ride. Not everyone cares about looks, but why not have a bike that rides AND looks great?
Bottom line: Fun Bike, Perfect for weekend warriors,if you have $1500 hundred for your MTB budget you should test-ride this bike.

Purchased At:   Freeride Bike &Skate

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3500, ancient Trek Antelope

Bike Setup:   2010 stock, except for Salsa seat clamp, Ergon grips, and a Pro Plt stem (shorter than stock).

Submitted by Drexler a Cross Country Rider from Deephaven, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2010

Strengths:    This aluminum frame is light and strong with efficient geometry in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    This is my first 29er frame so I don't have a point of comparison. However, I must point out that the paint scratches quite easily. This might affect its resell value but I am not concern about that because I am keeping it.

Bottom Line:
Very satisfied with my custom built 2008 fire red Redline D660 19". Once again, this is my first 29er bike so I don't have a point of comparison. My 1x9 set up weighs 21Lbs. Single speed, about 26 Lbs because of the 44mm wide Kris Holms wheels and Surly steal fork that I am using at the moment.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Bike Setup:   I bought this frame new from Ebay and built it up to my requirements in terms of components:

Carbon components:
Chris King headset
WTB Weirwolf 2.55 tires
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
Specialized BG saddle

I'm currently running it single speed but I also run it 1x9 with a SRAM mid cage X-9 Derailleur 11-34T.

Submitted by merckxorange a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Strengths:    "Cheap," steam-roller that can go over anything!

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheels, handgrips are worthless...easy fix.

Bottom Line:
Riding is much more enjoyable on this compared to my old 26" hardtail, which was top-of-the-line for its day (2006). I look forward to obstacles that I used to dread. Steep (but short) inclines are much easier with the extra traction (even out of the saddle). The big wheels give a floating sensation over trail chatter and cornering is much more confident. I do find myself shifting a lot more..kind of like an 18 wheeler...to get the big wheels moving and long hills are a task. The rear wheel has also come out of true quickly, which never happened on my 26". Overall I am happy though. Buy it if you like hardtails and want an inexpensive trail-oriented (vice XC race) bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Similar Products Used:   None. Upgraded from a 26" hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mo0se a Cross Country Rider from Bentonville, AR.

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    2010 model. Great component Spec. for the money... very hard to beat! 26.10 Lbs for a Large 19" frame with pedals (Crank bros. Candy SL) Great geometry, great handling, super climber!
1x9 is a great setup. 34 x 11-32

Weaknesses:    Comes with reflectors and a cassette disc :)

Bottom Line:
If you can find a better part spec. and handling bike for this amount of money, I'd like to know what it is. Lifetime warranty, and fun as hell to ride! This has to be the best value on a hardtail 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Leatherwood

Purchased At:   Mojo Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F29, Redline Monocog Flight SS, Fisher HIFI 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by MXSimps a Cross Country Rider from The Mitten

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    Solid aluminum frame, stock parts spec pretty good. Climbs and handles very well.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset and cassette is heavy but can't compain due to the overall cost of the bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid considering the low-cost of ownership compared to most 29er's. Stock specs are ok but a new wheelset is definitely worth upgrading for a high cool factor and to get the weight down for racing your bro's. The frame is solid and I have actually gotten real comfortable with the wide bars even in sections where trees line the trails. Ground clearance is good and the thing changes directions like a deer on the run; feverishly hopping over logs and bustin' a move through the twisties. The steel grey finish with bright green highlight's screams eff-eh-ess-tee (FAST). Climbing prowess is great. The stock Reba performs really well when setup correctly. I am not limited by the 1x9 drivetrain but did opt for a lighter and larger 34t rear cassette. Immediately dropped the Sram components for Shimano. Seems like the mechanical brake lines took 8 months to finish stretching out. I can finally stop now with some confidence, I've added organic pads and got rid of the heavy stock rotors. Also added the n'gear jump stop as recommended by others to eliminate dropping the chain. This is my first 29er and I'm a believer. Fat tires and low-pressure is good, do it.

Favorite Trail:   The one with good dirt

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Bike Setup:   Stans ZTR355 rims, DT swiss spokes, Velocity hubs, XT Shadow rear der., XT cassette, Kenda Karma 2.1's w/ Stans tubeless kit.

Submitted by Gary Fisher a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, MI. USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    Value. Components similar to $2000 bikes!
Simplicity. 1x9 keeps it simple and quiet!
Lightweight. All the weight is in the Wheels.

Weaknesses:    SRAM 951 chain broke on climb.
MUST add a Jump Stop if riding rough terrain.

Bottom Line:
Once I decided to purchase a 29 hardtail, I did a lot of research. When you compare everything, this bike is spec'd out better than most bikes up to the $2000 range. This bike was only $1200 new but the new models have jumped to $1500, but's it still a better value. Redline isn't a very big name in mountain bikes but once you compare and consider the strong and very light R6 double butted frame, you won't look any further. I ride a very rough loop that can beat up a bike pretty good. It's kind of nice to have a bike that won't slow you down but didn't cost so much that you're afraid to really get at it. The 1x9 has made me a stronger rider. Rarely do I need a larger chainring. It's good up to about 30 mph!

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Shop employee

Similar Products Used:   First 29er.

Bike Setup:   1000 miles and still all stock except chain and added a Jump Stop. Cut bars 1" Might swap rear cassette for 11-36?

Submitted by DirkBike a Cross Country Rider from Chino Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Light 26.02 lbs. out of the box without pedals 19" frame. A very well thought out bike. Excellent Value for the money. Nice components.

Weaknesses:    I don't see my wife as much.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't be happier. this bike has the look, quality and performance I was hoping for. Coming from a full suspension bike I was concerned about buying a HardTail but the 29er wheels seem to absorb most of the bumps and has become a non issue. I couldn't find anyone that stocked this bike in California but John over at Freewheeling bikes in Chino (P.S. he gave me a 10% credit towards accessories) ordered me one and from the moment I stoodover it I new it was mine. The flat bars are a nice surprise in that my wrists use to hurt after riding but with these they don't as my shoulder,elbow, and wrist are lined up and in a more natural position.

Favorite Trail:   Carbon Canyon

Purchased At:   Freewheeling Bikes,

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er HardTail. My last bike was an 11 year old Specialized Ground Control Comp full suspension.

Bike Setup:   Shimano M520 pedals. Upgraded bars to Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Flat Bar with 12 degree bend and 660mm width.

Submitted by DEmbry a Cross Country Rider from Corona, CA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Simplicity!!! Flawless shifting, fairly lite @ 25lbs (with Wheelset change), climbing.

Weaknesses:    It wasn't free...

Bottom Line:
I spend the majority of my time single tracking/climbing and this ride fits the bill perfectly. It inspires confidence and begs for speed on rough descending single tracks. It climbs like a goat, but different than a 26. Climb like it’s a smaller wheeled bike and you may be disappointed. Treat it like a single speed and it’s impressive. It will definitely make you a stronger climber. The added leverage from the wide bars is a plus on tighter more technical tracks. I was a little concerned with the 1x9 setup (34/11-32) but it’s been a non-issue. It keeps you honest on the climbs and gives enough gearing on the flats to stay pace with the 3x9er’s. This is one of those bikes where the sum of all parts makes for a great bike. Good Job Redline!!!

If you’re new to MTBing this may not be a perfect fit, the lack of a small front chainring will make climbing exhausting and frustrating. But if you’ve been in the game for a bit this is definitely a bike to check out.

Purchased At:   Free-Wheeling Bikes