Raleigh XXIX 29er Hardtail

• Saddle: WTB Laser V Comp
  • Chain: KMC

Submitted by JL a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2013

Strengths:    Solid, smooth, quiet, color, belt drive, clean, and the pricepoint.

Weaknesses:    Not with this bike

Bottom Line:
Thought I should give belt drive a try as a delicated single speed rider.
It is insanely quiet, smooth, and eye candy compared to chain.
The weight of this bike witb stock setup may not be ideal for weight weenies, but I don't think it's fair to talk about weight with a bike at this price point.
The performance cannot be touch by other bikes at the same price point.
I'm not sure I ever want to touh those greasy dirty chains ever again!
The EBB design for this model is very nice.
It takes a while to do initial tension set up, but once you get it you may never have to touch it again.
Go BELT!

Favorite Trail:   cold warer

Similar Products Used:   Niner One 9 single speed chain driven (collecting dust after I got this XXIX belt drive)

Bike Setup:   Stock parts

Submitted by matthewcooper a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Strengths:    Incredibly fun bike! After 3 years away from a lifetime of mountain biking this machine is my steed of re-entry. I love the medium geometry and the feel of steel 29er. Its a more spacious frame than most medium frames Ive riden over the years. It handles excellently going up or down, even really really fast down. The belt drive is awesome, 6 months hard riding now and not one slip or tweak. Tires are amazingly grippy yet roll quietly. Everything feels solid with a few basic changes.

Weaknesses:    Grips had to be changed immediately. Stem was too long for me and had to swap (I'm 5'9 on a medium frame with a long arm reach too). The brakes are not great, they will get you by as long as you monitor grease contact and pad wear. The front hub will loosen up and release grease onto the disc brake rotor = NO brakes! You can fix this with some lock-tite, proper tightening, and maybe some electrical tape for an additional seal.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike barely used and love it. For the price, this has been the best mtb I've ever owned, even with the small modifications.

Favorite Trail:   Powell Butte Nature Park

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Lots of XC hardtails, full suspension all mountain rigs, old downhill bikes, a handful of rigid singlespeeds.

Bike Setup:   Swapped the long stock stem for a 40mm "bmx" type. Swapped seat color for a quick release (SO much better for cathing air and downhill). Cheap grips to replace poorly designed stock grips. Platform pedals with homemade "power-grip" straps.

Submitted by Jonathan Chapman

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    Belt drive, Geometry in Large is good, Simplicity!

Weaknesses:    Paint job is weak and rusts, rear hub did not last, 10mm width belt snapped, grips too thin

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in new condition. It came with a 10mm width belt and within 2 months it snapped. I received 2 replacement belts from Gates Carbon Drive at no cost. I installed the Spot Brand flange for the rear pulley to keep the belt from walking off and purchased a used Chris King single speed rear hub. Ever since those basic upgrades to the drivetrain, there has been little-to-no problems. Every 2-3 months I re-tension the belt through the EBB.
I am now sanding off rusty areas on the frame to reapply primer, pain and clear coat. Specifically, the top tube cable guides started rusting within 4 months. I've now had the bike for 1.5 years and need to repaint the top tube, bb area and other areas that were not scratched, just rusting.

I've also upgraded the poor stopping power of the Avid BB5 to hydraulics (Hayes Stroker) and that was the best improvement. Also put a Manitou Tower Pro on. Also, Oury lock on grips were the first addition.

All in all, I would rate this bike very good. But I bought it new/used for $520, not the $1100 MSRP.

Submitted by jaspas a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Strong beefy bike, simple design, low maintenance, supple ride

Weaknesses:    bb5's are a little on the weak side, front hub loves to loosen up on it's own in the middle of a ride

Bottom Line:
I borrowed this bike from a friend for about the last month and have had so much fun! It's my first time to ride a 29er, let alone a rigid single speed. A different type of riding for sure, but a blast - makes me feel like being a kid again. Around KC, the rigid fork does just fine and the stock gearing 33x20 (I think) suites the trails around here pretty well. After adjusting the front hub, the loosening issue seems to be solved. I took this bike to CO over spring break and it (along with the altitude) reminded me of how weak I am. SS riding isn't for the faint of heart but is a lot of fun and I've had an awesome time riding this bike. If it were setup tubeless it would be even better, but I'm still able to run 25-28 psi tubed. It's a no frills, straight shooting steel 29er. If I could afford to get something like this for myself as a second bike I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thanks to this bike, I've been bitten by the 29er bug and have to evaluate how I can add one to my stable this season.

Favorite Trail:   around here - Landahl Park

Purchased At:   borrowed

Similar Products Used:   1st 29er

Bike Setup:   stock 2008 raleigh xxix with 2.3 weirwolf's

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2011

Strengths:    Updated 2012 from 2011 with shorter chainstays, less flexy with belt drive. Stock trim isn't terribly cheezy, actually not bad. Very quiet and smooth.

Weaknesses:    Only thing I can cry about is the BB5 disks. Not the greatest but I have a trick to make them tolerable and knew I was buying hydros anyway. And also not so much a weakness but rather what I would call crappy business ethics...if you get the kriket belt tension gauge from Gates for a MTB belt setup, you'll pay $40.00-$50.00, but if you go to NAPA the same kriket gauge (made by Gates for NAPA mind you) is $11.00. wtf?

Bottom Line:
I love this bike so far! Glad I ordered in the 2012 instead of saving couple of hundred for hold over XXIX belt drive. They seem to have worked out the most nagging bugs and so far, no problems. Gates CDX is definitely better than 2011 model and pretty much a set it and forget it setup. However...you will need a little patience the first time you set it up and get it all straight, but after that, you're golden.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sports...won

Similar Products Used:   I have a Rockhopper Comp, Rockhopper Expert S.S., and Mojave29. All built up 29ers but this is first steel frame in years.

Bike Setup:   RockShox Tora 318 Solo-air, 100mm w/lockout, Truvativ Noir Race carbon bars, Truvativ Stylo Race 90mm stem, Truvativ Team seatpost 20mm setback, Charge Spoon saddle, VP sealed bearing low profile platforms.

Submitted by biopacebob1 a Cross Country Rider from MODESTO

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    It's a 29er, yup

Weaknesses:    The wheelset, but at this price ? c-mon it's more than ok

Bottom Line:
Why did we have to make mtb bikes with 26 inch inch wheels in the first place ? Debate over !! 29 is the winner. turns every bit as well as the 26 " hardtail I've had for 9 years. The rocks all just got alot smaller, gotta find bigger rocks. The frame flexs real nice when a little cushion is needed. No one makes bells out of aluminum, they wouldn't ring. So why make bikes out of it ? And gears ? we don't need no stink'n gears. Anyway I just got a new bike buzz for less than a grand, way less.

Favorite Trail:   CA

Purchased At:   MODESTO

Bike Setup:   I also have time pedals

Submitted by Big Red a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2011

Strengths:    Tough bike, nice geometry very grippy tires

Weaknesses:    Heavy tires BB slips some but a little locktite on the fixing screws works wonders

Bottom Line:
Great bike from Raliegh. Its almost like having an oversized BMX bike. Rides good. Check out www.agees.com for more. The bike rides smoother than I expected due to the steel construction and me being used to aluminum hardtails. Rolls over everything and I can lay it into the corners without fear of the tires slipping.

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk

Purchased At:   Agee's Bicycles www.

Similar Products Used:   First 29

Bike Setup:   Stock with Time Atac pedals

Submitted by leftino a Weekend Warrior from Ft Collins CO USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2011

Strengths:    Good Over all i am 1st time 29er love it so far

Weaknesses:    paint is a lil weak but hey its a mtb
Avid brakes seem a little less responsive slight adjustments seem to fix on the fly with the right tool kit

Bottom Line:
Had to but this bike at this price. My bro in law built his 29er last year.
I live in CO cold snow winters, but the rest of the year the bike tears it up all over trails here. Climbs, fire roads, desents tracks like a wolf on the hunt. ride to work on bike trails very responsive

Favorite Trail:   horsetooth

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop (must seek

Bike Setup:   Avid Brakes, WTB Wheels set tires, Easton bar n stem,Cane Creek headset,Specialized saddle

Submitted by 1mad-dog a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Weaknesses:    Paint job

Bottom Line:
My first foray into both 29'r bikes and single speed has been highly successful.
This bike has handled everything I have been able to chuck at it and has me excited about MTBing again.
I originally wanted to add front shocks, but have been pleasantly surprised with the ride and love the responsiveness when climbing hard
My only negative comment would be that the paint job dings up with the slightest contact
I would happily recommend this to anyone wanting to try off-road SS

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill Forest

Similar Products Used:   Marin Hawk Hill, Kona Lava Dome

Bike Setup:   Standard other than Shimano SPD

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Delaware

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, quick, responsive, agile and comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding the geared version XXIX+G for three years. I've always wanted to give the single speed a try without spending a lot of bucks. I was hesitant to get what i thought was basically the same bike. But I couldn't pass up the bargain I got on ebay. To my surprise it is a different bike than my geared version. Although the geometry is the same the fork has a different angle which makes the bike more agile and quicker. Not as hard as I thought going up the climbs. It feels pretty nimble and responsive. Whats neat is that I don't miss the suspension. The chromo steel soaks up the bumps well. Also note that some riders prefer the 2006 - 07 model (which is what i have) because it's not suspension corrected like the later models. Just a great bike and a great deal. I'm finding it hard to go back to the geared version.

Favorite Trail:   Brandywine