Orbea Lanza 29er 29er Hardtail

• Hubs: Bontrager Race Lite Disc 29
  • Tires: 29 x 2.20" Bontrager Jones ACX

Submitted by menthol a Cross Country Rider from Canyon lake Tx

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Heres my specs before i review, 5/11, 138lbs. ok im a lil guy.
this is the first mtb ive owned, always rode a bmx before.
i have the 18 inch model and its too big, but that being said i put a short stem on it and moved my saddle and no issues since. I race this bike as a 1X9, and it is so awesome, aside from being tubeless, i can outcorner a formula 1 driver. this bike climbs and it is truly meant for speed, so many say things about the bb and tire rub, well tire rub ok makes sense its a tight frame, but the BB, Go faster and jump higher, i ride this thing like a DH bike and it holds up very well.

Weaknesses:    Paint Chips.
Any sensable buyer will see that this bike is NOT meant for a rider weighing over 180 lbs.

Bottom Line:
I got the frame for free, but that being said after riding this bike i would buy it in a heartbeat.

i feel that with the retail cost of this bike already built, and for what i paid to build a 1X9 out of it, id still come in under what it costs to buy this bike complete even if i did pay the 550 retail for frame only.

Awesome bike for aluminum minded weight weenies

Favorite Trail:   bar H

Purchased At:   won in a raffle

Similar Products Used:   Never had a MTB, but tons of bmx's in the past

thomson stem
ESI chunk grips

Submitted by 2Niners Rock a Cross Country Rider from StL MO

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    This bike rolls, corners and climbs. Sure it is not plush as my full suspension 26 inch bike but this thing goes up hills and it is amazing how much better it holds in the corners. The 29 inch wheels help make up for the lack of rear suspension.

Weaknesses:    I've seen lots of complaints about the clearance on the rear wheel. Seems like Orbea improved it in the model year that I have which is an early 2008. Stay out of the mud and it isn't a problem.

Bottom Line:
I never thought I would get off a full suspension bike but this was the ticket.

Similar Products Used:   26 Inch bikes - but never again

Bike Setup:   Bontrager wheels and a Reba

Submitted by jose a Cross Country Rider from Spain

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    good-geometry, looks, fun to ride and very fast on the trail. Built in Spain, so no quality problems...

Weaknesses:    none (I don't think rear tire clearance is a problem, as long as you use it as a Cross Country bike)

Bottom Line:
I love 29er as it's more fun to ride and rolls easier. I haven't any rear tyre clearance problems (I use Hutchinson Python).29er climbs and goes around technical terrain better. I'll never ride a 26" again...

Similar Products Used:   everything in 26" and Orbea Alma 29" (test ride; I can't afford it, but if you have the $, simply go for it!)

Bike Setup:   slx groupset (xt cranks and front derailleur), mavic rims and orbea hubs, formula 18k brakes, reba race and zeus carbon (seatpost...)

Submitted by squiz a Cross Country Rider from Alice Springs

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2008

Strengths:    Very good race type 29er

Weaknesses:    Chainstays!
Mine might be uneven. A 2.1 DryX was rubbing on the chain
side.An axel shim at about 10 O'clock lets me run a 2.3 exiwolf.
so I am happy with that. I may see what Obrea has to say.

Bottom Line:
I like It
but love my Trek

Purchased At:   Ultimate ride

Similar Products Used:   Specialized fsr
Trek 9.9 Elite, setup as 69er. best bike ever.

Bike Setup:   29er xt wheelset
slx groupset

Submitted by khadden@starstream.net a Weekend Warrior from Rocklin, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2008

Strengths:    Great ride. Light.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire clearance.

Bottom Line:
I love the ride and handling of this bike. But the rear tire clearance is a major problem. It had 2.3 inch tires on it when it came. I really like the way the 2.3s hook up. But you simply cannot ride up any incline without the tire rubbing. I'm going to try a 2.1, but if that doesn't work, then what? A 1.9? how much difference will that make? I'm open to suggestions.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   26" bikes

Bike Setup:   Full XT. Reba Race. Bontrager Race Lite wheels

Submitted by abosch a Cross Country Rider from San Rafael, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Light, strong, quick, good-geometry, good-looks

Weaknesses:    Paint easily chips (so what, it's a mountain bike) & I'm not a fan of integrated headset (I prefer Chris King headsets)

Bottom Line:
Great bike... fun, smooth & fast on the trails. Great w/ the climbs and the downhill. Other posts have complained about the BB & rear wheel clearance, but it really isn't a big deal. Expect a lot of raves from your fellow riders.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Similar Products Used:   My 1st 29er, my other bikes are/have-been, Santa Cruz Blur & Superlight, KHS Alite 4000

Bike Setup:   Fox 29er fork, XTR cranks/shifters/derailleurs, Hayes El Camino disc brakes, King Headset, king hubs & Stans ZTR rims wheelset, Thomson seatpost & stem

Submitted by Erol a Cross Country Rider from Fairfield, CT

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    Higher-end solid components. 29inch wheels. Light weight. Versatility: swap tires with slicks and you have a decent bike for the road.

Weaknesses:    None so far after 1 year and 600miles plus usage.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is great on the mountain. 29inch tires make it easier. The bike just rolls easier. It is fairly light, about 26lb with mountain tires, so it is nice for longer climbs. And it can take abuse coming downhill.

I don't even ride my road bike anymore. I swap the tires with road tires and I can go for a longer ride on the road. The front suspension has a lock when needed.

I would not change anything on this bike. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a robust mountain bike with some versatility.

Purchased At:   Paddle and Pump, Darien CT

Bike Setup:   Standard that came with the bike. Rock shoks reba, juicy 5 breaks, sram 7 etc.

Submitted by Andrew Eckel a Cross Country Rider from Westford, MA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, stiff, ultra-light, fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    None yet really. The paint does chip easily but, whatever, it's a mountain bike...

Bottom Line:
I built it over the winter and haven't noticed any glaring issues. It's fun to ride, I haven't had any clearance problems at the chainstays and the frame is an '06. As built it's very, very light. Great climber for a 29er. Handles technical terrain w/ ease. Low BB has yet to be a problem. An early review - Favorite bike in the stable at the moment bike but I've had only limited time to spin around recently.

Favorite Trail:   Tophet Chasm

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Bike Setup:   XT Derailleurs and Cranks, Stan's Olympic 29er wheels, Fizik Gobi saddle, Avid Juicy Carbon Brakes, Thomson, Rock Shox Reba, XTR pedals, FSA headset, XO Triggers, XT Cassette, The Crow tires setup tubeless.

Submitted by drew a Racer from Austin, TX, US

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    decent price point, stiff enough/complaint enough

Weaknesses:    I find it a little whippy but I have "special needs". BB is low so you need to adjust on cross slopes and around big rocks and roots. Clearance is a bit of an issue but that's also a stiffness issue. Fix either one and the other is mostly solved.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money. Turns in the medium range which makes is a good all-rounder.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   360 Cycleworks (RIP)

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit 29er, Gary Fisher Paragon, Haro Mary 29er

Bike Setup:   stock except campy chorus carbon post and upgrade to race lite wheels

Submitted by turtle from seattle

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2007

Strengths:    The strength is in the design; the balance spot on. The quality of the frame is 100% grade AAA; nice paint too.

Weaknesses:    I'm not sure if the lower clearance is a strength or a problem; this is a race style bike, it's meant to be low.

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what's going on with some of the above reviews; they must have 2006 frames. The 2007 frame, does not have any problem with rear weel clearance. I'm running the Big Apple tires and there's tons of room.

I almost bought an 06 but the owner told me the biggest tire I dould fit would be a 2.1; I'm very glad I got the 07. I was afraid I wasn't going to like the bike so it took me a few days to go for a ride. But now that I've been riding with the Schwalbe Big Apples, I couldn't be happier; what a sweet bike. Thanks to Scott and Wes at Poison Spider in Moab; customer service doesn't get any better.

Similar Products Used:   Other 26 and 29ers. this frame is super sweet.

Bike Setup:   X-7, Juicy 5's and the Reba SL
BL Wheels and Schwalbe Big Apples

Submitted by John a Racer from Austin, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Strengths:    Strong/light/excellent ride characteristics/handling

Weaknesses:    Could have more rear tire clearance

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome ride. I was very hesitant about going back to a hardtail after 4 years on 26" f-s bikes, but so far have had zero comfort-related issues. I love the efficiency of a hardtail and this frame with it's s-bend seat-stays coupled with the 29er wheels makes for a pretty nice ride. A bump is still a bump, but this one certainly takes the edge off without losing too much forward momentum. Climbing loose and rocky ledges are not a problem, switch-back climbs and descents are effortless (relatively speaking), and fast/flat sections are a blast to ride. I highly recommend giving the Lanza a test ride or do what I did and sell your f-s and go cold-turkey. My 19" build comes in around 24lbs, which is less than my f-s (S-Works Epic). I am very satisfied and happy on this bike.

Purchased At:   NRC, Kyle Tx.

Similar Products Used:   Alma 29er (loaner 'till my bike came in)
Kona Kula 29er (test ride)

Bike Setup:   Full XT build, Reba Team, Truvative Stylo crankset/bb, AM Classic wheels

Submitted by Tracy Martinez a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness, race geometry; Bike can be raced right out of the box or can be upgraded further to your liking depending on the terrain ridden. Short stays, short head tube and longer sloping top tube puts the rider in a comfortable but aggressive position.

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket height; slim clearance in the chain stays and XT front der rubs against any tire larger then 2.1.; Paint chips easily, but contributes to a lower overall weight for you weight weenies due to the thin one coat paint job; Expensive if purchased retail ~ buy one on-line and save the cash leftover for a single speed 29er of course!

Bottom Line:
Love the bike for the price I paid on-line built to the spec above. I've owned countless 26" hard tails and full suspension rigs including one other 29er (Niner One) and the Orbea just fits like a new glove. I'm more capable on the ascents and descents with this bike then any of my full suspension bikes I've ridden. I'm 6 ft tall and would recommend the 29" wheels to any rider of any ability. I've officially converted to the 29er revolution after this bike purchase and contribute the race geometry of the frame and larger wheel diameter. The short stays, short heat tube and sloping top tube could not have been designed better in my opinion. If I had the cash flow, I would definitely pick up the Alma, but don't feel any bike is worth their retail value. Buy this bike if you are a X-Country or weekend warrior rider; pass if you are a downhill or all-mountain rider, although I have ridden this bike in rocky, loose and rough terrain, this bike excels in twisty single track with smaller sized rocks, roots and drops. Anything obstacle too large hits the bottom bracket or crank. Would rate the Lanza 5 habaneros if the price was more reasonable and the bottom bracket were higher and the stays a bit wider. That said, I would recommend this bike whole heartedly.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Falcon

Purchased At:   On-line

Similar Products Used:   Niner One - TRY IT!

Bike Setup:   Full XT; Salsa Delgado rims with King rear disc hub and front Maverick 20mm hub; Maverick SC32; Easton carbon flat bar, post, Tune flipped stem; WTB front 2.3, WTB rear 1.9

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Hood River, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Light, fast, stiff (just enough). With a ti seatpost, I thought I had my "race weapon".

Weaknesses:    Not enough clearance at the chainstays. Rear tire rubbed about 1/3 of the way through both sides within about 30 hours of riding, despite retensioning of spokes by excellent local wheelbuilder.

Bottom Line:
Orbea had a good thing going with this bike -- almost. The chainstay issue is insurmountable, unless you are very light, and run a very narrow tire, or both. At 190 lbs, I tried the narrower rear tire, and still had a lot of rubbing. The final straw was that Orbea provided a paltry $300 refund for the frame! I considered being a putz and trying to return the whole bike, but decided to switch all the parts over to a Sultan, which is an absolute dream bike.

A very fair price for the bike, but only one chili overall, because this frame could actually be considered unsafe due to the miniscule tire clearance at the chainstays.

Similar Products Used:   Turner Sultan (parts switched over).

Bike Setup:   Standard Lanza XT setup with Reba fork and Bonty Racelite Disk wheels. Stock Bonty tires -- a very narrow 2.2.

orbea lanza team 29er weight

anybody know what this bike weighs out of the box? I am seriously considering buying one and i love the geometry, but i dont want to spend 2600 bucks on a porker of a hardtail. also, for a 2600 dollar budget, what raceworthy 29er hardtails could i afford? my lbs sells orbea, thats why i am leanin ... Read More »

Orbea Lanza 29er, 2009 and 2010 tire clearance

My old Lanza from 2008 broke the other day and I will probably get a new one on warranty. My old frame did suffer of really bad tire clearance. 2.2 is about absolute maximum. I read somewhere that Orbea had fixed this problem for later models and increased the tire clearence. Does anyone know if ... Read More »

ORBEA LANZA 29er

Some pics of my first 29er. I'm still swappin' parts to make it lighter and comfier. The last pic is taken near a really nice singletrack. When I master my video skills, I'll post it here.Read More »

Picked up my new (to me) Orbea 29er Team Lanza!

I got a great deal on it. I actually started riding on this bike and got spoiled. Was able to ride several FS bikes as well as friends have extra bikes I used. I got a Hardrock for myself and just didn't feel confident on the more technical stuff. My friend put up the 29er for sale as he ... Read More »

Ft Del. For A Orbea Lanza 29er

picked up a lanza 29 frame last week,they are know for tight tire clearance but a killer ride.please pass on the proper ft, del for max clearance and if I should go with trad. or bottom swing...Shimano new slx group is hitting market,I was told they were to address this problem...any feedback thx.. ... Read More »