Novara Ponderosa 29er Hardtail

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Updated to bring the awesome, the Novara Ponderosa® 29er hardtail mountain bike features a remote lockout on the 80mm fork for easy adjustment on the fly.
  • Butted 6061 aluminum frame features an S-bend down tube and bent seat tube for enhanced handling and performance
  • Set to soak up rough terrain, the 80mm SR Suntour XCR fork features an alloy steerer, magnesium lowers, preload adjustment and remote, bar-top lockout
  • Sturdy Shimano Deore/SLX 27-speed drivetrain ensures reliable performance for tackling varying terrain
  • Shimano Deore mechanical disc brakes use CenterLock design for enhanced performance and low profile
  • Flashy double-walled Weinmann rims are decked out with the lightweight, 60TPI WTB Nano Race tires for fast-rolling performance
  • WTB Pure V Race saddle features a leather cover for comfort and durability

Submitted by jon

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    2013 model corrects older deficiencies, Sram X7 2x10, now better air forks, hydraulic brakes, REI warranty

Weaknesses:    boring B&W paint job

Bottom Line:
I have the 2013 model, which has much better components. Newer, better front forks, SR Suntour Raidon-LO Air 29, 100mm of travel with lockout (get good review at mbr), weight is now only 28.5 lbs., newer 2x10 Sram X7 derailleur set (I like it much better than 3x9 or 10). Tektro Auriga Pro Hydraulic Disc are working very well for me, although MTR only gives them a 2.5 rating. Price is now $1000 list, but really $800 to $900 with the usual REI discounts or rebates. I couldn't find a better bike with equivalent grade components and weight for the price. Overall gets very good reviews by users.

Favorite Trail:   Las Vegas, Mt Charleston single track

Submitted by ducksrunner a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great at climbing, very comfortable on the road, high top speed...just a joy to ride.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a tad heavy..

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'2", 210 pounds. I have the XL (sizing is Medium, Large, XL) and love it. I've done downhill and cyclocross and it handles great. Finally have a bike that's great for trails but can also cruise on the road. I'm convinced that I couldn't find a better value for the price (reduced from $900 to $649). I'm new to MTBing and couldn't be more happy with the 29 inch wheels

Favorite Trail:   Bryce Creek

Purchased At:   REI, Eugene

Submitted by weasel888 a Weekend Warrior from big flats, ny

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    components

Weaknesses:    pedals

Bottom Line:
everyone cries about the fork and weight and this and that. THEN WHY DID YOU BUY IT? i think the set up is great!!! and if you think it is too heavy maybe you should ride more fatties... as well as how much the folk moves.... uhm just a thought ADJUST IT!!! no bs here just tired of all he crying. the Ponderosa is well worth its WEIGHT in gold... dont listen to all these cry babies about the weight and fork. it is a solid ride and well worth the money...

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Similar Products Used:   IBEX, Specialized

Bike Setup:   stocl other than pedals and upgraded brakes

Submitted by woopya a Weekend Warrior from Pinckney,Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    Big Tires and Rims take up all the small bumps my Full Suspension Specialized Used to. This bike handles better than anything I've ridden. Shifters, Derailers,Crank and Brakes are Good enough and the Handlebars and stem are decent.

Weaknesses:    The Fork Will Be my 1st Upgrade By next year maybe. I'm used to at least a Tora sl dual air fork. Platform Pedals are useless because your foot will hit the front tire.

Bottom Line:
So Far, I think this bike is perfect for me. I only have a couple of good rides on it. It actually handles Better than My full Susp Bike.The 1st thing to replace should be your pedals, Next would be the Fork. Dont forget to download google MyTracks on your Droid to track your exact progress on the trail as well as Miles,MPH average ETC.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake State Park

Purchased At:   R.E.I.

Similar Products Used:   Other Hardtails and Specialized XC Comp FSR.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now except I Added Eggbeaters, Lock-On Grips and a Lizardskin Chainstay Protector.

Submitted by eraser535 a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    Handles great and rolls over obstacles like nothing else. Solid bike, BB7 brakes, x7 derailleurs, great components for price range.

Weaknesses:    Weight could be lighter

Bottom Line:
Great components for its price range and handles great. I would recommend it as a good entry -mid level hardtail 29er.
Excellent value for money and can't beat REI guarantee.

Similar Products Used:   Old Schwinn

Submitted by mg a Weekend Warrior from sacramento

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls over obstacles. great climbing in rock gardens. huge footprint/doesn't sink in soft stuff.

Weaknesses:    heavy/ fork flexes quite a bit.

Bottom Line:
Pretty sweet. would be nice if it was lighter and stiffer but for the price it was the best I found.

Favorite Trail:   annadel, burma