Norco Nitro 9 29er Hardtail

4.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Meet the perfect all-around hardtail: cross country heritage mixed with a versatile soul. With a tapered head tube and double-butted aluminum frames, the NITRO series is lightweight, strong and responsive. Enter a weekend race, rip trails with friends or just go for a spin — wherever and whatever you ride, the NITRO is just right. Intended Use: XC racing, trail riding.

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2014

Strengths:    Great stand over clearance, great fork and brakes

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
Decided to buy my first 29 er, at first I was under whelmed with the ride of this bike, felt like I was working harder then I had too. Took the bike in and discovered the rear wheel was broken after some pretty light riding. After being accused by Bikes and Beyond in Winnipeg MB of crashing the bike, I paid for and replaced the back tire. After that, the bike came to life, climbs very well, super fast beautiful bicycle. I don't know if the wheels are just crap, or this bike came defected, but once I put a good tire on, the bike is awesome!

Submitted by norco29er a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2014

Strengths:    Fast bike Good hole shot
Quiet and very smooth
Smooth shifting nice shifters that engage awesome
Handles sweet
Climbs hills with ease
Nice looking bike
Wicked braking power

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
Had the bike put a couple of times and I'm sooooo imprest by this bike it just puts a smile on my face thinking about it.l previously owned a 96 ht Gary fisher and that bike served well but I have to say this norco bike hands down blows that one out of the water I know it's old technology but this norco is so quick and light I just love it.l many use the bike for trails and dykes aswell as street and it's hands down an excellent bike for these conditions.l also bought bike on sale and paid 1100 taxes in so I got a good deal. All in all if your looking for a well rounded bike you can race at the track or ride trails or commute on the street this is the bike for you. You will be happy happy happy!!!

Duration Product Used:   Couple days

Purchased At:   Caps Langley

Similar Products Used:   96 ht Gary fisher tequila
2006 ht kona

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Lucas

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2013

Strengths:    Great components in the price range
Fast
Climbs really well
Handles well
Looks great

Weaknesses:    Paint quality not the best
Cheap cable clips on frame
Not great going downhill

Bottom Line:
I wanted a hardtail for financial reasons after riding an old all mountain bike.
After a lot of research I found a 2012 Nitro 9.1 for a great deal.
I love the components package for the price range. Norco really did a good job on spending money were it was needed and cutting back in the right places to keep costs down.
The paint is a bit cheap and the cable clips started breaking after the second ride but thats a quick fix.
The bike is really light and is very fast. Climbing has been so easy in my rocky trails I almost feel like im cheating.
Its a bit sketchy going downhill but thats not what this bike is for.
So far I couldnt be happier with my choice. It's not perfect but a bike in this price range never will be.

Submitted by Corey P a Mountaineer

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Third Norco Bike I have owned, I still use my Shore 1 for the heavy drops, shore, and shuttle runs, but got the Nitro niner for cross country riding and commuting. This bike is well setup out of the box and has been a loyal steed up at hartland park for years now. The WTB wheelset is a good wheelset, cheap, but good overall. I have sheared the cassette off the hub and ruined the rear wheel, but I am 250 lbs and ride pretty hard and take it off smaller drops and through some pretty rocky descents. I will upgrade to a stronger wheelset and I have put on a lighter bar, seatpost, and handgrips. This bike climbs like a goat and is almost as fast as the shore on the downhills, once you get used to the taller hoops and trust that they will glide over roots and rocks, the bike opens up to be really stable at speed, nimble in the corners, and well suited for all endurance or all mountain riding.
I would definitely recommend this bike for a person who wants a bike to handle most things in a budget package, the money you save can be used to upgrade as things break (in this sport they always do) I am putting Easton Haven 29's on in a month, will review those later.

Purchased At:   Brentwood Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Haro Mary
Redline 29 singlespeed

Submitted by firedudecndn a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, MB canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Strengths:    After having ridden this bike for a full season and raced on it, I can say that I've broken personal best record times at our local race course. I've built up a second set of wheels and changed the drive train twice. I like the stability on high speed turns on flowy trail and have been amazed at how much you can recover from, rear wheel root slide outs, hitting other rider's back wheels and pedal hits on the ground and yet to go down from one of these

Weaknesses:    Paint. Easy to chip and scratch

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that it is no longer my bike that is holding me back from being faster. Now it's just me and genetics...
Instead of buying a new bike this year I'll be spending some money on some even lighter wheels and other weight savers...

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah Hey

Purchased At:   body driven sports

Similar Products Used:   specialized epic comp disc
giant atx 840

Bike Setup:   stock except for pedals( time atacs), cut down the bar by 1 1/2 inches for clearing in tight trees, wtb rims on deore hubs (race wheels), vulpine semi slick tires converting to stans as soon as my kit arrives,
Tried a SRAM drive train and went back to shimano, added a sexy fender for rainy days

Submitted by Colin a Cross Country Rider from Williams Lake

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    Brakes, frame, forks, wheels...it's all good for the price.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is not very comfy....maybe I'm a different shape to the saddle :-)

Bottom Line:
Fantastic value for money...good quality components for the money. You'd have to spend a lot more to get anything much better. For cross country riding it's fabulous. I've read reports that the WTB wheels aren't particularly strong but I'm guessing that only applies if you're trying to use this cross country machine for downhill racing or jumps etc.
I've done a few downhill runs (went round the jumps) in Williams Lake West syde with no problems. Nitro Niner is super stable, climbs well, has no obvious limitation to handling due to the bigger wheels....I'd say it's steering is just a quick as a good hardtail 26er. In fact I'd say it makes a mockery of most of the arguments against 29ers. All in all I'm very pleased indeed with my Nitro Niner.
The only thing I may change in the future is the saddle although I am finding that it feels very different with slight adjustments to position and angle. I may yet find a position/angle where it's comfy!

Purchased At:   Northern cycle and s

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Jumper 29er and Jamis Dakota 20er.

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Johnnie B a Racer from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    This is my update on the bike since I've put 500 kms on it.
I love it. For the same amount of effort, I am going faster.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily. It's a little light in the back,

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike for a taller rider. Responsive and once you get it going, it's really going.
I would definately buy another bike like this.

Favorite Trail:   Maah daah Hey

Purchased At:   Body Driven Sports

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new grips and different pedals

Submitted by Johnnie B a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    Size, rolling ability

Weaknesses:    Color

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden this bike one time, along the hard pack cross country ski trails and up some gravel road hills for some early season (march) training.
First thing I thought when I got on this bike was "finally a bike that fits"
This bike felt great, I traded bikes with my buddy for a couple of miles (he's riding a 26er) and immediately I knew I had made the right decision going 29er.
I'll write more when I have some more miles on it but so far, so good.

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah hey

Purchased At:   Body Driven Sports

Similar Products Used:   All my other bikes are 26ers

Bike Setup:   Stock except for pedals

Submitted by wade wilson a Cross Country Rider from Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Rolls over and thru things and places that my old bike would never handle...very smooth shifting...strong frame...22 inch frame and big wheels great for taller riders.

Weaknesses:    I broke a chain, but that may have been more my fault for bogging down on a rocky hill, getting off the seat and putting 200 pounds plus into the pedal! The shift indicator for the rear gears doesn't work

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. Norco is Canadian and that is a big plus with me. The 29 inch wheels and large frame allows me to cruise at higher speeds on rail trails, the street and woods roads...and...on rougher terrain the big wheels are great because they roll over deadfall trees, ruts, rocks and other stuff easily. This bike also goes thru mud and water very nicely and it is a great hill climber. Trail loops that normally took me 2 hours are now taking about an hour and a half. The bike is smooth and the front shock is excellent, especially since you can reach down and disengage it during hill climbs. This bike is very efficient and seems to maximize the effort/energy you put to the pedal. Great components and tyres too. I ride more than ever because I really enjoy this bike...haven't been on my GIANT road bike since I purchased the NORCO Nitro Niner! This is a great bike for taller riders, it costs more than some bikes, but it is well worth the extra $. I would recommend this to people who are fairly serious riders....this bike has gotten me off the beaten path and exploring single-tracks and other more difficult terrain. I am in my 50's and this bike has given me a sense of freedom that I had forgotten about...its fun coming home covered in mud and dirt like i used to do 30 years ago!

Favorite Trail:   University of New Brunswick woodlot

Purchased At:   Savage's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I had a 1982 mtn bike that was like driving a farm tractor and weighed a ton.

Bike Setup:   During a visit to Quebec I had my bike adjusted to fit me better and it made a big difference. I had the seat too high before.

Norco Nitro 9.2 2013

Anyone have this bike? Or no if its worth the price? ($1300) Weight? Thanks!Read More »