Norco Jubei 2 29er Hardtail

• Shimano 27speed drivetrain w/ SLX rear derailleur

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by 14Stone a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff Frame
    Feels Bottom Heavy
    Lots of Tire Clearance
    Feels Aggressive and secure even for a bigger rider.
    Single track monster.
    Even with gunked up chains and gears, the bike experiences NO chain slip.

Weaknesses:    Stock Brakes are underpowered, fade happens fast, and leads to a lot of over breaking in more dangerous areas, slowing down your overall ride.

Suntour Forks claim 80mm of travel. Preload switch already broken after 1 turn. Seem excessively stiff even with preload set properly.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike just to get into fitness, which ultimately lead to me being confident enough to join some XC circuits. After some heavier rides up and above just running around on double track, it was starting to get apparent where the Jubei II starts to fall short because you start to push the limits. Its not confidence inspiring once you start that.

The stock brakes were swapped out for a 4 piston caliper, and big fatty 203mms. The stopping power is there now, and the bike feels almost new again. But the upgrade is costly, and unfortunate.

The Suntour fork set that Norco put on its Jubei II model started off great but became extremely stiff now. They're the next part to get swapped out on my list for a set of Rock Shocks, or Fox upgrades pending I stick with the Norco for the 2011 season.

Norco should look at juicing up the brakes to larger disc's on their 29ers. Some people say smaller brakes worked well for them but I strongly suggest bigger brake packages on all their 29er products in 2011.

If you're looking for something you can get out on some trails with. The Jubei II, or even III will get you out there and thumping trail immediately. If you're looking for something with a more XC flavor, jump to the Jubei I for a much better parts load out off the bat, but be prepared to move to a 203mm disc as it still uses the smaller disc for its Elixers.

Look at it this way. You're paying a good amount of money for a good frame with intro parts. If I knew what I know now, I'd probably buy something else, as the upgrades in the future are only going to end up costing more then the bike itself.

Favorite Trail:   Pretty much all of Albion

Purchased At:   Bay Cycle

Similar Products Used:   First 29er.

Bike Setup:   2010
    Upgrades: Kenda Nevegals, Avid Code 5 w/ 203mm Disc Brake

'09 Kona Cinder Cone vs. '10 Norco Jubei 2 (29er)

Hello all, This is my first post. My LBS has two hardtails I'm considering, both on sale for $799 (which is the top end of my $600-800 budget range): 1) '09 Kona Cinder Cone (marked down from $949) 2) '10 Norco Jubei 2 (29er) (marked down from $1350) I can post a list of components for ... Read More »

Jubei 2 vs 29er 4

Hey Guys, New to the forum and have been doing a bit of looking around. I'm in the market for a bike and from the sounds of it I want a 29er. I'll be honest I didn't even know what a 29er was two weeks ago. But from all the research and calling around it sounds like that's the way to go for ... Read More »