Niner Bikes S.I.R. 9 29er Hardtail

4.8/5 (65 Reviews)

The S.I.R. 9 is the most versatile bike in the Niner stable, fusing the ?steel is real? feel of a new Reynolds 853 DZB tubeset with the ability to run the frame as either a geared bike or single speed with Niner?s ultra-light eccentric bottom bracket. New BIO-CENTRIC II BOTTOM BRACKET SYSTEM! The Niner Bio-Centric II makes adjustments easy across a wide range of gears and eliminates the need for adjustable dropouts, giving the cleanest possible solution for singlespeed use. No bolt on hubs, no chain tensioners cluttering your ride, no brake adjustments with gear changes. While tubing upgrades are the focus of this new design, Niner has not forgotten the details. The new the S.I.R. 9 uses 142x12mm spacing with an included Maxle for added rear-end torsional stiffness, removable downtube cable guides, post mount brake bosses between the chain and seatstay for braking precision and, of course, the Niner headbadge and two great color options for that finishing touch. The S.I.R. 9 is truly a do-everything frame. Run it single speed at your local race, then convert it to a full gear set to do the Trans-Alp. Want a 1 x 10? No problem. Or, if you?re just not sure, the S.I.R. 9 will give you the option of trying it all. Features: -Sizes: S, M, L, XL -Available Colors: Hot Tamale and Arctic White -Custom-bent double-butted Reynolds 853 DZB downtube. -44mm Reynolds 631 head tube allows use of tapered or 1?1/8? forks. -Compatible with a rigid or 80 - 100mm travel suspension forks. -Niner Bio-Centric II Bottom bracket system and removable downtube cable stops for clean singlespeed or geared setup. -44mm head tube compatible with tapered steerer forks. -Rear Hub Spacing: 142mm x 12mm (Maxle axle included with frame) -Up to 2.4" rear tire clearance. Please note that if you are interested in a single speed specific build, please contact the Wrench Science Niner specialist.

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2014

Strengths:    Amazing ride for a hardtail, feels smoother than my old Ti Lynskey for less than half the price of TI. Climbs very well, Q15 rear axle makes it stiff, big headtube makes it track very well, love the screaming yellow color, handles the downhills with the best of them - maybe the best hardtail.

Weaknesses:    New bottom bracket with 2 lock bolts has to be torqued often or locktightened. Rear brake is a pain to adjust. Carbon fork that came on bike was not good at all in rough stuff or even moderate bumps - replaced it with Rock Shox Sid XX and made the bike really shine.

Bottom Line:
Got this 2014 model in singlespeed - full rigid and ditched the carbon fork after a handful of mtb rides - too harsh for my 48 year old hands. Still debating on making it a 1x10 to add versatility. With the Sid fork its the best hardtail that I have ever ridden, the 853 tubes really smooth out the ride Can see why this bike is so popular with an almost cult like following. Great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Sun Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S Works, Lynskey Ridgline,

Bike Setup:   Large frame - I am 6' and it fits perfect, singlespeed, Rock Shox Sid 100 mm fork, Racing Ralph tires, Stans no tube rims and hubs - very nice wheels. Elixer 5 brakes, and very nice Seven Ti handlebars - good flex for rigid carbon fork if you are running rigid.

Submitted by Brown Tree Snake a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    Ride quality very similar to titanium but at a fraction of the cost. The overall finished product is good and could use a more durable finish. The geometry fit me perfect and I really haven't even begun to tweak my position.

Weaknesses:    The finish of the frame isn't bad and I know it's a mountain bike so it'll see it's fair share of rock dings and such but after my first ride there were small chips in the finish. Same thing happened on my Niner Air.

Bottom Line:
Insanely agile and super comfortable but a little on the heavy side. This bike handles as good as any of my other 29ers if not up there with the best.

Favorite Trail:   My Backyard

Similar Products Used:   Lynskey Pro 29, Trek Superfly Elite, Niner Air 9 and a Trek Rig

Bike Setup:   SRAM XO drivetrain, Fox Float 32 RLC, Bontrager RXL wheels, Conti Race King tires, Formula R1 brakes, King headset, ESI grips, Bontrager RXL stem, seat post, bar and Affinity road saddle.

Submitted by S.O.B. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    This is not your papa's steel. This frame is relatively light for a steel frame @ ~4.5lbs (2042g). Love the clean lines of a steel framed bike.

Weaknesses:    Some might say the ebb, but I prefer this to sliders. This particular frame is set up with gears, so the ebb is a non-issue. No weakness that I can come up with and I have had this bike for almost a year now.

Bottom Line:
I always use to joke, Steel is real...real heavy! Not so much the case with the SIR 9.
Purchased this bike as a backup/wife's bike...built up geared (1x9) to be used by me on occasion in place of my lighter (stiffer) Scandium One 9. I was impressed that the frame was only ~1.2 lb (or ~540grams) more...what was amazing is how it felt on the trail. I took it to a familiar trail, very rooty, rocky, bumpy...it was noticably smoother, and with the components almost identical to the One 9, it was only ~2lbs heavier. Did I notice the weight? Sure I did, when picking it up to place on the car rack, I did not feel it on the trail...I thought maybe I did on the climbs, but that could be the placebo affect of knowing you are riding a bike 2lbs heavier than your normal ride. Love the bike and will certainly use it in the future where a geared bike makes more sense (like trails with steep, grainy climbs)...other than that, it will serve as my wife's main ride (glad we ride the same size bike). :)

Favorite Trail:   286 (NC) Auburn SRA

Purchased At:   Back Alley Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Misfit Dissent, Niner One 9

Bike Setup:   Stans, Thomson, Schwalbe, Avid, XT, Reba...

Submitted by spencerfrater1 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, response, enjoyment

Weaknesses:    Price and paintwork

Bottom Line:
This is my favourite frame so far. Running it singlespeed rigid at the moment, but have used a Reba fork on it as well. It is springy so you don't really need suspension, whips around singletrack and is responsive into turns. I know people have had problems with the EBB but I only experienced this on the first few rides. Then I tightened the EBB bolt more than recommended (being careful) and I have not had a problem since. Running the EBB in the 5-o'clock position on the drive side.
The only reason it loses a chili overall is on the price and paint job. It is an expensive frame here in the UK at £869 ($1400). The paint seems to wear away very quickly - it is soft and thin. But these are small factors when you have in your posession one of the best steel frames there is! No regrets in buying it.
Recommended to anyone serious about biking who will appreciate a top quality steel 29er frame.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno

Similar Products Used:   Rock Lobster steel frame

Bike Setup:   Niner SIR9 frame; rigid with Niner carbon fork; SS with RaceFace cranks / Surly cog; NoTubes Crest on Hope pro 2 Evo running tubeless. Now with Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Hutchinson Toro

Submitted by rob1208lv a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    strong, a work of art, easy to change from gears to SS

Weaknesses:    kind of heavy (but its steel), EBB can be a pain sometimes, little pricey

Bottom Line:
I currently have mine set up SS. After the first ride my EEB came loose, I followed all the recommended install instructions and haven't had a problem sense. I was riding a Jabberwocky prior, that bike was stable, but the SIR9 is easier to throw around on switchbacks and the steel feels more plush, and nimble, Plus I could never run gears on my Jabber for bike packing. I also Had a Niner AIR9 that bike was fast, but it bounced me around all over the place, I prefer the Steel. The Niners Geo seems to fit me the best.

Favorite Trail:   goosberry mesa

Purchased At:   Las Vegas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Vassago JabberWocky, Niner EMD, Niner AIR9

Bike Setup:   Single speed fully rigid carbon fork and seat post

Submitted by Duncan a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge UK

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    A mile eater, the most comfortable, most versatile frame I have ever owned. All day comfort, EBB, spot on Niner geometry, great cockpit position, nice to look at, gives a fluidity of riding joy (ahem).

Weaknesses:    EBB can be a pain, paint chips easily (seems common with steel MTBs)

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, I really love this bike. I have done more 80-120 mile off road rides on this bike than any I have owned before. Due to carpel tunnel wrist problems I never thought I would be able to ride a ridged bike ever again & have not for the last 15 years....... until this frame, fork & the 29er wheels. It's not a race bike, it does flex a bit but that is why it is so nice to ride at other times. I also have an 11 speed Alfine hub, flow rim & dt rev spokes I sometimes use.... takes twenty minutes to swap it over. I have just done a three day mini epic across some rocky & some smooth hills carrying my gear & this bike just lapped it up giving superb grip on climbs & controllable speedy down hills. I also have an Air Nine carbon which with the tapered ridged forks is outrageously fast & has xc handling I have never experienced before (better than the sir), But........... if I had to get rid of one, it would be the Air carbon.
If you could only buy one bike....... buy this & book a respray for four years time !!

Favorite Trail:   Anything flowing

Purchased At:   Chevin Cycles, Otley

Similar Products Used:   Kona unit 2-9, Niner Air Carbon, Salsa Mariachi, Spesh rock hopper 29, Omega TI custom 29er

Bike Setup:   Medium root beer frame, ridged niner carbon forks (3k), ck rasta headset, hope front hub, crest rim, dt Revs & XTR 951 skewer. Rear wheel, CK ss hub, flow rim, dt revs, funn bolts, red Magura marta sl 160 front & rear, Hope BB, 2001 XTR 960 crankset (which was trimmed by myself with the aid of a junior hacksaw, electric file, emery cloth & a bottle of wine. Trimmed Salsa 25.4 pro moto carbon flat bars, Upside down 90mm x 7 degree ? carbon/alloy matrix stem, Ergon GX2 grips with bar ends, EC90 post, ti SDG formula fxr saddle

Submitted by Niner Rider a Weekend Warrior from Holland

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable, Light for steel, SingleSpeed or Geared option.

Weaknesses:    Top Tube Frame Gusset is prone to rust prematurely.

Bottom Line:
Well, the user name says it all. I fell in love with this bike the first time I demo'ed one. It was set up as a Single Speed. I ended up ordering a Godzilla Green Medium frame and all the components to build a great rider/racer. I've switched back and forth between SS an geared quite a bit. So much so that I have two rear wheels built up for an easy swap. Currently it is running a 1x9 set up with X9 Twisty. Love the bike. Very fast and comfortable. Not as comfy as the Pugsley, but nothing is really.

Now for the bad. I have recently noticed a major design flaw with the way Niner installs the top tube gusset. It is not welded all the way around. (Or sealed). They rely on the paint to create the seal. But because this is where two radius-ed components meet (top tube and gusset) the paint does not always fill the gap between them. My frame has rust along the back edge of the gusset and you can begin to see bubbling about 1/4 inch from the edge. After I noticed my rust issue, I looked a a new bike in the showroom and sure enough, there was a visible gap between the gusset and the top tube where the paint left a "void". In the course of about 2 years, moisture has found its way into this void and started to rust the gusset significantly. The bike has never seen rain and is always stored inside. My thoughts on potential causes of moisture in this area would be sweat. Obviously a great deal of sweat finds it way to this area as it is directly below your head! When I purchased the bike I had it completely frame saved, but obviously this area was not reached as it is outside of the top tube.

I would recommend anyone who has a SIR 9 to keep an eye on this area. If you have a paint void, fill it now. If you have rust already developing, see if you can sand just the edge and apply paint/sealer, etc. If you have as bad of an issue as my gusset, well it may be pricey to fix. Since it is a major structural part of the frame, I am keeping a close eye on it.

I brought this to the attention of Niner (4/2/12 via the warranty e-mail), and have yet to hear their response. I know it has only been a day, but I will update the review once I hear their response. This is a good way to test their responsiveness to customer/product issues!

Favorite Trail:   Luton Park

Purchased At:   Velo City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Karate Monkey, Pugsley, Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Where would I even begin! Lots of goodies.

Submitted by Drbbt a Cross Country Rider from Rome, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2012

Strengths:    The 853 steel ride is very compliant, yet stiff enough to be a good climber. Sloping top tube gives a good amount of standover. The bike is flickable and a joy to ride. I have mine set up a singlespeed with the Niner carbon fork and I can't imagine running gears on this bike. I had some reservations about the ebb, but have had no issues thus far.

Weaknesses:    Only weakness that I have encountered came when I was attempting to run a flat bar. The brake levers would hit the frame if turned far enough, which is likely to happen in a crash. This was easily remedied by switching over to a lo-rise riser bar, which is more comfortable anyway.

Bottom Line:
A great bike, especially for the steel aficionado. As a singlespeed, this bike has everything you could want. Niner's eccentric bottom bracket design is user friendly and does not slip. The quality of the welds and paint are unmatched, in my opinion. The frame is on par with independent builders for half of the price. The bike may very well make a great geared bike with a squishy fork, but I can't speak to that. You could find a lighter setup, if that is your number one concern. Overall, and especially as a singlespeed, this is a superior frame. I can also endorse the Niner carbon fork. Stiff, but tracks well. A good match for the steel frame.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Nzumbi, Soma Groove, Surly Karate Monkey

Bike Setup:   Kermit green Sir 9 with nude Niner carbon fork. Hope SS hubs on Stans Flow rims. Nothing fancy, but lots-o-fun.

Submitted by FireSpitter a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Weaknesses:    Weight (I'm nit picking because I'm a weight weenie)

Bottom Line:
I was very hesitant about buying the Niner SIR. Firstly, Niner frames cost a premium. Secondly, I've been a weight weenie for a very long time. Carbon frames are too fragile for me, steel frames are URGHHH HEAVY and Reynold's 953 frames are only affordable to me in my dreams. I finally bit the bullet and took a blind leap of faith. The ride quality is unmatched (Even my riding buddy on his Ti frame commented that he loved my bike's ride!), the geometry with Niner's carbon fork made it a match in heaven (Seriously, these 2 MUST be together to feel the magic). No regrets. Would probably buy another Niner but I still feel that their non R853 frames are overpriced. The SIR is a steel steal. Buy one before they up the prices on this one.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere my bike may go

Similar Products Used:   Plenty

Bike Setup:   2 X 9 (40/28 w road cassette), Dura Ace 7900 RD, XTR 970 shifters & FD, front wheel - Extralite/sapim superspokes/crest, rear wheel - White Industries/Pillar/Crest

Submitted by cch317 a Racer from Tampa, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Build quaility, geometry, paint and color choices, EBB system, Niner support

Weaknesses:    Paint durability

Bottom Line:
This is by far the funnest bike to ride I have ever owned. It is a ridged steel single speed, so its not the fastest, but its pretty close. I have owned and raced it for the last year. During that time I have gone back and forth on running a suspension fork and the ridged. The recent addition of ergon grips has made the ridged fork much more enjoyable, so its going to stay ridged for the forseeable future. The ebb design and set up took some learning, but i pretty much have it on cruise control now and can change out gearing pretty quickly. With a 32t front im able to use the same chain for a 16t, 18t, and 20t rear. The ebb makes it possible to accommodate a wide range of gears with out ever removing the chain. With keeping an eye on weight, i was able to build my small to about 22lbs. Thats not to shaby for a steel frame. The frame is beautiful, tight welds and rich paint. My only grip is the paint chips way to easy. Niner must know this since they ship the frame with a small bottle of touch-up paint. Problem is the touch-up paint dosen't match all that well. Would love to see this frame in some of the new anodized colors since they are said to be much more durable. Bottom line is you cant go wrong with this bike. Run it as a ridged single speed one day, then a geared, front suspension racer the next. The bike can pretty much do it all.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Treefort bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specalized stumpjumper comp HT, Specalized epic comp, Specalized stumpjumper FRS, GT 29r pro, Haro mary SS

Bike Setup:   Single speed, matching ridged niner steel fork, carbon bars and steam, xt brakes, a-classic wheels and hubs, thompson seat post, stylo oct cranks, egg beater ss pedals, 2.25 rocket ron tires.

Submitted by dustyvelo a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2012

Strengths:    Supple ride
Excellent handling

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
I love this bike - it's that simple. After riding the fantastic GF Rig SS for a year, I realized that my sensative knees (due to two cartilage surgeries) started to complain to me after about 20 miles of hard riding. As such, it was time to do two things; add some gears and seek more frame compliance. That, and because I can't own multiple bikes, I wanted a good all-arounder that also supported my SS jones. For me, the obvious choice was a SIR9. I had never ridden one, but knoew many locals with various Niner set ups.

Upon delivery, the frame was stunning. I've read some complaints about Niner paint jobs, but mine was excellent. I did get a price break because of the color - Solid Gold - but I will tell you with all the black bits on the bike it looks great. Further, after a solid year of riding the scratches I have are the same as I have had on any bike.

Where I live in MD, we have access to a huge cross section of trails that include everything from mild to wild - MD, VA and PA. The local club I belong to helps to maintain over 30 - and that's not even all of them! Anyway, suffice it to say, this bike has seen it all.

My set up is not weight-weenie, but is not bad. Before I swapped wheels and went tubless, the bike was 27lbs. My guess now is closer to 25, but I have not weighed it yet. When I go to lighter tires in the spring it will be even better....and I may try a rigid fork for a while too! yes, I use heavy brakes, but I bever have to bleed them, burp them or whatever else the ol' hydro's require.

The compact geometry of this frame allows for very quick handling - but not sketchy. It's rock solid in my book. At 5'-10", the medium frame is just right for me. The compliance is just right - not real noticable on hard sprints, but in rock gardens it gives me just the right amount of flex to help manipulate and pop the bike around. The climbing aspect has been great too. We all know or hear that 29er's climb well. Just know this bike confirms the claims. Running only a single 32T ring up front, I often wonder what insane climbs I could ease into should I add a 22 to the mix and explore the 2x!

Oh - one quick mention before closing..... the eccentric bottom bracket. Absolutely NO problems. In the 1x set up, it's set it and forget it, but know that this bike has seen miles of stream crossings, dirt and dust and it has never been a problem. I believe that Niner has the whole BB thing spot on.

That said, buy this bike with confidence. As far as steel frames go, it's priced right in the middle of many excellent options out there. Make this your choice or the MCR version and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Ride on.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many to List

Purchased At:   eBay Seller

Similar Products Used:   Fisher aluminum frames
Kona test rides

Bike Setup:   Fox fork - 80mm, Stan's Crest front & Arch rear, 2.35" Schwalbe Nobby Nics, Thomson cockpit, 1x9 set up with Spot crank and SRAM X9 rear der., Avid BB7's.

Submitted by 2lits a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim,CA.

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    surprisingly comfortable for an HT frame,EBB, steel frame,

Bottom Line:
honestly I don't want to ride my Intense Spider 29'er(selling her soon). I love the handling and I ride a lot of technical single track.

Favorite Trail:   El Moro

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper 29 HT

Bike Setup:   SS, Reba race fork.

Submitted by megalops a Weekend Warrior from South Florida

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2011

Strengths:    Fantastic geometry. Smooths out roots and rocks something serious. Lightweight for Steel frame. EBB and changeable dropouts to convert to geared or SS. Rides like a dream!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
After getting beatup on my hardtail 26" Kona Cinder Cone, I was ready to move up to a full suspension bike for our rocky, rooty singletrack courses in south Florida. I then took my friend's Diamondback Overdrive 29er for a lap (while drinking the Kool Aid) and realized I too needed to upgrade to a 29er.

I got a good deal on the frame and rigid fork, so I built the bike with the rigid while I save my money for a squishy fork. This bike rides so nice with a rigid fork, I have no reason to upgrade anytime soon. It rides way smoother than my 26" hardtail did. I can only imagine how smooth it would be with a Fox on the front.

Anyone looking for an awesome Hardtail or Rigid 29er need not look farther than the Niner SIR!

Favorite Trail:   Which ever one I'm on

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Overdrive is the only other 29er I've ridden.

Bike Setup:   Rigid Niner fork. 1 x 10 Shimano XT.

Submitted by crassh a Cross Country Rider from NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Ride feel. Don't believe all the hype that this is like a full suspension ride - it certainly is not. However- being realistic, the ride quality is certainly smooth as can be for a hard tail. Coming from riding fisher and bianchi aluminum 29ers and 26ers, this is a TREMENDOUS upgrade in ride quality. Definitely leaves me less fatigued.

Weaknesses:    BB design is okay. I know there are alot of complaints about it out there, but there are also many of us who if we take the time to set it up right the first time and maintain regularly - it works like a charm. It doesn't take a whole lot of grit/dirt to start some slippage - if you notice slippage - pull it apart, clean throughly with rubbing alcohol and reassemble - it will then work as advertised

Bottom Line:
Super smooth steel frame with great all around geometry for all day adventure. If you are looking for the racing rocket - look elsewhere.