Niner Bikes S.I.R. 9 29er Hardtail

4.75/5 (68 Reviews)

• Custom engineered steel tubeset for ideal function and ride quality
  • Custom bent double-butted Reynolds 853 DZB down tube
  • 44mm Reynolds 631 head tube allows use of tapered or 1-1/8” forks
  • Niner BioCentric II Bottom bracket system and removable down tube cable stops allows clean singlespeed or geared setup
  • 142x12 rear Maxle
  • Post mount brake bosses between seat stay and chainstay
  • Investment cast stay bridges and dropouts

Submitted by S.O.B. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    This is not your papa's steel. This frame is relatively light for a steel frame @ ~4.5lbs (2042g). Love the clean lines of a steel framed bike.

Weaknesses:    Some might say the ebb, but I prefer this to sliders. This particular frame is set up with gears, so the ebb is a non-issue. No weakness that I can come up with and I have had this bike for almost a year now.

Bottom Line:
I always use to joke, Steel is real...real heavy! Not so much the case with the SIR 9.
Purchased this bike as a backup/wife's bike...built up geared (1x9) to be used by me on occasion in place of my lighter (stiffer) Scandium One 9. I was impressed that the frame was only ~1.2 lb (or ~540grams) more...what was amazing is how it felt on the trail. I took it to a familiar trail, very rooty, rocky, was noticably smoother, and with the components almost identical to the One 9, it was only ~2lbs heavier. Did I notice the weight? Sure I did, when picking it up to place on the car rack, I did not feel it on the trail...I thought maybe I did on the climbs, but that could be the placebo affect of knowing you are riding a bike 2lbs heavier than your normal ride. Love the bike and will certainly use it in the future where a geared bike makes more sense (like trails with steep, grainy climbs)...other than that, it will serve as my wife's main ride (glad we ride the same size bike). :)

Favorite Trail:   286 (NC) Auburn SRA