Niner Bikes One 9 29er Hardtail

4.36/5 (42 Reviews)

The ONE 9 is Niner's light-as-a-feather singlespeed for racing and epic XC rides that will take you back to your childhood glee of being at one with the bike and nothing else to worry about. You will find hydroformd tubing throughout this frame, which is very similar to the construction of it's brother the AIR 9. New BIO-CENTRIC II BOTTOM BRACKET SYSTEM! The Niner Bio-Centric II makes adjustments easy across a wide range of gears and eliminates the need for adjustable dropouts, giving the cleanest possible solution for singlespeed use. No bolt on hubs, no chain tensioners cluttering your ride, no brake adjustments with gear changes. Features: -Sizes: S, M, L, XL -Available Colors: Black Licorice, Niner Orange / Black Licorice, Niner Orange / Raw, Moondust / Black Licorice. -Custom hydroformed aluminum tubeset tuned specifically for single speed use. -Tapered head tube with FSA sealed cartridge bearing headset included 42mm top and 52mm bottom. -Compatible with a rigid or 80 - 100mm travel suspension forks. -Niner Bio-Centric II Bottom bracket system and optional gear kit (down tube guides and deraillur hanger) for geared setup. -Rear Hub Spacing: 135mm x 10mm -Up to 2.4" rear tire clearance. Please note that if you are interested in a single speed specific build, please contact the Wrench Science Niner specialist.

Submitted by Mark D'Angelo

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2014

Strengths:    I have ridden this bike hard for 2 years daly, and ultra distance and all mountain combined, 2,000 to 7,000 foot climbs and descents constantly, frame has held up no problems, this was a warranty frame from my scandium one 9 which was super fast and fun but I cracked it in four places, Niner was cool enough to warranty me like 6 months past warranty, I have no complaints,If you download the Niner biocentric ebb installation instructions and follow them you will have no problems. This is an awesome single speed frame.

Weaknesses:    Cant really come up with any.

Bottom Line:
Just a great single speed frame.

Submitted by SSOnly a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    The tapered headtube and all black color option.

Weaknesses:    EBB squeaks. Seat tube squeaks. Head tube squeaks. Rear end isn't as stiff as you would expect with aluminum.

Bottom Line:
I don't have much great to say about this frame. I really tried to like it. I've redressed the EBB countless times. I used Oatey white joint compound and carbo grib, yet it still slips and creaks. I do use it more of an all mountain environment, and long climbs out of the saddle just seem out of it's range. This was a dud year. I noticed it has been removed from their offerings for 2014. This is my last Niner. I've had 2 other.

Duration Product Used:   1 Full Season

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Air 9 Carbon
One 9 Scandium
Kona Big Unit

Submitted by SSUSA a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2013

Strengths:    Solid Frame construction. Tapered headtube.

Weaknesses:    Just ride it. Yuck.
Bio-Centric EBB.
Price.
Poor support from Niner.
Shaky, creaky ride.
Responsiveness.

Bottom Line:
What a disappointment. If you want to end your SS tunnel vision for Niner's famously awesome One9, go pick up one of these. I have struggled to love this new frame into submission, but it's just not happening. It climbs poorly. It corners poorly (the only caveat of prior models, IMO). It performs poorly. The EBB issues are not resolved, the design is boring, and my favorite singletrack seems to have had a change in heart when I arrive with this joint. What a bummer. My advice: buy a 2010, or pick another company.

Favorite Trail:   Heartbreak Ridge, Pisgah NC

Similar Products Used:   One9, One9, One9

Submitted by S.O.B. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light, does not weigh much, won't break your scale, easy to carry/push on those hike-a-bike sections.

Weaknesses:    Should be called a SIR 9 for "Scandium Is Real" -- Real Light!, but I guess the SIR 9 acronym was already taken.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to build up a lightweight XC SS machine to be used for endurance riding, but I did not want Carbon. Purchased this at a closeout price ( After testing a several bikes, this one fit the bill. I am 5'8" and went with a small as the Niner small has a top tube length similar to most manufacturers medium frames. I just love the way the geometry of this bike fits me. This frame (and my build) is light, nimble, easy to maneuver...I have ridden this bike in the mountains of NC as well as the mountains of California and though I have a geared bike (SIR 9), this is my preferred ride that sees the trials 90% of the time. Sure the ebb has creaked at times, but that only serves as a reminder that it is time to clean it up (easy to do), plus the sound of my Hope hubs drowns it out anyway. :) Love, love, love it!

Favorite Trail:   286 (NC), Auburn SRA

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Misfit Dissent, Niner SIR 9, Soul Cycles Hooligan

Bike Setup:   Niner carbon fork, Thomson stem/post, Avid Elixir5 brakes, XT cranks, HBC chainring, Chris King Cog, SRAM 971 chain, Ritchey WCS bar w/ESI Grips, carbon bar ends, Stans Arch EX Rims/Hope Hubs, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (2.35 front, 2.25 rear), Velo saddle, XTR pedals, generic bell, Cateye Strada computer, Specialized bottle holder,

Submitted by Hoolie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2012

Strengths:    5 chilis for value on sale at $450. Awesome company, and they delivered on this frame. EBB is finicky, carbo grip and fixed. This is the older round tube version and I love it. Flexy aluminum, good with 120mm fork, and a lot of thought went in to desighn of frame. The closer you look, the more detail you see. I use set up w/ Saint cranks, Downhill-ish wheelset, and XT brakes. The bike works at Downieville, what can I say.

Weaknesses:    Some EBB has issues, crapshoot. But it is fine once you figure out the solution. Carbo grip and clean twice a year for me. Paint is not the most durable, but fine. I liked my old SIR 9 as it was steel.

Bottom Line:
I love this ONE 9. Singlespeed only folks. The ride is no more harsh than SIR 9. I usually ride up a mountain for 1 to 1.5 hrs, then singletrack down pretty technical, rocky stuff. Jumps limited to 1 footers or 2 foot dropoffs, and usually 10 or 30 stairs on some rides. This bike rolls down all of it, no problem. I put some hard miles in the winter too. I use my full suspension bike for bigger jumps, but the ONE 9 goes down all the same routes.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline Napa right now

Duration Product Used:   10 mo

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Sir 9, ACCESS 29er, GT Carbon Marathon, Turner 5 Spot, Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Niner ONE 9 green, XT brakes, Chris King hubs(stainless steel driveshell) / DT spokes / WTB i23 tubeless rims, FOX RLC 120 fork, Saint Cranks, Thomson post, TITEC Stem, GEAX GATO 29 x 2.3 tubeless, OURY glue ons baby!

Submitted by inmysights

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff. Geo is spot on

Weaknesses:    You have to fiddle with the EBB set up, took a few times

Bottom Line:
Had this bike now for two seasons and it is a blast. Initially I had issues with the Ebb slipping, had to tighten it every 20 minutes. Read up on the install instructions and removed all antiseaze etc and set up with carbo grip etc. This second season no slippage and no sounds so for me this is perfect. My buddy bought the more expensive Lynsky and has a lot of issues with creaks and frame flex. Mine is the scandium frame and it doesn't flex like the Ti, very happy with this bike. My only issue would be the paint it scratches very easily.

Submitted by ep1nephr1ne

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    just a great frame overall light fast well design geometry is right

Weaknesses:    EBB NOISE, color choice wasn't great so i made my own color scheme

Bottom Line:
consider a different setup unless you have to have a SS niner

Submitted by noguru a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    This is the new 2011 version with aluminium Hydroformed tubing - Light, strong, great geometry

Bottom Line:
Great Bike. If you want a fast, great handling, light hardtail this is the bike to have.
Just a word to anyone hating the Niner Eccentric Bottom Bracket. I have 2 bikes both with the EBB and have had no problems whatsoever. As long as you install it as per the Niner instructions it works fine...no creaking, no slipping. It is really important to clean the bottom bracket shell and adapter with alcohol so there is no grease at all, none, nada, zip. You must also use the Teflon tape as per the instructions. If you are having problems it is because you are doing it wrong! Don't let your local Bike mechanic set it up, he will probably want to grease everything, it's in their DNA, bike mechanics put grease on their cereal in the mornings!!

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   I have the old Scandium framed One9 SS which I still ride. Kona Unit SS 29er, Kona Unit SS 26".

Bike Setup:   Currently setup with 1x10, fully rigid with Niner RDO fork. I do intend riding it SS and also have the option to use a suspension fork in races that need it.

Submitted by Earthpig a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Good handling.

Weaknesses:    EBB, EBB, EBB, EBB. Paint color options. Did I mention the EBB?

Bottom Line:
I really, really want to like this frame. Considering I paid full retail, I really should like this frame. I like how light it is. I like how well it handles. It fits well. When it's working rather than sitting in the shop, it's a blast to ride. Which leads to...

The Biocentric EBB. The Biocentric EBB is the big weak link in this frame. I've had all sorts of different tensioner set ups - Rennen, Singleator, sliding dropouts, horizontal track end, Bushnell EBB, and pinch bolt EBB. The Biocentric is, so far, the most unreliable, finicky, creaky, slippy, downright poorly designed SS tensioning system yet developed. All of them (except the Surly horizontal track end design paired with a 10mm rear axle bolt and tugnuts on both sides) slipped a little every now and again. However, on the first ride on the One 9 the EBB slipped so much that it had to be re-tensioned every quarter mile or so - the chain would get about a full inch or more of play every quarter mile. The second ride - ditto. I could reef on the Biocentric's 6mm bolt as hard as a 6', 180 lb human could (without stripping the bolt or overtorquing it) and the EBB would NOT stay tight. So, off to the shop (a Niner dealer) I went.

Here's what I learned - first, the Biocentric has to be set so that with the addition of force (ie, pedaling) it "self tensions" - this means that the BB must be set high and forward (in relation to the frame shell) so that pedal strokes move it down and towards the front of the bike, tensioning the chain. Imagine, if you were looking at the non-drive side, the BB would have to be set at about the 10 o'clock position. Other EBB's I had you could set the BB anywhere in the arc of the EBB shell. Strike two. I like my BB in an eccentric to be set low and forward (ie, the 7 or 8 o'clock position), so your center of gravity is lower. Setting it high and forward results in slightly different downhill handling than I would like. And, even with that setting it requires some sort of special spray/goop (Niner recommends "Carbo Grip") to keep it from slipping. After those "fixes," it was OK for about 3 rides.

Then came the CREAK. And when I say CREAK, I mean creaking, cracking and popping so loud on every pedal stroke that people a quarter mile up the trail can hear me coming. I feel like apologizing for how loud it is. Imagine - you're out on a nice, quiet ride and some arse comes up behind you on a bike that's so loud that small animals flee in fear of hearing loss and dogs start howling. Strike three. I literally can't turn my iPod up loud enough to drown it out (the classic "fix" for any bike noise) without hurting my ears.

That issue has yet to be fixed. It's at the (Niner dealer) shop right now for the installation of a new EBB. Given that the new EBB will be another Biocentric - my understanding is that no other EBB can be used in the One 9 - I'm not holding out much hope of a real fix. Even with a "fix," I've been told that the crank, EBB and BB assembly must be disassembled and fully cleaned every 6 weeks to a "couple of months" to prevent slipping and creaking. I understand that EBB designs require more than "usual" maintenance, but still.

Other than that, the 2012 color options - flat black and black and orange - are limiting (unless you're a big fan of halloween, Oregon State, Princeston, the SF Giants, or the Cincinnati Bengals, you're kinda stuck with flat black.)

So, bottom line. I don't know. I want to love this frame. I really like this frame. Absent the EBB issue, it's a fantastic frame. But, the tensioning system on a SS is an integral, key part of any SS - maybe the most important part. And with the problems (so far) with the EBB - which are driving me crazy - I can't give the frame more than 3 overall stars at this time. I'd go 2.5 stars, but that's not an option. If the EBB continues to slip and creak, this bike may collect more garage dust than trail dirt.

Favorite Trail:   A happy trail

Similar Products Used:   I've owned lots of SS frames - two Surly 1x1 frames, Gary Fisher Rig, On-one Inbred 29 and an Inbred 26, Soul Cycles Hooligan, and a Salsa El Mariachi.

Bike Setup:   2012 One 9 frame, RS Reba RLT Ti fork, X-9 hubs, Arch rims, Stylo 1.1 crankset & BB, Avid Elixir 5 brakes

Submitted by Bike&Brew a All Mountain Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2012

Strengths:    Light, cornering, climbing, Downhill (down right plush for a hardtail)

Weaknesses:    Ummm... cannot ride it everyday.

Bottom Line:
Created this as a sort of FrankenBike (combined new parts with left overs from a crashed Yeti AS-R). Thus, the great price point.

I had been on a fully rigid 2010 Fisher Rig (White Bros Carbon Fork), which I loved. This is faster and lighter even with a the SID fork (Rig = 23+, Niner = 20 Even). What amazed me most was that this bike feels like it has as much travel as the AS-R. Really!

Buy this bike if you are: a 29er SS aficionado; need an awesome SS bike to train on; or run as a 1X10 as your every All Mtn Ride.

Favorite Trail:   Lair-O-the-Bear

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Rig (EA90 XC Carbon Bars, Duster/Bontrager Wheels, Thomson Seatpost & Stem, Bontrager Cranks, White Bros Carbon Fork)

Bike Setup:   2012 One 9: Black on Black, Juicy7, Stan's Crest, Thomson Seatpost, SID RL, Selle Italia Filet, RaceFace Cranks, 9er 32-20, Time ATAC XS Pedals.

Submitted by pdriley a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2012

Strengths:    Fun, fun, fun. This bike is WAY more versatile than you would expect it to be. I thought buying a SS mtb was excessive, not sure I would use it much... like some other posts, I could not have been more wrong. It is a pure delight to ride. Tight, light, quick.

Weaknesses:    Bumpy going over technical rocks ... inherent to any rigid bike.

Bottom Line:
About the most fun you can have on a bike if you like riding up and downhill fast. Quick and responsive, great workout. Pure fun!

Favorite Trail:   many...

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   A few other singlespeeds...e.g. Fisher, Surly.

Bike Setup:   Stan's hubs, Crest rims, 180 mm cranks, light seat.

Submitted by hardrunnerpete a Cross Country Rider from Winona, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Strengths:    Light and agile.

Weaknesses:    Not having more time to ride!

Bottom Line:
It took me way to long to get on a SS 29er, absolutely love riding this setup. I can't even think about riding my full squishy 26in bike anymore. With the carbon RDO fork and SS the bike will weigh around 19lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim