Niner Bikes M.C.R. 9 29er Hardtail

4.68/5 (34 Reviews)

The M.C.R. 9 is the perfect all day epic geared cross country machine that will give you the comfort of supple Reynolds 853 steel at a weight only slightly higher than most alloy frames. Once again, attention to detail is everything with Niner, and the M.C.R. 9 has it all. For this geared only version, they've re-adjusted the BB drop and chainstay length while designing their chainstay bends to insure proper mud and heel clearance for even the fattest of tires (up to 2.4"). In a similar fashion to the S.I.R. 9, the M.C.R. 9 maintains the changing diameter and wall thickness of the tubesets depending on size, which means that every size frame has a ride characteristic built specifically for the rider on board. Finishing touches are all there, including the Niner stainless steel head badge, faced head tube and BB, chased BB threads, internally butted BB and faced disc brake mount for a no-fuss build.

Submitted by DBH a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, steel takes the edge off the trail

Weaknesses:    Frame is weak

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike just over two years ago. I simply fell in love with the ride. It was wonderfully old school. Unfortunately I broke the frame a few months outside the warranty period. Niner's warranty is not generous. Bummer, I will miss the bike.

Duration Product Used:   2.3 years

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2013

Strengths:    I've had this bike now for about 3 years. It was a demo frame at a local bike shop and I got a killer deal on it at $500. It's been a really great frame for me. At 210 lbs I have had no issues with excessive flexing as some have stated. Rather it has been compliant and it absolutely smooths out the the bumps on the trail. It's fast to accelerate and really rails on the corners. At the local trail I ride 2-3 times per week I am actually faster on this bike than I was on my old, lighter aluminum frame by several minutes. The bikes actually weighs about 2 pounds more fully built up than what I used to have, but it corners so well that it makes my overall time faster. I have mine set-up for racing, but if I were to put a more plush seat on it I could ride it all day with no complaints. I think it is one of the best, if not the best production steel frames available. You can do anything with it. Make it a race machine, set it up for all day events, make it a commuter, ride it rigid or with a squishy up front. In any of the many configurations you really can't go wrong. Provided you don't do anything really crazy and brake it and you rust shield it before you build it up this frame should last a long, long time. It's a "wife bike" the kind you settle down with and keep.

Weaknesses:    I gotta' say the paint. Maybe the newer models have improvements, but mine has it's share of chips. You can call Niner however and they will send you some touch up paint. If you apply the paint however make sure to pick up a small bottle of clear coat at the auto store to seal it with. Otherwise it will come off pretty easily.

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong with this frame. Some say it's not a race bike because it's a little heavier than carbon or aluminum, but it you can't get to the podium on this I doubt anything would get you there. If you can only have one bike get this and set it up any way you want for whatever your riding needs.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Shore Park

Thompson Seat Post
WTB Silverado SLT Seat

Submitted by Mr. Knobby

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Strengths:    Light for steel, perfect geometry, smoothest ride possible for a hard tail, great tire clearance, I love my solid gold color. Climbs and descends with authority. I weigh 200 lbs and can ride over the roughest terrain for hours in comfort.

Weaknesses:    None. It's the perfect steel frame.

Bottom Line:
The only chance a consumer would have to top the performance of this frame is to by titanium at several time the price.

Submitted by FormulaOne a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, ride and great handling. This is a non-custom frame that you can count on to be spot on for most riders as far as the geometry is concerned but the quality is almost custom and the price is way below what you'd pay for a custom steel frame. Great handling and very light!

Weaknesses:    I've been riding this bike hard for three months now and I haven't found any yet. The paint problems that others have spoken of have not happened for me despite more crashes than I'd like to admit to. I've paid close attention especially to the welds and no problems with bubbling paint or any other imperfections.

Bottom Line:
I loved building this bike. I was chasing a design that would be most suited to the trails I ride locally as I haven't the time to travel elsewhere. I wanted the lightest weight and the best ride quality without full squish. We don't need lots of gears either. So a steel 1X10 seemed the best route to take. The MCR frame is very light for a steel frame and the handling is proven. It has turned out better than expected! Acceleration out of corners is immediate, goes around corners like it's on rails and the ride is sublime. Magic Carpet Ride says it all!

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Webster Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Carve

Bike Setup:   Sram 1X10, XX rear derailleur, XO crank and brakes. Industry 9 XC hubs and spokes with Stan's No-Tubes rims and Racing Ralph Evos. Niner RDO post, stem and bar with Ergon grips. John Cobb DRT saddle (wonderful, go get one!) Chris King ceramic bottom bracket.

Submitted by brettsportler a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Strengths:    I bought this frame in autumn, so thought it would be wise to get the matching reynolds fork now, ride it rigid in autumn/winter and get a fox fork for spring and summer. However, I got so used to the current setup that I will probably keep it this way. Very nice riding quality, on a normal XC trail I don´t miss any suspension (use it w/ Nobby Nic 2.35 tubeless). Quite nimble on narrow single tracks, altough it still feels a tiny bit less agile than mit SS Surly 1x1 rigid.

Weaknesses:    People say the paints chips easily. They are right. After only a few hundred miles, I had to repaint a part of the fork where to brake cable (though isolated with some sort of protection from Avid). Not so cool.

Bottom Line:
Very satisfied. I´ll go for a week of transalp in summer, we´ll see wether I´ll miss front suspension. But please Niner guys, learn how to coat your frames! Surly frames cost not even half of what you ask and I never had this problem before!

Favorite Trail:   Tobel-Tour...

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Surly 1x1 (similiar?!)

Bike Setup:   Full rigid. Nobbys 2.35 Tubeless on Flow rims. Rohloff shifting. Thomson stuff. Surly torsion bar (love this bar).

Submitted by Dylan Rose-Coss a All Mountain Rider from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    Bike made me feel like a billy goat.

Weaknesses:    Well it broke and the company wouldn't warranty it for me. The dropout on the drive side cracked right through one day riding just simply riding home from school. The bike is like 2.5 years old, just out of the fairly paltry 2 year warranty period. I bought the steal for its durability and strength; I thought I was going to have this bike for life, commute on it, and ride the trails, then tour it across the continent. I guess not though. Thanks a lot niner bikes.

Bottom Line:
Well I thought Niner bikes was a cool company, I'm fairly hurt that they are not going to warranty their faulty product. Guess I will be looking other places for my new frame : (

Favorite Trail:   Windsor trail, Santa Fe NM

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Cycles alb

Similar Products Used:   ridden many different types of bikes

Bike Setup:   XL frame ( a little big for me at 6' 3") with Fox 100ml travel, 3/10 shimano xt drive-train, Stanz tubeless wheels,

Submitted by cradtke a Cross Country Rider from marathon wi

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Ride, Handling.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
Bike flys through rough singletrack and rockgardens. My 38yr old back loves this bike. Best 29er hardtail in my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   underdown merrill wi

Purchased At:   Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   Gt Avalanche, Gt IDXC 3.0, Gt Peace, Raliegh xxix ss, Schwinn s95.3, Paramount, Trek 7000.

Bike Setup:   Mostly SLX drivetrain, XTR rear Derialleur, Rockshox Reba, Sun Charger Wheelset, Wtb Prowler tires, Avid bb7s, Specialized saddle, shimano spds.

Submitted by kermitgreen a Cross Country Rider from Milford MI USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Love the ride and looks of the Reynolds 853 steel frame.

Weaknesses:    Everyone gripes about the paint chipping/scratching easily, but really, when you ride and wreck in the dirt, what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
Demoed a Vassago Bandersnatch and a Niner SIR 9 (same geo as MCR 9). The Niner seemed way more nimble on the twisty local singletrack I favor. Opted for the MCR 9 frame instead 'cause I need my gears! Plus the glowing Kermit Green paint really makes my bike stand out. This bike goes where I point it. Whether it's the 29" wheels, the fat Panaracer's or the Reynolds 853 frame, all I know is this bike rides awesome. There's a tricky little off-camber, dog-leg, low speed, rock garden on my fav trail. Three out of four times on my old 26" aluminum I would fail to clean this section. On the MCR 9 I haven't dabbed yet!

Favorite Trail:   any MMBA maintained singletrack

Purchased At:   tree fort bikes

Similar Products Used:   None, just my trusty fisher 26" alum. hardtail

Bike Setup:   full sram x9 2x10 drivetrain, truvativ stylo stem & seatpost, rock shox reba rlt ti fork, salsa promoto flat bars, esi grips, avid elixir cr brakes, wtb laserv saddle, dt swiss rims/hubs/skewers, panaracer rampage tires

Submitted by Indik a Weekend Warrior from Kiev

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    comfortable ride, stability and traction of a 29er, great looks

Bottom Line:
Amazing versatile bike. Period.
I can now ride 100+ miles a day in flat terrain or all day mountain adventures with great comfort! Never thought that could be possible on a hardtail.
Glad I haven`t bought a FS 26er :)

Favorite Trail:   many

Similar Products Used:   some aluminum 26ers (giant, gary fisher)

Submitted by 29ftw a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Niner geo is the cat's meow. Lightweight steel ride really is the magic ride - very comfy

Weaknesses:    Niner paint is fragile! I had a crack in the paint behind the top-tube gusset after just a few months (which is not a welded seam from what I understand).

Bottom Line:
Coming from the EMD I knew this bike would be fast and handle well. I was expecting the comfort and ride to be a significant improvement from the EMD and it definitely is! There are too many roots and rocks where I ride for aluminum (even with big tubeless tires). The 853 steel is a really nice ride - it really takes the edge off. I thought about getting a production ti frame like the Ridgeline and I'm glad I didn't - I don't believe the lower weight justifies the additional cost over high-end steel.

If you're looking for a nice compliant ride you can rail all day, this is the frame. I gave overall a 4 for the fragile paint - Niner should have resolved this issue by now..specifically this issue with the paint around the gusset. I knew the paint would likely have issues based on my EMD but still bought the frame. Overall it's an awesome do anything bike..

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   MountainHighCyclery

Similar Products Used:   Niner EMD9, Redline Flight, Zion 29r, many 26" bikes

Bike Setup:   XT 1x10, Reba, Hayes, Thomson, Fizik, I9/Stans, Maxxis

Submitted by chadgo a Weekend Warrior from matthews, NC

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Weaknesses:    availability of frame color choice due to lack of inventory. it's a good problem to have though.

Bottom Line:
previously demo'ed a jamis dragon 29er. i really couldn't tell a difference between the feel of the jamis and my current bianchi sok (aluminum) 29er. was a bit hesistant but the bike shop kept insisting i go w/the niner mcr. choices were the mcr or emd. decided on the mcr. first ride was last night at the rootiest place i've ever ridden and it was fantastic. there was a huge difference - not minimal. it felt so smooth and definitely softened the sharp bumps the aluminum gave back through the handlebar and stem. same exact parts on my bianchi. also same tire pressure i always run...so i know it's the frame and not anything else.

i'll have this bike for a loooong time, that's for sure. was leaning toward full suspension but this is all i'll ever need for my style of riding.

a bit pricey, but i really think niner has got this worked out great. i didn't believe all the hype before but i'm am sold and am drinking the kool-aid now.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere there is dirt

Purchased At:   Bicycles East - Fram

Similar Products Used:   bianchi sok 29er, fuji 29er, cannondale f700 w/headshock.

Bike Setup:   2x9 sram x.9 9 speed. rock shox reba sl dual air fork. stans arch rims, continental race kings, thomson stem and seatpost. easton carbon handlebars, ergon grips, crank brothers pedals, shimano slx crank w/race face bashguard, avid bb7 brakes, specialized romin saddle.

Submitted by Stump 29 a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    Steel ride, geometry, do anything – all day ride. Thin 853 tubing is pretty.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I can’t make excuses – it’s not the bike.

Bottom Line:
Great so far. Still playing with parts and tires. Went 1X9 with a 34T Surly and Race Face Bashguard. Bike feels lively. Got this to be a budget minded all-day ride. My third 29er and happy it is at least as good as the VaSSago. More aggressive geometry and I like it more each ride. No issues with paint so far. Can’t wait for the next ride. Get one.

Favorite Trail:   Anything local .Too many options. 100% XC with plenty of roots and sand.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat.Com

Similar Products Used:   Redline d660, Vassago Jabberwocky, Stumpjumper.

Bike Setup:   Gold color, Reba RLT 29er fork 80mm, a Cane Creek S-3 headset, a TruVativ Stylo Team Mountain bar, a TruVativ Stylo Team stem, SRAM X.9 trigger shifter, OURY Locking grips, Avid Elixir 5 disc brakes, a SRAM PC-971 chain, a SRAM X7 crankset, a SRAM PG980 cassette, a SRAM X.9 rear derailleur, a TruVativ Stylo Team seatpost, a WTB Silverado Pro saddle, Stan’s Raven 2.2 tires, and Stan's ZTR Arch white wheelset.
25.33lbs in size large.

Submitted by Brandon Hoskins a Cross Country Rider from Durango, Co. USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Great ratio of flex / stiffness. Very comfortable hard tail to cover LOTS of distance on.

Weaknesses:    Paint is sub - par. I would recommend picking up some 3M ClearBra upon purchase, and applying to the bottom of the down tube, and BB.

Bottom Line:
After years of rockin' a Cove Hustler (which I still have, and ride quite often) I figured I'd get a bike on the opposite side of the spectrum. I cannot believe how this bike can rail a downhill. Except for downhills that have drops, or other gnar factors, this bike can hang with the big boys. Uphills on the MCR are a dream. Climbs like a monkey. And on flat, rolly terrain the thing is gone. Freakin' gone.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail (Molas to Durango)

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Specia

Similar Products Used:   'Hadn't ridden a hard tail in years. So nothing really similar.

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano SLX brakes, and drivetrain. (Except XT rear derailiur.) Chris King Hubs, Stan's Flow rims, RockShox Reba Team fork, Thomson post and stem, Truvative bars, Fizik saddle, Cane Creek headset, ODI lock on grips.

Submitted by kenzen410 a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, MD

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    geometry, steel

Weaknesses:    could use better paint

Bottom Line:
Speedgoat's personalized fit service was well worth it. At 6'2" with a 35" true inseam, I'm perfectly dialed in to a L MCR (whereas I was previously riding an XL xcal as rec'd by LBS). Steel is so much smoother and more solid than aluminum. MCR paint could be improved - mine has chips and scratches at the usual spots. Very happy with this bike, though $750 is a bit steep.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco