Niner Bikes E.M.D. 9 29er Hardtail

4.69/5 (51 Reviews)
Weight : 3.5 lbs MSRP : $1957.00

Mountain bikes have come a long way in the last decade, and the Niner EMD 9 is a prime example of technology trickling down. While it lacks some of the bells and whistles of Niner?s top tier bikes, the EMD still rolls with the same hydroformed tubing, attention to detail, and performance-oriented geometry normally reserved for bikes that cost significantly more.Sharing the general design of the Air 9, the EMD 9 uses a lightweight, hydroformed alloy tubeset to offer a compliant ride, and a tapered headtube to ensure strength and steering precision. Niner uses extensive computer-aided finite element analysis, as well as a mess of real-world testing, to perfect its tube shapes. These tubes, when combined with widespread forging and CNC machining, ensure the optimum balance of strength to weight.The development investment on the EMD 9 frame is meant to ensure that the advantages of 29ers really shine. From the wide, swoopy stays, to the sturdy bottom bracket junction, the EMD 9 is designed to transfer all your pedal energy into forward momentum. Niner also relies on the AIR 9?s proven geometry to give the EMD 9 quick handling, stability at speed, and plenty of stand-over clearance.The EMD 9 uses a standard, English threaded 73mm bottom bracket shell. If you plan on going the 2x10 geared route, Niner recommends not exceeding a 26/39 front chain rings for SRAM, 28/40 for Shimano. The rear triangle will swallow a 2.4in tire and fits 160mm rotors. The disc mount is International Standard. You?ll need a top-pull front derailleur with a high-mount 34.9mm clamp. The EMD 9 uses a 31.6mm seatpost, and you?ll also need an inset style headset with a 44mm upper and 56mm lower.Niner offers the EMD 9 in four sizes: Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. It comes in Niner Red and Matte licorice.

Submitted by Cody

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2014

Strengths:    This frame is light for all the weight conscious folks out there. If you build around that then you can have a very light XC rig.I built my EMD from the ground up in my house. It was easy as the EMD was machined perfectly for every component. I did stray from the niner path by adding a 120mm Tala29. The 120mm feels better to me.

Weaknesses:    None yet. The bike feels great and no issues as of yet.

Bottom Line:
I am comparing this to my 2009 Ellsworth Epiphany. I was very skeptical about the 29er fad and even going to a hard tail. After 100 miles down I have no regrets. This bike is quick, maneuvers easily and takes my 310 lbs like a champ. Thats correct I fall into the Ultra Mega Clydes group of 310lbs. So the bike handles my "spirit" quite well.

Submitted by FC in Central Oregon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Great ride, geometry, XL frame actually fits riders up to 6'7", Beautiful lines...

Weaknesses:    As mentioned by other reviewer, careful with rear tire size! 29X2.2 max I would say

Bottom Line:
Went looking for a new hardtail frame when my 2010 Gary Fisher X-Cal developed crack in seat tube. Parts switched over with no problems (just needed new headset). Tried a 2.3 Weirwolf on the rear (which was great on the X-Cal), but after a ride or two I noticed the rub. Think I caught it just in time before it buzz sawed through the chainstay... It was already through the paint and into metal (barely). Rear triangle nice and stiff vertically but side to side when you are laying the bike over in turns it is "compliant". On the upside, because of the compliance, the ride is less harsh than the X-Cal with a given tire. Have a 2.2 Continental X-King on there now which fits fine and rides nicely. I am trying a 2.2 Wolverine next, but planning to put a wrap or two of electrical tape on the chainstays to give me some warning / insurance if it starts rubbing again. To give you some idea, I am 6'7" and around 200 lbs with gear/water on bike (XL frame).

All in all, very happy with the bike, but if I was much heavier, I would probably go for a stiffer frame.

Favorite Trail:   Skyliner, Sector 16

Duration Product Used:   2 - 3 months

Similar Products Used:   GF X-Cal 2010

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Duster TLR rims

Submitted by FFM

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2013

Strengths:    Light, cheap, good geometry.

Weaknesses:    Narrow chainstays, watch for tire rub.

Bottom Line:
I have put a lot of hard miles on this frame in a variety of collegiate races and it's taken everything I've thrown at it. The only thing compelling me to write this review is that I'm currently looking for a new one of these since my tire, a 29x2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph, has rubbed through the paint and into the metal on the interior of the chainstays. I run Stan's Arch EX tubeless and weigh 180-190 depending on the day so if you're getting this frame (which I would highly recommend) and that sounds like you, get a narrower rear tire. Other than that this thing is amazing. I'll agree that it gets a little squirrely through rough sections sometimes but it's just part of the character and it's very easy to adjust to it. Having ridden steel or otherwise heavy bikes for a long time, I prefer the feeling of lightness it provides. As for the paint if you're not dinging it, you're not riding it. As a final note, the MSRP if $550, which is already a great price, but you'd be a fool to pay that much for it. Shop around and I guarantee you'll find it much cheaper.

Submitted by 6BR a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Strong, Great geometry, value, looks.

Weaknesses:    Paint on black frame is not clearcoated and therefore chips fairly easily. Luckily for me I only had eyes for the arctic white frame. I do wish they offered an additional bright green color as they have on thier other frames.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as my 1st 29er and its been living up to all the hype and love thats been written about it on here so far. Im 5'9' 220lbs and the 2013 frame is stout enough to handle me yet plenty nimble on tricky uphil switchbacks and DH rock gardens. Ive had numerous gawkers on trails this year that were riding higher end fs bikes compliment the bike too. As you would expect it climbs great and stays compliant on many dh obstacles such as roots and rocks with no surprises. No doubt due to the big beffy hydro tubes and excellent frame geometry. If you are considering going to a 29 ht do yourself a favor and throw the EMD into your hat as a possibility. Hang some upper end compononets onto it and be prepared for a sub 24lb race bike ready to handle anything you throw at it.

Submitted by Farmer Ted

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2013

Strengths:    Great handling, nice fit and finish

Weaknesses:    Niners are long bikes...not really a weakness but something to be aware of

Bottom Line:
I'm really more of a 26" hold out and I tend to spend most of my time on small wheels. With that being said, I picked up a generic 29er a couple years ago and liked it for certain types of riding (mainly smooth, non-technical stuff) but the geometry and handling never really felt right to me.

This spring I had a chance to pick up an EMD frame for a good price so I figured I'd try it out. I now have a few months and some miles on it and I will say that I like it a lot more than my old 29er. I was on the edge of sizing between medium and large and after reading some things online, I opted for the large. These are long bikes and I don't mind that as I was riding 25 years ago when all XC bikes were long and stretched out. I guess I've gotten used to shorter bikes these days because I had to change out a stem and seatpost to get the bike to fit me but that's not unexpected.

I really like the geometry/ handling on this bike. with the short rear stays and long front end it feels stable, yet flickable. It feels less like a big wheeled bike than others that I've ridden. It is very stable at speed and it just feels right.

I really like the fit and finish on this frame, the paint is gorgeous (I have the 2012 red sparkle one), the small touches like the faced head tube and bb shell are great and the stainless head badge is a touch of class. I also am really appreciative of the threaded bb shell and zero stack (not integrated) headset. I hate press fit bbs and headset bearings that ride in the frame.

I did some short track racing on this bike earlier this summer and it felt right at home...even in tight and technical sections.

On top of it all, the price is pretty reasonable, especially if you can get one on sale/ clearance. I would say that if you like 29er hardtails and want something with great handling/ geometry, that's sort of upscale, this would be one to check out.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   mishmash of X7, X9, SLX, XT. Reba Fork, Easton wheels

Submitted by Granny Mary a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, light, flickable

Weaknesses:    Don't wanna get off it

Bottom Line:
After spending most of the last 18 years on some sort of full suspender I picked up a used '08 with a Reba fork. I'm in my mid-50's and a lousy climber so I always used the argument that bigger hoops are harder to move up a hill as my reason for not wanting to go 9r. I was also afraid of the turning ability of the larger wheels. But after getting this thing I just don't find as much use for my Yeti 575 anymore. This is partly due to changes in schedule that keep me from getting to the rock-strewn trails of Frederick and spending more time on the flowy trails of Mid-Montgomery County, MD. The EMD is sheer joy even over the more rare rock fields of mid-MoCo. It loves to turn and holds a chosen line. When my spindly legs twist the crank this guy leaps to action as if asking "what took you so long?" I had to get over my fear of pinch flats and ride with the tires set at 30 PSI. But I've learned to trust that higher volume and greater gap between tire and rim. (Haven't gone tubeless yet, but that's next.) The lower pressure also puts a nice little bit of undamped suspension in the ride which is nice when I just don't feel like getting my ass off the seat for a trail irregularity.

I've been riding it since last fall and see many miles of great riding ahead on this thing. To quote Ferris Bueller, "It is so choice. if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Favorite Trail:   Seneca Ridge Trail

Purchased At:   craigslist

Submitted by Espo61

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, uphill goat bike.... 2013 hydo tubes increase stiffness... just a sharp build....

Weaknesses:    It's hard to get off the thing - ya just wanna ride it and ride it and ride it......

Bottom Line:
I'm old... 50's... been rollin in the dirt when they started makin em' for the dirt... yes early 70's....bought my first niner when they came out 10-12 years ago - I have a nice fleet of em' now but this e.m.d.(XL) is the bike. After a few rides this year it has no weakness that I can find... yet. Set up as a 10 speed, sram X9, RDO fork, seat post & bars....SLX grabbers....and Stans Flow EX circles (X9 hubs work really good for me.. at 6'3" 245 - Size matters = speed on the down side.... Switch backs are controlled, control of the back end is stable.... it never makes you guess what the bike is gonna do... It is Stiff, not sure what some of the folks are saying about it not being stiff...ridding style for everyone is different - and your experience level (time in the saddle) is the goona make a huge difference on what you are able to do this bike.... the carbon fork up front carves very well and the weight savings is nice. The 710mm bars are the way to go as uphill/climbing becomes - shall we say "Easier", okay, easier. 96er's (29 front, 26 back) is a great set up - it's like cheating although top end speed is reduced a bit but if your looking for a goat bike this frame can be dialed in nicely!!

I am able to ride with the yougens' 2x29" and when I take my hat off the gray hair goes well with the Black Frame... LOL. If you able to test ride one of these do it. This frame Geom will test you and might make you (or the bike) do things you've never done on a bike as the balance is near 50/50 as I have it set up...you may stop ridding the FS bike after you do....I know niner says this is their low end entry level frame but at about 8 oz's heavier then the Air 9 I say this frame is a steal...I wish I had this frame when I was 17-18....

Stay Vertical Out There. Falling happens. Pain Occurs....Cheers and just ride dam it....(they got that from us as kids.. LOL).

Espo61

Submitted by G613

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Strengths:    Latest version 2012. Fast! Eat My Dust! Climbs great. Light. Nimble. I built this bike to have a 2nd bike/winter muck bike and I can't believe how much I enjoy this bike. Love it! What a value.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I thought I was just building an affordable 2nd bike. Wrong! My main bike is getting jealous.

Submitted by kersh13

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    The geometry of this frame just works. I came from a 26" Spec. Epic with a nice set of Crossmax SLR wheels and hopped on a friends EMD with crappy WTB wheels and was instantly faster. The aluminum is light for the price as well. For the money, this has been my favorite bike in 15+ years of cross country riding.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can think of is that the aluminum is stiff. But if you're worried about a bike being too stiff, why are you buying a hardtail, aluminum frame in the first place? Get steel or carbon or a full suspension.

Bottom Line:
This bike has truly made mountain biking something that I constantly look forward to. I love getting on this bike and feel even better when I get off of it after a good ride.

Submitted by jayseakay

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    - got my frame on a closeout deal in 2011 for about 300 bucks. Best deal ever.
- thing climbs like a goat
- great weight for the price
- fairly responsive for a 29er
- great looking frame and paint job (love the moondust)
- ride is smooth
- I love the Niner company as a whole

Weaknesses:    - paint chips super easily by chainstays (to be expected and the frames come with a bottle of touch up which is nice)
- not as stiff as other aluminum frames
- built up super light it can be kinda squirrelly

Bottom Line:
I built my EMD up with full XTR, superlight wheels, and carbon seatpost, bars, etc. Altogether it weighs about 23 lbs. Overall, I think this is literally the best frame at this price point. It does everything you need it to and more. It's fast, light, easy to control, sturdy, versatile. Just a great frame at an unbeatable price. Definitely try and pick them up during closeout sales at Jenson or something as these are literally the best deals around in my opinion.

Some cons are the fact that the bike tracks a little squirrell sometimes in the corners. This could be due to its lightness and my inexperience though as well. I came from a heavy duty 27 pound hartail and was used to its fatty stability so coming to this bike was a transition. Also the paint is pretty fragile and chips really easy.

Other than that its a great bike, well worth the price.

Submitted by Chris Shannon

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight frame, comfortable, climbing ability is outstanding

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Best mountain bike I have ever owned. Felt like a pro the first time I took it out. Was doing things I would have never done on my Trek 26". Climbing with this bike just put a smile on my face. Very happy with my choice of frame. Not much on building a bike from scratch but Outsideoutfitters.com built the bike with their reccomendation and it was effortless. They did an awesome job so I must reccomend them too. So glad I got this bike.

Submitted by BikeSpiders

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff and handles great

Weaknesses:    none I know of

Bottom Line:
My last bike was a Salsa Mamasita with Scandium and carbon, a great bike but bobbed to often. The EMD dos not, it is very responsive and stiff

Submitted by 001chadwick a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, tx USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    Light frame at 3.6lbs, Best climber I've ridden, Very efficient and very fast bike, acceleration is 30% better than any FS bike I've had, handles awesome for 29er, easily keeps up with friends on 26 HT, soakes up roots, rocks, and trail bumps with larger tires, very smooth/solid riding frame and feels planted on the trail,
I don't know why I every went to FS

Weaknesses:    Really have to ride differently to get the most out of this bike. Really watch the trail now to position myself for what comming up. Have to loft the front tire reallly large obstacles to absorb rear wheel shock.

Bottom Line:
I have never written a review about a bike before but this bike is bad a&%. It accelerates like no other I've ridden, never wears me out on long rides, climbs 30% better than any FS bike I've owned, and has great smooth, verticle compliance. If you can wrap your head around owning a 29er HT this is the bike for you.
The 29 in tires smooths everying out and does act like a "mini" suspension. If you choose your lines and ride it hard it will pay off with unlimited fun evertime.
If you afraid of braking the frame, don't. It has huge, beefy welds and thick 6000 aluminun in the rear triangle and hydroformed top/bottom tubes.
If you hate HT this bike is not for you, but if you are willing to try something different go for it.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore, Rowlett Creek

Koobi Alpha saddle
Weight is at 23.8 lbs and that's light enough for me

Submitted by Jimmy the Hoff a All Mountain Rider from Dongduchon, South Korea

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Strengths:    Light and rigid - awesome geometry

Weaknesses:    nothing yet

Bottom Line:
This rig is for everyone from newbies to experienced trail riders.

I have been trail riding on a full suspension Yeti 575 for 7 years - I never thought I'd go back to a hard tail - let alone a 29er. I also race quite often here in Korea (Koreans are mad about MTB) and yes, I raced my Yeti - she never failed me; nor will I get rid of her. But, I recently started reading about 29ers and found that Niner seemed to be leading the charge - took a chance and bought an EMD from JensonUSA. Pieced it together and have been riding it ever since - yes, my 575 is gathering dust (I am almost ashamed to say that...).

The Niner EMD geometry delivers incredible maneuverability, its agile, super responsive, light and very fast - I feel like I should have paid a lot more for it. I would take this rig on any trail I have ever ridden on; Crested Butte, North Cheyenne Canyon, Moab, Fruita, Hamesterly Forest, The 7 Stanes in Scotland, anywhere.

I am honestly stunned at how much I love riding this bike - freakin' stunned. It really deserves 6 chili's across the board. Well done Niner, well done.

Favorite Trail:   Machesan

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   GT Peace 9r (riding to work) - trail bike is a Yeti 575 (2005)

Bike Setup:   Large frame, Manitou Tower Expert fork, XT shifters, Truvative Noir Crank set, SunRingle Black Flag Wheels, Racing Ralphs, - weights in 25.5 lbs.

Submitted by EddyKilowatt a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, quality build, light, climbs well, good value

Weaknesses:    Nothing major. Rear brake pipe/cable routing and bosses seem hydro-specific, feel that cable/mechanical would be better suit the no-nonsense feel of the frame.

Bottom Line:
XL frame and 29" wheels were a no brainer for me at 6'4" and 200 lb, and the fit is fine. Never even considered 26".

This was my first build and it was great fun to figure out what I needed, cruise EBay and MTBR for bargains (Ti BB $35 koff koff), and assemble and tune the bike. I'd recommend a bike build as a fun project to anyone mechanically inclined... Niner frame with pre-prepped threads and faces gave no probs during assembly and does not seem finicky about component choices.

Riding, the handling is predictable and easy to carve and it is stiff to pedal and climbs great, easy to get weight onto the rear wheel for traction and is quite controllable on steep descents. Ride IS stiff which is pretty much inherent with aluminum. I originally used a Bontrager carbon fork for this build, which was feather light but punishing on ruts and potholes. I needed to keep up with a faster rider on a full suspension bike so put the M-29 on last year... seems to be a good match for the frame.

I'd recommend this frame for anyone who wants a quality build without succumbing to bling-ism. I don't see it as 'starter' or 'entry-level'; I expect this to fill the Hardtail spot in my fleet even if I add a trail bike in a year or two. I am still learning and improving, and this bike shows no signs of running out of performance for me.

Favorite Trail:   Goat Trail, Ft. Ord

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds, $5

Bike Setup:   Stan's Flows on Hope Pro II hubs, RST M-29 fork, BB7 brakes, SRAM X-9 drivetrain with twist shifters, Race Face Turbine cranks with Ti square taper BB, Thomson post and stem, FSA mid-rise bars, WTB Devo saddle, Saguaro rear/Rampage front tires.

Niner E.M.D 9 Build

I am currently working with a friend compiling a build list for my upcoming project. Take a look over it and let me know any opinions. I am open to all suggestions and comments. Trying to stay around a $2500 budget. [U]Build List[/U] Frame...... Niner E.M.D. 9...... A&W Root Be ... Read More »

anyone have a large niner AIR9, E.M.D.9 or a yeti AS-R I can try?

Also looking to try a niner JET 9... I am going to be getting a new bike soon and these are on my list, and sense i have never ridden any of them and there aren't any yeti or niner demos in the Portland area it would be nice to try them out before i pull the trigger. We can go for a ride and you ... Read More »

E.M.D 9 improvement over Cobia 07?

I currently have an 07 Fisher Cobia and am thinking of buying the EMD 9 frame to replace the Cobia. I can't help but feel like the Cobia is a little off in its geometry (Genesis). I ride a 21'' frame and do a little bit of technical but mostly single track... Ideas?:cool:Read More »

Niner e.m.d. 9 or what else?

I have been been thinking of making my first foray into 29er bikes for a little while and I'm not sure which way to go. For the past four years I've been on an Intense 5point5 and absolutely love the bike. My initial reaction was to consider the new Intense 5.5 29er when it becomes available this sp ... Read More »

SPAM: Niner E.M.D.9 Frame & RST M-29 fork in classifieds

SSSSSSSSPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM Up for sale is a lovely Niner E.M.D.9 frame, XL, gloss black - and - RST M-29 fork, 80mm, white Buy them NOW!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :band: :rockon: :rockon:Read More »