Motobecane Fantom 29er Hardtail

• Rims: WTB FX28 Disc Black anodized Aluminum
  • Handlebar: Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2014

Strengths:    Light frame for what it is lighter than my Giant.
Brakes are very powerful almost too strong :)
Super smooth crank climes like a beast and gears work perfectly

Weaknesses:    Top tube is too high on my 19inch wish it was a little lower design but i wouldn't go to a smaller frame and this could be because of my unique body geometry. seat is worthless along with flat pedals. oh well. Wish it had the Reba.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Elite model
Buy this bike not the one from the other online place your thinking about. This is lighter then my girls 15inch Giant Hardtail. runs smooth everything works. didn't need to adjust anything out of the box. took it to the local bike shop and all they had to do was bleed the front brake and everything els was ready to go 15 bucks. BRAKES ARE STRONG, i couldn't ask for more. and they don't squeal. The Gravity Hubs and wheels are doing great smooth and fast. All these mismatched components work flawlessly together. Im in love with the FSA crank. smoother then my Madone road bike.
I am thinking about buying a lower version of this for my wife.
Total miles ridden 50. Dupont nc black mountain did great downhill and did great for what it was meant to do single track.
I will be back on if anything Breaks or goes wrong with the bike. and a one year past review. Will be a devoted Bikes Direct customer and motobecane. I have worked at a bike shop and this is the best value for entry level bikes up to 2.5k. Might get the FS frame in the future and switch the components from Bikes direct.

Purchased At:   BikesDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Outlander Pro, gaint hardrock, treck madone,

Bike Setup:   shorter stem

Submitted by Jody T a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    TOUGH! This bike has taken a beating and keeps on going strong. As a bit of a novice, I have crashed this bike HARD several times without having to do anything but get back on and ride. The 29's put momentum on your side. Rock Shox are great. The hydro breaks have taken a hard work out to and have held up nicely. While others' chains & derailleurs were coming off or breaking, the MOTO held strong. Climbing is a breeze with the 10x3. Shifting is smooth and dependable.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than the more expensive bikes (carbon fiber), but you get plenty of value for what you pay.

Bottom Line:
Excellent buy. Thanks Bikes Direct!

Submitted by Chipanator

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    This bike is light, fast and tough as nails! I love it! The SRAM shifters are smooth and flawless in all 30 gears. The Avid Hydraulic brakes along with 180mm discs have plenty of stopping power and the 29" WTB tires and rims on Gravity hubs just want to roll over everything! All that and locking Rock Shox front suspension too!!! I am very happy with my purchase!

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses? What weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
Over all I am absolutely, positively, beyond all my expectations, blown away by this bike. If someone would have told me how much of a difference this bike would make over the $100.00 bike I was on before my purchase, I would not have believed them. It's light and fast. It goes up any hill as easily as riding on flat ground. It stops without failure and I never miss a gear.

Submitted by Ontarob a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive and race-able out of the box. Brilliant all-rounder. Frame handles decently well and is very reliable. Can't go wrong with XT parts mix. RS Reba is solid too.

Weaknesses:    Cheap heavy seat. A few quick upgrades needed to save some serious weight. Pretty much just cockpit parts and wheels though. And obviously you'll need pedals.

Bottom Line:
I bought this when I cracked my cannondale race bike in the middle of a season. I race expert and am racing 1-2 times a week in the summer so I can't be without a bike. Apparently Cannondale have decided not to honour past lifetime warranties. So I was forced to upgrade on a budget and I've been really happy with the Moto. They're not much of a brand, but are made by Kinesis - which has been around forever making every other manufacturers bikes. The frame is about as good as it gets - solid, stiff and reliable. You can get lighter carbon, but at a massive premium for gram shaving and loss in rigidity for negligible performance gains. On a budget you're better off with the Moto and some upgraded race wheels for weekend use. This frame hits a great sweet spot - great value and very raceworthy. More than a year later I'm still racing it and really happy about it - and will keep it through the next season with just another round of parts upgrades. Upgraded the wheels with some nice race wheels, swapped the seat and bars for fit and am tweaking other stuff here and there, but totally satisfied. This has got to be the best value xt bike out there right now!

Favorite Trail:   Buckwallow

Duration Product Used:   approximately 1 yr

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale (Crackenfail), Trek

Bike Setup:   XT, Ritchey cockpit, notubes wheels, 2.35 Schwalbe tires.

Submitted by Brad Norton a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Hard-tail with lockout front fork allows rider to put all the power to the wheels on hard pack and pavement.
Almost diamond frame geometry makes for stiffer ride that works great for prairie, hard-pack trails, and urban commuting.

Weaknesses:    Frame geometry not as good for mountain and other technical rocky or muddy downhill rides.
Rider will need to replace/select different tires based on their trail riding conditions. (Same for any bike)

Bottom Line:
I love the frame for handling Midwest trails and pothole filled streets. The geometry works for this type of ride as well as commute. The fat 29" wheels handle bad street conditions better. And, after riding it for over 2,000 miles this year, it's ding great!

Because all components are from other manufacturers, I am not rating the brakes, crank assembly or tires. The tires that came on the bike were OK, but not what I needed for the type of trails I ride.

Favorite Trail:   Des Plaines River Trail

Duration Product Used:   2,000 miles

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   SRAM X7 10 speed cassette, FSA Gravity crankset, SRAM Elixer 1 hydraulic brakes, Rockshox front fork, Schwalbe Big Apple 29" tires

Submitted by Fantom29erElite

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    The Matt black it the bomb. The Elixer3 brakes are great. the silver recon fork does exactly what is supposed to. I'm 5 10 with a 33 inseam and no problem withe standover issues. Shoot this thing is even good as a commuter bike. I know first commute I made was 27 miles. It was fun.

Weaknesses:    Only one thus far. The stem, I needed one with more of a rise. Oh ya DON'T I REPEAT don't wear a face mask. Stupid cop pulled me over and said that I would shot because of it.

Bottom Line:
LOVE IT... I want a full suspension now lol

Submitted by Tony C

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    Nice ride, no complaints. Got the green color and it looks great, kind of a pearl essence teal color. Easy to assemble, but you still need to tru the wheel and make minor adjustments. Great price. oh and i really like the disk brakes.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I am 6'-0" & 200 lbs, got the 19" frame and am quite happy with the feel.

Submitted by Diminutive Chick

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    I'm 5'1 tall. The 13" fits perfectly. This is the only reason I'm posting, to add this strength. Because that is a pretty huge plus when you're really short and you're looking for a 29er.

Weaknesses:    Possibly the fact that it is not a steel frame. Although it's already a little heavier than I like, so a steel frame for me would have been worse for my purposes.

Bottom Line:
The other posters have well delineated this bike's many strengths, but for petite women looking for a 29er, this is one of the few I found that worked for me. It's a great bike to ride, stable with a really comfortable feel. And VERY FUN! Plus you can find them for incredible sale prices.

Submitted by Josh toth a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Price, durability, and componets. I love this bike, i use it for xc type riding, hit some big gaps on it and the suspension takes it very well. I even use it for basic trials. Handles great!

Weaknesses:    Stem, i changed it for a shorter stem

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and i highly recomend it! I am 5'8" and the 15" frame fits great.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by Chris - Love the single track

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2013

Strengths:    Components, frame geometry

Weaknesses:    Pedals

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the 2013 model and want to update the specs. Fork is upgraded to the Rockshox Reba RL with remote lockout (sweet!). The brakes are Avid ELIXIR 5 with 180mm Avid HS1 rotors (double sweet!). The shifters are Shimano XT DynaSYS with trigger shift, the front derailleur is Shimano XT while the rear is Shimano XTR and the cassette is Shimano DynaSYS SLX 11-36t 10Speed for a total of 30 gear combos (triple sweet!).

I can't say enough good things about this bike. You can get it at Bikes Direct for $1300, no shipping or sales tax. At this price point you will be challenged to find another bike with these components. But the frame is nothing to complain about either. I'm 6'4" so went with the 21" frame and find the geometry very comfortable. I won't go into how awesome I think the 29er hardtail design is, since you can read about that elsewhere. But Motobecane has a winning combo in this bike that blows away anything I have ever ridden previously.

The only thing I can fault on this bike are the pedals which are pretty basic and will be my first upgrade. Next will be the tires, only because I want to go tubeless and get some more knobby treads. But, come on, these are the easiest and cheapest part of a bike to upgrade so I'm not really complaining.

I hit mostly single tracks in southern New Mexico which are a mix of dirt, sand, rock and sometimes full out slick rock. This thing takes it all without breaking a sweat. I've bombed down rocky trails at speeds I would never have considered on other bikes and know the only limitation is my own confidence. I haven't come close to pushing this bike to it's limits yet. If you want a serious MTB, and think $1300 is just outside of your budget, find a way to make it work. You will not be disappointed!

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Components, geometry, "beefiness", oh, and price!

Weaknesses:    Front stem/suspension

Bottom Line:
I upgraded a 2001 Gary Fisher Kaitai for this bike (Motobecane Fantom 29 Comp). I am 5'11" and the 17.5" frame fits great. I tried out the 15.5 inch frame which also felt really good, a bit more responsive, but I found a better riding position with the 17.5" frame. I am really happy with this purchase! Have taken it out on the trails several times and here are a few benefits.
29 inch wheels let you pass straight through small rocks and roots on climbs instead of hunting for an angle. This lets you keep your momentum.
The bigger wheels also make it harder to go over the handlebars, went through a couple of drops in which the bike corrected itself instead of throwing me over.
The components are great, smooth shifting.
Tektro Auriga brakes have been performing great, regardless some of their reviews.
Te rig is BIG, you feel you're hopping on a motorcycle, but once on top it feels really manageable.
The only issue I have is with the front fork, it has a Rock Shox xc 28 which I find a bit "flimsy". Haven't been able to really adjust the stem to have no play at all, but my LBS tells me its the fork and not the stem. Works fine, but I guess that will be the first upgrade.

It's a bit tougher to get the bike going compared to a 26", but once you get going it has a very nice flow. Frame seems stiff and responsive.

All in all a great bike. Great components, great price, seems to be built really sturdy (time will tell), looks.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Hardrock comp 29, Motobecane Fantom 29 15.5" frame

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX front and rear, Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes w/180mm rotors, Rockshox XC 28 fork, Deore Shifters, WTB Nano 29er 2.1" tires.

Submitted by mpitre

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth shifting. Lots of options with the 30 gear set-up. Pretty light for a bike this size. Feels good running through the gears. Brakes are really responsove.

Weaknesses:    Pedals & seat get replaced. After initial assembly a good tune-up is in order for shifting and brakes. But that's standard for any bike out of a box. Other than that, great bike , great buy.

Bottom Line:
Great Components for under $900 through Bikes Direct. Pre-ordered for July17th and I received it on the 18th (1 day UPS within Texas). The Flat black paint job is sick. XT components, FSA cranks, Recon front shock is ready to take a beating. This is my first 29r from a 26 MTB and this bike is ready to take on the trails. It took about 1 hour to set-up bike w/o a bike stand. The Avid Elixer3 brakes work great

Submitted by superlubricity a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Value. I could not find a better equipped bike (E.g. XTR derailleurs and shifters, Reba RL fork with remote lockout, Elixir 7 hydraulic brakes) at this price-point anywhere. Frame design and paint are top-notch.

Weaknesses:    Grips and pedals were replaced right away. The crankset chainring combo (30/42) is a bit too race-inspired for my liking. Will replace with a M980 XTR crankset (26/38) this summer to make those climbs more bearable and to complete the DynaSys driveline.

Bottom Line:
Bought the XL frame (6'3" rider) and the figment is great. Bike just feels right when riding and I have a lot of confidence in the cockpit. The bike is very fast and shifts very smooth. The 29" wheels and 100mm Reba RL combo have made me forget about my 26" full-suspension bike. I'm a 29er now.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Coming from 26" 2002 Specialized FSR w/ 120mm Psylo and XT/XTR components.

Bike Setup:   2012 Fantom29 PRO SL (XL) - Added ODI 130mm Rogue lock-on grips and Wellgo MG-1 platform pedals.

Submitted by thoe99 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    most every component, fast shifting, torquey brakes, highly adjustable shocks with pushlock, lightweight bike; I really like the way you thread a bar through the front wheel to secure it (makes the wheel impossible to fall off), 2x10 drivetrain

Weaknesses:    rear wheel needs to be put on really tight with the quick release, otherwise, it'll fall off (it's happened to me twice within 5 months of owning); it can be difficult to completely adjust the brake pads and its caliper from rubbing on the rotor (there's usually a slight rub most of the times)

Bottom Line:
I use this bike as my adventure racing bike. I race anywhere from 6-30hrs. Everything about this bike puts my last bike to shame. I did not know what a good bike was until I splurged on this one. It's fairly lightweight, incredibly stable, and corners very well, even with stock tires.

Most of the components on this bike are top of the line. The shifting is like butter, both up and downshifts. It shifts so fast sometimes I don't even feel it, even the front gears! This fast shifting comes in handy when you are slower to react with climbing or going through sugar sand or mud.

I'm not really sure how much more braking power you need than what this bike comes with. The brakes can get extremely torquey, to the point you can throw yourself off the bike in an instant. It does not take much grip on the brake handles to lock the wheels up, yet you still have the full range of sensitivity.

I really enjoy the 2x10 drivetrain. It's got a wider range of gears than my previous 3x9. I can have a super low gear that can easily spin my tires in dirt, or a tall high gear that can get me past 30mph on pavement. With all of this, I do not have to worry about being in the proper front gear to match the rear gear. Less mechanical parts means less areas to fail.

I have not needed to tune the fork suspension yet, except airing them up with the proper air pressures, but there are bump and rebound settings to play with, as well as a convenient pushlock lever on the handlebar so that you can go from soft shocks to 75% stiffer shocks. When racing, I often go from bumpy terrain to smoother grounds, and this comes in handy.

I'm 5'4" @ 145lbs and went with a 13" frame. It fits me perfectly, although the 29" wheels with its 100mm travel makes the handlebars sit a little taller than I'd like, but it's not a big deal. Overall, I feel like I got a lot of bike for my money.

Favorite Trail:   Chuck Lennon in FL