Motobecane Fantom 29Pro Comp 29er Hardtail

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• FRAME MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses
  • REAR SHOCK N/A
  • FORK RockShox DART3 WITH LOCKOUT, 80mm travel, Adjustable Rebound, 1.125" threadless steerer tube
  • HEADSET CaneCreek Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 in
  • DERAILLEURS Shimano Deore clamp-on front derailleur, Shimano XT long cage rear derailleur
  • SHIFTERS Shimano Deore Mega-9 Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
  • CRANK / BB TruVativ FireX 175mm, 22/32/44T / TruVativ GXP external bearing, 68mm
  • CASSETTE Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
  • CHAIN KMC Z9000 super narrow 9 speed
  • BRAKES Avid BB5 BallBearing Mechanical Disc front and rear, 185mm rotor
  • BRAKE LEVERS Avid FR5 for Disc Brake
  • WHEELS WTB FX28 Disc Black anodized Aluminum, Gravity Hubs by Formula Sealed Bearing Disc with Quick Release, stainless steel spokes
  • TIRES WTB MotoRaptor 29x2.1 tires. Presta Valve tubes.
  • SEAT / POST / CLAMP WTB RocketV / Ritchey Comp Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm / Superlight aluminum with QR lever
  • BAR / STEM / GRIPS Rizer Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6 25.4clamp/ Black Finish Aluminum threadless 25.4mm clamp / WTB DualCompound
  • PEDALS Mountain Platform, 9/16" Boron Steel axles

Submitted by Mattrob a Weekend Warrior from FV NC

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Overall componetry for the price.

Weaknesses:    Misleading description on product page at bikesdirect. They talk about the Shimano dydnasys and the front middle chainring sprecial design for it. However there is no Shimano middle or chainring or crankset. It is an FSA crankset.

Bottom Line:
A nice product, but they are correct you do need to be competent to put it together. I got a scratched model for a discount which was fine. Overall very happy with the bike. As for the misleading description on the webpage it does clearly state in the details the the crankset is an FSA not Shimano. I just find it misleading that they talk about the front chainrings in the description on the model page and then don't include it. A little bait and switch. I am happy overall with the bike and feel I got a good value. `

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   bikeisland.com

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by subspd a Weekend Warrior from Cumming, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Very well sorted frame and excellent component set for the price. SLX rear derailleur works well and so do the Deore push/pull trigger shifters. Tires setup tubless without much fuss. Comes with hydro brakes and have to say that the frame is very well finished.

Weaknesses:    For me the crank-set was a disappointment. It was a old style square taper unit. I swapped it out with a new Deore LX with an external BB. The front fork (SR Suntour XCT) is just junk. Once you have ridden a quality air fork there is no going back. (Just remember most forks cost more than this whole bike.) It would be the next thing to replace. Or better yet just buy the next level bike with the better fork. Also the stem had to much rise/drop and the handlebars were too narrow. (These are really personal preference items though.) I developed a squeak in the seat clamp and changed out the post for a better one.

Bottom Line:
Hands down the best bang for the buck money can buy when it comes to a great hard tail 29er. I just wish I had spent a little more and gotten one or two models better for the better forks.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300, couple test rides on some other 29er hard tails.

Bike Setup:   Stock bike, setup tube-less, LX crank and BB, Wellgo pedals, Easton XC90 seatpost, FSA 90mm stem and Specialized 7074 680mm flat handle bars.

Submitted by Richwon4 a Cross Country Rider from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Love the Hydrolic Brakes, Grips, and Saddle. I love the extra clearance from it being a 29'er.

Weaknesses:    Tires are slightly more aggressive than my hybrid. Shifting seems a bit slow but it hasn't been adjusted yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm a beginner but I have to say this bike is far greater than I expected it to be. As a beginner I had some issues with the bit of assembly required. Customer service though w/o a phone number responds to emails extremely fast and was more than helpful.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Single Track