Motobecane Fantom 29 29er Hardtail

• Rims: WTB FX28 Disc Black anodized Aluminum
  • Handlebar: Black Finish Aluminum 6061 T6

Submitted by Jody T a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    TOUGH! This bike has taken a beating and keeps on going strong. As a bit of a novice, I have crashed this bike HARD several times without having to do anything but get back on and ride. The 29's put momentum on your side. Rock Shox are great. The hydro breaks have taken a hard work out to and have held up nicely. While others' chains & derailleurs were coming off or breaking, the MOTO held strong. Climbing is a breeze with the 10x3. Shifting is smooth and dependable.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than the more expensive bikes (carbon fiber), but you get plenty of value for what you pay.

Bottom Line:
Excellent buy. Thanks Bikes Direct!

Submitted by Brad Norton a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Hard-tail with lockout front fork allows rider to put all the power to the wheels on hard pack and pavement.
Almost diamond frame geometry makes for stiffer ride that works great for prairie, hard-pack trails, and urban commuting.

Weaknesses:    Frame geometry not as good for mountain and other technical rocky or muddy downhill rides.
Rider will need to replace/select different tires based on their trail riding conditions. (Same for any bike)

Bottom Line:
I love the frame for handling Midwest trails and pothole filled streets. The geometry works for this type of ride as well as commute. The fat 29" wheels handle bad street conditions better. And, after riding it for over 2,000 miles this year, it's ding great!

Because all components are from other manufacturers, I am not rating the brakes, crank assembly or tires. The tires that came on the bike were OK, but not what I needed for the type of trails I ride.

Favorite Trail:   Des Plaines River Trail

Duration Product Used:   2,000 miles

Purchased At:   Bikes Direct

Bike Setup:   SRAM X7 10 speed cassette, FSA Gravity crankset, SRAM Elixer 1 hydraulic brakes, Rockshox front fork, Schwalbe Big Apple 29" tires

Submitted by Fantom29erElite

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    The Matt black it the bomb. The Elixer3 brakes are great. the silver recon fork does exactly what is supposed to. I'm 5 10 with a 33 inseam and no problem withe standover issues. Shoot this thing is even good as a commuter bike. I know first commute I made was 27 miles. It was fun.

Weaknesses:    Only one thus far. The stem, I needed one with more of a rise. Oh ya DON'T I REPEAT don't wear a face mask. Stupid cop pulled me over and said that I would shot because of it.

Bottom Line:
LOVE IT... I want a full suspension now lol

Submitted by Tony C

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2013

Strengths:    Nice ride, no complaints. Got the green color and it looks great, kind of a pearl essence teal color. Easy to assemble, but you still need to tru the wheel and make minor adjustments. Great price. oh and i really like the disk brakes.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I am 6'-0" & 200 lbs, got the 19" frame and am quite happy with the feel.

Submitted by Diminutive Chick

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    I'm 5'1 tall. The 13" fits perfectly. This is the only reason I'm posting, to add this strength. Because that is a pretty huge plus when you're really short and you're looking for a 29er.

Weaknesses:    Possibly the fact that it is not a steel frame. Although it's already a little heavier than I like, so a steel frame for me would have been worse for my purposes.

Bottom Line:
The other posters have well delineated this bike's many strengths, but for petite women looking for a 29er, this is one of the few I found that worked for me. It's a great bike to ride, stable with a really comfortable feel. And VERY FUN! Plus you can find them for incredible sale prices.

Submitted by Josh toth a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Price, durability, and componets. I love this bike, i use it for xc type riding, hit some big gaps on it and the suspension takes it very well. I even use it for basic trials. Handles great!

Weaknesses:    Stem, i changed it for a shorter stem

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and i highly recomend it! I am 5'8" and the 15" frame fits great.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    Components, geometry, "beefiness", oh, and price!

Weaknesses:    Front stem/suspension

Bottom Line:
I upgraded a 2001 Gary Fisher Kaitai for this bike (Motobecane Fantom 29 Comp). I am 5'11" and the 17.5" frame fits great. I tried out the 15.5 inch frame which also felt really good, a bit more responsive, but I found a better riding position with the 17.5" frame. I am really happy with this purchase! Have taken it out on the trails several times and here are a few benefits.
29 inch wheels let you pass straight through small rocks and roots on climbs instead of hunting for an angle. This lets you keep your momentum.
The bigger wheels also make it harder to go over the handlebars, went through a couple of drops in which the bike corrected itself instead of throwing me over.
The components are great, smooth shifting.
Tektro Auriga brakes have been performing great, regardless some of their reviews.
Te rig is BIG, you feel you're hopping on a motorcycle, but once on top it feels really manageable.
The only issue I have is with the front fork, it has a Rock Shox xc 28 which I find a bit "flimsy". Haven't been able to really adjust the stem to have no play at all, but my LBS tells me its the fork and not the stem. Works fine, but I guess that will be the first upgrade.

It's a bit tougher to get the bike going compared to a 26", but once you get going it has a very nice flow. Frame seems stiff and responsive.

All in all a great bike. Great components, great price, seems to be built really sturdy (time will tell), looks.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Hardrock comp 29, Motobecane Fantom 29 15.5" frame

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX front and rear, Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes w/180mm rotors, Rockshox XC 28 fork, Deore Shifters, WTB Nano 29er 2.1" tires.

Submitted by leam1002 a Weekend Warrior from altoona pa

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    Price,PRICE AND P_ R_ I _C _E! VERY GOOD COMPONENT SELECTION SERVICE FROM SUPPLIER I COULD GO ON BUT YOU GET THE PICTURE.

Weaknesses:    NONE SO FAR MAYBE THE CHAIN BUT I HAVE SEVERAL NEW SHIMANO IN MY STASH.

Bottom Line:
I AM A BIG GUY 5"10 201 MY 17.5 FRAME FITS VERY GOOD BIKE JUST SIMPLY MOTORS! BEST VALUE IN BIKES GOING TODAY. YES YOU OR AN EXPERIANCED SHOP HAS SOME ASSEMBLY AND TUNING TO DO,BUT THE DOLLARS SAVED FAR OUTWEIGHS THE JOB.I MANAGE AN AUTO PARTS STORE SO I LOVE THE ASSEMBLY AND UPGRADEABILITY OF THINGS LIKE THIS,BUT ANY BIKESHOP THAT TURNS DOWN LESS EXPERIANCED PEOPLE WANTING ASSEMBLY OR TUNING SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES THINK OF THE ADD ON SALES AND ADDED CUSTOMERS YOU GET THROUGH WORD OF MOUTH.I RODE AND PRICED SEVERAL TREK AND SPECIALIZED 29ERS JUST DIDNT SEE THE VALUE IN HAVING TO UPGRADE PARTS RIGHT IN THE SHOP.BOUGHT AND ASSEMBLED BY ME JUST FINISHED A TEN MILE PRACTICE RIDE WOW CAN CLIMB HILLS MY FUJI CYCLOCROSS BIKE FAILED AT, MUST BE GEARING PLUS SMOOTH RIDE OF THE BIG TIRES,ABOUT TIME. AS FAR AS BIKESDIRECT SUPER COMMUNICATIONS I KNEW WHERE MY SHIPMENT WAS FROM THE MOMENT OF PAYMENT TILL OOPSPS(UPS) DELIVERED MY BIKE LUCKILY NO FOOTPRINTS OR HOLES IN THE BOX. TRULY GOOD EXPERIANCE MAYBE I WAS LUCKY BUT I AM GLAD !

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   BIKESDIRECT.COM

Similar Products Used:   TRECK SPECIALIZED FUJI MOTOBECANE YA BEEN RIDING A LONG TIME

Bike Setup:   THIS BIKE IS A 2012 FANTOM 29 ELITE RECON SILVER SLX XT ELIXER3 FSA

Submitted by Russr a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2011

Strengths:    For the price, nothing comes even close. Clean welds...decent components. Looks great in matte black. Quick delivery.

Weaknesses:    For a weekend warrior-none! I know some reviews talk about some BB problems, but I haven't had any.

Bottom Line:
Just a great bike for the price! 6'03" 190lbs. 21" bike fits great. I'm not a racer and I use the bike on dirt roads with an occasional trip on the single track. Some components get trashed in reviews (BB, rockshox dart 3, pedals). I may replace them if they break. But for now the bike is everything I was looking for in my first 29er and first MTB in ten years. Like to use my lbs and I do for my road bike, but for a second bike when you want to enjoy a fall day off-road, this has been a fantastic ride.

Favorite Trail:   Arnold AFB

Purchased At:   BD

Similar Products Used:   First 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock, although I'm going to need wider bars. 27" just fit me better

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Tooele Utah

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    very well built, smooth ride, good cornering and comfortable feel, not too bad in wieght

Weaknesses:    Front derailer could be better and the fork a little heavy, would be nice if website provided phone number to talk with someone directly, a little customer service would be appreciated.

Bottom Line:
I was skeptical at first when I bought this based on all the reviews I read. I orderd on a Sunday and got it the folloeing Tursday, ita came pacakaed very nice with everything in tact. I opened the box and apon examination decided to take to lbs for assembly which cost me 75.00 but was well worth it as they tuned and adjusted everything.The bike is very nice and seems well built, looks sharp and must admit I am impressed with the value from bikesdirect and would probabbly order from them again when ready for road bike.
I took the bike out for a ride yesterday 05/25/11 , went 37 miles and it preformed beautifully without andy problems, brakes work great, rides nice and smooth and the big wheels roll over everything i definatley noticed a diiference in speed. i really like the lockout fork option it is nice when on the road though a little heavy. Overall I am very pleased with my experience though I wish that bikesdirect would provide a phone number and a little more customer service that would comeplete the experience

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   first 29er, althought I do have a Raleigh Mojave 8.0

Submitted by bersh a Weekend Warrior from Chassell, MI

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Lots of bang for the buck, decent components, frame seems to be well made with really nice welds

Weaknesses:    Dart 3 forks are heavy and flexy, stem and handlebar are suspect (though never had a problem), headset was very cheap, seatpost is too short

Bottom Line:
I went back and forth on ordering a bike from bikesdirect for a couple months, and I test rode every 29er that my local LBSs doing my best to try and buy local. Truth of the matter was that I couldn't touch a bike locally that was equipped as nice as the BD Motobecane Fantom 29er for less than $1,300, and even at that price range I was giving up a few things vs. the BD bike. I finally ordered the bike and about a week later I was riding. Overall I have been very impressed with the bike. Took a little screwing around to get it dialed in, but initial assembly was easy and I haven't had any major issues yet after a year.

Even though I've got a few things listed about under the weaknesses - I'm nitpicking a bit. I knew going into the deal what I was getting into, and those were all things I was planning on replacing anyway.

This was my first 29er, and I didn't want to break the bank to try it out. I'm glad I went the route I did as I now have a bike that rivals other brands for less than half the price. As far as riding, the 29er takes some getting used to, but overall I really enjoy it. It might not be as snappy as a 26, but it sure rolls over stuff nice and feels very stable.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   first 29er

Bike Setup:   swapped out the headset for a Cane Creek S-1, swapped out forks for Tora Race SL soloair, swapped out seatpost, swapped out BB5 brakes with Elixir R

I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam and I think the 17" frame fits me about perfect.

Submitted by intotheblue a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Strengths:    component mix, geometry, price

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy, just over 30 lbs. I have had a tough time getting the BB5's dialed in, but find a good LBS and you should be fine. The alignment on the cheap Truvativ BB/crankset isn't great - it rubs on the front derailleur in some gears.

Bottom Line:
I was wary of buying a bike without having ridden it, but after much research and a budget limit of around $600, I went ahead with the Fantom29. For the money this has been an awesome bike for me. I don't have any bike assembly experience, so, while I was able to put the thing together, I still had to take it to a local shop to have the derailleurs adjusted and the brakes aligned.

The stock stem is huge/goofy-looking with a pretty steep rise, so I paid $20 and switched it out for a Race Face stem of the same length (100mm) with a 6 degree rise, and I feel this improved the bike's looks (a lot) and handling (more aggressive, which is good for me).

The stock pedals are small and don't grip well, so $40 got me a pair of big platforms with studs, which I really like.

The first time I took this bike out on a root/rock-ridden trail, I was really surprised how well the wheels rolled over everything, and at the performance of the Dart 3, which has given me no troubles (it seems like Rock Shox has addressed some early issues with this fork.) I use the bike as transportation to/from school as well as on the trail, and being able to lock out the fork is a huge plus on the road. Also, mine came with WTB Nanoraptors, who's tread pattern is actually pretty good for riding on the road, not too knobby.

While this bike isn't a featherweight, it is by no means heavy, and responds well when I really want to move.

Overall I have been extremely happy with this bike. The 29-inch wheels are awesome - they roll over everything and are really fast. I don't work for bikesdirect or anything, I'm just someone who wanted to get back into riding and have been really happy with this choice. If you want a great value on a 29er hardtail, this is it.

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Bike Setup:   stock, except for a Race Face Deus XC stem and Tioga MX comp platforms. Came with WTB NanoRaptors, which I really like.

Submitted by ccearth a Weekend Warrior from sierraville, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    good quality - looks cool

Bottom Line:
got this off bikesdirect for $595 and it is great. i'm 6'6" and read this forum alot to try to figure out whether to get the bike. then when i did it was too small and i nearly freaked out. instead i bought a longer seatpost (see link below) and now the bike fits great. a pretty rad bike for $600. get some.

Favorite Trail:   emigrant

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Bike Setup:   21"

Submitted by bakerade a Weekend Warrior from Palm Bay, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    PRICE$$$$$$$, nice components, more impressive paint job than expected. Motobecane is shifting from obscurity to a legit name, so there's some more confidence in riding one these days. I'm obsessed with working on bikes so it coming needing assembly was a plus for me.

Weaknesses:    nice bike, but i feel like im going to have to baby it because of no frame warranty (covers only DEFECTS, not cracks or bends from actual riding... at least thats how i interpreted the language). But, the frames are made by the same people that make the Trek, Fuji, ect frames (Kinesis), so it'll probably hold up to anything i can do to it in a state as flat as florida.

Bottom Line:
It's a 29er. It's made out of good parts, even the frame. It's quite affordable. It looks nice. It handles nice. I'm a 6'4", 175lbs, 19y/o and I always looked and felt cramped and too big on a 26" bike, so this move is really a breath of fresh air for me.

I havent't gotten this bike respectably dirty yet, I've just managed to get it set up just how i want it, so I'll report back with the trail performance after at least a month of solid riding. But i can already tell from riding around the neighborhood, through lawns, over garbage, across drainage culverts, up curbs, over children, through road work notorious for destroying car suspension, shattering windows, making stationwagons catch sweet air, this bike is going to be good.

Favorite Trail:   Grapefruit (South Shore) Trail

Purchased At:   BikesDirect

Similar Products Used:   First 29er, but Giant Rincon, Specialized Hardrock Comp, Trek 4300 Special Edition

Bike Setup:   21" frame, matte black (could have gone with the 19", but thats my tendency for things a size too small), NanoRaptors, 60mm stem and handlebar salvaged off of my 90mph minivan struck Rincon (i dont really dig the loooong riser stems that always come on bikes my size, the shorter the better control, and the old handlebar somehow survived unscratched too so i put it on for a more home-like feel), swapped out glossy black headset spacers for matte black spacer, busted off the fleckers, matte black cateye 3-led light, 2 pocket black specialized saddle bag, Bell super-blinky tail light for not getting clipped by cars while riding my totally blacked-out bike with no reflectors at night.

otherwise, its stock.

id recommend changing the stem if its too long for your liking. and the cheapo pedals are the next part to hit the garage floor as soon as i order some decent platforms. Slime tubes (extra thick in 29ers if they exist...) on order soon too. the grass has thorns

Submitted by Dominic Libby a Cross Country Rider from Milton

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Price! Great frame. Ride quality. Spot on geometry. Disc only. Fits 80mm or 100mm travel forks without any real handling changes. Durable. Allows plenty of space for suspension fork to fit under down tube(knobs won't hit). Color, cable guides(3 disc for line on top tube), accepts traditional components. Made by one of the largest frame manufacturers(Kinesis) in the world.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
*Please note this was a custom build from a stock frame.
This was my first 29er I built 2-3 years ago from a frame I bought brand new out of the box on eBay. With shipping it was $125. You can't beat that. What I thought would be a semi cheaply made bike frame was just the opposite. A fine frame made in a famous bike frame factory. Excellent alignment, welds and finish. Very durable and nice looking matte black finish. The build was perfect with all threads and facings done within specs. By the time I was finished I had a sub 27 pound 29er hardtail that carves New England single track like it was born there. Amazing climbing ability that totally surprized me no matter if I had a 80mm or 100mm travel fork. Since this build I've ventured to build and ride and test multiple makes of hardtail and full suspension 29ers. They all put my butt back on my Motobecane Fantom 29er. It's like climbing into your own bed and that's a comfort zone I can't give up. This bike rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Moabs trails