Moots Mooto X 29er Hardtail

The Mooto X Rigor is the result of working with big wheeled mountain bikes for over 10 years. Its geometry is refined to the point where balance, speed and versatility all come together to deliver a race-ready ride built for both speed and fun. A traditional hard tail design keeps you connected to the trail and the roots of mountain bike history. The 3/2.5 Pi Tech seamless tube set we have selected delivers a smooth yet responsive ride in all conditions. Cross country riding, racing and 24 hours efforts all easily fall onto the shoulders of the Mooto X. Set it up as a normal cross country bike with multiple gears or go the route of slider drop outs and a single gear for a minimalistic approach to flying down your favorite ribbon of trail. Intended use: 29?? wheels for the cross country rider or racer

Submitted by endoguy a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2012

Strengths:    The ride is smooth and forgiving. The frame has the lightness and rigidity of carbon with a bit more give than steel. I've been on a full suspension bike for the past 15 years and I love the feeling of pressing on the pedal and accelerating without lag. The quality of workmanship is unreal. The frame is esthetically pleasing to look at as well as to ride! Added plus: It won't rust!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great riding bike!! If one wants a 29'r hardtail that will last, this is an excellent choice!

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   1990 Specialized Rockhopper. Currently own a Ibis Mojo and Intense spider

Bike Setup:   XO & X9 sram 2X10 (which I like!!), 100 mm Fox RL terralogic fork,

Submitted by seattle43 a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2011

Strengths:    New frame design for MootoX YBB provides better stand over clearance, and tire clearance for 29er wheels. Titanium may be older technology, yet it's lasting, unique and provides a great feel on the trails. YBB mechanism has been around for year, yet with the 29 wheels, the 1 1/2 of travel provides the best of both worlds being that the bike reacts like a hardtail, yet is compliant on long rides.

Bottom Line:
Not the latest technology, yet proven reliability and with new frame design...I've had more comments about how great the bike looks. I had a Specialized Epic Carbon 29er and loved the bike, yet the MootoX YBB actually responds quicker in tight turns, and climbs better! A long term bike that won't lose its appeal.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Cartecay

Similar Products Used:   Ride TI road bike and enjoy the unique look and comfort and best of all, knowing that "when" I go down, the bike will still be in one piece.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR Trail, Stan's Crest w/ DT Swiss 240 hubs. With pedals and cages: 24 lbs for size 18 frame.

Submitted by mootsboy a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2011

Strengths:    High quality craftsmanship. I love the feel of the Ti frame. Stiff and forgiving at the same time. Just look at the welds.

Weaknesses:    Price. But it should pay for itself in time. I think it is actually a value, considering it will be my last bike.

Bottom Line:
Is it possible for a bike to improve with age? I have never been more comfortable on a bike than with my Moots, and I've been mountain biking for twenty years. I can't imagine wanting to ride anything else. My riding improved 100% when I switched to this bike. It may have been partly due to my switch to tubeless 29 wheels, but this frame has a great feel to it. Much more comfy and responsive than the aluminum and steel bikes I had before.

Favorite Trail:   Watershed

Similar Products Used:   Specialized SWorks.

Bike Setup:   King hubs. Stans NoTubes. SRAM XO. Moots bar and Post. Fox fork.

Submitted by mgermon a Racer from Lincoln, VT

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Weaknesses:    Hey one update to my 2007 post. My first generation Reba (2007, 80mm, 38 mm rake) finally died, so I just got a 2011 Reba (100mm, 46 mm rake), and the death wobble problem is solved! I say YES to 100mm forks on this bike. Also - I go through about 1 YBB Slider per year.

Bottom Line:
This bike is just as good as when I first bought it. I would definitely do it all over again, even with all the carbon around now, it's fast, timeless, and a blast to ride.

Favorite Trail:   the one that never ends

Bike Setup:   lots of upgrades since original purchase

Submitted by ajcrider a Cross Country Rider from Midwest

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    Ride quality, looks, simplicity of design, resale value

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Moots is tricky as not many of their dealers have inventory on hand so it's necessary to rely on message boards and magazine reviews. Given the cost, it was tempting to pick up the latest carbon 29'er with high end parts, but after assembling and riding the YBB 29'er I couldn't be happier. The YBB takes the edge of the big hits and the feeling of Ti is unmatched. If you're on the fence, take the plunge it's worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Rode an Ibis softail many years ago. This bike is in a category of it's own.

Bike Setup:   XTR with Fox

Submitted by Tedsports a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    Having been a hartail rider for the past 20 years, I was aprehensive about the ybb. I don't know why I didn't buy it earlier! It sucks up just enough without losing any efficiency. The bike climbs great, and I found it to be extremely nimble even in tight singletrack. The frame is beautifully crafted, and it's the most durable, resilient metal on the planet.

Weaknesses:    The ybb frame is a little stout, but you don't notice the weight when you're riding it.

Bottom Line:
Being 6'4" and 200 lbs, everyone told me I needed to get rid of my 26er and step up to the bigger wheels. My first ride on the Moots MootoX ybb was undeniably the most enjoyable ride I've had in 20 years of riding. Besides the fact that the bike made everything so enjoyable, I cleared areas of typical difficulty with ease. Rock gardens, sink holes, mud, snow,super technical sections didn't matter. This bike is almost like cheating. I couldn't be happier!

Purchased At:   Moots

Similar Products Used:   Merlin XLM, Merlin Mountain, Rocky Mountain Ti-Bolt

Bike Setup:   Hayes Stroker Ace, Reba Race, Crossmax 29er wheels, Full XTR

Submitted by Duratai a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2010

Strengths:    Titanium - perfected. Perfect welds, spot-on geometry. Light, fast, stiff. The frame builds-up without compromise. Quality is so high - it's the last bike you'll need to buy.

Weaknesses:    You will need a second mortgage to pay for it. You can't lock it up anywhere. Stiff. Quality is so high - it's the last bike you'll need to buy.

Bottom Line:
Moots has been building 29ers over a decade and this frame is a reflection of that experience and know-how. As long as you get the right frame size for your body - the geometry and ride are perfectly dialed. The build quality from Moots is outstanding and if Made-in-the-USA still means something, then Moots is helping define it. If you're in the market for a new 29er - and I'm guessing that may be a reason you're reading these reviews - mark my words, you will not go wrong with Moots. The company has soul, something the big bike builders have lost. Sure, you're not getting the latest marketing hoopla carbon fiber batman gizmo of a frame, but you're still investing getting a top-notch quality product. And that's what it is really - an investment. Every moots frame gets built in the same small factory in the mountains of Colorado. Each frame is built by real cyclists, by hand. They can build a bike and test it literally in their own back yard.

(Ok ok, not that frames built in China aren't built by real cyclists as well - I mean, I'm sure those communist factory workers ride bikes more than we do, but I'm talking about real honest to goodness mountain-bikers, racers, and true cyclophiles at Moots, people who live and breathe bikes).

From the factory, the frame can be built-up without any compromise. Parts fit "right" the first time: seatpost slides smoothly, headset & BB install perfectly square. Frame is spot-on straight.

Everyone has an opinion on Ti. Some will talk about flex and compliance and twisting and bending. This is not your typical-ti frame. Make no mistake - this one is stiff. That's what she said. The Moots rigor is much stiffer than previous titanium bikes I've owned (Litespeed, Mongoose, Ibis). I'm reviewing the "Rigor" model, the frame without the little 1" shock on the seatstay (also known as YBB). But, when using a Moots titanium lay-back seatpost in combination with this frame, you get back that ounce of suspension and the ride is platinum.

This frame is perfect for someone who loves to climb or race. Without rear suspension, it's still a capable descender in the right hands, but not a downhill-racer (that should be obvious). Don't expect to be bombing down Whistler on this bike.... but you sure as heck could climb it!

Headtube angle is not too slack, so you can easily run a 100mm fork without issue. I refuse to say that, "29ers roll over anything." It's simply not true. Sure they ride smoother, possibly faster, just as well in the technical as 26er's, but c'mon - they do NOT "roll over anything". We've got plenty of rocky trails here in CO that'll test that "roll-over" theory and break it like a bad wind. A good fork up-front will do wonders on the technical stuff, so being able to go 100mm (or even more?) on a hardtail like the Moots can really push the envelope of what a 29er will indeed "roll-over." 29er geometry isn't for everyone, but if the shoe fits... But I digress...

In all honesty, there's little to complain about, and much to rave about. When I ride a bike at this level, whatever complaints I may have are so minor, I'm almost ashamed to bring them up. But this is an mtbr review after all - so here you go, me being shameless:

1) Expensive. Holy #@%! - I can't believe I paid this much for a frame! At this price you could buy a top of the line build-kit PLUS a solid frame, Plus a trip to MOAB... But I suppose Ti is only getting more expensive, and with rising inflation, you'll never get a Ti frame at this quality for less than right now.
2) Stand-over. This again is a personal thing. Moots doesn't ad much slope to the top-tube, so unless you ride an 18" or smaller frame (I'm riding a 21"), stand-over may be an issue.
3) You will need a +5mm crown race if you use a fork (like the Fox F29) so that your fork has adequate frame/fork crown clearance. You can build up the bike without it, even ride it just fine, but for security sake - it's best to have one installed less you swing your front end 90 degrees or more. That front fork rebound adjuster can swing and ding your frame.
4) Tire clearance. It won't handle a 2.35" tire without some rub. I've tried a few tires and it seems to me that 2.2" is a comfortable fit.
5) You'll feel a bit pretentious riding around in public on a Moots.

If you're committed to the 29er ride, this is about a solid of a hardtail as you can buy. Aside from the price, you can't go wrong. So, there you have it - 4 chilis for value, but 5 chilis for overall.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'll ride today.

Purchased At:   On-Line

Similar Products Used:   Demo'ed a Haro Mary, Niner M.C.R., Cannondale 29er

Bike Setup:   Fox F29 100mm up front, XT / XTR groupo mix. Mavic TN-719 hoops. Crossmark rubber. Chris King bearings. Moots Ti layback seat post.

Submitted by Knobby4me a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    Relatively supple and fast.

Weaknesses:    People oogle over it

Bottom Line:
I waited a year to post to get the new bike bias from preventing a totally honest post. This thing is mad fun and has tremendous speed and ride quality. I looked at a carbon option but decided on Ti for a better 'feel' ride. I got it in spades.

This thing is expensive but honestly the best bike I've ridden. I use it for endurance races and the slight flex of the Ti is great for hours in the saddle.

I will say however that after riding it as SS for 6 months I geared it for a few races and didn't like it as much. I think it performs at its best when out of the saddle accelerating on one gear. On contrary, I built a SS Sir9 and after a season I geared it and think that bike is better geared. I looked at the YBB version but after testing and riding the hard tail I don't think the soft tail is needed. Personal preference, I know, the rear end has enough flex that the ride stays smooth. I also didn't want to lose any accelerating power.

The MootoX is my go-to ride and anyone on the fence about this ride vs what's out there in exotic materials will not be disappointed. It's almost silly to rate a 5 for value but I know that my other bikes will come and go and the MootoX will live long in the stable. There's a lot of value in that.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods

Purchased At:   Cartecay Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Sir9,Dambala,

Bike Setup:   Single Speed with Paragon sliders, King/Arch wheels, Marta SL

Submitted by RobPaterson a Cross Country Rider from Muskegon Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Fast and efficient! Beautiful build and welds! The titanium is amazing!

Weaknesses:    Had to watch the crown on my fox fork rub on my frame before doing some research and learning that I needed a +5mm or +7mm baseplate to give it the adequate clearance. This should have been common enough info that it was caught in the build process. Not really a weakness as this is common for 29er geometry, but they should make that known to buyers!

Bottom Line:
This bike is strong, light and fast! I love my Ventana (read my 2006 review) and would never trade it for anything especially on moderately aggressive terrain...but I find that my moots is so quick and efficient that I have a hard time not choosing it when pulling a bike from my small stable.

Using less energy and getting more speed, I can ride much longer. The only downside is that I have a pretty aggressive saddle and it takes me longer to break my backside in at the start of each season riding this!

This bike was build specifically for adventure racing, where there is 70 miles of riding as one discipline of the 24 hour event, and the bike has to be used for everything (road to single track) and for that it is perfect! I just grab it way more for a bit of everything because it is so versatile.

The only other thing I want to say is that I found a local moots dealer who sold me this (as they do with all of their moots frames) virtually for cost (literally $700 less than the next lowest price I found). Normally I would treat that info as treasure...and while I am glad to have received a great price, I must say that after trying for six weeks to get this shop to put a quote together for a $3k parts set that I was buying immediately (and they couldn't be bothered to take the hour to do the work and I had to go elsewhere) I will never buy from or recommend them ever again!

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   Authorized Dealer

Similar Products Used:   All my other bikes are different...so I guess I would say my ventana El Salt for same quality and my old gary fisher Mt. Tam because that was my first 29er.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Thomson, King, Magura, Fox...best of the best all the way on this beauty!

Submitted by csb_d a Racer from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Strengths:    Perfect welds, perfect geometry. Handles great, good BB clearance. YBB takes the edge off on long rides.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for a Ti single speed, chain-stays could be a bit shorter

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks a#%! Very comfortable, descends well and climbs like a goat. In two years I have never dropped the chain even with the 1" of travel. Moots quality is top notch. This bike will be in my stable for a very, very long time.

Favorite Trail:   Cascade

Purchased At:   ProCycling

Similar Products Used:   Spot Brand 29er, Redline Monocog Flight

Bike Setup:   Single Speed YBB, Industry9 wheels, King HS, Hope Mono Mini brakes, XTR cranks, Blacksheep rigid and Fox F29 forks

Submitted by EGORDON71 a Cross Country Rider from PENSACOLA,FLORIDA,USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2008

Strengths:    Light,yet durable. YBB soaks up trail bumps for smooth ride, but stiff enough to run SS with absolutly no bob..
Negotiate techical trails with ease, hugs the corners like its on rails. Quicker to get up to speed more than any other niner ive ridden.

Bottom Line:
Out of all the bikes Ive ridden this one is the only one that has left me with a perminant grin. As far as niners this bike is unbeleivable.

Favorite Trail:   OAK MOUNTAIN BIRMINGHAM,AL

WTB ROCKET V SLT SADDLE
22.1 LBS

Submitted by bringthemud a Cross Country Rider from Redwood City, CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2008

Strengths:    I will just reiterate what all the other reviews have said. This bike is a piece of art. Beautifully crafted and engineered. The lines are clean and simple. It climbs like a dream and rides the flat like a speed demon. With the help and coaching of my LBS, I built this bike up myself (thanks, Charles!) so I got an up close and personal view of every part of this bike. It is awesome. The guys at Moots clearly take pride in each build. It shows!

Weaknesses:    If I ever find one I'll let you all know, but don't hold your breath.

Bottom Line:
I ride like a girl...'cause I am one. I am not the fastest hillclimber and so was a little hesitant to go 29, but then I met the Mooto-X. I now fly up stuff I couldn't clean before. It is amazing. I was also a little worried about handling as I was so used to my plush Epic. Well, gotta tell you, it took me one ride to get over my Epic and be an all Moots girl. The YBB combined with the 29" tires is all you need. It flows over the tech stuff and screams on the flats. I positively love this bike. Is it pricey? Sure but so are other high-end bikes. This one will never make you regret one penny spent on it.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er. Previously rode an Epic Comp, decked out in SRAM X.0. I loved my Epic so my Moots had some big shoes (tires?) to fill.

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.0 rear D and shifters, XTR crankset and front D, Formula K24 brakes, Mavic C29SSMAX wheelset, Maxxis Ignitors, Chris King Pretty and Strong No Thread headset

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    A sheer beautiful piece of art, rides like a dream, the bike handles so well under all conditions. I think it can even move thru tight technical stuff about as well as a 26er, and if its rocky then even better.

Weaknesses:    can't find one

Bottom Line:
This bike is in a class by itself. The moment I got on it I thought this is how a bike should feel, and even though it is not custom sizing, the ride is so smooth and even. I blasted downhill the other day and the thing just about floated, cornering is superb and it picks up speed way faster than my other 29er. I love to ride it and would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to stop buying and selling bikes, settle down and be happy now.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Raven, Litespeed Toccoa, Dean Colonel Ti SS, Santa Cruz Blur, Titus Racer x, Wily SS 29er

Bike Setup:   Xtr groupo, DT Swiss 240's on Stan's 29ers, Moots stem, post, bars, Fizik Aliante saddle, Wtb nanoraptors

Submitted by Andy Jensen a Cross Country Rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Strengths:    Rides the tech like a dream. Quiet, predictable, beautiful to look at. You just want to ride it. No full susp hassles. Feels like a great investment.

Weaknesses:    Not a full susp - so it is a bit slower going down rocky hills. But I'm old and going fast down is soo yesterday for me.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is expensive, but the ride is so good that in five years you'll have ridden it so much you won't care. Handles incredibly on the single track, bumps up through any technical spots, and is very comfortable to ride. I feel confident on it. 29" wheels can be tough in the tight technical terrain, but this bike handles so well that it increases my confidence to try and ride everything in sight. I like the zero maintainance. I liket he predictable shifting. I like the quiet. My old 26" YBB I always felt a bit too pogo-ey, but this bike I feel no pogo effect. Riding a 20" with Moots laidback post: I am 6'2", 200#, 33" inseam. I ride steep hills in Colorado to punish myself for sins in a previous life.

Favorite Trail:   White Rim in a day

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   26" YBB and a Rigor-Mootis, Blur, Willits 29'r, Wily SS 29'r, Merlin Cross

Bike Setup:   XTR full build, Moots seat post, Reba, Mavic rims, Kenda tires

Submitted by Nick Fowle a Cross Country Rider from Wendover, UK

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2007

Strengths:    Great handling in all conditions, fantastic build quality, zero mainteneance in two years. ( I dont expect too much, I have a 26 SS YBB frame, 8 years of abuse and no dramas with that)

Weaknesses:    er.. struggling to think of any

Bottom Line:
Can't fault the ride or the concept, just wish we could get tires over here in the UK. Massive fan of Moots bikes (I have four) will never sell any of them they last forever and never get old. All the new technolgies come and go.. softail.. gotta love it ...

Favorite Trail:   Kap Lung, Hong Kong

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Mootsybb SS and geared, Vamootsybb, Titus Motolite, Santacruz SL, Blur etc etc

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR
Chris King HS
Chris King hubs with Stans ZTR rims
Easton Bar
Time ATAC
Hope brakes
Moots stem and post

Moots Mooto X Single Speed Custom

[IMG]http://www.foromtb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3180562&d=1355623702[/IMG][IMG]http://www.foromtb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3180561&d=1355623701[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.foromtb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3180562&d=1355623702[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.foromtb.com/attachment.php?attachm ... Read More »

Paid Spam: MOOTS Mooto X YBB 29er Frameset & 29er Parts

MOOTS Mooto X YBB 29er Frameset & 29er Parts [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=78773]MOOTS Mooto X YBB 29er Frameset & 29er Parts - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Moots '12 Mooto X 29 vs Lynskey '12 Ridgeline VF

Looking to build up a new 1 x 10 ride. Anyone have an opinion between these two bikes? Both have the 68 mm BB shell and 44 mm Inset headtube I was looking for. Any reason in spend another $1k on the Moots? Much difference in stiffness or ride quality? Anyone ridden both? :skep: I am mainl ... Read More »

Wanted: '12 Moots Mooto X Ybb 19" or FUNK La Ruta Large frame or complete bike

I know its a long shot but I figured I give it a whirl here first...Here is what I'm looking for in order of preference... 1) Funk Cycles La Ruta frame ( or complete bike) frame size large. 2) 2012 MOOTS w/ taper headtube press-in BB 29er frame ( maybe headset/fork too) in a 19", I'm open to b ... Read More »

Mooto x RSL 2012 and XTR 2 x10

G'day, I recently ordered a Mooto X RSL and have subsequently heard that shimano 2 x 10 XTR cranks with 28/40 tooth chainrings are not compatible [I know adapters are required for the pressfit 30 BB to allow a 24mm crank to be used] meaning you have to use the XTR 'trail' cranks. So I'm wonder ... Read More »