Misfit Psycles diSSent Frame 29er Hardtail

4.86/5 (29 Reviews)

• Disc and V-Brake ONLY
  • 6061 Aluminum
  • Corrected for axle to crown of 470mm (approx 90mm suspension allowing for 80mm or 100mm)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by CuzinMike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, yet smoother than aluminum has any right to be. Great stand-over clearance. Sliding dropouts are simple, yet effective and stay put after you tighten them. Climbs like a rocket, yet not too twitchy on the up DiSSents...

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily (if that matters to you). No tapered headtube option (yet). Long-ish chainstays make getting the front wheel over obstacles take a little more effort.

Bottom Line:
    This is my 3rd 29er, 2nd singlespeed and first bike I've built from the frame up. I purchased my XL on closeout for $250 as it was at the end of a production run. I guess the DiSSent is kind of old school now, as it doesn't have the short chainstays and slack headtube that's so popular now, but damn if it doesn't work like magic for XC. I run mine rigid with an On-One carbon fork and it's as compliant as I could ask a rigid bike to be, freight-train stable and maneuverable enough to still be fun, though going fast is what it really wants to do. The bottom bracket is a little low so you have to watch for pedal strikes, but the frame really offers an "in the bike" feel that makes it so easy to carve corners. I've been riding mine as much as possible for 8 months, and it's my favorite bike I've owned in 20+ years of riding. Even for $500 bucks I think this frame is built to last and a good value, but for $250 it was a no-brainer. Yeah, steel is real, but when aluminum frames ride this good, who really cares?

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Psyclestore.com

Bike Setup:   On-One carbon fork, Velocity P-35 wheels, Hope hubs, Raceface crank, Surly cog, Avid BB7 brakes, Cane Creek S-40 headset, a mix of Ritchey and Easton stem, seatpost, etc.

Submitted by Flat Ark

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff but somehow very smooth - handling - plenty of standover - good climber

Weaknesses:    Not a huge fan of the sliding dropouts on this frame but admittedly they do work. I've definitely had worse setups but ultimately I prefer dropouts with limit screws such as Paragon sliders.

Bottom Line:
    Thanks to the diSSent I am now a reformed bike Ho!!!! My wife says YAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

I have been through A LOT of bikes over the last 3 years or so "up to 5 per year" and while I would find characteristics in most of those bikes that I liked each one of them always had something that was just missing. I've had several Salsas and they were great climbers and motored on the flats but just didn't seem to turn very well. I always felt disconnected from what the tires were doing beneath me. Fishers handled amazing with their G2 geometry but I always felt like I was pushing a wheelbarrow because the front wheel seemed so far out front and I felt as though I sat too low behind the front axle. Had a Vassago Jabberwocky and it was sooooo smooth and was the best climbing bike that I have owned (including the Misfit) but I could never get the front end to stick and crashed seemingly every other ride due to the front end suddenly/unexpectedly washing out mid-corner. Had a Niner One 9 and although I can't say much bad about it I just felt the bike bike to be too neutral feeling and uninspiring. Forward to the diSSent. My first ride on this bike was a revelation! FINALLY I found exactly what I had been searching for! The bike climbs and motors fantastic! I ride rigid and it is an awesome feeling when bombing a rough and rooty downhill and at the bottom you look back to see that you have dusted a guy on a FS whose frame cost more than my entire bike! :) Or you are all over the back wheel of that same guy on those downhills. Where this bike really shines though is through the corners! I NEVER feel disconnected from what the tires are doing. I can fly through loose corners and I don't have to worry about the tires losing traction. The geometry just makes them stick like glue. I guess what I am getting at is the bike is confidence inspiring to say the least. I still find myself looking at the latest/greatest carbon, Ti or steel SS frames but for once I can turn away because I'm confident there isn't a better riding frame out there. At least not until Peter comes out with a carbon version! :)

Submitted by Bob Baker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Strengths:    Looks Awesome! Turns head with unique style. Tracks exceptionaly well in tight trails. Handles better than any setup I owed so far.

Weaknesses:    Got to build it your self.

Bottom Line:
    I've raced cross country for a little over a year now. I bought a single speed thinking I wanted to train on it riding local hills. I've fallen hard for single speeds now. In Texas, the SS Cat and Age is way to open for my age being CAT 2-3 Age 1-99 on single speeds. I'm tempted to ride it, because I love my diSSent AL Singlespeed 29er so much.

My Local ride is a max 100 feet climb at a 4-5% grade. It handles technical with ease. Big steps in the Texas Hill country are made easy on the Misfit. Coming down those steps is just as fun. On Flat twisty tracks it handles like a 26er. You'll soon be setting personal records with ease, because of the confidence you'll gain with it's handling. The low BB and short wheelbase will have you out riding your geared buddies in no time.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill

Duration Product Used:   18 Months

Purchased At:   www.psyclestore.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Trail SL 3

Bike Setup:   36T Chain Ring, 16T Cog, Maxxis Ignitor 29X2.1, Alex AX24 Rims,

Submitted by extremedave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    Handling, ride, speed.

Weaknesses:    Climbing, sizing.

Bottom Line:
    Bought the bike used as a fully built SS, Large ALC frame, 100mm Reba. I had planned on doing a complete build on either a soul cycle Dillenger, On One Inbred or a Canfield. The Dissent was probably fourth but I couldn't pass up the deal and I'm glad I jumped on it!
    The bike flat rips. It's impossible to go slow. Even on a rough DH run, the bike rides amazingly well and I regularly out run my FS (26) buddies. But the best part is the handling. It just carves, I still can't get over how stable yet agile it is. Flowing or tight singletrack is what this bike is meant for. As mentioned the ride is impressive for an aluminum frame. It's perhaps not as plush as steel but entirely fine on my old (43) bones.
    The only real negatives are it doesn't climb as well as my old xxix, which had a fairly noodley frame and long stays. Still good, but the rear tire isn't quite as stuck when climbing as some other 29ers. Also sizing is different, at 5.10 I'm between sizes on many bikes but usually wind up medium. Peter recommended large which works, but I am a bit stretched out. I haven't had any real issue with the sliders but I am pretty anal regarding maintenance!
    If you want something different that really does work, I don't think you can go wrong here.

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh XXIX
    GF X-Cal

Bike Setup:   Carbon 685 bar, 80mm stem, wtb silverado, Stan's Arch wheel set, stylo oct cranks, Reba 100mm, saguro rear, ra ra front.

Submitted by superanalog a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    Tough powder coat, easy conversion for geared or single speed, perfect geometry

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    Best $ spent on a mountain frame. Its perfect in so many ways.

Favorite Trail:   All things CAMBR

Purchased At:   Misfit Psycles

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi SOK, Surly Karate Moneky

Bike Setup:   Misfit DiSSent frame, Truvativ stylo cranks, 09 Rock Shox Reeba, assorted leftover parts, WTB wheels.

Submitted by Eses29 a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2012

Strengths:    Super agile, steady, corners like a 6er rolls like a big wheel oughta. I have a 29 caffeine and my DiSsent blows it away. Granted I've built it up for racing but the frame compliments my riding style perfectly; aggressive and quick. Climbing on this thing is radical and with my CK hub this bike practically does the work for me. My overall favorite attribute is the way I feel in the cockpit, it's almost as if I'm riding just behind the front wheel making the control just extraordinary. Definitely an 'in the bike' feel. I ride rigid, and the feedback is outstanding, the frame gives me the confidence to know I can hit any bank, switchback, or singly track roller coaster and purely enjoy the ride without worrying about buckling or catching, super nimble.

Weaknesses:    Nada

Bottom Line:
    Buy it ride it love it. It's not just a bike, it's a lifestyle. Ride on.

Favorite Trail:   Hazard Peak, so far.

Purchased At:   Psyclestore

Similar Products Used:   Cannon caffeine 29 totally different ride tho.

Bike Setup:   Med. frame, Stans Arch rear with Chris King hub, Stans Crest front on American Classic hub with Rock Solid carbon fork, Elixer R front brake, BB5 rear, Stylo SS Crank, SPD clips, race face deus XC stem, monkey lite handles.

Submitted by fatlip11 a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    I am 6'5" and 210 lbs, I bought the XL and it's a great fit. The bike is solid and doesn't flex in the wrong spots but provides a comfortable ride for an aluminum hard tail. It is a confidence inspiring ride that places the rider in the bike... what can I say? It just feels good! Very happy with my decision!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    If you are on the fence for a SS 29er, jump on this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek in GA

Purchased At:   from peter

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Thomson across the top, Stylo OCT crank, BB7 brakes, Stans Flow with WTB Exiwolfs, Answer bars and Manitou Tower fork.

Submitted by JokerSC a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    I like this bike alot. I originally rode it rigid for a year, then early this year I put a reba on it. About 2 months ago I made it rigid again....I don't think I am going to put the Reba back on....I really like the way the bike handles and rides with the rigid fork. Really nimble, no flex, climbs great!

Weaknesses:    None really to mention

Bottom Line:
    Great bike, affordable. Overall, I spend about 50% of my time riding on this bike. My geared bike gets the other love. Great value, great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Kerr Scott Trail System

Purchased At:   Used from a friend

Bike Setup:   Misfit frame and fork, Stans Arch rims with Conti RaceKings. 33 x 18 gearing.

Submitted by PointBoy a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2011

Strengths:    Sliding dropouts with integrated disc mounts, light, well made, looks killer, great geometry, comfortable for an aluminum bike

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
    I'm really enjoying this bike a lot; so much that since I built it I haven't ridden any other bike in my stable which includes a new 29 FS rig. I got the ALC version direct from Misfit with free shipping. I really like the sliding dropouts which make chain adjustment easy. In the future I'd love to see a tapered head tube on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Direct from Misfit

Bike Setup:   SS with Stans SS Wheelset with a Reba RL 100mm Fork.

Submitted by pascale27 a Cross Country Rider from south jersey

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    bang for your buck is off the charts, very nimble, climbs well, awesome geometry

Bottom Line:
    did alot of research and talked to alot of people who ride the diSSent before pulling the trigger. Bought the bike direct from Misfit. The bike is every thing you read above. The frame is stiff but not harsh. Very nimble, climbs like a mtn goat, and decends like a champ. The bike feels as maneuverable as my old Cannondale 26er and compared to my frind's Selma, the diSSent is a much better ride (less harsh and much more agile). The geo of the frame makes you forget your on a 29er, you don't feel perched up onto some tall frame. And you still obviously get all the advantages of the big wheels. I bought the V-brake version of the diSSent (that's the only frame they had in stock in a small). It was only $250 on closeout. Knowing how this rides now, i would gladly cough up the $750 for the ALC version. If you're thinking of getting a 29er frame on a budget go for the $450 version and never look back.

Purchased At:   direct from Misfit

Similar Products Used:   GF X-Caliber, Salsa Selma

Bike Setup:   Misfit diSSent 1x10
    RockShox Reba RL 29
    SLX cranks
    X7 drivetrain
    Avid Juicy 3s
    Bontrager SSR Disc 29 Wheels/525 hubs
    Bontrager 29-2 tires (tubeless)

Submitted by aelandes a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, VA (yes, there's riding here, durnit)

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Came from the Karate Monkey, and I am a 6'4" 220lb slab. That being said, the diSSent frameset knocked 5 pounds off the SS build, the fork doesn't fork me up like the KM did, and it just feels a lot stiffer in and out of the saddle. 2.4 tires fit front and back, sliding dropouts are handy and robust, and the geometry feels tight, but in an oh-so-good way. I think you can get your body around this bike pretty easily when riding the gnar, so I find myself doing fewer over-the-handlebar flips into rocks.

Weaknesses:    Any issues I had with the dropouts were home-mechanic issues. Derp. I guess the bolts are easy to strip out with cheap, loose-fitting tools, so don't over tighten. Lesson learnt.

Bottom Line:
    Yes. Fits big dudes and tall ladies. After riding it, you can tell a lot of care went into fine-tuning the frame, getting the aluminum stuff and light, but keeping it lively. Don't let the aluminum and rigid scare you - it's what most bikes aspire to ride like.

Another diSSent rider said it well - "Yeah, the full suspension is nice and everything, but the diSSent is just such a fun bike to ride." (And she then proceeded run around the parking lot and made the handlebar-jumping-and-swooping motions with her arms).

Point and shoot uphill. Contemplating getting a Fox for the front to make downhills as much fun as the uphills, but I am afraid that I will just put the rigid fork back on it.

ALSO - affordable for the budget-sensitive. And Peter is a JOY. Just send him moose jerky or whatever they eat up in Canada. Listen to what he recommends for the build.

Purchased At:   DIRECT.

Similar Products Used:   Rigid Karate Monkey. Loved that bike, but not looking back.

Bike Setup:   diSSent Frame and Fork, Ardents on Velocity P-35s on White Industry hubs, Raceface Atlas cranks, Surly drive train, Avid Brakes. Wide handlebars, short stem. Other bits to make those bits fit.

Submitted by rob1035 a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, near perfect geometry, impressive ride quality for AL, great pricepoint, no EBB

Weaknesses:    the sliders work, but aren't as easy to adjust as Paragon or Black Cat sliders with adjustment screws built in

Bottom Line:
    This bike climbs very well, rides better than any other AL frame I've ridden (most who ride it assume its steel), and is a great price. Peter really nailed the geometry, as you get the benefits of the big wheels without feeling like a pennyfarthing.

Favorite Trail:   Back Door Trails

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   09 Voodoo Wanga, 07 Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   Misfit FUbar, Misfit stem, Origin8 CF fork, ti seatpost, Misfit hubs w/ Laserdisc rims, Ardent 2.4" up front, Race King 2.2" out back, RF Turbine Cranks, HBC gears, Magura Marta brakes

Submitted by Willyswildride a Weekend Warrior from Guelph, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Welds - these things are a work of art, finish 9raw), Geometry, price point.
    Versatile, you can set them up as rigid, SS or geared.
    I like the company - its small and personalized.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    This is a comfortable, fast rolling, confidence inspiring bike. You would think that a big bike would be hard to throw around, but its the exact opposite. I'd love to try this thing on a pump track.

Other reviews referred to the fact that you sit 'in' the bike instead of 'on' it............. now I now exactly what they were talking about.

If you are looking for a boutique bike on a beer budget, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   For XC - Guelph Lake, Hydrocut, Twin Ponds

Purchased At:   Psyclestore

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 29er. Most of my other bikes are FR.
    Previous Recent 26 inch XC bikes - Rocky Mountain Vertex, Brodie Catalyst, Brodie Dynamo.

Bike Setup:   Medium Misfit AL frame, Marz 44 TST2 120mm fork, 1x10 XT, Stans ZTR355 wheels, Stans Hubs, Kenda Nevegal rubber, Race Face Deus Crank, MRP 1X Guide, Formula RX Brakes, Race Face Evolve Stem, Easton Havoc bars.

Submitted by justinb33905 a Cross Country Rider from fort myers, florida

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    geometry, weight, price

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    This is my 5th mountain bike in about 4 years and the best of the bunch by far! My first 29er was a single speed redline, not bad for an entry level bike but it was definitely holding me back. the diSSent is everything I was hoping it would be - FAST, nimble and FUN as heck! The titanium seatpost helps a lot smoothing out the ride. This thing is a dragster on the flats and a demon climbing!

Favorite Trail:   Alva