Marin Pioneer Trail 29er 29er Hardtail

• Geax Saguaro, 29 x 2.2” Tires

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    Nice frame, decent drivetrain, comfortable, inexpensive!

Weaknesses:    Brakes are kinda cheap-feeling, left crank fell off during a ride, headset is crappy.

Bottom Line:
    I got this bike off of Ebay, new in the box for $430, so I feel like I got a GREAT deal on it. I think it must be a seller who buys REI old stock and resells. Great transaction, free shipping. I'm 6'1", 215, and orderd the 19".

I had trouble installing the fork; I know what I'm doing but there's about a 2mm gap at the base. Finally took it to my LBS and they said I'd installed it correctly, but it's just a bit of a cheap headset. Replacing with a good Cane Creek. The fork itself is not top-of-the-line but it does what it's supposed to do at this point. I like the lockout feature.

I didn't check the crank bolts before I started riding; after a few rides the left crank fell off! Nothing catastrophic thank goodness, and I had the right allen wrench on me to fix it. Tightened it down good and everything seems OK for now.

The brakes are weaker than I though they'd be, I'll probably keep fiddling with the adjustments until I get them right.

The pedals are fine, but I upgraded to some BMX-style flats. More surface area and easier on my old knees.

Enough about the problems...This is a great bike for the money, smooth and fun to ride. It shifts well and feels very stable. I'm enjoying the hell out of it on local trails around Denver and am anxious to get it up in the mountains.

It's not made for flying down Porcupine Rim or anything, but I'm not interested in that kind of riding. For cruising around on trails, mild downhill, and put-putting around the neighborhood, it is a perfect all-around bike. I'm quite pleased with this purchase, love the frame, and plan to continue updgrading components as they wear.

Submitted by Dennis

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Strengths:    Outstanding value for the price. Mine was only $530 on REI, in sale. I red about. 10 miles every other day and am now addicted. It seems bomb proof, shifts smooth and has a great fork with plenty of travel. The tires steam roll everything and the bike has an amazing paint job.

Weaknesses:    Comes with reflectors ;)

Bottom Line:
    Buy it. Please post a better bike in the price range , I dare you.

Submitted by ToT

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth ride
    Shocks are nice and responsive
    Rides Great on and off road
    Aesthetically pleasing
    Feels solid, yet relatively light weight
    Shifts really well
    Great bike for the money compared to the competition

Weaknesses:    Nothing bad I can say really, however, the pedal arm fell off the bike the first day of riding. Turned out the bolt was defective. Bad QC I guess, but not a huge deal
    If you haven't ridden a bike in a while the seat will make your a$$ sore, but even the most expensive bikes have the same issue

Bottom Line:
    This bike rides really well and feels solid. I tried a lot of 29er bikes before I tried this one. Needless to say, after riding this one I knew this was the bike for me. Just seemed better than the competition. I felt like I was riding a more expensive bike than what it was. I always get a lot of compliments when I'm riding around town. So far this bike seems to be a solid ride and works really well in the rugged off road. You will be impressed with this bike. I have had many mountain bikes in the past and in comparison this is the best bike I have owned in this price range. The shifting on this bike is extremely reliable. Very snappy and no weird grinding in between gears like most bikes.