Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er 29er Hardtail

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er '11. 29ER Series: Big wheels equal big speed and big fun, and Marin's 29er series has a bike to suite every rider. From the all-new race bred carbon CXR 29er, smooth riding Pine Mountain or the bang for the buck Bolinas Ridge 29e

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2014

Strengths:    Frame.

Weaknesses:    Front forks, and overall weight of chain set

Bottom Line:
Ok , 6ft 6 guy, need a new bike...this bolinas looks cool and gets me to the position I can ride in for hours...factory stock a little heavy for my liking but hey , new rock shox and chain set is a must to lighten the load....change the forks straight away and you get a bike that handles well ....don't know why they bother putting such crap forks on. Fun bike.not for serious aggressive stuff til you upgrade a few bits....I'm nearly fifty years old and thought to calm down after riding my kona muni mula for many years.....calm down, chill man.....no way .....age is a state of mind....take me to the ridge....bolinas ridge...

Submitted by luis yanez a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    Hi quality, Frame is very solid and stiff. Paint and decals gorgeous. Bike seems light and rides fantastic. I have only done moderate trails so far. Pedals uphill easily.

Weaknesses:    Tectro brakes Take awhile to break in, but once broken in, They work great.

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the buck out there. Paid $425 new including shippung. Very happy with my purchase. Hangs right in there with the Big buck bikes. Much Better than the diamondback and lightyears ahead of the old mongoose.

Favorite Trail:   The Worm, El Paso Tx

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback overdrive, mongoose xr100

Bike Setup:   22" Frame , mech disc, suntour fork.

Submitted by Mark Varona

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    The frame is light and stiff. Rims and tires are nice too.

Weaknesses:    Tektro Brakes were not actually gripping the rotors that much specially on wet conditions.
The front fork is really heavy. It could be the heaviest part of the bike.
Grips had big knobs which gives your hand aches during long rides.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded the DT to the 2013 2x10 XT and it performs very well. very light bike for its price (14kg). i still have to upgrade the front fork.

Submitted by kjlued a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    Nice components for an entry level 29er at this price.
Seems to be well built and very solid.

Weaknesses:    Grips slip (needs locking grips)
Pedals are plastic junk but most bikes that come with pedals come with junk because everyone has a different preference
Seat is a little crappy but better then many stock seats (again most bikes come with crappy seats)
Front fork is junk but does the trick. What do you expect though for a bike in this price range?

Bottom Line:
I paid $499 for this bike new at REI on close out (reg $679)
Personally, I think it is the best bang for the buck and a lot better then Diamond Back Overdrive I had prior to it.
If you want a rock solid bike that wont break the bank and put you on the trails this is a great choice.
I ride mostly moderate to difficult trails in Western NC and the bike does well and gets me the same places just as well as my friends on $3k bikes.

If you have $3k you can spend on bike then certainly get a $3k bike.
But if you are on a budget and need to stay well under $1k then this bike is incredible and you won't be disappointed.

Eventually, I will get a much nicer, probably full suspension 29er but until then, this one makes me smile every time I get on it.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont and Bent Creek

Duration Product Used:   50+ miles a week

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back Overdrive

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock other then seat

Submitted by JamesEitz

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    First serious MTB.

Is working great for me!

Weaknesses:    Stock Tires were not aggressive enough for me. Also had to change out the stock cranks, one of the arms got stripped out.

Bottom Line:
LOVE my bike !

Submitted by nwebber19 a Cross Country Rider from englewood, co, usa

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Strengths:    It looks pretty, and will catch air nicely.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy! It's not a bike but a tank. It will not roll over anything, but through it. the brakes are sketchy at best and the front fork can't handle out of seat pedaling. I had to max the pre load to get it stiff enough to handle tech trails.

Bottom Line:
its a great beginers bike, or a great hill trainer.

Favorite Trail:   three sisters

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by nocturnal12 a Cross Country Rider from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent frame and build quality that you can expect from Marin. Very basic, but functional components. Perfect for upgrading when components break or needs replacement. The front fork by SR Suntour is nothing close to acceptable and heavy and should be replaced at sometime, but then the bike is priced accordingly.

Weaknesses:    Tektro crap that came with bike.

Bottom Line:
The bike handles well and looks great. However, the clearance for the rear wheel is tight and will limit putting anything bigger than Conti Race King that comes with the bike. Also, the front derailer is attached with the problem solver on seat tube, which tends to move sideways after few hundred miles and needs adjusted when on trail. Overall, a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Bike Setup:   BB7 with SD7, Thudbuster LT, Brooks B17, Ergon GR2, SPD540, Front - Schwalbe Racing Ralph/ Rear- WTB Vulpine

Submitted by kopper8 a Weekend Warrior from Tel Aviv

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame, wonderful riding experience, just fun to ride it

Weaknesses:    Breaks, not good enough

Bottom Line:
A great deal, feels like a million dollar bike, a huge leap from my me previouds 26" bike, Front suspension is really good, the 29" wheels are the right size for people around 6 foot tall or more

Favorite Trail:   Tel Aviv coast line