Marin Alpine Trail 29er 29er Hardtail

4.22/5 (23 Reviews)

Marin Alpine Trail's big wheels equal big speed. Every Marin 29er is designed to elevate your ride. Combining Marin's proprietary 29er geometry with the inherent qualities of larger 29" wheels, every bike offers a stable ride that rolls over roots, rails

Submitted by itskier a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2013

Strengths:    Components value for price paid are better than the competition. Drive train brakes, fork, all higher end compared to others at this price point. I bought the 2013 version at the 2014 model turnover time for about a 30% discount. Shopped around and around almost too much at a bunch of local shops and the Marin came out the winner by a good margin.

Weaknesses:    Higher end components would push this past 1k real fast

Bottom Line:
I have been smashing this bike around for a couple months. I am very happy with it, the frame and wheels and stock tires all make for a very snappy and agile 29er hard tail. I climb some very steep rocky front range trails it rolls on with your momentum very well yet can make a quick turn as needed. It has weathered some heavy drops, that I landed hard on and just keep rolling. To have a fork with preload, lockout and rebound adjustments for this price is hard to find. Seems to work fine. I would highly recommend if you can find one.

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Kona

Submitted by Chris Broad

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    The weight is reasonable and the brakes and drive train work well it is a good value 29er

Weaknesses:    nothing apparent

Bottom Line:
I started with a Marin Shore Trail this bike is in a different league

Submitted by OutThere

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2013

Strengths:    the parts, pretty much anything NONE Marin, the Shimano components, the Fox fork etc.

Weaknesses:    The Frame, duh.

Bottom Line:
Frame cracked w/in 6 months of using, Marin refused warranty. Back to the big red S I guess (Specialized)

Submitted by John OBannon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    Feel solid, gears shift smoothly, really like the 29'er tiires. It really seems to climb well.

Weaknesses:    I changed out the seat, and put on better pedals. The front shock adjustments are clunky, except for the lockout.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price that I paid for it (compared to the others in that price range). Fun to ride and makes it my old '89 Rockhopper Comp seem like a kid's toy. I ride mainly very rocky, rough , and infrequently travelled Montana mountain roads. Since I don't have alot of experience with other bikes, all I can say is it works very well and I'm really impressed with the brakes. However, it would have been nice to have at tried out a bike with a higher end fronr shock to compare it to. The shock adjustments (except for the lockout feature) don't seem to dramatically change the shocks operation. I have yet to bottom out the shock, which may say something about the way I ride, but I do go over quite rugged rocks and bumps at moderate speeds. I didn't have the finances at this time for a higher end shock, but the bottom line is that I certainly enjoy the riding this bike.

Submitted by Brich a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    Solid frame
Brakes work great
Decent form for price
Style

Weaknesses:    Super wide handle bar

Bottom Line:
I've ridden about 50 miles of trail on the bike and have found it to be surprisingly great. It handles well and climbs very well. The brakes slow you down well when going down hill. I find the saddle with biking shorts to be adequate. I paid 630 for the bike new on close out at rei. Best new 29er for the price for sure you get the bottom of quality components from shimano, which just work well. If they break you have saved money on the sticker price to replace them with higher grade stuff.

I highly recommend this bike!

Purchased At:   Rei

Submitted by Yaroslav Voytovych a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Continental Race King 2.0 tires - yeah, these work
Brakes - very good, as for mechanic brakes

Weaknesses:    Frame - cracked within 1 year
Saddle - the worst saddle I ever used
Fork - very poor performance, than failed
Grips - slips when you ride
Hubs - poor
Rims - weak
All the drivetrain - poor

Bottom Line:
The frame cracked. Marin refused to replace the cracked frame. That's the story.

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Handles great, comfortable position, good components for price point.

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy, grips, pedals.

Bottom Line:
Great bang for the buck. Components are as good or better than any other brand at this price point. Also has a decent Rock Shox shock when compared to others. Most others were Suntour and NONE had rebound adjustment. Smooth shifting and brakes work great. I pedal, it goes. No complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Whoops

Submitted by tc054 a Weekend Warrior from Noble,Ok US

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2011

Strengths:    Handles great, fast, very good components, awesome for the big guys- 6'6 230.

Weaknesses:    could use a better tires and seat

Bottom Line:
upgraded from a GT Aggressor 1.0. Unbelievable difference. Made the trail 80% easier and enjoyable. A+

Favorite Trail:   Clear Bay Gold

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports

Submitted by anthma a Weekend Warrior from Ooltewah, TN

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Great entry level 29er! Just a few upgrades make it better!
Ruby SL, brake levers, clipless pedals, cranks, stem and bars and grips. Also made single speed!

Weaknesses:    Still kinda heavy- lighter hubs/rims would help

Bottom Line:
Good value bike. Tall people should love!

Favorite Trail:   TNT Trail

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Ruby SL Fork, brake levers, clipless pedals, cranks, stem and bars and grips. Also made single speed!

Submitted by bigwheelie a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Geometry perfect for my build and style of riding, frame (strong) not overly heavy and very worthy of upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Stock Forks, Cranks, wheelset, bars are poor quality but expected on a $800.00 29er hardtail

Bottom Line:
Best riding 29er I ever rode, each 29er I've owned has been a slightly better geometry with the Alpine Trail 29er being the best, it doesn't have the Frame twist that the $2,000 Marin Nail Trail has. A friend owns one and we both have noticed this. Despite Recon Forks as opposed to the Fox on the Nail Trail for $200.00 less I feel I have a better crank set, wheelset, bar, pedals and a bike only a few ounces heavier. Fast, smooth with great natural cornering ability and great predictable trail manners. It may be an Alpine Trail 29er but it is a unique creation with my hand picked components. Much better than the showroom version and Remember that this frame is a well kept secret of being a good riding frame that is worthy of upgrading, some of the welds aren't as beautifully done as some more expensive bikes but do not hurt the strength and rigidity of frame.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Marin Palisades trail 29er (bad geometry) Giant XTC 29er, Haro Ally SS 29er.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Recon Gold forks, Stylo Team 3.3 Cranks, Easton EC 90 low rise bar, Stans ZTR ARCH Wheelset, SRAM X7 hubs, SPD 540 Pedals SLX Front Der, SLX shifters, XT Rear Der. Continental Race King 2.2's tires front and rear

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Beverly, Ma. USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Seems to have good quality Components compared to last 29er. This also seems to roll better and I just like the overall feel of this bike. I tried this bike to compare it to my specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Disc. and it came up a winner. I personally like the shocks, stering and Brakes better. I'm 5'11" and about 215lbs and ride as much as possible in dry weather (50 to 150 miles a week) I have a 26" mountain Bike and a 700C touring bike. All Bikes use the same shifters and have Disc brakes, but the alpine will be the mainstay for a while I love it.

Weaknesses:    I would love to see a chain guard since it will be seeing allot of street use.

Bottom Line:
The Price is good for quality. The style caught my eye some time ago. After one ride I was sold on it, however it took a while to save up the pennies. I say it is well worth the price. Try it I'm sure you will like it! Get out there and ride it's a great way to have fun and exercise all in one.

Favorite Trail:   Country Roads

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   specialized Rockhopper comp 29er/ Specialized Hard Rock 29er / Tested a Felt 29er but couldn't see spending the price difference.

Bike Setup:   Added a new stem with riser adjustment. Changed the peddals to Well-go the rest is stock.

Submitted by mark from crowley a Weekend Warrior from crowley tx

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2011

Strengths:    good and smooth, rides well and once you get it going it does not want to stop

Weaknesses:    wish i had just a tad bit smaller frame ,i ended up getting the xl size and I am 6ft 1inch

Bottom Line:
I cant wait to get more aqainted with this bike, I would buy this bike again and I love how it just rolls over stuff

Purchased At:   city cyclist

Similar Products Used:   fugi nevada, traK 4 series 4700

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by herrhaus a Cross Country Rider from Central, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2010

Strengths:    Paint job.

Weaknesses:    Frame (on the 2008 & 2009 versions). The components are low end, but I don't view that as a weekness. It was not an expensive bike, the components are what you should expect from a lower end bike.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 2009 ING DIRECT version of this bike (19" frame). I'm not a heavy rider (160#) and I have not done any jumping or drops with the bike, yet I had a frame failure. Be careful when you purchase. I believe that the 2010 & 2011 versions now been upgraded with a slightly different frame (top tube and down tube). I sincerely hope that Marin did this as the defect in the design became apparent.

Purchase with caution. If you are a rail-to-trail type of rider, you'll probably be fine. If you're more aggressive than that, I'd steer you away from this bike.

Purchased At:   ING DIRECT Web Store

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29.

Bike Setup:   Non stock. There isn't a part on the bike that is stock. All has been completely upgraded.

Submitted by gfond a Weekend Warrior from Poway

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Overall quality, ergonomic and LOOK

Weaknesses:    Still looking for one

Bottom Line:
The bike is engineered for quality and ride. The combination of the 29inch tires and the gearing ratio is magic. The ride is smooth and the bike transfers so much power to the ground... It feels good, it feels strong, it feels right. Anyone who wants to feel ONE with her/his bike will love this one. Oh by the way the price is right and the look is priceless.

Favorite Trail:   Daily Ranch

Bike Setup:   Effortless: well engineered all the way through

Submitted by truogre a Weekend Warrior from Grand Lake, CO

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    SIZE, STRENGTH

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for about a year. I am not the AVERAGE rider, I am 6'5" tall and about 280lbs. I have done some single track and some open dirt road stuff. I got used to having to tune up my GT after every ride (i.e. straighten rims, tighten stuff, etc.). With the Marin, I still have to do maintenance, but more like monthly. I survived the whole year without having to straighten the rims, the forks work well, I have not experienced any leaking as some of the others.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwater