Lynskey Performance Designs Ridgeline 29 VF 29er Hardtail

4.7/5 (30 Reviews)

The Lynskey Ridgeline 29er hardtail is designed for cross-country or endurance racing, singletrack, and all mountain riding. We’ve tuned the multi-shaped tubeset to create the perfect blend of lightweight, quickness, acceleration, comfort, and durability in the way that only titanium can.

HANDLING
You'll immediately notice quick yet stable steering, but not to the point of being twitchy. We’ve added an oversize headtube to take advantage of the larger 44mm headsets. These larger bearing surfaces make for a more solid front end. This headtube also accommodates both straight or tapered front forks.

RIDE QUALITY
The Ridgeline's multi-shaped and cold-worked tubeset is designed to give a balance of stiffness and comfort. This is especially beneficial for endurance racing or long day rides.

POWER TRANSFER
The massive 1.75 inch downtube provides the backbone to lock in the bottom bracket. A firm bottom bracket area is the primary component in transferring pedaling energy to the rear wheel.

Submitted by way2slow

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Strengths:    Ride quality/handling, durability

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
So I ve had my Ridgeline since May 2014, my second one after the first was stolen from my garage. Some POS out there! The first one I had for a year so I ve had some time on this bike. My other MTB is a SC Tallboy which has also been a stellar performer for me. But these days I cant seem to ride anything else but my Lynskey. It turns better/sharper that the TB (must be the 71 HA) and shines on climbs, no goosh as with the TB. With correct tire pressure the ride is smooth enough that my aging back does not complain. The bike is dressed out with XX1 components, World Cup SID XX, and DT hubs/Crest rims built by Dave Thomas. Weight is 22.7 lbs. XT disc brakes, XTR pedals. My only regret is perhaps I should have got the Pro29

Submitted by Ridgeline 29er

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2014

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Customer service. Delivery.

Bottom Line:
I ordered a Ridgeline. It was produced on the exact date as promised. However, when packing, I was infromed that the fork that comes with the complete build was not in stock. Therefore, I had to pay an additional $250 for an upgrade. I wasn't too upset but felt like I should have got a better deal las I priced it out and I believe I paid the same as I would have if I bought the fork online.

Today, my bikeshop was putting the bike together and discovered that Lynskey shipped the wrong clamp for the shifters. The bike has S&S couplers and mechanical brakes, which comes with a specific clamp. So my bikeshop had to order the clamp from their vender and I have to wait another two days.

Again, not a huge deal, but these two foul ups and the fact that the sales guys seems to be at a loss when it comes to communicating with their builders, knowing anything about parts such as forks, and appear to get overwhelmed doesn't leave me with much confidence should the frame crack or something and I have to deal with these guys again.

I'll update once I get to ride the thing and then again after I travel with it.

Submitted by David a Racer

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2014

Strengths:    Amazing ride quality, intuitive geometry, light, strong, fast, beautiful titanium construction, made in the USA

Weaknesses:    none, this bike has never let me down

Bottom Line:
I ride and race this bike in Michigan. I bought it last spring prior to the Lumberjack 100. It performed flawlessly in the race. The handling is awesome. You can whip this bike through singletrack. It feels very nimble and goes right where you want it to. It climbs, descends, and corners really well. Very efficient power transfer, minimal flex to pedaling, dampens trail vibration well. Most Michigan trails are soil with roots and occasional rocks and sand. The upper part of the state has more technical stuff in Marquette and Copper Harbor. This bike is at home on all of it. Its absolutely flies and feels stable at high speeds. This was my first titanium bike after about 10 years of aluminum. Very happy with this purchase. Its still my favorite bike and I absolutely love riding it!

The Lynskey Titanium seatpost that came with the bike is also great. It has never made noise and my seat has never slipped.

Submitted by Rosemary a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    Very light bike - all my friends who pick it up to put on a roof, lift over a gate etc comment on it.
It is really comfortable even after literally hours of riding. I had a thudbuster seatpost on my old bike - definitely no need for one on this.
It is simple to maintain, it looks good.
You can ride really fast on it.

Weaknesses:    It's a big investment to make without having tried one out.
As others have said, the decals are wearing off a bit, but I am not that fussed.

Bottom Line:
I ride my bike cross-country in the UK on wild stuff and occasionally at trail centres. I ride for fun and competitively in adventure races and sometimes off-road triathlons. My longest single ride has been 90km carrying kit, and I have done events with back to back days of riding.

I bought the bike and straight away did a week long event, riding about 65km a day. Once I had got used to the handling I had a lot of fun. I am an average height female (just over 5' 4") and the sizing is perfect.

The bike excels compared to my old aluminium 26er on rocky bumpy stuff, where it just pops over things much more easily. I love riding rocky uphill trails on it! Also on wide, easy trails and fire-roads sections it is fast and easy to ride, and I am always doing bits like this to join up the fun stuff.

It has taken me a while to get used to the 2x10 set up (less spinning up hills) and the inner chainring wears out quite fast.

I wouldn't change my original spec apart from the tyres and the quick releases. I just got new tyres and went tubeless at the same time as the Schwalbe tyres were extremely tight on the Stans rims (I've only had 4 punctures but all troublesome). I wouldn't recommend that combination. The Hope QRs tend to come loose in an unpredictable fashion.

Overall, I love this bike for the styling, comfort and performance.

Duration Product Used:   2.5 years

Purchased At:   Moonglu, Ripon

Similar Products Used:   None - I just went for a massive upgrade from my first mountain bike (a Cannondale F500).

Bike Setup:   I had this bike built up from the frame to my own specification. This was it originally:

Submitted by elsantos66

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2013

Strengths:    Simple and clean frame, I got the Industrial Finish treatment, XT built, and Stan Wheels, WTB tires and X-Fusion Fork, which I may replace further... first ride coming from a Merlin TI 26, and the handling is very good, it grips to the ground nicely and it keep it self on the ground...

Weaknesses:    May be the Linskey Decals don't look as durable as on the Merlin Frame... other than that, a superb build frame, very high end finish on welds... Original Linskey seat is pretty comfortable even that it looks cheap.... I may replace the FSA Seat Post, and Stem and handle bar for Thompson as on My 26 Merlin.

Bottom Line:
Worth the 1.5 month for building the frame.. 3 day delivery and out of the box, just a few tweaks and is ready to go. Very nicely packaged too. I compared this frame with Santa Cruz, Yeti and Cannondale... aluminum and carbon, and I decided to stick with TI, no worries about scratches, paint damages or broken frames... You can never go wrong with a TI hand made build. All your buddies are going to tell You, why TI and why not carbon or aluminum, don't waste Your time convincing them, on the trails they will know why You pick TI.

Now I am setting my eyes on the FAT Ti Stratus from them...

Submitted by Brad Johnson a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, light, and extremely fast!!! Handles well and is extremely comfortable. No problems at all, except for a few minor tweaks from taking some pretty hard licks. Outstanding bike overall. Highly recommended!!

Weaknesses:    N/A Not that big of a deal, but I would get etched lettering if I had it to do it over again.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden my 2012 Ridgeline 29 VF for a little over a year now. It was essentially the same bike as pictured, with an upgraded fork to Rock Shox SID XX. I would highly recommend this bike for anyone. I can't believe the abuse that it has taken. Other than a bent rear derailer after an encounter with a rock, which was quickly fixed, and a few scrapes on the vinyl decals, the bike is just as solid as the day that I picked it up. Don Erwin was excellent to work with and I am completely sold on Lynskey. They truly build a quality product.

Favorite Trail:   Raccoon Mtn, Jack Rabbit Trails

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Lynskey- Chattanooga

Similar Products Used:   2011 Specialized Hard Rock 29er Sport Disc

Bike Setup:   2012 Med. Lynskey Ridgeline VF, Rock Shox SID XX, SRAM X9- 2X10, WTB Nano's on 29" Arch ZTR's

Submitted by Tommy, semi pro rider, endurance racer and trainer

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, climbs wonderfully, handles like a 26er, makes me faster!

Weaknesses:    Me

Bottom Line:
I shopped for a while for a Ti HT. The Lynskey won as my choice. And, I made a good one. This bike rocks!

Submitted by Howard Skalet a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Handling and ride quality

Bottom Line:
Purchased a 2011 Ridgeline 29er used with very little wear on it. Raced the bike for two seasons, it climbs very well and descends like an enduro bike. The handling is forgiving, yet it tracks beautifully. Ride quality is sublime, long training rides are a joy. Normally a 3 year old mountain bike is ready for Ebay, not this one! Replacing the drivetrain and looking forward to another season. Would replace it in a heartbeat if it ever left the stable. Value is incredible

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the ground

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   Ventana, Intense

Bike Setup:   XO Build kit with Easton EC 90 XC

Submitted by Cholopolitan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    Ride quality... stout power transfer while smoothing out chop
Responsive geometry... ESP-like steering, predictable.. very quick without being "twitchy"
Ti craftsmanship from one of the best out there... other materials may have come a long way, but...

Weaknesses:    Probably your quads.
Otherwise, as others have mentioned, decals aren't the best quality and quality ti comes at a price.
No dropper posts... but then you'll probably be looking elsewhere anyway.

Bottom Line:
I chose the Ridgeline for endurance racing and trail riding. No disappointments. It's a no compromise blend of burly trail bike confidence and "I weigh less than a slice of bread" xc efficiency.

Much has been written about this frame. I had high expectations and was still very impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Funner

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Dos Niner
Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Ergons
Spec. Phenom Saddle

Submitted by misterlish a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Strengths:    It's Titanium, very responsive, comfortable even for a 40 yr old man, hardtails are not dead! level of finish detail if you can appreciate such things. With a smart build, Not as expensive as you think, can really last 10 yrs

Weaknesses:    None yet- to be fair only 2 months old

Bottom Line:
This review is as much about Lynskey customer service as the frame I bought in December. I had owned 2 Lynskey built Litespeeds in a past life and still ride a Lynskey built QR Tiphoon tri bike. 10 yrs and 4 kids later I've lusted after another Ti MTB frame but couldn't justify the cost. Came close to buying a Chinese Ti frame but was never really all that excited about it. Spoke to Lynskey customer service more times than I'm willing to admit. After answering all of my questions and basically just being incredibly helpful despite no promise of a sale, (along with a small yr end discount) I pulled the trigger and could not be happier. Dozen or so rides the snow has alowed in NJ have been fantastic.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorn, NJ

Purchased At:   Lynskey.com

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit 2-9, Kona King Kahuna, Surly Karate Monkey, Niner EMD

Bike Setup:   Shimano 2x10 XT drivetrain, Avid discs Fox Float, Ringle Black Flag wheels

Submitted by Morals

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Pretty Light, Very Responsive, Simple Clean Lines

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel came built horribly...had to come out of pocket additional $ after 3 rides. Not the end of the world, just unexpected.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding my Ridgeline 29 VF for about 6 months now. I got mine with a 15mm front thru axle, and I'm glad I did. The thing handles like it's on rails, and it's pretty light as well. Mostly X9 build kit, 2x10, with Stans Arch wheels. I swapped out the brakes that came on the bike, and now I have a dialed machine. I can whip it through tight stuff and let it breathe on the flow. It can handle it all....and without the complexity of rear suspension or any of the BS.

I love the simplicity of the bike. It rolls really really well, feels very fluid but not overly so. So far I'm very very happy with it, and I thank Jack (who handled my order) for helping me get into my first Lynskey 29er. I am hoping this frame will last me a long long time.

Submitted by Dj

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, fast, and durability of titanium (I've only had the frame for < 1 month but Titanium is more durable than aluminum and carbon fiber). Compliant ride. Trail chatter dampening capability of Titanium. Comfortable smooth ride - less body aches and fatigue vs. an aluminum frame, scandium or even a light weight carbon fiber frame (I've owned and ridden all frame materials). Looks of Titanium - simple minimalistic Industrial Mill Brushed Finish - No special eye sore graphics. Titanium does not require paint, more resistant to corrosion than aluminum and steel. Dialed in Geometry for great handling on climbs, descents, sprints, quick handling and stable. Faster than my 26 inch Titanium mountain bike.
Made in USA. Lifetime Warranty - much better than most of any manufacturer of aluminum and carbon frames.

Weaknesses:    Decal quality looks cheap. No performance weakness.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er Frame. I'm a recent convert to the 29er world. I have to say it is much better than my 26 inch Ti Hardtail Frame - its faster, rollers way better w/ less rolling resistance, and is more stable than a 26 hardtail. I'm only 5'6" and the Lynskey Ridgelidge 29 size small with 22.8 inch TT fits me well using a 90mm stem. Don't believe the skeptics that 29ers are not for short people, 29ers are not as fun to ride vs 26 inch bikes, 29ers are slow to accelerate and sluggish - thats what I used to believe and I swore I would never own a 29er. Now, I will never own or ride a 26 inch hardtail again. I also own a 26 inch trail bike - Pivot MAch 5.7 Carbon which I really like, its the bike I use for more technical, rougher more rugged trials that are better suited with a mid to long travel full suspension trial bike.

I've demo aluminum and carbon 29er hardtails. I choose a Lynskey 29er Titanium hardtail due to above mentioned strengths. This bike is so fun to ride, as I mentioned its fast, quick handling, climbs like a goat, very stable on descents, rolls very well over small to medium bumps, dampens the trial chatter, stiff ride (there is some flex with very hard pedal mashing efforts, but still with good enough vertical and lateral stiffness which but I don't mind because that's what makes the frame a more compliant comfortable ride).

Frame weight for my size small frame is 3.6 pounds ( on my FeedbackSports hanging scale). Overall bike weight is 23 pounds with following build: Easton EA90 29er Wheelset, Easton XC carbon riser bar, Thomson seatpost, FSA 90 mm stem, Rock Shox Reba RLT fork, WTB Laser V saddle, SRAM X9 10 Speed Shifters, SRAM X9 front and rear derailleur, Sram X9 Shifters, Specialized Fast Trak Tubeless Tires, Truvativ Stylo Crankset, CrankBrothers Candy SL Pedals, Formula R1 Disc Brakes, Ergon Grips.

Submitted by Doctor Niner a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    Awesome combination of weight and cosmetics. Climbs well and is as quick downhill as most FS bikes. Excellent for taller riders 6' plus.

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked behind the head tube after 1.5 years of use. With Lynskey full warranty doesn't mean a lot. You have to pay $500USD to get a replacement frame. After double checking the specs on the replacement frame Lynskey then sent me the wrong size and wanted further payment to fix the problem. A slick marketing operation backed up by poor manufacturing, poor warranty and even worse management.

Bottom Line:
Great frames whilst they are going, but dont expect any support from Lyskey when things turn to crap. Extremely dissapointed in this company.

Purchased At:   1395