Lynskey Performance Designs Ridgeline-29 SL 29er Hardtail

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

The Lynskey Ridgeline 29 delivers all the benefits you expect from a high performance 29er. Our combination of cold-worked/multi-shaped titanium...

Submitted by PedalaNZ

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2014

Strengths:    Geometry, compliance, weight, flexibility(geared/ss), looks, frame price on sale

Weaknesses:    This section is now reserved for my other bikes

Bottom Line:
I always have a quiver of bikes built up for different uses but I've started to rebuild this frame frequently instead - it's that good. In similar frames I've got a recent 29er Reynolds 853 frame with similar sliding dropouts (Pipedream Skookum) and a 29er carbon frame (Planet X Dirty Harry) plus 8 years riding rigid singlespeed hardtail 29ers (my favorite ride). Five minutes on the first ride with the Lynskey frame and I knew it was in a class above - it felt right in every way. It felt so much more comfortable I ditched the USE suspension post I was using for long rides and went back to a rigid post. With a rigid carbon fork and light carbon wheelset it flies....makes the steel frame seem heavy & dull and although it gives away 0.5 kilos (a pound) to the carbon frame it is less twitchy, noisy and feels more planted and hammerable. I built it up 2 x 10 with a Fox 120 fork for two long, steep and muddy winter races - it came through with fun, placings as good as I can expect and never a bike problem.

My only issue was a period of machine gun cracking noises which I eventually (after swapping out BBs etc) tracked to the rear sliding dropouts - a light grease between the sliders and frame slots solved that. Which reminds me about the slider lock bolts....what was Lynskey thinking! How can engineers that can spec such a great frame also spec bolts made out putty metal? Even with care and a torque wrench mine have almost rounded out. This is a small thing & I'm planning a visit to my local bolt store to find a good steel set.

The only frame this won't replace is my full sus for all mtn and rough trail use. I now suspect I wasted $$$ on earlier HT frames - for my use I should have saved my pennies and got a Lynskey ti frame years ago.

Finally, even though I got the frame at a giveaway price from CRC I would give 5 chillies for value even at full retail - consider you could spend a fortune for an average bike - most of us have done - while a frame this good is worth every dollar.

Submitted by Henry

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2014

Strengths:    I use the bike geared and single speed, rigid or with suspension, tapered or straight steerer. Frame is light and stiff. So far I love it. Welding is flawless.

Weaknesses:    Non so far.

Bottom Line:
Moneys worth. Not the cheapest but for a titanium frame like this you can't go wrong.

Submitted by Ollie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2014

Strengths:    Versatile frame, smooth ti ride, customer service, lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Tire clearance, not belt compatible

Bottom Line:
Picked my 2013 Ridgeline 29SL up for a song from an online store. Beautifully made frame and very versatile, with the 44mm headtube handling straight and tapered steerers. Headset was a tight fit (perhaps tolerances are out?) but everything else built up easily. Love that it has a threaded bottom bracket (press fit is the worst standard ever!) and the dropout options make it a very versatile frame. I'm running mine with a Rohloff, it makes for a smooth and fast trail machine! I like the aesthetics of the straight tubed Ridgeline more than the twists of the Pro29, so sorry to see they've discontinued it in the SL model. Good race orientated geometry, but the ti makes for a forgiving all day ride. Love that I don't have to worry about scuffing paint with the industrial mill finish. All up and exceptionally good value titanium frame.

Favorite Trail:   The Whole Enchilada

Similar Products Used:   Too many alloy hardtails to name

Bike Setup:   SID 29/Niner carbon, Rohloff, XT brakes and cranks, Thomson stem and post

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    Customer service with follow-up, compliant ride, nice blend of comfort and performance. USA made, which is awesome and important to me.

Weaknesses:    Pricey, but USA made.

Bottom Line:
I started with a trek rig. I never was happy with the way it handled like an 18-wheeler in the turns and beat me to death in the rocks. Yes, there are rocks in Oklahoma, lots of them. I was able to move everything directly from that lousy rig frame to the Lynskey with only one minor hitch, the BB shell on the rig was wider and I needed 2 spacers to adapt to the Lynskey shell. No big deal, bought a spare BB and it came with the two spacers I needed.
Light weight (24 lbs for my XL with mediocre rig parts), no paint to scratch, easy to clean, compliant ride, great handling, what more can you ask for?
I have had the Ridgeline SL for a couple months now and still love it. It is a joy to ride and I recently took it on a 3-day torture test in Arkansas at Syllamo - more rocks. It is great to deal with somebody in the USA and makes quality product. The only issue I have had, which is minor, is that the Allen bolts on the dropout sliders have come somewhat loose once or twice. I check them occasionally now and if it happens again, I will use a little locktite. If you can afford it, I recommend this frame highly.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey mountain, Tulsa, ok

Purchased At:   Direct from Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Trek rig, stump jumper far

Bike Setup:   29er single speed, gears and rear suspension are for wimps, fox fork

Submitted by mersh448 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight Titanuim frame, Excellent handling, great geometry and incredible fit. Also, incredible customer service!

Weaknesses:    careful with the slider bolts. do not to over torque or round out the hex bolt. use a new and sharp 5 mm hex wrench

Bottom Line:
I researched a lot of frames before deciding on the Lynskey Ridgeline 29 SL. I was very reluctant to leave my full suspension Turner Flux 26'er and commit to a 29'er single speed. However, the Lynskey Ridgeline proved to be an excellent choice! The slider feature and flexibility of the Ridgeline SL to be converted from single speed to geared was well worth the nominal price difference as compared to the Ridgeline VF (geared only). I set mine up SS initially and have never regreted the move. I had a couple minor stem and seat height adjustments on my first ride and have not needed to change a thing since. The handling of the bike is precise and controlled with the 15mm thru axle Fox fork. Taking on downhills is no problem either. The Ridgeline descends with confidence and predictability! No need to worry about the climbs either. My Ridgeline built up weighed in at 21 lbs. The light weight single speed accelerates well when the trail turns upward and feels light, nimble and flickable on the technical single track of western PA. The Ti frame is compliant enough to use on all day epic rides. I've done a number of 30-50 mile rides and have not felt like I've been beaten up when the ride is over. I did not list the following as a weakness because it turned out to be a strength and a positive for Lynskey. I developed a frame crack at the top tube-head tube junction. I called Lynskey directly and informed them of the issue. They were awesome to deal with! Absolutely no hassle! I sent my frame back and within a couple weeks, it was returned to me repaired and totally refinished. My frame looks brand new again. I am so confident that frame crack was a very isolated occurrence, that I bought a second frame from them. The folks at Lynskey worked with me and set me up with a great deal on a M2923 frame. I am also very happy with that purchase. Bottom line is, the Ridgeline is an awesome frame and Lynskey customer service is TOP SHELF!

Favorite Trail:   Kennerdell, Laurel Mountain

Purchased At:   Spinning Lizard Bike

Similar Products Used:   Merlin X-tra Fat, Moots Rigor Mootis

Bike Setup:   single speed, King hubs, DT Swiss supercomp spokes with Stans Crest rims, King BB with Race Face Deus XC cranks, Thomson masterpiece seapost and X4 stem, Truvativ Noir carbon riser bars, Maxxis IKON 2.25 tires, Magura Marta SL brakes, Fox FIT 29 fork, Selle Italia seat

Submitted by Brandon V

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    It is awesome! I want for nothing else. This bike from day one has been such a joy. So light and durable. I am very rough on my toys and its good to know that i can challenge myself and this bike to the max.

Weaknesses:    Have found 0 weaknesses. There is one, there is no paint to chip away so it always looks new and never looks like ive been using it.

Bottom Line:
If you are pondering... look no further. I was reluctant to purchase such an expensive bike, but after looking at carbon and comparing those prices this bike really was not that much more, and i got a lifetime frame. I was hooked from day one, luckily a good friend at Lynskey (Matt Richardson) informed me that this would be the best purchase i will ever make. Buy a Lynskey! They are all handmade in TN, about 10 miles from my house so even though that doesn't cut down the price its well worth it.

Submitted by BigJon a Weekend Warrior from Granada Hills, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Great fit, light, quick steering, durable, good customer service, great value

Weaknesses:    None noted so far

Bottom Line:
I figured it was about time to replace my 20-year-old Yeti, and since I have a Lynskey T230 bike that I really like, I decided to look at some of their MTB offerings. As luck would have it, they had some media special bikes on sale (never ridden, just used for pictures) and they had my size (XL). That one of the great things about dealing direct with Lynskey- they often have promos or sales that can save you a bunch, and they also (as in the case when I bought the T230) will work within your budget to get you a bike that fits your needs.
When I received the bike, it was carefully packaged with all the frame tubes wrapped in foam insulation and the whole thing was packed in a sturdy, well padded box. As luck would have it, we had a heavy rainstorm the day before, so my local trails were covered with all kinds of ruts and mud, so a perfect opportunity to see what this bike could do.
First good thing I noticed was the fit. At 6'5", I'm not the easiest person to fit on a bike. With a 100 mm stem, this bike fits me perfectly. I felt no lower back strain and I was able to extend my legs fully on the pedals. It also has a steeper head tube angle than my Yeti, so it took a bit of getting used to the quick steering. Once on the trail, I can see why everyone raves about the 29" wheels- they just rolled right over most bumps and ruts. On some steep uphills, I was able to scoot way forward on the saddle to keep the front end planted, but it still had enough weight on the back wheel to maintain traction. Downhills were a bit scary at first, due to the quick steering, but I got used to that pretty fast.
When I bought the T230, a number of people told me that titanium was going to be too flexy for someone my size (I'm 200 lbs.). I have not noticed any excessive flex on either bike, especially so with the Ridgeline.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Peak/East Canyon

Purchased At:   Direct From Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Yeti Pro Fro

Bike Setup:   Sram X9 components, Rock Shox Reba RLT fork

Submitted by mpbspt a Cross Country Rider from Carpinteria, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2011

Strengths:    Beautiful welds, super light, able to adjust geometry, love the sliders- running as single speed, Tight Tolerances (Bottom Bracket, Headtube, etc)

Weaknesses:    Decals - mine were cracked when received - no big deal though - Lynskey replaced them for free. . . . . . .

Bottom Line:
If you have been thinking about getting this frame - think no more - best bike I have ever ridden (over 25 years of MTB). The company is super cool too - I had a million questions about sizing and such and they were on it.

Favorite Trail:   Romero Cyn.

Purchased At:   Bikesmiths, Carpinte

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Ocoee Ti, TST G-man Ti, DBR Ti

Bike Setup:   King Headset, King Singlespeed hubs laced to Stans Crest 29er with Wheelsmith DB spokes, E-13 Singlespeed Cranks, Lynskey Ti seatpost, Lynskey carbon rigid fork, Ritchey WCS stem and carbon bar, Time Atac XS carbon pedals.

Submitted by Andrew from Australia a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Lively feel, doesn't rust, geometry good, doesn't break and of course, it's a 29er!

Weaknesses:    None so far - occasional creaking noise may be e13 bottom bracket or it may be rear dropouts.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike in all weathers and most terrains. I love it! It can morph between a rigid single speed commuter for rough paths and a serious hardtail easily. For the amount of use it gets - about 100kms a week - it has been fantastic. I am about to change the seatpost because I have changed saddles to one with less available rail length so I need a seatpost with more setback than the 17mm that comes with the Thomson to achieve the same position.
The determining factor for me was that I wanted a 29er frame that was set up for single speed but could be converted to geared. There are many on the market that are set up for geared but can be converted to single but few this way around. I looked at some Ti frames labelled differently but built by Lynskey and ended up buying the original.
I am over 230lbs and can break frames, cranks, forks, you name it! I have had no sense of the frame being "soft" and you also never get a sense of it being as rigid as Aluminium.
Based on my feedback a colleague has bought the helix model and he loves that too.
Highly recommend this frame.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   26" MTB's such as Specialised, Gary Fisher, Giant.

Bike Setup:   Currently Single speed, rigid with XT brakes, e13 single speed cranks, Thomson Seat Post and Stem, Fulcrum XLR wheels, Racing Ralphs

Submitted by Biff242 a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Lynskey delivers all of the benefits of titanium - lightweight, smooth riding, durable -- in a highly refined frame that is extremely well balanced and lively, with a geometry that is ideal for epic riding over technical terrain.

Weaknesses:    The slider bolts are creaking a little -- about to replace them.

Bottom Line:
Balance. This bike has what none of the carbon frames that I have ridden have -- a finely tuned balance that allows you to rip it through the corners, dive down descents, leap up and mash it up the climbs, manual up - over - and down the backside of log piles, and do it all in complete control with maximum speed.

For anyone over 180 lbs. and anyone who rides technical terrain (or anything with east coast roots and rocks) titanium, IMHO, is the top choice over carbon, which, when done properly, has great trail feedback, but cannot take the punishment of trail riding over the hours and days that someone who buys his own gear will dish out.

And, it goes without saying, there's a little special pride that comes from knowing that your frame was designed and built by hand in Tennessee. There are lots of great products made in other places, but if and when it comes time to address a repair issue, it's going to be handled, and completed, nearby.

Purchased At:   JB Mountainbikes

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Enlightenment 29, Niner Air Nine Carbon, Niner One Nine, Gary Fisher Xcal, Specialized S-Works carbon 29er singlespeed

Bike Setup:   Fox F29 100mm fork, White Industries singlespeed cranks and freewheels, White Industries hubs with Stan's Flow rims, Formula The One Freeride brakes 203mm front/185mm back, Thomson stem and post, Spank 777 bar, Ergon GS2 grips, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Submitted by LKN4ADVNTUR a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga,TN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    This frame is light and stiff but with a magical ride. This is my first TI bike. It absorbs the trail chatter and vibration better than any frame I have ridden...including steel! SMMOOOTTTHHH

Weaknesses:    If there is a weakness I have not found it.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic the way it is at 21.5lbs...but its about to go on a diet. On the way is a Loaded stem, e thirteen crankset, and a much lighter set of tires. It should weigh in around 20lbs until I purchase a rigid carbon fork which should drop it to around 19lbs.

Bottom line is buy this bike if you are looking for a top notch SS with sliders... and the ability to run geared when u feel the need.

I like the Lynskey so much I just sold my Cdale 29er geared race bike because it would just sit in the garage.

Service at Lynskey is second to none. Kudos to them for answering all my stupid questions patiently:)

Favorite Trail:   Tanasi

Purchased At:   LynskeyPerformance

Similar Products Used:   Redline Monocog, Cannondale F1 Caffeine, Klein Attitude, etc

Bike Setup:   FSA carbon bar, Reba with poploc, FSA stem, Truvativ Stylo SS crankset, Thompson Seatpost, WTB rocket saddle, Bonty RX wheels, Maxxis Crossmarks

Submitted by capt.balljack a Cross Country Rider from flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Unreal craftsmanship, souther pride, USA made, not some mass produced p.o.s. , Fun associates to deal with, Big beer can size ti headtube. The ride!

Weaknesses:    Costs extra to have deraillure tabs removed, down tube routed cables, rear slotted seat tube, chainstays could be a tad wider

Bottom Line:
Let me start this by saying that I never trust MTBR reviews nor ever contribute to the reviews. As I am usually too busy riding to spray on some website. But this bike needs to celebrated. So here goes... Unreal ride! Mine is a single speed and aside from a few Personal preferences there are no gripes. I waited about 3 months to get the frame and it's worth the wait. I'm 5'8", with long ape like arms and a short inseam. Med fits awesome and matches the geometry of my custom made Sendero frame. For sure get a thru axle if you go the suspended route.

Lynskey needs to hybridize the Pro 29 rear triangle (chainstays) with the Ridgeline Front triangle and take care of all the weaknesses I mentioned. If they don't meet my demands, my next Lynskey will be purchased through the custom shop.

Save up your $$ and buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   I can't say that here.

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Redline flight, Kona 2-9er unit,

Bike Setup:   Fox 100 mm terra logic 15mm thru axel, 32 King wheelset SS, 20t king cog, NOIR carbon crank, Blackspire 32 DH chainring, Avid BB7, Thompson 80mm stem, Gore Ride ON cables, Truvativ Holzfeller bars. Lynskey Ti Post, Cane creek 110 hs. time a tac pedals, intense 2.25 tires/tubes. 24 lbs with pedals.

Submitted by ahelmus a Cross Country Rider from MA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, pretty stiff, gives good trail feedback without being harsh or overly whippy.

Weaknesses:    A bit flexy in the bottom bracket. It is set up SS and I got some minimal tire rub with maximum mashing and the widest recommended tires.

Bottom Line:
I cracked a seat tube on the Sir9 after about three years of riding single speed. I loved that bike but wanted a slightly stiffer and less whippy frame without compromising the great trail feel that the 853 steel offers. I looked around at lots of steel replacements, stock and custom, and then checked out the Lynskeys, which I had lusted over for a while. I was about to pull the trigger on another frame and checked the Loft one last time and found this bike at a decent price.

After about a week of tweaking and a month of riding I can say that the frame is just what I was hoping for. Just over 23 lbs single speed, quick in the twisties, tracks well at speed, and plenty stiff. I could just get the tires to touch the chain stays when I really cranked but I moved the rear tire back a hair in the sliders to resolve the issue. The best thing about the frame is the feedback from the trail. I really like to feel what I am riding over, and after three years on a HT I find full suspension to feel kind of dead. This frame gives feedback like on a fine steel ride and is never harsh or jarring, even when riding rigid. I definitely feel more frame stiffness than the Sir9, but in a lively, compliant and stable way that should make long rides a pleasure. Overall, I can see riding this frame for a number of years and really liking it. Definitely exceeded my expectations.

Purchased At:   Lynskey loft