Lynskey Performance Designs PRO29 SL 29er Hardtail

The ongoing evolution of our flagship 29er brings a whole new meaning to the word PRO. The all new 2014 Pro 29 adds to its already impressive list of race attributes a PF 30 BB for unmatched power transfer, tapered 42/52 headtube for stability and strength up front, and 12x142 thru axle slider dropouts or choose our standard single speed sliders. Sliders not only provide adjustment for tire clearance and chain tension during the use of geared setups, but also play a pivotal role in the overall performance by allowing you to fine tune the wheelbase. The overall result when combined with a 2 inch Helix'd downtube; speed, stiffness and stability in a durable lifetime purchase.

Submitted by Eric Kop...ski

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    Fast as promised.
Super ride, yet stiff as a Single Speed should be.

Weaknesses:    Fast bike.

Bottom Line:
I was promised a great riding, fast titanium frame that was not the typical wet noodle I've experienced in most titanium frames in the past. I took a chance that the helix tubes would deliver the ride I wanted in a light, durable USA made frame. What I got in this Lynskey product was way beyond my expectations in all areas. The Pro29 provides a super ride as expected from a ti bike, but it is stiff when you throw it all in the pedals...I found my pedal power was transferred into forward momentum like no other bike I've been on. This frame design superceeds carbon in my opinion. I am super satisfied!

Submitted by Tom Spicyfingers

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    Beautiful aesthetics; stunning finish; titanium; unique design; comes together easily.

Weaknesses:    The only thing I would point out is that it has a long headtube. I've got a 100mm fork on there. I'm running an external lower cup and an internal top cup (Cane Creek 110). I use a flat bar. My stem is an inverted 90mm Thomson and I'm going to try run it flush with the headset, where I'm confident it will be low enough. But, having said this, I don't run my front as low as some of my mates.

Riders who like an aggressive geo will want to look at the numbers and the headset options to ascertain whether it'll work for them before laying down the cash.

Bottom Line:
* COPIED FROM THE LYNSKEY PRO29 REVIEW ALSO ON THIS SITE *

First of all, some points of note: This review concerns the 2012 PRO29 SL. I'm 6'1" - I weigh 70-75 kilos depending on snacks and season. I ride in Wellington, NZ - which is by and large either up or down - long, meandering, flowing single track is rare. I am also a single speeder, I have no knowledge of, or interest in, riding a geared MTB. My build is low-compromise. It was expensive but it is not a weight-weenie build. Where considerations of weight came up against reliability or performance, I opted for the latter.

Now. It is very difficult to extract the review of a frame out from the bike itself, so I will begin with frame-specific comments and then move onto how it rides, with a description of my build. At the price point I was expecting a hell of a bike, yet somehow I was still impressed. I went for the Industrial Mill finish. It's got a certain lustre that I really enjoy - a silver Thomson post looks quite shiny by comparison. I wouldn't personally want it any brighter than this. The welds are immaculate, and the little plate near the BB and the other insignia are really nice touches. Those big twists are a standout feature, and something about the large frame just looks in proportion. The build came together quickly and easily. No surfaces needed facing or chasing, obviously, and it all lined up where it should. I personally prefer an EBB to the sliding dropout system, but obviously I'm willing to yield, since I bought the frame. What I can say is that the sliding dropouts look good. The bolts don't quite go through the entire thread of the dropout, which worries me a little. I will be buying new bolts that go right through the dropout, since I've snapped these before - but longer bolts are cheap, and give you the option of customising the drive-system you use to do them up (hex, torx etc). It would be a nice touch to spec these frames with the upgraded Paragon kit, but that's being a little picky.

In pure trail feedback terms this thing is comfy, yet fast. It's a butter racehorse. Riding it is like bedding the girl next door and finding out she's a hellcat between the sheets - you'd better settle in for some spicy miles. But make no mistake, it is racey. It's incredibly stiff. That big ol' junction at the BB just does not give. The bike goes exactly where you point it, and as such you need to be direct and judicious with your steering. I found I oversteered it initially, but adapted quickly enough. But we seem to be straying into build territory, so here goes...

Cane Creek 110 headset. Wheels: Velocity Blunt SL's laced to Chris King SS rear & 15mm TA front (beautifully hand-built by my sensei and friend, Mike Anderson of The Bike Hutt, NZ). 100mm Reba Race fork - tapered 15QR. Thomson connectors. Niner 710mm flat carbon bar. XTR M960 crankset - single speed only - 33/20 gearing. Chris King BB. New generation SLX brakeset with ice-tech rotors, 180mm F and 160mm R. Charge Knife Ti saddle. Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tyres.

Since I've always been a single speeder, take all my comments against the single speed mantra. Spin spin spin - coast - spin spin spin. I don't know and I don't care how this thing rides with gears. For my purposes, with the engagement of the CK rear hub, and with the stiffness of this frame, I can put the boot in out of a corner and it absolutely takes off. If I get out of the saddle and thrash about, it lays down all the power. No flexing, no quaking, no bending. I just go forward. On the downs it goes exactly where I point it, which was disconcerting at first, since my riding style was previously to suggest a line to the bike through a corner and adjust on-the-fly. Now I'm scoping out the exact route, and I push the bike into it. I know it'll stay put. This is a credit, equally, to the wheel build of course.

Like I said, it's racey. In tight switchbacks I found a propensity to oversteer and almost came to grief. I've since learned to set the front wheel into the corner less vigorously, and I'm yet to find a switchback too tight to negotiate smoothly. This is a no-apologies race geo, and it rides like it. Fit for purpose - can't complain there. And I do love the way it rides.

I'm not going to be so effusive as to say it's the only bike I'll reach for from now on. I still love my Singular Swift. But if I ever need to haul ass, the Lynskey will be what I take out. And, having debuted it in a 6hr Solo, I can say that it's certainly comfortable enough for long ones. I wasn't pining for a full-sus at any point.

If you're looking to put together a no-compromise race hardtail with a bit of a different flavour, this is your frame. My build came in around 23.5 lbs, which is no anorexic, but I stand back from it and consider it perfect - it looks reliable, fast and fun.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Some photos: http://bikehutt.tumblr.com/post/50689610538/friday-night-bike-build-party-beer-flowed

Submitted by Doug Vidakovich a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Interchangeable sliding rear drop outs to go from SS to geared; remarkable craftsmanship; stable, predictable handling; go anywhere

Bottom Line:
Why I'm still riding a 26" is unknown to me. At first, I thought a 29r might bring me higher off the ground than I would be comfortable with. But, Lynskey has, IMHO, perfected the 29r geometry and I am Über comfortable taking this machine on the rocky, steep terrain that is the El Paso landscape, without feeing top-heavy or unstable... or missing full suspension. The opposite is true. It handles well, is stable, and allows me to feel the terrain. I'm ditching my full suspension and 26" SS altogether. Yes, it is a bit pricey (ergo, 4 chili's), but it is Ti and fabricated in the USA, so each cent was well spent and I will do it again. At the end of the race season, I will (hopefully) post a review of its overall performance and riding characteristics.

Favorite Trail:   Redd Road

Purchased At:   Frame from Lynskey;

Similar Products Used:   Airborne Ti Hag 26" SS, 120mm front suspension; Turner Burner 26" Full Suspension MTB.

Bike Setup:   White Bros 100mm Loop front suspension; White Ind SS crank/Phil Wood BB; Cane Creek Thudbuster Seat post; Jones Loop H-Bar; Chris King Hubs (cog) laced to Stan's No Tubes Arch EX rims, with Continental Mountain Protection tubeless tires; Hayes Prime Pro brakes; Thomson stem and Chris King headset.

Submitted by Gabriel J a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing combination of razor sharp handling, and rear end compliance
Dropout adaptability..Run it SS, or geared
Corrosion Resistance

Weaknesses:    I only have a couple hundred miles on the Pro29sl, but I am in love...No complaints from me.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a race-ready singlespeed that was going to last..I think i've found it in the Pro29. Sharp handling, good-looking and the durability of titanium. Really couldn't ask for anything else. If you are considering a Lynskey, GO FOR IT!

Submitted by turkish_sp a Cross Country Rider from Spain

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2012

Strengths:    Light, nimble, laterally stiff and offers a much forgiving ride than my previous aluminum frame.
Works best with rigid fork.

Weaknesses:    Not with 44mm head tube (2010 model)
Rear tire clearance should be better with sliders forward into the chainstays.

Bottom Line:
A bike you can trash everyday. You can race it thanks to low weight, although lacks instant power transfer, but you know, it's a ti bike. Sometimes I miss a suspension fork, but an Ardent 2,25 at the front set up tubeless does a nice job absorbing bumps.
If you only can afford a bike, this is your choice.

Favorite Trail:   Botureira

Purchased At:   Surbikes.com

Bike Setup:   DT Swiss XRR 470 fork; Edge Stem; Enve Sweep Bar; Cane Creek 110 headset; Truvativ Noir crankset; Novatec-FRM wheelset, Thomson seatpost.

Submitted by grouan a Racer from NY

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    I bought the frame last year (2010), but did not end up building the bike till Feb of 2011.
The three reasons I was drawn to Lynskey in no particular order: A. Customer service- A great company to deal with. This was a reall strong draw for me as they are top notch. B. Titanium- This is the marathon metal meaning it last forever and the ride is primo. I have been riding ti frames since the early 90s and this frame has amazing worksmanship to it. Done just right. C. Value- this was the least important aspect of the purchase, but in a sense one of the key selling points of the brand: you get lots of bike for the money...no one else does it like Lynskey at this price.
Finish is top notch.
The bike handles perfectly for me.

Weaknesses:    No real weakness at this point in the game- I may update/upgrade to newer sliders (the 2011's come with them) but only because I have heard from others that it is a nice upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Great racing bike or great trail bike. I am riding technical stuff that I have not ridden in years or have only done on my big suspension bike.
I normally get rid of a bike at the end of the season and get the next thing that catches my eye and I already know i wont be selling this frame at the end of the season- it is too good to let go.

Favorite Trail:   Monster at Blue Mountain.

Purchased At:   Direct from Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Independent Fabrications 29er, Kona 29er and a laundry list of other brands in 26 wheeled bikes.

Bike Setup:   King hubs, headset and BB. Hope brakes. Stans rims. Ritchey WCS bar, Easton EC90 post (with shim). Rockshox reba 100/Rigid fork- spent more time on the rigid fork: really good as a rigid and is not as bad as you might think....

Submitted by gwunder a Cross Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Light, smart/different looking, race orientated, strong. 2nd generation pro29SL so any teething probs should be gone.

Weaknesses:    ?price? although should last a lifetime

Bottom Line:
Not yet built! Had to source a Cane Creek lower XX44 headset cup to suit the 44mm internal diameter headtube and tapered fork steerer. Once this arrives (none in Aust of course) from the US its build time. Hoping it rides as good as all the parts look ha ha. Report back on this later. Bought to be ridden as primarily a XC race bike with a bit of strength as I am about 92kg.
Dealt directly with Don at Lynsky who was really helpful.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo