Lynskey Performance Designs PRO29 Lefty 29er Hardtail

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

The PRO29 boasts a multi-shaped tubeset for stiffness, beautiful lines for pure aesthetics, race proven geometry, excellent responsiveness and confident handling. New for 2010, the PRO29-Lefty model utilizes our Helix Technology in the tubeset, a BB30 bottom bracket and a Lefty compatible headtube, creating our best handling 29er frame to date. This disc specific model comes equipped with slider dropouts to allow single speed or geared drivetrains.

• HELIX toptube provides precise handling and control
  • Chainstay lengths that promote better traction when climbing
  • Headtube angles that are quick but not twitchy
  • Enhanced bottom bracket height for additional clearance
  • Downtube shifter cable routing

Submitted by Tak a Cross Country Rider from Novi, MI

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    High Quality, corners like a 26. Titanium. Customer support is the best. Keep it up!

Weaknesses:    These are not necessarily weaknesses, but just things I found... Nothing that causes an issue if you believe in regular maintenance.

1. Rear slider bolt came loose, after around 900 miles, but put loctite on it and problem solved. Nothing that a normal maintenance won't catch.
2. You get annoying creek from the BB area if you don't tighten the PF30 crank just right.
3. Default cable guide that came with the frame made the cable rub on the frame. Replace it with longer cable guides and problem solved.
4. Shifter cable could be routed along the Top Tube instead of the down tube?

Bottom Line:
First of all, this is my first 29r.

One thing is that I had to run lower tire pressure than on my 26 so I can lean more. After I got that dialed in, rest was history.

I will probably not go back to riding a 26er after riding this one. Corners just as well as my 26, and is faster. My lap time at my local trail was 1.5 minutes faster on my Pro29 Lefty than on my 26 inch Titus 26inch FS bike. Bike weight is the same.

Geometry is XC race oriented, so perfect for me.

Overall, the frame was expensive, but it is well worth it for me. Less expensive than the Moots, more exclusive than Quiring.

I was specifically looking for a bike that,

1. Is a 29r.
2. Has a Lefty.
3. Is Ti.
4. Is reasonably light.
5. That fits me, with a TT around 22.7in, with an XC geometry.

Lynskey is the only company that makes a frame that fits the above criteria. I could have went custom with Quiring, but since I see many of those around me, I decided I wanted something different.

Now if Lynskey made a softtail version of this bike like the Moots YBB, it may be even great.

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   LBS - Trails Edge

Similar Products Used:   26 inch Titus bikes. Both Hardtail and FS.

Bike Setup:   Full XX, Stans wheelset with tubeless. Lefty Carbon XLR.

Submitted by segovia85 a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Handling, features, quality, looks, really cool and functional plate chain-stay for 2011.

Weaknesses:    Maybe...the sliding drop-out design having too much leverage on the slots. Perhaps the seat-stay should be closer to the axle. It seems beefy, so it may not be a problem.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. It only weighs 21.87 pounds.
A bike-shop owner who has ridden many bikes took it for a spin and said it was very well-balanced, meaning that it turns without a feeling of over or under-steer.
It also has great down-tube cable routing design which requires less hose than top-tube routing.
And, the down-tube is oval at the bottom and spans the entire length of the bottom bracket. This makes it *much* stiffer than my last bike. Great design.

Purchased At:   The best components

Similar Products Used:   Litech magnesium hard-tail

Bike Setup:   2011 small frame, full SRAM XX, R1 brakes, Lynskey seatpost, Stans Crest rims, Racing Ralph 2.4 tires (tubeless), 2010 Lefty, Paragon bolt kit.

Submitted by mikebacon a Racer from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Strengths:    Wow! Stiff, light, fantastic handling, beautiful welds.

Weaknesses:    None I can find

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic. At 6'3" I often have a tough time finding stiff framesets, but the oversized Ti, combined with the lefty makes for a great handling, stiff bike. I keep saying stiff, but I don't mean that to read as uncomfortable. It's actually quite comfy back there. And if you want more comfort, you just throw in a bigger volume tire--there's a lot of clearance back there and the slider dropouts allow for even more if you want. I am running conti race kings 2.2 (the new, bigger volume ones), and there is PLENTY of room. I could probably get by with a 2.4 if I wanted a more comfy setup.

I really can't say enough about the workmanship and ride quality of this bike. It is perfect!

Favorite Trail:   Arizona

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Niner Air9, Gary FIsher Superfly, Specialized Stump Exp 29, Niner Jet9, Ellsworth Evolve.

Bike Setup:   Sram X0 2*10; Lefty; Thompson; Industry 9

Submitted by Canyonman a Racer from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2010

Strengths:    Forgiving ride, does not beat you up! Excellant handling! Never knew a HT could be this much fun!

Weaknesses:    Every one else says stiff. I'm 6'2 185 lbs. It's not as stiff as my Cannondale SuperSix roadbike, but has a very good balance between comfort and performance.

Bottom Line:
Moved to ss this year. Did 5 endurance events and multiple epic rides.
12 hours of Mesa Verde, Leadville 100, Park City point to point to mention a few. I can't belive how much fun riding ss and a HT can be. I as an earlier review was pretty convinced FS was the way to go. Wanted to do Leadville 100 on a ss!
I was amazed at how fresh I felt nearly after all my rides. The bike is so responsive in the saddle, out of the saddle...and is soo comfortable. I love it! I ride the large and have a lot of post showing and this helps I'm sure.
I've had a few folks comment on the Helix and Lynskey in general. Some are impressed with the appearance in person. Some are skepical. That's fine as I've seem a few Lynskey owners out there and they have all been very happy. Buy it if you want comfort, a HT, and performance. The only thing that could be improved would be stiffen the bottom bracket area. You spend a lot of time out of the saddle with a ss. My review is for the 2010. Not a problem, but of I could change anything that would be it for racing. Although I would rather have the comfort over a stiffer ride!

Favorite Trail:   Can't pick just one!

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Marti

Similar Products Used:   Tried everything! My recent personal bikes: Salsa Dos Niner, Salsa El Marachi, Niner RIP, Surley Pugsly, vintage Merlin road bike and as mentioned Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Lefty Carbon SI fork, Cannondale SI crank, Avid Elixir CR brakes,
Lynskey post, DT 240 ss rear hub, Jeff Jones bars, Arch rims.

Submitted by Mathew Davis a Racer from Shreveport, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, stiffest mountain bike I have ridden. Adjustable rear dropouts make it easy to tuck the rear tire as close as possible to the seatube for great traction.

Bottom Line:
Very Stiff bike where you want it to be stiff, but comfortable enough to race events such as Leadville 100. Traction is supperb due to short chainstays and adjustable, horizontal, dropouts. Steering and tracking is excellent with Lefty Fork. Frame has lifetime warranty!

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, Salsa Mamasita

Bike Setup:   Sram XX, Lefty Carbon SL 80mm, Industry Nine XC Wheels, ISM Breakaway Saddle

Submitted by jordanbryden a Racer from Calgary, AB, CAN

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    Everything! This bike rides like a dream. Its stiff and has the smooth ride that comes with a hand built titanium frame. By far the best mountain bike I have ever ridden. This bike handles amazing!

Weaknesses:    Nothing. Maybe if you are riding 8 hours+ enduro race then a FS might be a bit more comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I have to say, I was even more impressed with the performance of the Lynskey Pro29er than I thought I would be. The bike is a hard tail, but because of the oversized wheels, rides like a full suspension frame. I honestly am more comfortable climbing and descending on this bike than I ever was on my last FS bike that had 4.5 inches of travel in the rear. The ability to climb on a frame that is built around you makes me feel like I have been riding at huge disadvantage over the past few years. This bike is built with a full Sram XX build kit that responds quickly in all conditions. The shifting is amazing. But the real performance advantage for me comes in the form of the Lefty carbon front fork. It responds faster than any shock I have ever tried in the past, and works seamlessly with the frame to create a plush ride. The custom builders at Lynskey pulled out all the stops and worked on every detail of the frame. They even went and lazer engraved my name onto the top tube!

I always though that a FS bike is the way to go, but this bike takes the cake for sure. The frame is amazing and gives me the ability to have complete power transfer, with the smooth ride of Titanium. If you are looking for a new mountain bike, then I would highly recommend this bike!

Purchased At:   Direct from Lynskey