Lynskey Performance Designs M390 Limited Edition 29er Hardtail

MSRP : $1990.99

Limited Edition M390 120mm Travel Hardtail 29er, Geometry specifically made for 120mm travel fork with Sag factored in, Hydro-formed Downtube, Sliding Dropouts - Includes an Industrial Mill Finish and Limited Edition Graphics. Available as Frameset ($2810) or Complete ($4849).

Submitted by Xtyling a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Ti frame. Beautiful welding and craftsmanship.

Weaknesses:    Decals peel off easy. Wish it had a painted or sand blasted logo design.
Frame weight is heavier than expected = 1.96 Kg for a medium frame with the stock adjustable drop outs.

Bottom Line:
I had to plead temporary insanity. I hope Lynskey's Ti lives up to it's billing.
So far the bike has been awesome. So light and controllable. Geometry is great, but I hope to get a Lynskey Ti setback 400mm seatpost to make it feel 100% perfect. Do I regret my purchase? No. Would I buy it again? Yes. It's just an awesome bike.
I'm not an advanced rider or good enough to comment on flex of frames or wheelsets. But IMHO the bike seems solid.
Perhaps having top of the line components also helps the M390 really shine. The only way to be truly objective is to ride another bike with identical components. But that would near impossible or just impractical for me. Built up, my M390 is a dream come true. Thank you Lynskey.
PS: I can already predict the decals will strip off in a few years. But the badge will stay on forever.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Lynskey Online

Similar Products Used:   None... my last bike was a 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0

Bike Setup:   Medium frame M390, full SRAM XX, 2x10 trigger shifters, 120mm XX Revelation, Stan's Arch EX 29, DT 240's, WTB Bronson 29x2.2, Truvativ T40 bar and 75mm stem, Lynskey 400mm seatpost, WTB Silverado Ti, Shimano XT M785 trail pedals, Ergon Grips (will be changed to ESI Chunky).

Submitted by Melancon G

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good weekend on my new M390. By having a slacker geometry I am able to extend my stem to 100mm from 85mm and it feels great! So now I have great alignment over the front hub … more room in the cockpit helps with breathing, pedaling out of the saddle and hip placement. This frame is nice. I also have Pro 29 SL (that I love); however, it is going to be lonely for a long time. Thanks Lynskey!!! Keep this as a limited edition. I don’t want my competition getting one.

Bottom Line:
I am so happy that I bought this bike... it turns great on east coast tight single track, flows well over roots and rocks, and it accelerates great.

Submitted by Wcsting a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Workmanship, geometry, quality.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
I just got through building this great bike. spent the first 2 weekends riding 4+ hours each day, I didn't want to get off. Near the beginning of the build I took it to my LBS to check a couple of torque settings, and they raved incessantly about the OCD welds. Its a thing of complete beauty. I prefer the looks and lines of this bike to the Pro29, and Ridgeline and in my opinion its the best frame Lynskey has made. This is a purely aesthetic and non unscientific opinion because I have not owned those bikes. The "S" shaped down tube changes shape as you move down towards the BB junction. While i was building it it seemed really big. I ordered the medium/18, and was seemingly overwhelmed by this huge bike as it came together in my garage. Come test ride day. It felt perfect! It was like somebody measured ME and built me a bike. its just deceptive, because it really is smaller than my old trek Rig, It just looks bigger. However when I ride it, it feels smaller. Like I'm WEARING it.

One other thing that was a surprise - the threads on the BB shell were ready for the cups. No prep was needed. This frame was shipped ready to be built. The RockShox Revelation 120 fork is a gem, and the bike turned out at about 23 lbs, which is very respectable. I have it set up as a SS, and it runs smooth and efficient with really direct power transfer. There is almost no lateral flex on the rear triangle.

I love this bike!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Trek Rig SS, Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Stan's Arch EX rims on Hope Evo Pro 2 hubs, with WTB Weirwolf (front) and Wolverine. Chris King Ceramic BB with Truvativ Noir Crank, 32 running Chris King 17t rear Cog. Can Creek 110 Headset with Thompson Elite stem and Truvativ Noir T140 Bar, Paul levers, BB7 brakes through Velo Orange stainless steel braided housings.

Submitted by capt.balljack a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2012

Strengths:    Tube size, spot on geometry. The ride!

Weaknesses:    Don sexually harasses me... But I like it. Limited edition and it's their best design ever.

Bottom Line:
Look no further! Seriously. Lynskey nailed it with this one. This is my second Lynskey. I had the 2011 Ridgeline 29sl, saw that this one had everything I wished my Ridgeline had and got it. USA made, superior craftmanship, Southern hospitality. Paired with Rockshox Revelation fork 20mm and holy cow. Fasten yer seatbelts! Fat tires fit fine, tight chainstays. Rides more like a 26 than some dumb, lumbering 29er. Mine's a SS, but kudos to Lynskey for finally doing the top tube routed cables. The tube set is unreal. Big, burly, elegant and fat just like my girlfriend. Best riding HT bike ever. Save up yer $$, sell yer current bike and get in on this quick as they are limited !!!

Favorite Trail:   Hmmm....

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   KOna Unit 29, Redline MONO cog FLIGht 29, Lynskey Ridgeline SL 29.

Bike Setup:   Revelation 120, Chris King Hubs laced to 32 hole WTB, WTB Weir wolf, TruVativ Noir cranks, 32:20, Thompson 90 stem, Cane Creek 110 HS, Avid bb7, Paul levers, Lynskey post