Kona Mahuna 29er Hardtail

4.26/5 (19 Reviews)

Designed specifically to be an excellent-value, entry-level mountain bike, the Mahuna ("green beans" in Croatian) is a 29-inch-wheel hardtail perfect for those with a curiosity for jumping on the big-wheel bandwagon. Built using Kona's sweet-riding 29er geometry and 7005 Aluminum Butted tubing, the Mahuna is all about keeping things simple and fun, with components selected to keep the Long Sweet Ride going for years.

• SRAM X4 drivetrain
  • Kona Custom cockpit
  • Suntour SF11 XCT fork w/ lockout
  • Avid Elixir 1 brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jackson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2015

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Pedals

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike because I didn't want a softtail for my TRAIL / AM endeavours for the reason that I also do a lot of riding on the roads. I was looking at Trek and Specialized mostly, but then one of my local dealers introduced me to the Mahuna. I had been searching for a bike for about 8 months, and I bought the Kona Mahuna 29er Hardtail about 2 days after I had first seen/heard about it. The bike is a very good buy for its price, and you can expect very good quality out of it so long as you're not taking it on double black technicals. It handles really well, and the centre of gravity is ideal. It suits my commuting lifestyle, however my dark side of Trail and All Mountain defy this bike's capabilities. It's awesome on dirt jumps though :D

Favorite Trail:   Upper Maple Syrup @ Maple Mountain

Purchased At:   Experience Cycle

Submitted by cyberlogicx a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2015

Strengths:    Price, rear rack compatible, geometry, weight, lifetime frame warranty, decent components for the price, surprisingly comfortable saddle

Weaknesses:    Fork, pedals

Bottom Line:
    I bought this as a commuting and XC trail bike. I love 29er wheels for commuting since it makes the bike faster than a 26 on roads and rolling hills. I didn't need anything too expensive or serious for what I was doing, since I also haul my toddler around in a trailer. What caught my eye about the Kona was the fairly decent component set (for the price) the lockout fork, and the fact that it has threaded eyelets on the seat stays for a rack. It also doesn't look half bad in matte black. The fork is pretty terrible. It's mushy and can't really be adjusted, but it has a lockout and at the price of the bike I'm not going to complain. I also swapped out the super cheap Wellgo platform pedals because they are just plain awful. Had my LBS install Shimano Deore XT pedals. So far, I love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rockingham Recreational Trail

Purchased At:   Pedal Power, Portsmo

Similar Products Used:   Haro Flightline Sport (2012)

Submitted by videoboyMatt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2014

Strengths:    9 speed, good for the price range, as many bikes are being sold with 8 speed cassettes (good for upgrading), amazing frame and build quality. Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, decent SRAM crank for bike level.

Weaknesses:    Thin sticky grips, not amazing fork, but not terrible, Altus rear derailer not competative.

Bottom Line:
    My girlfriend bought a 2014 the same time I bought a Cinder Cone. We looked at about 20 bikes, and it really came down to this and Scott. What you get is a much better frame than anything from Trek in this price range..and you can tell instantly. The build quality is top notch, with some of the best looking welds, 4 colour matte paint job and aggressive geometry that doesn't look like a hybrid with knob tires. The headset is the same as the one on my Cinder Cone (my bike cost $400 more). It comes with a 9 speed cassette, good compared to many bikes that were offering 8 speed, making it great for upgrading. That is a good thing because Altus is crap. Fortunantly our LBS upgraded her rear derailer to Deore free to compete with Scott at the same price. Overall it is a great bike worth upgrades, something many entry level mountain bikes are not worth doing. Also on the plus side this bike is clearly less common than any Trek or Giant, when you meet bike snobs..you will get more credit. My girlfriend rides it 20-35 miles a day 4-5 days a week. She loves it.

Purchased At:   Kyle's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cinder Cone, Scott Scale 750, 970, Marin Muirwoods

Submitted by roknfnrol

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable, great cockpit fit, love the drivetrain and the brakes.

Weaknesses:    I wish the handlebars were wider. Also, the fork is pretty heavy and very low-end.

Bottom Line:
    Overall it's a great bike. It was my first 29er and it really allowed me to gain speed and roll over anything.

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    Nice breaks, durable

Weaknesses:    Some gear tuning from time to time

Bottom Line:
    I'm a big guy (~250 lbs) and have ridden it hard for a few months on rocky trails. I haven't had a single durability issue. The paint has held up well, and it comes with touch-up paint (which I haven't needed). There isn't a single component that is irritating me enough to want to swap it out. So far it has been a good value for an entry-level mtn bike.

Submitted by Zack

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    Cheaply made

Bottom Line:
    When I bought the bike and took it home I noticed the second cog was bent beyond use... nice QC Kona. In under 30 miles I have had a broken fork and the derailluer snaped off the frame. Many different brands of bikes out there stay away from Kona!!!!

Submitted by Dan

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    Great frame, feels solid and is responsive...for the size (I have a 22" frame) it's not too heavy...love the hydralic brakes.

Weaknesses:    The only issue I have had is frequent gearing tuning, but could be just the break in period.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, I am very happy with the bike, I bought one for me and one for my mountain bike racing daughter, she has really wiped out a couple times, had some injuries and a couple dings to the bike, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed...seems in 2013 they fixed the paint chipping problem I have read about earlier, cuz we haven't seen any of that. After a lifetime of "pretty good fit" frames, this one feels better than them all.

Submitted by hardtailrider2013 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    Great bike, looks good, feels solid, tyres have good traction, seat is great, brakes are realy good, love the sram x4 and It's light. I can't say if it's durable it's been 1 week but haven't had any problems :D

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily, I just brushed againts a plank of wood and the paint got away :/ Not that it's realy a BIG problem.. but yeah. Brakes squeals sometimes, The suspension, but it's normal for the price considering all the other good components, but still a good suspension.

Bottom Line:
    Realy good entry bike, it's my first mountain bike and I love it! Definitely a good purchase! :D

Purchased At:   kijiji (used)

Submitted by Enrico a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Frame: Quality frame. Kona Racelight 7005 feels great.

Weaknesses:    Pedals: These ones will break after a few offroad rides.
    Suspension: Feels just too soft. Bounces a lot if you jam hard.

Bottom Line:
    I tested a Hardrock, a Rockhoper, Trek Mamba and Wahoo and I went for Kona.

Purchased this bike 6 months ago. It has delivered. I am 6"6 and I gotta say one of its strongest points it´s the design. This bike feels great for a big fellow. I ride it offroad on weekends and I commute daily about 7 miles. So far I have no complaints.

This is the kind of bike that needs to be perfectly adjusted and afterwards it will ride very smoothly. Invest some time checking everything, adjusting brakes, gears etc. If you adjust everything perfectly it will last that way.

I tossed everything I could at this bike and it wants more. Rocks, stairs, roots, drops. You name it. Everything works perfectly. Being a hardcore rider but not having a lot of money I recommend you this bike. I am positive It wont dissapoint.

Broke a pedal on my third ride offroad. (Probably my fault)
    Flat Tire. (Meh)
    Adjusting the rear brake can take a while.

Similar Products Used:   Hardrock 2013, Trek Mamba and Wahoo, Cannondale sm500.

Bike Setup:   All stock but pedals.

Submitted by Marko

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap
    Hydraulic brakes
    Good looks
    Nice handling frame
    Very stable downhill

Weaknesses:    Paint really is very bad, chips extremley easily.
    I also experience strong vibrations from rear brake, brakes need constant caliper adjustment
    My rear stock tyre also got replaced because it was too wide for the frame
    Suspension fork is very basic, but for this price ok I guess

Bottom Line:
    Well, it seems that i wrote a lot more weaknesses but I think this bike is a good deal and a joy to ride.
    Despite everything, I'm happy with it.

Submitted by Kevin

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    Good strong and light frame, hydraulic disc brakes, strong rims with decent tires, comfortable cockpit for a tall guy, good price compared to similar bikes.

Weaknesses:    Rear tire rubs front derailleur, cheap paint, rear disc problems

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike in Feb. 2012. I purchased it after test riding several other bikes (Specialized, Cannondale, GT, Trek, and others). I paid $699.00 for the bike which I thought was a great deal. I am a tall guy and felt most comfortable on the Kona versus the others. The components are similar to other brands at the same level except for the brakes which are far better than the competitions. The paint job is a dissapointment, any stick, pebble, dirt ball or what not takes chips out effortlessly. And do not lean it against a post or bike rack either. Even the brake and gear cables have rubbed through to the metal. The rear tire is too big for the design. The 29x2.20 rubs the front derailleur no matter how you try to adjust it. After about 2 months of arguing Kona agreed to replace my tire for a narrower one that fits and at equal value (Kenda 29x1.90). Talk to the bike shop about that problem before purchase to avoid a headache. The rear disc brake needed replacing as well; it vibrated terribly. That was a warranty covered upgrade as well. Apart from those 3 issues I love the bike. It climbs like a beast and handles extreme downhill very well. I also commute about 4 miles a day in it no problem. I have about 350 miles on the bike and expect to get many more. It also has the same frame as the Kona Kahuna Deluxe, so with a few upgrades in the future it could be even better. I would recommend it to a friend if they could get that tire problem fixed before purchase.

Submitted by thefurryone a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Hydraulic disc brakes, double walled rims, decent drive train components, high quality frame, Geax tires.

Weaknesses:    The paint is very fragile, rear brake squeaks.

Bottom Line:
    I finally chose this bike based on several weeks of research and the recommendation of a friend who rides competitively (he is sponsored by Specialized- go figure). Anyway, I rode the Mahuna, a Kona Splice and a 2011 Specialized Hardrock 29er. The Splice and Hardrock both had cable disk brakes which just did not compare to the Avid Elixir 1's. Apparently, even low end hydraulic brakes perform better than mid level cable disk brakes. There are other bikes nearly twice the price that have the same brakes and bikes at 3X the price that have brakes one group higher. The drive train components were pretty similar on all three bikes, low end, but not terrible. I have upgraded all but the crankset so far, but not because I had to. The Sram X4 group would be just fine for most people. I was able to find great deals on Sram X9 components so I decided to go for it. The wheels and tires are pretty decent. They aren't super light or anything, but are pretty strong. The tires do well on and off road, adjusting the pressure helps boost performance in both scenarios. The fork is pretty blah. It's not horrible but I did see the same fork on a Schwinn at Target the other day if that tells you anything. Probably will be my next upgrade. Probably my least favorite thing about this bike is the garbage paint it is covered with, which is a shame because I love the color. It is so soft it's laughable. I once learned it against an unpainted wooden post for a minute. I must have slipped a little bit because it scratched the paint. The bike and the post were both clean so it wasn't abrasion. Lots of other thing have dinged it too. The supplied touch up paint cures to a dull matte finish that looks great on a bike with a clear coat finish. Basically, I think this is a good frame surrounded by components that are good enough to last until you upgrade them, lose interest in the sport or just upgrade to a more expensive bike. If you're considering buying this bike, there is nothing that you will actually regret about doing it. I plan on building this bike into a very solid entry level race bike. The only stock item left will probably be the frame, but the oem stuff will be just fine until I reach that goal. I have 700 miles on this bike since I got it 2 months ago with no major issues.