Jones Steel Spaceframe 29er Hardtail

Steel frames have the same geometry, clearances, features, gearing options, handling and balance points as the titanium frames but at a lower cost, heavier and a different feel. Since steel is stiffer than titanium smaller tubes are used. The ride is similar to the ti frame (it has the Jones geometry after all) but it is different. It does feel vertically stiffer compared to the titanium Spaceframe but it's a very good, solid feel. It's steel and steel is good. The steel Spaceframe and Truss fork produces a ride that is stiffer than the titanium version but smoother than the Diamond steel model. The tubes used can be smaller than the Ti versions as steel is stiffer and this then allows the flex to be carefully managed to deliver efficiency and comfort. Construction: The frame is TIG welded 4130 chromoly with a butted down tube. The cable guides and bottle bosses are brazed on. The fork is all 4130. The frame and fork are ED black and then powdercoated for a durable finish.

Submitted by gravedoja a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2014

Strengths:    climbs very well, super stiff and responsive, great handling downhill.

Weaknesses:    towards the end of a long ride the stiffness can start to feel a bit tiring on your body. Fat tyres are a must. Your body will adapt though.

Bottom Line:
I love this thing, steep climbs? Yep.
Fast techy downhill? If you have good skills, yep.
Twisty single track? Oh yes.
Road rides? With fat slicks on yes, even road rides.
Touring, commuting, this is the most versatile bike i have ever owned.
I have been riding since 91 and have ridden lots of bikes of all types, most mountain bikes tend to be good at a particular thing, e.g. SC Bullit, good downhill, not so good uphill, etc. The Jones just seems to work well on every trail you take it on. Now don't get me wrong, if you hate hard tails or rigid bikes i doubt you will feel the same way as me about this, if however, if you love to ride without springs from time to time, i think you will really love this thing. Its worth getting a test ride if you are curious.

Favorite Trail:   Nant Y Arian, Wales, UK.

Purchased At:   Charlie the bike mon

Similar Products Used:   Rigid, hardtail and full sus MTBs of various types over the years, nothing has felt quite like the Jones though.

Bike Setup:   Jones steel space frame, 1x10, bb7, 29+ front end, Stans flow back end, Loop bar.

Submitted by KeviChe a Cross Country Rider from D.C. area

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    Super Agile, terrific climber, even better decender

Weaknesses:    Proprietary front hub

Bottom Line:
I met Jeff Jones at Interbike a couple years back when he first showed his Steel Spaceframe as an early production. What really sold me was talking to him of the type of riding this bike was meant for. Aggressive trail riding, and clean sheet approach to designing an off road bike. Later on talking to him on the phone, he helped walk me through how to set it up and why. I am so glad I did, this fresh approach on how your postioned on the bike is amazing. More upright, hands and arms unloaded free to steer and control the bike. Upright yes, but I actually climb Better on this bike than my XC hardtail. Gone are the days of acute lower back pain at the end of a ride. My friends could barely keep up with me on my initial off road ride. Just brings me back to what was fun about riding my first rigid steel MTB when I was a kid. The Geometry is amazing, does everything better than any type of bike Ive had in the past, i always struggled to dial in a comfortable position on a bike. The frame does offer more compliance than a traditional frame. For the record, so far reading this you probably have surmised i am some 50+ old man who is just taking in the scenery and bird watching. I am in my early 30's, my friends describe my riding style as "reckless abandon" when some one says lets slow the pace up for those guys, it doesnt compute to my body. Chaos is where I live, and this new bike has just become the perfect apocalyptic horse to accompany me.

Favorite Trail:   FountainHead

Purchased At:   Jonesbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Commencal Meta 5, Voodoo Wanga, Iron Horse MK III, Dekerf Team SL

Bike Setup:   29er front and rear, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Velocity P35

Submitted by morphosity a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2011

Strengths:    Built up the bike from the frame. Imported from Jones, built up how I wanted ie everything was as I specced. Bike gives an amazing ride, you feel, low and safe, because of the geometry you feel in no danger of endoing, it is my preferred bike for challenging singletrack.

Weaknesses:    Because of distance from Jeff had to take a punt on liking the bike ie buy unseen and unridden. Not in the slightest disappointed.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy this bike it never fails to put a smile on my face, I find I am riding it in preference to my Stumpjumper unless I am planning a long, long ride. It climbs well and has that incredible responsive hardtail feeling I thought was hype. It just makes me want to ride my bike!

Favorite Trail:   Single track

Purchased At:   From Jeff Jones

Similar Products Used:   2010 Stumpjumper 29 FSR, 2007 Stumpjumper Pro, various earlier bikes.

Bike Setup:   Spaceframe, Jones girder fork, Paul WHUB, Surly Large Marge Rim, Surly Larry 3.8 Tire, Shimano XT Disc brakes, front & rear deraileurs, 2x9 gears, DT 440 rear hub Stan Flow rims and Arden 2.4 tire, Jones bars, Thompson 90mm stem (I'm 6'2")

Jones steel Spaceframe spam

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=70413&cat=]Jones Steel Spaceframe/ Truss - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Jones Steel Spaceframe

My long wait is over. It's finally here:) Read More »

Steel Jones Spaceframe

Jeff has just blogged a Steel Spaceframe - some photos here: [url]http://jonesbikes.com/blog/?p=1308#comment-181[/url]Read More »