Jamis Exile Race 29er Hardtail

• Cassette: Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36
  • BB Set: Shimano SLX integrated

Submitted by RVApete

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2014

Strengths:    Components, design

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
I bout one of these on close out earlier this week and love it! It's my first serious mountain bike. It rolls over obstacles with ease that I wouldn't even try on my old giant revel 26". The design allows this bike to climb or drop down steep hills with ease. The only thing I upgraded was the rear wheels because I bent a rim when I was testing it in the parking lot.

Submitted by JasonScottCarter a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great components (Shimano SLX with Rock Shox Recon Silver Fork), strong triple butted frame that's also very light, good saddle out of the box.

Weaknesses:    The tires that come from it from the factory are only good for dry single track. If you ride them out in wet conditions, you don't have much traction at all. Tires are the only upgrade I am currently thinking about.

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29er, and I love it so far. Great value for the price. A lot of bikes in this price range won't have highend drive components and a good fork out of the box. This bike has both. Going over roots and logs is not a problem for me anyway. Having 10 speeds also was nice for going quick on flat terrain. The frame is very light, and helps with climbing hills. Hayes break system stops on a dime, and the Rock Shox fork has a lock out, so you can ride it on paved roads as well. Great bike.

Purchased At:   Pulaski Bikes

Bike Setup:   All stock except the pedals. I use Shimano 520 mountain pedals.

Submitted by jm

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Frame and geometry. SLX digs....great climber fairly light

Weaknesses:    could have used a REBA or Fox instead of the Recon AIr. also though the REcon has several attributes of the REba. Worked nice until I swapped for LEFTY.

Bottom Line:
This things is now an absolute beast ever since the LEFTY was mounted. Very fast rolls over everything and the suspension upgrade to me is spot on. Now the bike is just a dazzler with the FRAM GEOMETRY and the LEFTY SHOCK

2011 Kona Big Kahuna vs 2012 Jamis Exile Race vs 2012 Jamis Dragon sport please help

Hi, I have roughly $1000 to spend and I've got a deal on these three 29ers that will keep me right around that price range. (the big kahuna is slightly used) The Jamis Exile Race is the formerly named exile 3. I have heard great things about all three. I'm 5'9, 155 pounds. I can't find anywhe ... Read More »

Exile + Reba 29 Race - 80 or 100mm?

Just had a 2008 Reba 29 Race installed on my Jamis Exile. Right out of the box, anybody know if the 2008 Reba 29 Race is set at 80 or 100 mm travel? I _think_ that the stock rigid fork on the Exile is suspension corrected for 100mm. If the fork out of the box is set to 80mm, and that's how ... Read More »