Jamis Exile 2 29er Hardtail

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

You don't needTo drop big coinTo play withThe big wheels. Jamis has your back.The Exile delivers a 29-er specific frame design at aTasty price. You can buildThis up into a worthy 29'er cross-country bike easily. Swept-styleTopTube delivers a low standover height, whileThe specially shaped downtube eliminates clearance problems withThe control knobs on some 29'er forks. A well-thought out design. To complete your bike build, you'll need:

Submitted by asuprice a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2011

Strengths:    Hydro Brakes, Tora Fork, 9 speed components

Weaknesses:    None I can see yet.

Bottom Line:
Love the low standover height and geometry of this bike. Doesn't feel enormous under me like the other bikes I tried did. this is my first 29er and I'm sold on them now. Riding trails has gotten much easier when it comes to rolling rock gardens, logs, etc. Try this out. You'll be very happy.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch(Charlotte, NC)

Purchased At:   Carolina Bicycle Com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Trail Sl 2 29er, Gary Fisher Mamba 29er, Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by barnettd a Weekend Warrior from Fort Myers Florida

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Strengths:    JAMIS Exile II - Components (for the price) and frame design. For my preference it fit my riding profile the best.

Weaknesses:    Still adjusting to it but I haven't noticed a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I rode numerous bikes from Giant, Trek, GF, Specialized etc... In the $1100 price range I did not come across any earth shaking differences except the frame of the Jamis. I think that the frame of the Exile series is a great shape for 29ers. It moves the seating position and top tube down significantly and thus makes it more comfortable on cross county type trails.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   EA Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 26 inch, Giant 26 inch

Bike Setup:   2011 Exile II model.

Submitted by wolfboy0000 a Weekend Warrior from Searcy, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    Frame design, better components than Exile I, for 200 dollars more you get upgraded BB, hydro brakes, shifters, front shock and seatpost, etc.

Weaknesses:    Noticed after a couple of rides I found spokes loosened up on rear wheel, I rode hard and was sliding the rear wheel around corners, This was probably flexing the wheel sideways and loosened the spokes, front wheel was fine.

Bottom Line:
There are better bikes and worse bikes, but for the money this is one of the best bikes going. Components are great, frame is solid, looks of the bike are great, and it has a good feel to it, that was one of the selling points for me.
After riding several different brands and styles this one fit my riding style the best. One thing I suggest is getting a bike that is one step above your ability, that way months after you get the bike you'll feel better about your purchase, and you want have to start upgrading everything on it. Ride several, get some on loan, ride friends, but be sure before you spend the money, Nothing worse than buyers remorse.

Favorite Trail:   Burns Park North Little Rock

Purchased At:   Bike City, local bik

Similar Products Used:   26 inch pacific mountain bike no shock, 26 inch Trek mountain.

Bike Setup:   2011 Exile II, tora front shox with motion control, pop lock remote,

Submitted by jon a Weekend Warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    weight, comfort, components, geometry

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike if you are looking for a 29er. i was skeptical at first to make the switch but after some coaxing from a friend i test rode the exile and then bought the exile 2 no regret here.

Purchased At:   Main Bike World