Jamis Dragon 29er Hardtail

4.63/5 (24 Reviews)

Don't missThis opportunityTo start a 29'er build at a great price! Proven, reliable, lightweight Reynolds 853 steelTubing isThe highlight here.The benefits of bigger 29'er wheels are well-stated and known atThis point. Dragon has been a legend for years with classic hardtail geometry, and now it's even better withThe leapTo 29" wheels. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Submitted by Ken

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2014

Strengths:    Reynolds steel frame. Good brakes. Simple 2x10 drive. Fork is buttery smooth.

Weaknesses:    Too much overlap in the 2x10 drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
I got my Dragon last summer on closeout at ProVelo in Fort Collins. Great Store! The Dragon is a classic steel bike with roll-over-anything 29 inch wheels. Steel is real! Forgiving, reasonably light and responsive. Best material for a MTB hardtail. The Manitou fork does it's job very well. The drivetrain cold be improved with a bigger differential in tooth count between the front chainrings. I am VERY happy to have been able to get my hands on one of these bikes. I consider it a classic.

Submitted by gil v.

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2014

Strengths:    best frame ever! great geometry flush riding

Weaknesses:    avid elixier 3 is not the best breaking system
wheels lite weight but weak

Bottom Line:
bought them at pedalim isreal, best service very good value for money

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   pedalim, jerusalem

Similar Products Used:   marin palasides trail

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable smooth ride, quality components, looks awesome

Weaknesses:    Seat post clamp

Bottom Line:
I love my Dragon. I just got into mountain biking to extend riding into the cold weather months (road riding in the cold= not fun). I tested a half dozen bikes and the Dragon was by far the best. Shifts are smooth and reliable, breaking with the Shimano hydralic breaks is incredible, but the best is the ride. It is amazing how the 29 inch wheels, rock shock fork, and steel frame absorb the pounding and smooth out the trail. You can stay in the seat more, take less pounding, and have better control. I had rented a Giant rev 29er from another bike shop and the whole time the bike was vibrating under me and the chain was slapping over every bump. I rode 5 other aluminum bikes and none could match the ride. I also tried a steel frame Surly, but it cost more and just wasn't as nice. I got a great deal on a closeout 2013 and have been out in the snow, the dark, and cold but I love it.

Submitted by frdfandc a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Strengths:    This review is for the frameset only.

The Reynolds 853 steel frame is a very forgiving frame. Decent weight, climbs well, great for those longer rides.

Weaknesses:    It is a steel frame. Some preliminary care is required for the frame. Nothing a little blast of frame saver won't take care off. Does not have a tapered steerer tube.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this frame is one of my favorites. I have ridden many of bikes (work in a LBS) and love the feel of steel. Not the lightest by current standards, but those 20+ mile rides do not leave me crippled. My last bike was an aluminum frame and after riding 18-20 miles, I had a difficult time the next day. So anything that will increase my comfort level is a plus in my book.

Love the ride qualities of this frame, and if those are looking for a steel frame 29er, this would be one to look at.

Favorite Trail:   Allegrippis Trail System - Raystown Lake

Duration Product Used:   Going on a year

Purchased At:   Henry's Bike Shop -

Similar Products Used:   Breezer Lightning Pro, Niner SIR 9, Salsa El Mariachi - demo/test rides

Bike Setup:   Total weight is 27 lbs with pedals/cages. Not too shabby. My bike is a piece meal of parts, most of them from my previous setup. Bike has the following parts. Shimano MT75 UST wheels, Manitou Minute 29er fork 100mm travel, Easton EC90 bars, Ritchey WCS Trail seat post, Shimano SLX brakes, SLX crank with a 26/26/bash setup, Sram XO shifters, X9 RD, XT FD.

I do have a few planned upgrades to help reduce the weight of the bike, primarily wheels and a crank.

Submitted by Tony H a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a beast
Good Component Set for the most part
Good Shock

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I got mine at Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) for $1000 plus tax and pedals. Since I got it I've probably put around 100 miles on it. My typical ride is 25% road and 75% off.

Much of my opinion is based on my previous bike, which is pretty much all I have to compare it to.

It's my first 29er. Having come from a Giant ATX 890 Race bike from about 1998...the Dragon Sport is quite different. One of the first things I noticed is that the bike fits me better. I'm 6' tall 270-230LBs which is big for a rider so I always felt a little too big for a regular mtn bike. The ride position is good and I rarely get the feeling that I have to lean back because I'm too hunched forward.

Another one of the main differences I noticed with the bike is that it's a little more difficult to negotiate very slow and technical areas, probably due to the bigger wheel. I think the ability to go over bigger obstacles with less trouble is a better trade-off because in my riding I don't often experience those tight technical trails that often.

This is also my first bike with SRAM components. At first I was rather disappointed. The gears clicked during and after shifting, and the experience compared to the previous XT/XTR setup I had was...not as good. This may have been due to whoever setup the bike. Whether it was EMS or Jamis they failed to adjust it properly and tighten everything as it should have been when purchased. As a result...

When I was riding on the road to get to the trail I had my front derailuer loosen up when shifting and get wedged between the chain and sprocket. I was pissed...and had to get a ride home. After fixing that, on my next ride I managed to get the rear derailuer stuck in the spokes and take a trip above the hub. Bent spokes, bend derailler hanger, broken rear derailer. Again pissed and not sure of the reason I decided to take it in to EMS to have them fix both derailers and the squeeky brake. And chalk it up for the first maintenance now that the cables have been stretched.

After their tuneup it still was horrible at shifting so I brought it in again after I figured out the source of the problem. When the front derailler came loose it bent the middle chainring just enough to cause shifting problems. They replaced it.

Now that everything is working as it should and after the first tuneup the bike is running nicely. I've gotten used to the shifting and the bike is finally working as it should have when new. This bike is really nice to ride. I've been able to climb steeper and more slick surfaces than ever before. The geometry of the bike and the tire with its larger contact patch really does make a noticeable difference. The chromoly frame is also quite nice, and not as harsh as my previous AL bike.

I got on my buddys 26" Cannondale and it reminded me of how a bmx bike felt after riding a mountain bike for a while, light and nimble, but also more...twitchy. I quickly wanted back on my bike. It's more sure footed, stable, sized better and...it's mine. :)

In short, I really like the bike, and 29ERs in general for my type of riding. I'll have the bike for years to come. Other than the initial problems I had I don't really have much to complain about. The disk brakes, shock, and overall components meet my expectations for the price I paid for the bike. Other than the clipless pedals I've got on there the bike isn't screaming for any parts to be replaced.

Good bike, get it.

Purchased At:   Eastern Mountain Spo

Submitted by greg swanson

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    frame, geometry

Weaknesses:    seatpost clamp

Bottom Line:
shopped for a reynolds dragon 853 19" 29er for 6 months. finally found it on craigslist in dallas. Called the guy and he shipped it up for me - great deal. Bike is fantastic to ride. rolls over everything. corners great for a 29. frame is stiff, light, and fast! I love the supple yet resilient ride of steel bikes. This jamis is everything I wanted. The brakes are super! the shifting is like glass! up and downhill this bike just performs and performs. I would choose this over all the specialized stuff all my friends ride. I don't think any of it compares. buy a dragon, then fix the seat clamp, and you'll be good!

Submitted by slowrollin99 a Cross Country Rider from Buffalo, NY, United States

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Sexy as hell, Blue STEEL. STRONG. I had someone clip me get their foot stuck between my rim and frame and broke nothing on the bike. The other guy on the trek was not so lucky.
Easily adjustable for multiple riding positions. I am a commuter and enjoy the riding position. You feel as though you are well seated within the bike. Weight falls just infront of the rear wheel.

Weaknesses:    NONE, I found that putting slicks (Big Apples) on this bike made it a beast in the streets. I only wish that it had frame mounts for a rack.

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the price. Quality Frame, Strong

Favorite Trail:   STREETS!

Purchased At:   EMS

Bike Setup:   Brooks B17, Schwalbe Big Apple, Everything else is stock.

Submitted by Themaiklmanismydad a Cross Country Rider from Wilm

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket

Bottom Line:
The bottom bracket died with 450 miles on it. I'm still happy with the rest of the bike, but the BB should not have failed that early. Seemed to get debris in it right from the start.

Submitted by bikewrench a Cross Country Rider from Hanover, PA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    COLOR, narrow chainstays( I am running a narrow 2.1), really don't like the track ends

Bottom Line:
This frameset is decent for the price. I work @ a shop and we carry Jamis which led me to this purchase. The color was hiddeous. I sanded, painted and repaneled it after three rides. The stays seem really narrow and I am not a big fan of the horizontal drop outs. Gonna ride this til I can order up my Siren John Henry.

Favorite Trail:   the ones I get to ride

Purchased At:   Simplicity Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Misfit Dissent, Surly Karate Monkey

Bike Setup:   2011 frame(repainted matte white w/ custom panels), Salsa fork, BB7s, Deore LX crank, Salsa controls, WTB WW frt& Sagauro rear

Submitted by iowinos a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Overall value: quality cromo frame, decent parts spec for the money.

Weaknesses:    Really nothing so far. Avid Juicy 3 brakes have a bad reputation but after about 10 hrs of riding are working great. Top/head/downtube junction seems underbuilt and may prove flexy, but not a problem so far in rough rock gardens.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to get a quick review in for anyone thinking about buying, with the idea to update down the line. My initial rides on this bike have been on very rough trails and the bike has exceeded expectations. Frame is just what you would want - slight flex to smooth things out but responsive in climbs and turns. he headtube junction seems to leave room for a lot of flex up front but I've had no problems and that's just based on looks. Solid wheelset and tires are nicer than competitors at this price. Some of the more suspect parts are all working great: Juicy 3 brakes are very good so far, SRAM crank is an older design but working well. Tora TK fork's coil sping is a little wimpy for my 215 lbs, but it's working really well and the lockout is impressive for a lower end fork. Pretty paint job chips pretty easily is my only real gripe.

Favorite Trail:   Swope

Purchased At:   Volker Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango 29, Hard Rock Pro, Trek 7000, Rockhopper 29

Bike Setup:   Completely stock with clipless pedals

Submitted by theMailmanismydad a Cross Country Rider from Wilm,DE

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    nice quality steel frame with lifetime warranty.All components seem to be very of good quality.

Weaknesses:    not really sure yet , but the bottom bracket and cranks my be the weak point.

Bottom Line:
This is for the blood red 2011 model.This is the first quality bike I've owned and so far I'm happy with it.I've never had a suspension fork before, but the Reba is very smooth and hassle free. The American classic hubs roll very fast,noticeably faster than my old wheels;and the rims are working very well set up tubeless.I dropped about a pound off the bikes weight going tubeless. Ran a 1x9 set up on my old bike and never wanted the problems that come along with a front derailleur, but the extra few gears high and low have grown on me;really like the 2X10. The only problems I've had with the front derailleur is slippage due to the rubber shim used to make up the difference from the steel frames narrower seat tube. There has been a couple of occasions when the bottom bracket has had some debris get past the seals and has bound up a bit. Had the shop clean it once , but the second I was able to free it up. This might be an issue with the quality of the bottom bracket because I don't submerge the bike in deep water crossing and generally try to keep it clean(I also do not use a water hose when cleaning so that's not the problem).Bottom line: very nice bike that won't set any weight records(27# as I have it), but rides smooth and looks good. I'll give it 4 for value just because I'm cheap and it hard for me to part with this kind of money for a bike.

Favorite Trail:   Brandywine

Purchased At:   Henry's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   steel Redline d440

Bike Setup:   all stock except for Ergon GS3 grips

Submitted by JerseyDragonRider a Weekend Warrior from Fair Haven, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs up and over roots very well. Comfortable ride. Looks great. Great value for $.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, 6'2' 225 and basically a weekend warrior when it comes to riding. This bike makes me a lot better, despite me being somewhat out of shape and a little overweight. My Dragon Sport 29 is a major improvement over my 10 year old Trek 6500. The 29 format allows me to climb easier and ride more confidently. I climbed up and over roots and trunks that I wouldn't event attempt before. It's amazing the difference between this 29er and my old 26 Trek. The steel frame is very comfortable and absorbs the bumps better. I didn't feel as "beat up" after a one hour ride. The hydraulic Juicy brakes work well. You get a lot of value and decent components for $1050. Love the classic Dragon frame with the blue paint. Very happy with it!

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Woods

Purchased At:   Peddler in Long Bran

Similar Products Used:   Old bike was a 2001 Trek 6500

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by T_woot a Racer from Auburn

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    853 Steel give you a very nice ride along with the 29" wheels, faster and smoother riding than 26" full susp trail bikes, full xt minus the brakes is awesome!

Weaknesses:    juicy threes kind of suck, they are codes or some thing for 2011 but they could probably go elixir carbons to complete this package. but still my one of my favorite bikes right now by far

Bottom Line:
Love this bike, the 2011's look great too. If you buy this bike you will adore the hell out of it and really like riding it up and down the hill. I switched out the bars for something nice and wide, my Dragon29 is set up as an aggressive xc bike its way too much fun.

Favorite Trail:   Connector

Purchased At:   Breakaway Bikes

Similar Products Used:   NINER SIR9, NINER 0NE9, Marin's single speed steel bike forget the title, Kona Hei Hei 2-9

Bike Setup:   Gravity carbon 711mm bars, ztr flow wheels tubeless with Geax and WTB tires, all else is stock.

Submitted by CoburgNorthRider a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame. The smoothest hardtail I have ridden. 29 inch wheels roll fast. Climbs really well. I've got the 2009 which has the cool black / silver flamed paint job, don't really like the 2010 Blue paint.

Weaknesses:    Brake rub. The rear mounts are not in line with the wheel ,so I intent to try and bend them into alignment.

Bottom Line:
I'm really happy with this bike. Being tall (6'3") this bike feels just right. I have the 19 inch model with the seat post fully extended. The larger wheels make this bike really fast and being single speed it is great to hammer up the hills. It is a little frustrating going downhill though as you can't grab a higher gear for max speed. I am contemplating putting gears on it at some stage, but for now I'm enjoying the challenge and fitness single speeding brings. I really recommend this bike as the steel frame makes it much more forgiving than an aluminum framed hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Forrest

Purchased At:   UpFront Adelaide

Similar Products Used:   My first 29er and single speed. The perfect alternative to my Giant Trance X trail bike.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded front disc rotor to 7 inch. Flat pedals. Shorter stem and higher bars.
Changed rear sprocket for 17 tooth. I took off the lockout as I never use them.

Submitted by Numb Bum a Weekend Warrior from Palm Coast, FL, US

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Solid steel 29'er frame. Juicy 3 brakes, solid cranks, good all around tires. The bike fits well, feels capable and inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    Chain tensions with small diameter set screws in the horiz dropouts, easy to break if you do not pay close attention. Handlebars could come wider.

Bottom Line:
Size Large (19") for clydesdale. Was packed very well with no damage from shipping. I opted for the pro build which is free. Well worth it since I didn't have to worry about facing and reaming the bottom bracket shell or the headtupbe. Also let me ride it on same day of delivery.

Took it for a lap on my local trail (Graham Swamp in FL) and had to retension chain about 5 times until it stopped stretching. Later in the ride, this was a non-issue. Bike handles great. Not a race bike by any means, but compared to my 6" fully, it was plenty light and nimble. I added some small bar ends to the handlebar which really helped with extra leverage for the climbs.

This was my first ride on a 29'er and I could feel the difference in the momentum and bump compliance compared to my old 26'er SS as well as my fully.

This bike at this pricepoint is targeted at the 1st time 29'er consumer. Excellent value with durable parts. This bike can fill the roll of all around xc or trail bike. Not made for jumping but I am sure it can handle some intermediate level obstacles. This is an excellent addition to anyone's bike quiver.

Favorite Trail:   Graham Swamp

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   96 Mongoose chromoly with 85mm fork.

Bike Setup:   100mm RS Tora Air Race, Juicy 3 brakes, Truvative cranks & BB, Cane Creek headset, 2.1 Maxxis Minions, WTB saddle and wheels, SS drivetrain, and ritchey stem and seatpost.

Dragon with Fat Tires

What's the biggest tire folks have tried with the current Dragon Frame geometry. Curious to build up something like a Instigator 2.0 and wondering how large of a diameter tire you guys have gotten onto it.Read More »

2013 Jamis Dragon 650 Sport vs 2011 Moto Fantom Pro

Hey guys, I was looking for some help. I have had an eye on a Jamis Dragon 650 Sport that has recently gone on sale at LBS ($950). It rides great, though I am not sure if I want a 650. I have a 29er currently and don't have any confidence on it. I felt alot better on 26ers. So I also started ... Read More »

Tokul 4130 or Jamis Dragon Sport

Which one is the better bike. Has anybody ridden both of these?Read More »

Jamis Dragon 650b sizing

Hey all, Anyone riding a Dragon ? I've got a shot at a 19" 2013 but it's an hour drive from me. I'm 5' 11" with 33" inseam. Top tube measurement looks good but i need some stand over. Jamis lists it at 32.68" just don't want to drive an hour to find out its too big. Any info would be ap ... Read More »

Dragon Pro 26 seatpost clamp