Jamis Dragon One 29er Hardtail

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

• Frame Reynolds 520 chromoly main tubes and stays, reinforced head tube collars, gusseted down tube, conversion cable stops & hose cradles, horizontal dropouts with slotted international disc brake mounts
  • Fork Rock Shox Tora Race Solo Air, Motion Control damping with external low-speed-to-lock compression & rebound damping, remote lockout, alloy steerer, 100mm travel
  • Headset Aheadset, external cups, with 20mm shim stack, 1 1/8”
  • Wheels WTB Laser Disc Trail eyeletted rims, 32H, Formula alloy disc hubs, WTB 14g stainless steel spokes
  • Tires Geax Saguaro 29 x 2.2”, folding
  • Derailleurs N/A
  • Shiftlevers N/A
  • Chain KMC Z8
  • Cassette Relic 9:1 cog spacer with 20T cog
  • Crankset TruVativ FireX SingleSpeed, 33T chainring, 175mm (all sizes)
  • BB Set TruVativ Giga-X external bearing
  • Pedals N/A
  • Brakeset Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, Juicy levers and 160mm rotors
  • Handlebar Ritchey Mountain Pro flat bar, 31.8 x 10º x 700mm
  • Stem Ritchey OS, 31.8 bar bore x 6D rise x 90mm (15”), 105mm (17”), & 120mm (19-21”)
  • Grips Jamis Lock-On, dual density
  • Seat Post Ritchey, 27.2 x 350mm, with alloy QR clamp
  • Saddle WTB Speed V Sport with SL cover
  • Sizes 15”, 17”, 19”, 21”
  • Color Blue Smoke
  • Weight 28.00 lbs

Submitted by bikewrench a Cross Country Rider from Hanover, PA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    COLOR, narrow chainstays( I am running a narrow 2.1), really don't like the track ends

Bottom Line:
This frameset is decent for the price. I work @ a shop and we carry Jamis which led me to this purchase. The color was hiddeous. I sanded, painted and repaneled it after three rides. The stays seem really narrow and I am not a big fan of the horizontal drop outs. Gonna ride this til I can order up my Siren John Henry.

Favorite Trail:   the ones I get to ride

Purchased At:   Simplicity Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Misfit Dissent, Surly Karate Monkey

Bike Setup:   2011 frame(repainted matte white w/ custom panels), Salsa fork, BB7s, Deore LX crank, Salsa controls, WTB WW frt& Sagauro rear

Submitted by CoburgNorthRider a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame. The smoothest hardtail I have ridden. 29 inch wheels roll fast. Climbs really well. I've got the 2009 which has the cool black / silver flamed paint job, don't really like the 2010 Blue paint.

Weaknesses:    Brake rub. The rear mounts are not in line with the wheel ,so I intent to try and bend them into alignment.

Bottom Line:
I'm really happy with this bike. Being tall (6'3") this bike feels just right. I have the 19 inch model with the seat post fully extended. The larger wheels make this bike really fast and being single speed it is great to hammer up the hills. It is a little frustrating going downhill though as you can't grab a higher gear for max speed. I am contemplating putting gears on it at some stage, but for now I'm enjoying the challenge and fitness single speeding brings. I really recommend this bike as the steel frame makes it much more forgiving than an aluminum framed hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Forrest

Purchased At:   UpFront Adelaide

Similar Products Used:   My first 29er and single speed. The perfect alternative to my Giant Trance X trail bike.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded front disc rotor to 7 inch. Flat pedals. Shorter stem and higher bars.
Changed rear sprocket for 17 tooth. I took off the lockout as I never use them.

Submitted by Numb Bum a Weekend Warrior from Palm Coast, FL, US

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Solid steel 29'er frame. Juicy 3 brakes, solid cranks, good all around tires. The bike fits well, feels capable and inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    Chain tensions with small diameter set screws in the horiz dropouts, easy to break if you do not pay close attention. Handlebars could come wider.

Bottom Line:
Size Large (19") for clydesdale. Was packed very well with no damage from shipping. I opted for the pro build which is free. Well worth it since I didn't have to worry about facing and reaming the bottom bracket shell or the headtupbe. Also let me ride it on same day of delivery.

Took it for a lap on my local trail (Graham Swamp in FL) and had to retension chain about 5 times until it stopped stretching. Later in the ride, this was a non-issue. Bike handles great. Not a race bike by any means, but compared to my 6" fully, it was plenty light and nimble. I added some small bar ends to the handlebar which really helped with extra leverage for the climbs.

This was my first ride on a 29'er and I could feel the difference in the momentum and bump compliance compared to my old 26'er SS as well as my fully.

This bike at this pricepoint is targeted at the 1st time 29'er consumer. Excellent value with durable parts. This bike can fill the roll of all around xc or trail bike. Not made for jumping but I am sure it can handle some intermediate level obstacles. This is an excellent addition to anyone's bike quiver.

Favorite Trail:   Graham Swamp

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   96 Mongoose chromoly with 85mm fork.

Bike Setup:   100mm RS Tora Air Race, Juicy 3 brakes, Truvative cranks & BB, Cane Creek headset, 2.1 Maxxis Minions, WTB saddle and wheels, SS drivetrain, and ritchey stem and seatpost.

Submitted by balance_fit a Weekend Warrior from Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    Dragon ONE 09: Ready to ride off the box after short setup.
Steel frame effectively tames the roots, rocks and small drops with a slight 'thud' and no jarring like aluminum HT used to be.
Big wheels make all of the trail seem suddenly smoother, no need to readjust spoke tension or truing after first ride break in.
2.1 Maxxis Ignitor provide excellent traction on hardpack, loose and rooty twisty terrain. At 180 lbs with light gear i used 30F/35R psi with great results, no pinch flats.
Geometry is spot on, maneuverable on the tights and at the same time tame enough on tricky downhills, sharp turns, berms, roots, rocks and sand patches.
Avid Juicy 3, while some people dislike them, i find they provide nice modulation and enough power to control speed at all times. These don't drag or fade: my test trail's downhills, although steep, rooty, or loose, are none longer than 2 minutes. Longer downhills could make brakes behave differently. In those conditions, a larger front rotor will definitely help.
The locking Tora Solo Air is a welcome addition because of it's 1 inch travel when locked out via handlebar poplock, a nice addition. I pumped up the air for a firm ride, so no squishiness is felt.
FireX cranks work well, no detectable flex. Chain lost some tension, which was expected due to break in stretch, but no sagging.
Rear end quick release and tensioning screws worked fine, no slipping, even after heavy hammering some steep sections.
Ritchey handlebar, nice @ 27 inch length, stem and seatpost are ok for this bike's price point.
Aheadset remained tight after initial setup.
WTB Speed V is cushy enough to remain seated over irregular terrain, seat clamp never slipped.

Weaknesses:    FireX cranks, after 1 ride, lost the black paint where my shoes rubbed the crankarm.
RockShox Tora Solo Air lost it's rebound plastic adjust cap after first ride.

Bottom Line:
This review is for first time impression which will be updated with a 6 month follow up. I tested the bike on a 7 km loop which includes everything from twisty up/downhills, loose, rocky, rooty terrain, berms, sand patches, grassy areas, flowy lines, and steps. All in a base of hardpacked sand, which when dry, becomes quite tricky.
I am 5'11" 175 lb dry, 45yr weekend warrior with 7 years mtb experience. I ride conservatively, don't jump off anything higher than 6" steps and watch my speed on downhills. I got the 17 inch model, tailor made for my dimensions.
This review corresponds to the 09 model. The 2010 model has been slightly changed, 0.4 inch shorter chainstays and Geax Saguaros, which, for muddy and loose surfaces, may step behind the Ignitors.
As a long time 26er FS rider this rather extreme change (to a 29er, SS and hardtail) was in part motivated by the need of a new challenge in mtb. Happy with the change, because this is a full body workout! No more letting suspension handle most of the work, the rider becomes again an integral part of the ride.
Going SS from being geared, apart from the work, means sharper reading of lines and early attacks on hills, rewarded by instant submission of geared climbers behind and "step aside or i will ride over you" situations for the geared riders ahead.
Maneuverability has suddenly taken a whole new meaning: while on my FS 26er i stuttered on some very twisty and tight uphill sections with 3-4 inch roots thrown in for teasing, this 29er is so stable that i can just slow myself to a crawl, negotiate the roots, twist and dance, and take off uphill.
This SS 29er experience is a retraining experience as a whole. And a very enjoyable one. I feel more confident on tricky sections as well as on downhills.
As many riders become older or finickier they go the Full Suspension easy way, i went the SS, 29er FULL BODY way.
No turning back to 26 or FS.
This Jamis Dragon is an excellent way of making my legs burn and my lungs fire up. The experience, for the price, is very worthwhile.

Favorite Trail:   Cerro Gordo

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   I started mtbking on a 26er ALU HT for a year. Then to FS via Jamis: Dakar Sport FS, Dakar XLT and now the Dragon ONE. Jamis sets up a good deal for the price.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for: pedals which i switched Crank Brother's Acid, handlebar grips for ergonomic Serfas.
May upgrade later with carbon seatpost and handlebar. If appropiate, a lighter WTB saddle too. Not in a hurry to upgrade, though.
Tubeless coming soon.

2012 Dragon One 29er SS

Anyone notice in the 2012 catalog the 29er SS has a different rear dropout/slider I see Trek did the same thing with there 29er SS. Looks like it will be much easier to fix a flat with this setup and set the chain tension glad I held off on finding a used Dragon 29er SS frame.Read More »

Jamis Dragon One or Niner SIR?

Well it's getting close to that time of year when I put away the geared bike & pull out or build up a single speed. My SS I have now is a chameleon. Seeing how I have move onto 29inch wheels on my geared race ride (AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I LOVE IT). I want to build up a 29 SS. My geared bike is a Niner ... Read More »

Dragon One built w/ gears?

I know most who buy a Dragon One buy it to build as a SS. Just wondering if it can be built with gears. If anyone has done this, do you have any pics/ ride descriptions? Thanks.Read More »

Jamis Dragon One SS photo thread

Just picked up my first 29er. Bought it from the lbs as a custom build, 2011 Dragon One by Jamis. Size 21" . Could not be happier with it.. Plans, are obviously pedals firstly, than perhaps a nice shock fork up front. I haven't seen many of these so if you have one show er off! Read More »

jamis dragon one 29er plus kit

just stopped by my local lbs. I am interested in the 2011 jamis dragon one 29er. It lists as a frame and fork only for 450. the lbs called his jamis rep and said that the componets from the 2010 dragon one minus the suspension fork are also being sold as a kit for 400. any opinions out there ? and n ... Read More »