Jamis Dragon 29er 29er Hardtail

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Don't missThis opportunityTo start a 29'er build at a great price! Proven, reliable, lightweight Reynolds 853 steelTubing isThe highlight here.The benefits of bigger 29'er wheels are well-stated and known atThis point. Dragon has been a legend for years with classic hardtail geometry, and now it's even better withThe leapTo 29" wheels. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Submitted by greg swanson

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    frame, geometry

Weaknesses:    seatpost clamp

Bottom Line:
shopped for a reynolds dragon 853 19" 29er for 6 months. finally found it on craigslist in dallas. Called the guy and he shipped it up for me - great deal. Bike is fantastic to ride. rolls over everything. corners great for a 29. frame is stiff, light, and fast! I love the supple yet resilient ride of steel bikes. This jamis is everything I wanted. The brakes are super! the shifting is like glass! up and downhill this bike just performs and performs. I would choose this over all the specialized stuff all my friends ride. I don't think any of it compares. buy a dragon, then fix the seat clamp, and you'll be good!

Submitted by Themaiklmanismydad a Cross Country Rider from Wilm

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Weaknesses:    Bottom Bracket

Bottom Line:
The bottom bracket died with 450 miles on it. I'm still happy with the rest of the bike, but the BB should not have failed that early. Seemed to get debris in it right from the start.

Submitted by theMailmanismydad a Cross Country Rider from Wilm,DE

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    nice quality steel frame with lifetime warranty.All components seem to be very of good quality.

Weaknesses:    not really sure yet , but the bottom bracket and cranks my be the weak point.

Bottom Line:
This is for the blood red 2011 model.This is the first quality bike I've owned and so far I'm happy with it.I've never had a suspension fork before, but the Reba is very smooth and hassle free. The American classic hubs roll very fast,noticeably faster than my old wheels;and the rims are working very well set up tubeless.I dropped about a pound off the bikes weight going tubeless. Ran a 1x9 set up on my old bike and never wanted the problems that come along with a front derailleur, but the extra few gears high and low have grown on me;really like the 2X10. The only problems I've had with the front derailleur is slippage due to the rubber shim used to make up the difference from the steel frames narrower seat tube. There has been a couple of occasions when the bottom bracket has had some debris get past the seals and has bound up a bit. Had the shop clean it once , but the second I was able to free it up. This might be an issue with the quality of the bottom bracket because I don't submerge the bike in deep water crossing and generally try to keep it clean(I also do not use a water hose when cleaning so that's not the problem).Bottom line: very nice bike that won't set any weight records(27# as I have it), but rides smooth and looks good. I'll give it 4 for value just because I'm cheap and it hard for me to part with this kind of money for a bike.

Favorite Trail:   Brandywine

Purchased At:   Henry's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   steel Redline d440

Bike Setup:   all stock except for Ergon GS3 grips

Submitted by T_woot a Racer from Auburn

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    853 Steel give you a very nice ride along with the 29" wheels, faster and smoother riding than 26" full susp trail bikes, full xt minus the brakes is awesome!

Weaknesses:    juicy threes kind of suck, they are codes or some thing for 2011 but they could probably go elixir carbons to complete this package. but still my one of my favorite bikes right now by far

Bottom Line:
Love this bike, the 2011's look great too. If you buy this bike you will adore the hell out of it and really like riding it up and down the hill. I switched out the bars for something nice and wide, my Dragon29 is set up as an aggressive xc bike its way too much fun.

Favorite Trail:   Connector

Purchased At:   Breakaway Bikes

Similar Products Used:   NINER SIR9, NINER 0NE9, Marin's single speed steel bike forget the title, Kona Hei Hei 2-9

Bike Setup:   Gravity carbon 711mm bars, ztr flow wheels tubeless with Geax and WTB tires, all else is stock.

Submitted by sage455 a Weekend Warrior from Northeastern Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    OK....I absolutely love this bike! I'm a Jamis fan and have owned and beat the crap out of a few and they just keep on ticking. I was looking for a 29er and looked at everything (Specialized, GF, Felt..you name it). With the component mix and Steel Frame this bike was a great choice. Going from a 26 to a 29 has upped my game, giving me a ton more confidence and ultimately more fun. This bike climbs like Godzilla, rolls over any log obstacle and flat out MF'in flies downhill!!! I'm a Clyde, 6'1" and 220 and have a 19" frame, it's a great fit. You can throw this bike around twisties like a 26, fantastic geometry for me. It's just a cool bike.

Weaknesses:    A couple of loose spokes in the rear wheel after my first ride.
The handlebars seem a little wide, I may trim them down a little

Bottom Line:
Great bike, my first 29er and I admit...I'm a believer. Go and get one...it's so cool. Even the color is cool (Hemp on the 2008, gotta love it)

Favorite Trail:   Harmony Hills, Marsh Creek, French Creek

Purchased At:   Loweriders

Similar Products Used:   GF Cobia
Specialized Stumpjumper
Jamis Durango 2.0

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Joshkerkhof a Cross Country Rider from Cypress, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Geometry, Ride Quality, Material, PRICE POINT!!!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
LOVE THIS BIKE!! I am about to get the D29 frame (jamis Carbon) in Jan!

Favorite Trail:   Cypress Wood

Purchased At:   Lone Star Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Scalpel

Bike Setup:   Sram x.0, race face dues, thomson, white brothers magic, mavic crossmax 29

Submitted by bankofdad a Cross Country Rider from Pa.

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    The steel frame is awesome no flexing that I can tell,the reba dual air with the poploc remote is really nice I set the air pressure to what the chart said and it was spot on did not have to change pressure to get the right feel,The tires are huge 2.2s and have decent grip,The picture on the web site does not show that the color has metallic in it I thought it was just plain mud brown.This bike is a 2009 and is a large.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I traded in a cannondale prophet and a cannondale jekyll for this bike and can truthfully say I have no remose for doing so the bike is so much more better in everyway,climbing,comfort,fit,the bike also filled the void I had for a xc bike that my Full Suspension 29er already took care of for all mountain riding.I am 5'11" if you are any shorter do not get a large you will have issues with stand over clearance.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Penn,French Creek,Blue Marsh

Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by fire-dog a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    Reynolds 853 tubing, Shimano XT drivetrain

Weaknesses:    Wheelset, REBA fork, Candy C pedals

Bottom Line:
I was so excited to get this bike but a load of liitle things have been really nagging me and i appreciate the fact that i could be the odd one out and most other people may not have these problems.

Firstly the rear tire seemed slightly out of true - however after several miles on the trail is was so bad it started rubbing on the frame. No matter how many times i tried reposition the tire it kept rubbing until i could get it back to the LBS. Trued the wheel, problem solved, but on that note, there is very little clearance with 2,2 tires and the chainstay. Like other people mentioned, troubles with the wheelset.

Next the Reba fork, to me at least it seems too soft. I added more air without much difference. On my last ride the poploc stopped working. I know it is convenient to have a poploc on the handlebar but i would go without in favor of something more consistent.

Another thing i notived the chainguard on the chainstay was positioned so far back that i was diggin into the paint after a few rides. I had to slap on another.

So what can i say, these are all annoying factors that detract from the fun of a new 29er. I will readily admit that when all these niggles are worked out the ride has been lived up to all the hype of steel frames and 29 in wheels. If i did not have these set up troubles I would def have given this bike 5 stars. Who know in 6 months time I might.

Don't talk to me about the pedals either!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   EMS

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale hardtail, Cannondale Rush full-suss

Bike Setup:   Inverted stem, Shimano pedals, trimmed down handlebars, ergon grips, extra chain-guard

Submitted by themountianman a Cross Country Rider from Schwenksville, PA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame feel. Great climber. Conquer large obstacles.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, average wheelset.

Bottom Line:
Bike is a demo I ride from the shop I work at. The bike rides very smooth. Only complaint I have is that the rear hub loosened up on me after only like 150 miles, and there were many loose spokes after a particular ride. I romped it that day, but i would have thought the wheel was good for it. A little slower than 26' but able to conquer more. Everything works great though, just can't fly downhill over very rocky terrain without having to true my R.wheel afterwards. The 30Lbs does not bother me much, the Reynolds tubing makes up for it. Overall a fine ride.

Favorite Trail:   Evansburg

Purchased At:   Tailwind Bicyles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale 29er 1, GF Xcalibur, GF HiFi29er plus.

Bike Setup:   New grips and saddle.

Submitted by GabeR a Cross Country Rider from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Rockshox Reba, XT componentry and most all of the other parts are excellent

Weaknesses:    wheels are a little on the heavy side and the grips are horrible, the paint chips rather easily too.

Bottom Line:
excellent parts spec for the most part. once i switched out the grips the bike rode very well. The only complaint I have about the ride is that it doesn't handle quite as quickly as a 26" bike. That's all right though, in some situations this worked to my advantage. The bike climbs very well and behaves well on the ride back down. I would definitely recommend this bike to anybody who wants to try a 29er or someone who is just looking around.

Favorite Trail:   Deerfield

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Motorless Motion

Similar Products Used:   non-29ers: bridgestone MB-1, dragon(26") 29ers: exile 29er

Bike Setup:   mostly stock

Submitted by Roger Billharz a Racer from Sleepy Hollow,New York

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2008

Strengths:    Good drive train, & fork . Bike will roll over anything. Verry comfortble bike to ride for a long time.

Weaknesses:    Wheels suck real pos ,seat post is weak I bent it in about a month.No replaceable derailer hanger bent it

Bottom Line:
Bottom line out of the box the bike wt 30lbs not 28 like Jamis web site said .the wheels suck real bad,if you get this bike do your self a flavor toss the wheels for good 1's .When i change the wheels to good ones the bike rock.I race it a few times .But I like my specialized s works hard tail better for racing[26"] it just climbs better .But for play & trail riding & having fun This bike is hard to beat.It just rolls over everything.& the steel frame is real comfortble it don't beat you up after a long ride. For the money it's hard to beat.When i want to go out & have fun on the trail I'll go for my dragon

Favorite Trail:   Monster trail @ blue mt

Price Paid:    $1949.00

Purchased At:   Briarcliff bike works

Similar Products Used:   cannondale ,specialized,salsa

Bike Setup:   stock drive train & fork .front wheel stan 's 355 with a american classic hub ,rear wheel stan's Arch with a king hub .easton SL monkey lite low rise bars,Thomson seat post

Submitted by marc from guilford

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2007

Strengths:    full XT drivetrain. reynolds 853 frame. rock shox reba race fork. awesome geometry.

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome choice if you're looking into getting a 29er. a big trend in the 29er world is rigid single speeds, but if you want a full out XC bike with gears and suspension, then this is the bike right out of the box. jamis really didn't skimp on the build of this bike. short of maybe putting your favorite saddle on the bike there is really no need to swap anything out, which is a rarity these days. the 853 tubing was the perfect choice for a hardtail trail bike.

the geometry is right on the money, too. i've been riding the 15" frame, which is their smallest size, and it rides amazingly well. i don't feel like i'm riding a 29er but rather a 26 that just rolls over junk very well, which is a testament to the design.

Similar Products Used:   surly karate monkey, jamis exile 29er.

Bike Setup:   stock.

100mm 29er fork on Dragon 650?

I'm thinking of building up a Dragon 650b. I have a 100mm Fox Terralogic fork on my 29er hardtail and I love that fork. The axle-to-crown length is the same on the 100mm 29er fork as on the White Bros 650b 120mm fork that comes stock on the Dragon 650, so it seems like the 100mm 29er would work fi ... Read More »

Jamis Dragon 29er pro vs sport frame weight

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the frame weights of the Dragon 29er pro versus the 29er sport? I know they are made from different types of steel 853 vs 521.Read More »

2012 Dragon One 29er SS

Anyone notice in the 2012 catalog the 29er SS has a different rear dropout/slider I see Trek did the same thing with there 29er SS. Looks like it will be much easier to fix a flat with this setup and set the chain tension glad I held off on finding a used Dragon 29er SS frame.Read More »

Help with sizing Dragon Sport 29er suggestions needed quick

I had my lbs order a Jamis Dragon 29er for me yesterday. Well, I paid for it, but they can't order until Tuesday. They suggested I get a 21 inch based on my height (almost 6'2) and my standover height, 33.5. They did not have a Dragon in stock, so I rode to other bikes, a large Raleight talus ... Read More »

jamis dragon one 29er plus kit

just stopped by my local lbs. I am interested in the 2011 jamis dragon one 29er. It lists as a frame and fork only for 450. the lbs called his jamis rep and said that the componets from the 2010 dragon one minus the suspension fork are also being sold as a kit for 400. any opinions out there ? and n ... Read More »