Jamis Dragon 29 Sport 29er Hardtail

• SRAM PG-950 cassette, 9 speed
  • Avid Juicy 3 disc brakes

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable smooth ride, quality components, looks awesome

Weaknesses:    Seat post clamp

Bottom Line:
I love my Dragon. I just got into mountain biking to extend riding into the cold weather months (road riding in the cold= not fun). I tested a half dozen bikes and the Dragon was by far the best. Shifts are smooth and reliable, breaking with the Shimano hydralic breaks is incredible, but the best is the ride. It is amazing how the 29 inch wheels, rock shock fork, and steel frame absorb the pounding and smooth out the trail. You can stay in the seat more, take less pounding, and have better control. I had rented a Giant rev 29er from another bike shop and the whole time the bike was vibrating under me and the chain was slapping over every bump. I rode 5 other aluminum bikes and none could match the ride. I also tried a steel frame Surly, but it cost more and just wasn't as nice. I got a great deal on a closeout 2013 and have been out in the snow, the dark, and cold but I love it.

Submitted by Tony H a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    Climbs like a beast
Good Component Set for the most part
Good Shock

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side

Bottom Line:
I got mine at Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) for $1000 plus tax and pedals. Since I got it I've probably put around 100 miles on it. My typical ride is 25% road and 75% off.

Much of my opinion is based on my previous bike, which is pretty much all I have to compare it to.

It's my first 29er. Having come from a Giant ATX 890 Race bike from about 1998...the Dragon Sport is quite different. One of the first things I noticed is that the bike fits me better. I'm 6' tall 270-230LBs which is big for a rider so I always felt a little too big for a regular mtn bike. The ride position is good and I rarely get the feeling that I have to lean back because I'm too hunched forward.

Another one of the main differences I noticed with the bike is that it's a little more difficult to negotiate very slow and technical areas, probably due to the bigger wheel. I think the ability to go over bigger obstacles with less trouble is a better trade-off because in my riding I don't often experience those tight technical trails that often.

This is also my first bike with SRAM components. At first I was rather disappointed. The gears clicked during and after shifting, and the experience compared to the previous XT/XTR setup I had was...not as good. This may have been due to whoever setup the bike. Whether it was EMS or Jamis they failed to adjust it properly and tighten everything as it should have been when purchased. As a result...

When I was riding on the road to get to the trail I had my front derailuer loosen up when shifting and get wedged between the chain and sprocket. I was pissed...and had to get a ride home. After fixing that, on my next ride I managed to get the rear derailuer stuck in the spokes and take a trip above the hub. Bent spokes, bend derailler hanger, broken rear derailer. Again pissed and not sure of the reason I decided to take it in to EMS to have them fix both derailers and the squeeky brake. And chalk it up for the first maintenance now that the cables have been stretched.

After their tuneup it still was horrible at shifting so I brought it in again after I figured out the source of the problem. When the front derailler came loose it bent the middle chainring just enough to cause shifting problems. They replaced it.

Now that everything is working as it should and after the first tuneup the bike is running nicely. I've gotten used to the shifting and the bike is finally working as it should have when new. This bike is really nice to ride. I've been able to climb steeper and more slick surfaces than ever before. The geometry of the bike and the tire with its larger contact patch really does make a noticeable difference. The chromoly frame is also quite nice, and not as harsh as my previous AL bike.

I got on my buddys 26" Cannondale and it reminded me of how a bmx bike felt after riding a mountain bike for a while, light and nimble, but also more...twitchy. I quickly wanted back on my bike. It's more sure footed, stable, sized better and...it's mine. :)

In short, I really like the bike, and 29ERs in general for my type of riding. I'll have the bike for years to come. Other than the initial problems I had I don't really have much to complain about. The disk brakes, shock, and overall components meet my expectations for the price I paid for the bike. Other than the clipless pedals I've got on there the bike isn't screaming for any parts to be replaced.

Good bike, get it.

Purchased At:   Eastern Mountain Spo

Submitted by slowrollin99 a Cross Country Rider from Buffalo, NY, United States

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Sexy as hell, Blue STEEL. STRONG. I had someone clip me get their foot stuck between my rim and frame and broke nothing on the bike. The other guy on the trek was not so lucky.
Easily adjustable for multiple riding positions. I am a commuter and enjoy the riding position. You feel as though you are well seated within the bike. Weight falls just infront of the rear wheel.

Weaknesses:    NONE, I found that putting slicks (Big Apples) on this bike made it a beast in the streets. I only wish that it had frame mounts for a rack.

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the price. Quality Frame, Strong

Favorite Trail:   STREETS!

Purchased At:   EMS

Bike Setup:   Brooks B17, Schwalbe Big Apple, Everything else is stock.

Submitted by iowinos a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Overall value: quality cromo frame, decent parts spec for the money.

Weaknesses:    Really nothing so far. Avid Juicy 3 brakes have a bad reputation but after about 10 hrs of riding are working great. Top/head/downtube junction seems underbuilt and may prove flexy, but not a problem so far in rough rock gardens.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to get a quick review in for anyone thinking about buying, with the idea to update down the line. My initial rides on this bike have been on very rough trails and the bike has exceeded expectations. Frame is just what you would want - slight flex to smooth things out but responsive in climbs and turns. he headtube junction seems to leave room for a lot of flex up front but I've had no problems and that's just based on looks. Solid wheelset and tires are nicer than competitors at this price. Some of the more suspect parts are all working great: Juicy 3 brakes are very good so far, SRAM crank is an older design but working well. Tora TK fork's coil sping is a little wimpy for my 215 lbs, but it's working really well and the lockout is impressive for a lower end fork. Pretty paint job chips pretty easily is my only real gripe.

Favorite Trail:   Swope

Purchased At:   Volker Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango 29, Hard Rock Pro, Trek 7000, Rockhopper 29

Bike Setup:   Completely stock with clipless pedals

Submitted by JerseyDragonRider a Weekend Warrior from Fair Haven, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs up and over roots very well. Comfortable ride. Looks great. Great value for $.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, 6'2' 225 and basically a weekend warrior when it comes to riding. This bike makes me a lot better, despite me being somewhat out of shape and a little overweight. My Dragon Sport 29 is a major improvement over my 10 year old Trek 6500. The 29 format allows me to climb easier and ride more confidently. I climbed up and over roots and trunks that I wouldn't event attempt before. It's amazing the difference between this 29er and my old 26 Trek. The steel frame is very comfortable and absorbs the bumps better. I didn't feel as "beat up" after a one hour ride. The hydraulic Juicy brakes work well. You get a lot of value and decent components for $1050. Love the classic Dragon frame with the blue paint. Very happy with it!

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Woods