Jamis Dakota 29 29er Hardtail

4.48/5 (23 Reviews)
Weight : 29.50 lbs

• Frame: 7005 triple-butted
  • Fork: Rock Shox
  • Headset: WTB Race, internal cup type, 1 1/8"
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore LX, Rapidfire Plus-SL, 27-speed
  • Saddle: WTB Speed V Sport SE with SL top and steel rails
  • Seatpost: Easton EA30 micro-adjust

Submitted by Michael Krahl a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2014

Strengths:    Light, responsive and fast. Coming off a heavier Moto 29'er and now climbing hills I couldn't dream of with the Jamis. Solid and fast on the way down too.

Weaknesses:    Shifts a little rough and stock tires too skinny but am reaching just to mention a negative with this awesome bike

Bottom Line:
Have been riding mtn bikes since they were invented. Owned many top of line 26"s and one other 29'er before this. Is my last bike. Am 47 now and riding like I could 10 years ago again.

Purchased At:   Private sale(new dad

Submitted by Todd S.

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2014

Strengths:    SRAM 1050 Cassette stock
Avid Elixir 3's work great
Reba
Black Flag Comp Wheelset
Tubeless on delivery
X7 shifters

Weaknesses:    S1000 Cranks
Noisy freehub
Seat (everyone replaces that right?)
Ritchey bars are wonky

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for $1200 from Jenson knowing much of it was going to be upgraded. I got a BB30 set of XO 2x10 crank arms on ebay for $125 steal, put a $40 RaceFace narrow wide 34T 104 BCD ring on them and BANG! Sweet 1x10 setup.

The bars had to go after the first ride. Cute Ritchey reverse riser concept but not for me, too narrow. Stock seat was a brick. With a new seat, SLK 680mm carbon flat bars and the XO 1x10 conversion (minus front mech) it weighed in at 24.4 lbs. Thought I was going to be able to drop close to another pound by doing a tubeless conversion. I read they shipped with tubes. Upon deflating the tires I realized they were already tubeless (no sealant). Haven't leaked once after the first 144 miles. The Geax Mezcals are light and fast for hard pack and moderately loose stuff. They go straight to the suck on slickroot and muddy hills, you'll be spinnin like the wicked witch. The Black Flacg Comp freehub can wake the dead it's so loud.

I still give it a 4 chilli value because if you can still get one for $1200 or less and know you will need to spend about $300 more on cranks and bars you really can't buy a better aluminum bike for around $1500. You'd have to go above $2100 and get a carbon frame, likely sporting lesser components.

Submitted by stephen kim a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Light and fast. Orgasm on wheels.

Weaknesses:    the front gears are not as smooth as I hoped.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding for over 30 years since I was 2 years old. The D29 is a hidden gem. The carbon back tube helps with the smoothing out bumps and the front shocks coupled with a tapered tube does wonders for the front end feel. Did I mention it comes tubeless. Riding this bike is like having a new girlfriend you always dreamed about.

Submitted by MaverickMRO a Racer from vacaville, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff, good groupset, reasonable price, good customer service, easy tubeless conversion

Weaknesses:    XO instead of XX (not really a weakness)

Bottom Line:
Very light bike that flies up hills and is stable on the descent. Very impressed with the front end stiffness and the rapid responsiveness of this bike. At first I got on and felt a little bit like driving a Cadillac around the parking lot, then put it on the trail and it quickly felt like a very responsive sports car. easy acceleration great top speed. Supper easy to convert to tubeless and nice starting tires. Would recommend to anyone who is looking for a good price effective race bike. will update if anything changes in the next couple of months as the race season progresses.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn Ca

Purchased At:   Velowrench

Similar Products Used:   BMC four stroke (XTR), Niner EMD (X9)

Bike Setup:   Full XO, AM classic tubeless,

Submitted by AXOP a Weekend Warrior from Naples, Fl. USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great overall value, good X9 setup, tuned in, bike tracks and rolls very well

Weaknesses:    Jamis customer service, warranty and support is really poor to say at least.
Do not expect any support or courtesy from them past the obvious.
Even if they are aware of a major product defect they still make you pay for labor which in my case was more then the defective products value (thats their game).
Jamis saved money on main components such as wheels (WTB Speed TCS) which will not hold up for long.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, handles well,good components (X9) for price.
Be prepared for no service / warranty / support past the obvious.
Try to find a phone number for Jamis.....none is listed on their whole web page.

Purchased At:   A.E Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Pivot 429, Linskey Pro, Tallboy

Bike Setup:   X9, NOW Chris King with Stans Flow and DT swiss comp spokes, Thudbuster, 1070 casette, salsa, carbon FSA, etc.

Submitted by Giddyupgoose a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    Very light. Climbs great even w/ a 42/27 crankset! This bike shifts smooooth! Wheelset is light and takes a beating!

Weaknesses:    not a big fan of the tires. Only one spot for water bottle on 17"

Bottom Line:
This is my first Jamis, first 29er, first "real" race bike... I am sold. Light frame with awesome components. This is a complete bike, no need for ANY up grades. This one will make your buddies jealous.

Favorite Trail:   Palo Dulo Canyon

Purchased At:   one year old

Similar Products Used:   first 29er, and i wont go back to 26"

Bike Setup:   kenda slant 6, XX brakes, foam grips, eggbeater 2, Avatar saddle

Submitted by CHRIS DAUGHERTY a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    GOAT,GOAT,GOAT..SPEED, SPEED, SPEED = RULES

Weaknesses:    TIRES NEED TO BE BIGGER ..

Bottom Line:
I AM IN LOVE...

Favorite Trail:   ALLAIRE

Purchased At:   PEDDLER

Submitted by carlpretzel a Racer from Colfax NC

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    Weight XO Group. Fox Fork Taperhead and 15QR.

Weaknesses:    Wheelbase between large and med frames

Bottom Line:
Great Looks and great price. Total bang for the buck!

Purchased At:   Cycletherapy

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC1 29er

Bike Setup:   Kenda Slat Six 29x2.0 tubeless. Fox RLC Fork taperhead set and 15mmQR.

Submitted by j.t. tex a Cross Country Rider from dallas,texas

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    This is a review for the 2011 not the 2010..Great frame and parts group...lightweight..22.8lbs with eggbeaters...only swapped out tires and grips everything else is stock...good for full on racers or anybody that wants an affordable,lightweight,carbon hardtail 29er

Weaknesses:    Tires needed to be swapped out to Maxxis Ikons...personal preference

Bottom Line:
An Amazing Full Carbon 29er with all the right parts standard..the only thing i didnt like was the grips and tires but who doesnt swap that stuff out? Light weight...great carbon hardtail....priced right at just over 4gs

Favorite Trail:   big cedar

Purchased At:   Dallas Bike Works

Similar Products Used:   Van Dessel Jersey Devil 29 2009
Orbea Lanza 29 2009

Bike Setup:   Full Sram Xo/Fox Fork/American Classic Tubeless 29er Wheelset...all stock

Submitted by MichaelCycle a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    this thing rolls over everything. I love this bike so much and do no regret purchasing it. The juicy 3's work great for me and I have not had any problems with them. The fork lockout system turns out to be very useful.

Weaknesses:    The weight is average. It could be lighter.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great. I got it for such a cheap price too. I would definantly recommend this to a friend. if you are having any doubts, give it a ride and you will not be disapointed

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   haro flightline

Submitted by Timur_j a Weekend Warrior from Almaty (Kazakhstan)

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Spec is good for '08 model on sale.

Weaknesses:    high BB, heavy wheeels.

Bottom Line:
+: very impressive ride, good climbing and even more exicted on descent.
-: heavy wheels -> heavy, slow bike.
Still puzzled with RS Reba tuning (26-Reba and SID worked good, but this 29-version is different).

P.S. some RS 100 mm air forks come with 10 mm spacer into left leg, so real travel is 90 mm (removing will provide 100 mm travel and adding extra - 80 mm).

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   96er titanuim with rigid fork.

Bike Setup:   Frameset with shifters-der-rs + LX cranks-540 pedals, Thomson seatpost-stem, SelleItalia Flite, Answer Protaper handelbar, WTB grips (not those slippery which came with bike), 775 XT brakes-XTR rotors, wheels: front - Laserdisk-XT, rear Heavy-Duty Fr-XT, both with No Tubes.

Submitted by Jason Barton a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff and fairly light, wide gear range, solid component spec.

Weaknesses:    Stock Shimano/WTB wheels and Deore front derailleur could be better.

Bottom Line:
This bike is an XC monster! The stiff carbon frame, big wheels, wide gear range and remote lockout shock urge me to mash the pedals and ride faster. With a pretty solid component spec and competitive price point, it holds its own against the more well known brands...

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   A Road Bike 4U

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Rig '06 & '08, 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29, misc geared and SS H/T 26" mountain bikes...

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR pedals, Bontrager Big Sweep handlebars, Bontrager Race Disc front wheel. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by jcmtbfreak a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Corners on hardpack like it's on rails. Likes aggressive out of the saddle climbing on fast, smooth ascents. Frame construction. Component selection. Brakes have great modulation. Reba race!

Weaknesses:    Seatpost. Stock seat. Reba poploc. Wheels are a bit chunky. Has a tendency to push through sandy corners. Brakes don't have much overall stopping power. Didn't come with the 100mm Reba as the Jamis literature and website had spec'd.

Bottom Line:
Overall,I really like this bike. I don't regret getting it at all. But there have been some hiccups along the way. First, one of the biggest reasons I ordered the Dakota 29 over other brands 29ers was that I wanted a 100mm fork, and to get a reba race at that! WOW! That was honestly the biggest selling point for me, considering that all bikes in this price range had the SLX and XT blend. So to say the least, I was dissappointed when the bike arrived with an 80mm reba attached up front. Not crushed, but definitely a letdown.

Then the stock seat was horribly uncomfy AND had short rails. And being that this bike has a steeper seattube angle, I couldn't move it far enough back for a good pedaling position. Swapped out for my old speed v with longer rails, problems fixed.

After that, I realized that the Ritchey double bolt seatpost is junk. No matter how much I tighten it down, it creaks and pops and over the course of two weeks or so of riding, it tilts up. Carbon post is coming soon.

Finally, the poploc went out on my after a few rides. Called rockshock, they sent a new dampening unit no charge. I requested, a poploc unit, but they sent the manual. Not a big deal though, because I really like the motion control dampening system, so i'll leave it locked out all the time.

It's not the lightest bike out there, but I have my large down to 28 after installing a stans kit. New set of wheels I could have it down to a somewhat competitive 26. The geometry on this bike doesnt feel quite as 'refined' as other bikes I've ridden, but it does well and is a blast to ride. The position on the bike is great for climbing, though the wheel weight hinders a bit. Putting the stans kit on has helped noticably with that. Has a nice open cockpit. Again, great for climbing and out of the saddle stuff, but when going through the technicals and drops I sometimes wish for a bit shorter stem. I'm considering going from a 120 to a 110 or 100. Prolly 110. The only downside I have about the handling is corning in loose sandy conditions. My weight is front biased on the bike, so it'll carve a hardpack corner, but tends to push through sandy ones. Again, not a big deal breaker, but a slight annoyance that a little refinement from Jamis could fix.

On a minor note, I feel like the seat tube angle is steeper than 73, at least it feels that way. I could be wrong.

Overall, 4 chilis. Great bike, good components. I don't regret spending the money at all (Though I still want a 100mm fork!!) If you can find an 09 on sale, grab it, swap the seat and seatpost, and you're set for many miles of singletrack fun!

Purchased At:   Blue Hills Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd Jamis Exile SS, and various other 29ers. 98' Trek 930 26er...the retired steed.

Bike Setup:   Eggbeaters, stans tubless kit, odi lock on grips.

Submitted by BackwardsTires a Weekend Warrior from US

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Great geometry, pretty light, fun to ride

Weaknesses:    stock parts are kinda low level (brakes could use an upgrade)

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for an entry level 29er, possibly as a first 29er, and you are OK with mid-range parts (or just want to use the frame), this is a great bike.

If you want better stock parts, go up a level.

Purchased At:   City Bikes

Bike Setup:   custom wheels from prowheelbuilder.com
otherwise stock

Submitted by kellyc a Cross Country Rider from Redlands

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Strengths:    Can't beat the simpleness of a hardtail, big wheels, bullet proof, rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls...

Weaknesses:    The stem and handlebars seemed week and too foo foo for me. My frame is the 2007 so there's a lot of black and gray going on...kinda looks a little "Raider Nation," which sucks because some of the most annoying people in SoCal are all about that scene.

I don't like the remote lockout on the fork. Looking for a kit to make it a tower lockout.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It reminds me of a big BMX cruiser. I literally bought it on a whim last fall. Jenson was blowing them out and I realized I could pick it up for around $900. I was looking for something simple to commute on and do "get in shape" style rides so I could keep my Jamis Dakar XLT fresh. I knew nothing about 29ers and did about an hour's worth of research and pulled the trigger on it.

To sum it up, I sold my Dakar last weekend. I ride this bike full time. Did I mention it rolls. It's so simple. Back to basics.

I realized I ride the middle ring. I just ordered a bash guard and a new rear cog. Going to covert it to a 1x9 to really get it basic.

Favorite Trail:   My loops out of my driveway

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Nothing. I've never paid any attention to 29ers.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Sette Carbon Riser Bar, Thompson 0deg stem, Crank Brothers Candies

What size headset 2007 Jamis Dakota 29?

I need to order a new headset for my 2007 Jamis Dakota 29. How do headsets work in terms of sizing? Can anyone tell me what size headset I need to order for my frame?Read More »

Dakota 29 headset specs?

The stock headset on my 09 Dakota 29 is shot. I don't know what happened. It's always been a bit stiff, but the last couple of rides if it's running so sticky you have to force the wheel where you want it. And to get it to run free, it has to be loose and rattling. I've messed with it more than I wa ... Read More »

Jamis Dakota 29?

Hello everyone...brand new to the forums. But I was trying to get a little input on the 2009 Jamis Dakota 29er. I'm relatively new to trail riding, but have been riding pretty hard for the past couple years...I say hard but definitely not great. ;) I've been riding a 2008 Jamis Durango 2, but kind o ... Read More »

Jamis Dakota 29'er:Who's riding one?

While I'd love to get a Niner, real world, I'll be damn lucky to swing something under 1K. I've always liked Jamis bikes (prefer their steel bikes, not too many of those left), and so I'm wondering if the Dakota would do it for me. 6 ft tall, 200lbs, noob technical skills, lots of rocky, demanding ... Read More »

Fisher X-Cal or Jamis Dakota 29'er....

What do everyone think. Looking for a the best 29er w/out breaking my bank. Both are similar in price. Don't really want to spend anymore than this. . ($1250.00 ballpark) Talked to a Jamis dealer- said nothing out there as complete bike compares for the $$$. Would love to hear some input.... Thank ... Read More »