Jamis Dakota 29 29er Hardtail

4.46/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 29.50 lbs

• Frame: 7005 triple-butted
  • Fork: Rock Shox
  • Headset: WTB Race, internal cup type, 1 1/8"
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore LX, Rapidfire Plus-SL, 27-speed
  • Saddle: WTB Speed V Sport SE with SL top and steel rails
  • Seatpost: Easton EA30 micro-adjust

Submitted by MichaelCycle a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    this thing rolls over everything. I love this bike so much and do no regret purchasing it. The juicy 3's work great for me and I have not had any problems with them. The fork lockout system turns out to be very useful.

Weaknesses:    The weight is average. It could be lighter.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great. I got it for such a cheap price too. I would definantly recommend this to a friend. if you are having any doubts, give it a ride and you will not be disapointed

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   haro flightline

Submitted by Timur_j a Weekend Warrior from Almaty (Kazakhstan)

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Spec is good for '08 model on sale.

Weaknesses:    high BB, heavy wheeels.

Bottom Line:
+: very impressive ride, good climbing and even more exicted on descent.
-: heavy wheels -> heavy, slow bike.
Still puzzled with RS Reba tuning (26-Reba and SID worked good, but this 29-version is different).

P.S. some RS 100 mm air forks come with 10 mm spacer into left leg, so real travel is 90 mm (removing will provide 100 mm travel and adding extra - 80 mm).

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   96er titanuim with rigid fork.

Bike Setup:   Frameset with shifters-der-rs + LX cranks-540 pedals, Thomson seatpost-stem, SelleItalia Flite, Answer Protaper handelbar, WTB grips (not those slippery which came with bike), 775 XT brakes-XTR rotors, wheels: front - Laserdisk-XT, rear Heavy-Duty Fr-XT, both with No Tubes.

Submitted by jcmtbfreak a Cross Country Rider from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Corners on hardpack like it's on rails. Likes aggressive out of the saddle climbing on fast, smooth ascents. Frame construction. Component selection. Brakes have great modulation. Reba race!

Weaknesses:    Seatpost. Stock seat. Reba poploc. Wheels are a bit chunky. Has a tendency to push through sandy corners. Brakes don't have much overall stopping power. Didn't come with the 100mm Reba as the Jamis literature and website had spec'd.

Bottom Line:
Overall,I really like this bike. I don't regret getting it at all. But there have been some hiccups along the way. First, one of the biggest reasons I ordered the Dakota 29 over other brands 29ers was that I wanted a 100mm fork, and to get a reba race at that! WOW! That was honestly the biggest selling point for me, considering that all bikes in this price range had the SLX and XT blend. So to say the least, I was dissappointed when the bike arrived with an 80mm reba attached up front. Not crushed, but definitely a letdown.

Then the stock seat was horribly uncomfy AND had short rails. And being that this bike has a steeper seattube angle, I couldn't move it far enough back for a good pedaling position. Swapped out for my old speed v with longer rails, problems fixed.

After that, I realized that the Ritchey double bolt seatpost is junk. No matter how much I tighten it down, it creaks and pops and over the course of two weeks or so of riding, it tilts up. Carbon post is coming soon.

Finally, the poploc went out on my after a few rides. Called rockshock, they sent a new dampening unit no charge. I requested, a poploc unit, but they sent the manual. Not a big deal though, because I really like the motion control dampening system, so i'll leave it locked out all the time.

It's not the lightest bike out there, but I have my large down to 28 after installing a stans kit. New set of wheels I could have it down to a somewhat competitive 26. The geometry on this bike doesnt feel quite as 'refined' as other bikes I've ridden, but it does well and is a blast to ride. The position on the bike is great for climbing, though the wheel weight hinders a bit. Putting the stans kit on has helped noticably with that. Has a nice open cockpit. Again, great for climbing and out of the saddle stuff, but when going through the technicals and drops I sometimes wish for a bit shorter stem. I'm considering going from a 120 to a 110 or 100. Prolly 110. The only downside I have about the handling is corning in loose sandy conditions. My weight is front biased on the bike, so it'll carve a hardpack corner, but tends to push through sandy ones. Again, not a big deal breaker, but a slight annoyance that a little refinement from Jamis could fix.

On a minor note, I feel like the seat tube angle is steeper than 73, at least it feels that way. I could be wrong.

Overall, 4 chilis. Great bike, good components. I don't regret spending the money at all (Though I still want a 100mm fork!!) If you can find an 09 on sale, grab it, swap the seat and seatpost, and you're set for many miles of singletrack fun!

Purchased At:   Blue Hills Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo'd Jamis Exile SS, and various other 29ers. 98' Trek 930 26er...the retired steed.

Bike Setup:   Eggbeaters, stans tubless kit, odi lock on grips.

Submitted by BackwardsTires a Weekend Warrior from US

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    Great geometry, pretty light, fun to ride

Weaknesses:    stock parts are kinda low level (brakes could use an upgrade)

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for an entry level 29er, possibly as a first 29er, and you are OK with mid-range parts (or just want to use the frame), this is a great bike.

If you want better stock parts, go up a level.

Purchased At:   City Bikes

Bike Setup:   custom wheels from prowheelbuilder.com
otherwise stock

Submitted by kellyc a Cross Country Rider from Redlands

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Strengths:    Can't beat the simpleness of a hardtail, big wheels, bullet proof, rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls...

Weaknesses:    The stem and handlebars seemed week and too foo foo for me. My frame is the 2007 so there's a lot of black and gray going on...kinda looks a little "Raider Nation," which sucks because some of the most annoying people in SoCal are all about that scene.

I don't like the remote lockout on the fork. Looking for a kit to make it a tower lockout.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It reminds me of a big BMX cruiser. I literally bought it on a whim last fall. Jenson was blowing them out and I realized I could pick it up for around $900. I was looking for something simple to commute on and do "get in shape" style rides so I could keep my Jamis Dakar XLT fresh. I knew nothing about 29ers and did about an hour's worth of research and pulled the trigger on it.

To sum it up, I sold my Dakar last weekend. I ride this bike full time. Did I mention it rolls. It's so simple. Back to basics.

I realized I ride the middle ring. I just ordered a bash guard and a new rear cog. Going to covert it to a 1x9 to really get it basic.

Favorite Trail:   My loops out of my driveway

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Nothing. I've never paid any attention to 29ers.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Sette Carbon Riser Bar, Thompson 0deg stem, Crank Brothers Candies

Submitted by kybluejeep a Weekend Warrior from Lexington KY

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    Great price for someone looking to get a 29er. Quality parts for the price.

Weaknesses:    Brakes su@$ swapped for Hayes stroker trails work great now

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. 5 chilis from me.

Favorite Trail:   S-Tree

Purchased At:   Capital City Cycles

Bike Setup:   Blunts Maxxis Ignitors Hayes Strokers rest stock

Submitted by Brady a Weekend Warrior from G-Town, TX (Dallas)

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2007

Strengths:    This is a sweet ride that was put together with all the right goodies! The components are a complement to the frame design. This 29er is a dream to ride. It rolls nicely over the biggest of roots and rocks and still provides great control & handling. I really like the remote lock-out of the shocks. It's nice to be able to reduce the travel when you’re battling a hard climb and then go soft for the downhill.

Weaknesses:    The stock pedals are a little low end for a bike of this caliber...I went with Crank Bros Mallets.

Bottom Line:
I can't say how much I love this bike without offending my wife. I'm 5'10" with a 30" in-seam. The 18" fits me perfectly. I did quite a bit of research and saw comments about the handle bar width being a little narrow and the Tora 318 forks having some issues. They have not been a problem for me. The forks have worked well thus far and the handlebars work well on the narrow trails I ride. The Dakota 29er is a smooth rider with great control. If you’re in Durango, CO I recommend you stop in and see the boys at Durango Cyclery...they'll fix you up!

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek

Purchased At:   Durango Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse & Specialized (both 26" wheels)
I strongly recommend the 29er

Bike Setup:   Stock with Crank Bros Mallets

Submitted by Paul from ALB NM US

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Strengths:    Great value for the $$$...I looked at GF, KHS and Niner.

Weaknesses:    Maxis tires didnt grip as well as I would have liked.
Fork lockout didnt lock out but the guys at Fat Tire fixed that. I use every bit of travel on the 100mm forks (Im 225lbs)and there are some squeeks from the crank when I pedaling really hard up hill. The seat post didnt seem to fit the bike just right resulting in it slipping downward during extended riding...simple fix scuffed it up with some steel wool now it stays in place. The pedals didnt have enough platform space for my big feet...so I R2 them with some wider Crank bros...now I feel I have more control when I start pedaling up a hill...down was never a problem...just hang on. The Avid Juicy 3s work well enough...its my fault I wait untill the last minute to brake...which has resulted in several painfull experiences....the do squeek after heavy braking and when they are full of dust/dirt...but they have held up so far...Im not scared to brake late or to feather them on a technical drop

Bottom Line:
This bike has treated me right. The 29 out runs my friends 26's up and down the trails. The hardtail has forced me to pick my path wisely...it has made me a better rider...The XL frame fit me better (Im 6'3"/225lbs) than the XL frames from GF or KHS...of course the Niner fit the best but for the $$ the Jamis was the way to go. Ive got a Niner RIP 9 XL on my Christams list....Im going to use my Jamis as a parts bike and build it back up as a street bike to take on the flat concrete stuff around town.
Bottom line: The Jamis is a great bike to see if you want to go 29 or stay 26.

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon, Sandia Mtn

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Cycles

Similar Products Used:   The usual low end 26 stuff...I tested the GF 29, KHS 29 and a Niner...the KHS was undesirable for several reasons. The GF was my 2nd choice almost bought it becasue of the Jamis XL didnt come in after 30 days of waiting...Im glad I waited. The Niner was outside of the $$ window to see if I wanted a 29er or a 26. Im glad I went with the 29.

Bike Setup:   The usual stuff...Crank Bros pedals, wider bars, and Rampage tires.

Submitted by Paul from ALB NM US

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Strengths:    Great value for the $$$...I looked at GF, KHS and Niner.

Weaknesses:    Maxis tires didnt grip as well as I would have liked.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line: The Jamis is a great bike to see if you want to go 29 or stay 26.

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon, Sandia Mtn

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Cycles

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Duluth,MN

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great looking bike and no major problems after 1500+ miles of trail riding and commuting. I love the air shock and the brakes.

Weaknesses:    No major weaknesses other than some minor tuning to fit me (I'm 6'8'). I agree that the handlebars are too narrow, but it depends what you're using the bike for. After washing it a couple times it developed a creak in the BB. It has gotten quieter after a week or so. I wasn't impressed by the 160mm front rotor. I upgraded to a 203mm within two weeks and now the brakes are excellent (I'm 220lbs). I also managed to bend the two largest rear chainrings somehow. I replaced the cassette with a Deore LX M580. The seat adjustment occasionally gets knocked out of alignment when I hit large bumps off road and come down hard on the seat. I'll probably move to a two-bolt Thompson post to solve this problem.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike and have ridden it everywhere. It could use some weight trimming, but I don't race it so that's not really a concern. I look forward to racking up a lot of miles on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Now Bikes And Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Various 26-inch mountain bikes. Specialized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Shimano clipless pedals, Titec Hellbent 640mm bars with Specialized bar ends. Upgraded 203mm Avid front disk + caliper adaptor, PZ 130mm Carbon / Aluminum Stem, Sigma BC2006MHR, Trek aluminum back rack, Deore LX rear cassette.

Submitted by scott hawxhurst a Cross Country Rider from belmar

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    29 inch wheels. plush tora 318 fork.shimano LX shifters/ derailers. effortless brakes.

Weaknesses:    handle bars are a bit narrow, but they are easy to get used to.

Bottom Line:
29er is great! rolls over everything. all the benefits you read about are indeed true. confidence inspiring both up and downhill, and you allways have those nice juicy brakes to slow u down. drive train has lasted nicely. the only disatvantage i have noticed has been on slow speed-technicaly challenging trails. you sit abit high and you dont feel as stable as on a standard 26 inch wheel. personally i feel that the benefits out weigh the downfalls, and over all this bike rocks. 29ers are the way to ride trails!

Favorite Trail:   allaire st. park

Purchased At:   dj 's bikes, blemar nj.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Joshua Beals a Cross Country Rider from Columbia X Rds PA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Good parts spec. Great looks. This bikes is fantastic on rocky sections, and handles log and creek crossings very well. The bottom bracket is about 1" higher then other Jamis bikes so clearing nasty stuff is a lot easier.

Weaknesses:    Narrow Handle bars. The high bottom bracket may make some riders feel uncomfortable. The wheels are very heavy. The stock seatpost was too short but the stem was spot on.

Bottom Line:
This is a great value. It is a little portly but if you are interested in riding in the woods without trouble then this is the bike for you. If you are interested in racing then you will want to swap out the wheels, fork, and cranks.

Price Paid:    $12000.00

Purchased At:   Oswald Cycle Works

Bike Setup:   Every thing is stock but I did put on ergon grips and I put on a Gobi saddle and they rock.

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Incirlik AB, Turkey

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome Specs. Rolls well and over just about anything. Well constructed. 27-speeds, going down hill...have yet to run out of gears. The rapid shifters allow you to shift with your thumb or fore finger

Weaknesses:    Narrow handlebars

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. Its spec'd to the max at $1,200. The juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes stop you on a dime. The original pedals are shimano clipless, but come with a platform adapter. The adapter works well for quick local rides, but if you plan on going over anything rough and don’t want to clip into the bike, I would recommend swapping them out. The igniter tires grip with tenacity! You can lock out the Rock Shox front fork, which is great on climbs and road rides. It does have a little give so you don't have to worry if you forget to unlock it on a nasty downhill. My buddy who is bike fanatic dug this bad boy and was inpressed by how well it's spec'd. I would recommend this to anyone from beginner to advanced. Did I mention I love this freaking bike? It looks sweet too!

Favorite Trail:   Kapadokya

Purchased At:   www.bicycleblowout.com AWESOME VENDOR!

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Blackcomb; only similarity is it was a bike...not even in the same league

Bike Setup:   Original specs except swapped pedals for Sun-Ringle Zu-Zu's (issues being clipped in on nasty trails) and added Ergon bar ends for add comfort

What size headset 2007 Jamis Dakota 29?

I need to order a new headset for my 2007 Jamis Dakota 29. How do headsets work in terms of sizing? Can anyone tell me what size headset I need to order for my frame?Read More »

Dakota 29 headset specs?

The stock headset on my 09 Dakota 29 is shot. I don't know what happened. It's always been a bit stiff, but the last couple of rides if it's running so sticky you have to force the wheel where you want it. And to get it to run free, it has to be loose and rattling. I've messed with it more than I wa ... Read More »

Jamis Dakota 29?

Hello everyone...brand new to the forums. But I was trying to get a little input on the 2009 Jamis Dakota 29er. I'm relatively new to trail riding, but have been riding pretty hard for the past couple years...I say hard but definitely not great. ;) I've been riding a 2008 Jamis Durango 2, but kind o ... Read More »

Jamis Dakota 29'er:Who's riding one?

While I'd love to get a Niner, real world, I'll be damn lucky to swing something under 1K. I've always liked Jamis bikes (prefer their steel bikes, not too many of those left), and so I'm wondering if the Dakota would do it for me. 6 ft tall, 200lbs, noob technical skills, lots of rocky, demanding ... Read More »

Fisher X-Cal or Jamis Dakota 29'er....

What do everyone think. Looking for a the best 29er w/out breaking my bank. Both are similar in price. Don't really want to spend anymore than this. . ($1250.00 ballpark) Talked to a Jamis dealer- said nothing out there as complete bike compares for the $$$. Would love to hear some input.... Thank ... Read More »