Ibex Bicycles Section 29er Hardtail

Weight : 30 lbs

• Frame: Triple-Butted 6069 (X9) Aluminum
  • Fork: Rock Shox Tora 318 Air* 80mm Travel
  • Shifters: SRAM X7 Trigger
  • Crankset: FSA Moto MegaExo (44/32/22T)
  • Tires: WTB ExiWolf 29" x 2.30
  • Headset: Cane Creek S-3
  • Cockpit Set: TruVativ XR
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Team

Submitted by rivertranced a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Handles well on the trail (you can just roll over small stumps and logs while maneuvering around hairpins is as easy as a 26er!) and on the road heading to work (fewer revolutions). Doesn't give you the feeling you are sitting up much higher like on other 29ers, but rather "in" the bike like on some of the high end 29ers I have ridden. Ibex staff responded to my questions right away when I was purchasing the product, so I feel good that if something goes wrong they'll take care of me.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavier than the most expensive 29ers, and I'd love to see an upgrade option to at least X-9s, but for the price you can't go wrong. I'd also like different paint options.

Bottom Line:
I've been on the bike for 500 miles now (I'm impressed that Marek has ridden 2,000 miles in a year - I ride this thing to work everyday...nice work!) and am loving it as much as the day I got it. I was a bit worried about X-7 componentry having been on XTs before, but they have held up well over time. I had considered dozens of bikes ranging from Motobecane or Windsor 29ers from BikesDirect to higher end bikes from my LBS that would have cost me two grand or more. Being a weekend warrior, this bike is perfect for my needs and seems to perform as well as any I have ridden. Plus, I feel good that if something goes wrong with the frame Ibex will back me up - I wouldn't have the same confidence in other direct bike dealers.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Ibex.Com

Similar Products Used:   Novara Ponderosa Hardtail 26er; rode a Titus Racer X 29er for a weekend (hooked me on 29ers!)

Bike Setup:   Pretty standard really...I swap out my pedals when riding to work.

Submitted by marekpetrik a Cross Country Rider from Amherst, MA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    29in Wheels, great handling, overall decent components, price.

Weaknesses:    Tora fork is not very plush, the front wheel lifts up on *very* steep climbs

Bottom Line:
I was not sure about buying a 29er, but I have no regrets. I don't think I will ever go back to 26in.

The bike handles great. After 2000 miles in mud, snow, and salt, no components have failed (except a broken chain). The bike climbs and descent fast, and it is also decent on pavement. The tires handle great on any terrain, and also roll well.

Overall, this is an amazing bike for the price, and would be even for twice as much.

Similar Products Used:   A few 26in bikes

Bike Setup:   + Thudbuster, ToPeak Explorer rack, Topeak Defender fender.

Submitted by 53880 a Weekend Warrior from eastern pa

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Strengths:    Price, build quality, components, looks

Bottom Line:
This is my introduction to mountain biking. At 6' I was recommended by friends who have many years of riding bmx + mountain that I should try out a 29er. Upon LOTS of research I settled on Ibex and specifically their red 2008 18" Section 29. WOW what a bike! It has sustained lots of mid-range slams as I am a rookie riding with much more experienced riders. I also use it as a 4 mile commuter to work along an easy path (another reason I got the 29" wheels + lockout). It feels light but very durable. Overall very impressed and looking forward to using this for many years to come.

Purchased At:   ibex

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by mtb_grl a Weekend Warrior from Ashburn, VA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Components are very well spec'd. The frame is stiff and responsive. The ride quality is wonderful, and the frame geometry was very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None for this product. There is always the wishful thinking for upgrades, but the bottom line is the bike's setup works... and does it well.

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the most fun bike I've ridden in years. It feels light for a 29er - even more incredible in this price range. The handling takes a few minutes to get used to, but once you adjust the bike is nimble and very responsive. The frame felt stiff and solid as a rock - I had an easier time keeping my balance over rough spots, fast descents and rock gardens. Drivetrain worked with no glitches. The lockout on the Tora is great for steep climbs - it really does climb like a billy goat.I took this bike out on a trail where I usually ride my dualie 5" travel bike, and not only was I able to ride everything I did on the dualie and more but I had more fun doing it. Incredible bike for the value - if you're looking to try out 29ers or are sold on one and want a quality ride that won't break your budget, I really recommend the Ibex.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Haro Mary XC 29er, Trek 8000 hardtail, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Bike Setup:   16" frame - stock with lizardskin grips and a wsd saddle

Submitted by retrobeast a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    fast, components work well, climbs like a cat, very balanced.

Weaknesses:    weight only when carrying. Do not notice on the ride.

Bottom Line:
If you want to break into the 29er world then IBEX Section 29er is an excellent choice. Great components for price.
You will get on and feel at home on day one.
Frame is sleek with very clean weld points.

I am 6ft with a 32in inseam and the 18 is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Cementless ones

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   KHS Alite hard tail. GF Cake 3 DLX full suspension.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by VTSasquatch a Weekend Warrior from Ripton, VT

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Decent components. I especially like the Reba fork.

Weaknesses:    Styling. Not that I would chose a bike on looks but it only came in yellow when I purchased it. Definately could use a couple color options.

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. It is a huge improvement in every respect to my old Marlin. I haven't had any problems and the ride is great. Only down side is that you have to assemble the bike but it is pretty easy and worth it for the savings you get.

Purchased At:   ibex website

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was a 1997 Gary Fisher Marlin (rigid in those days). Looked at Gary Looked at Fisher 29ers but got same or better components for less money.

Bike Setup:   Stock except ergo grips.

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Strengths:    2007 Model w/Reba SL Dual Air w/poplock. Good component group. Great value for the money. Compared favorably against all other hardtail 29ers within $400 higher retail, such as Fisher X-Cal, Felt, Jamis, Haro.

Weaknesses:    None to speak of, especially considering price.

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the buck of any 29er hardtail available in 2007. This bike has been a solid performer. No squeaks, breaks, or quirks. The BB7 discs are great. I'm 6-1", 250, and I'm on the 20" frame. I love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Surveyors Ridge, Mt. Hood

Similar Products Used:   Fisher X-Cal, Felt Nine

Bike Setup:   Basically stock, with the addition of Topeak Defender fenders when the weather demands it. Yes, I'm clipped in on the trail.

Submitted by Charlie Roscoe from Cheraw, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Decent components, value.

Bottom Line:
My bike is a 2007 model. It's a decent bike for the price. I had a problem with the stock rear wheel, but it seemed to be an isolated incident. The frame is stiff, but rides nicely. I'm pretty happy with the bike overall. You basically get a good bike with good components for a good price. The only other thing I'm thinking of changing is the fork to a 120mm travel Manitou with a 20mm thru-axle.

Favorite Trail:   In the woods

Purchased At:   www.ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Rubbish.

Bike Setup:   Powdercoated frame, 1x6 drivetrain, Kris Holm unicycle rims, Hope Pro II hubs, 100mm Reba, 60mm stem, Lock-on grips, bashguard, 203mm front rotor, Kenda Nevegal tires.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Sterling Heights, MI

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Solid & dependable through all kinds of terrain
Great mix of components at a great price - Good Value!

Weaknesses:    Chain, powdercoat is a bit weak

Bottom Line:
I couldn't be happier with this bike. It has essentially the same component level as the GF X-Caliber, for ~$300 less! I have ridden it through some nasty stuff (sometimes accidentally) and it has held up under my ~260 lbs. like a champ. My bike is no longer offering an excuse for holding back.

Favorite Trail:   Stony Creek