Haro Mary XC 29er Hardtail

Colors: Humboldt Green
Fork: RockShox Reba SL 29” 80mmw/ Motion Control

Submitted by bikertime a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Fast on the gnarly stuff. Handles the rough descents smoothly and the technical climbs aren't as difficult. The frame, bars, and seat post are good and stiff. I have a bolt collar on my seat post and it has never slipped. I bend the derailer hanger about once a week, but it is easy enough to fix. Also, I got a handful that I switch between and they take a minute to change. I love it even after 3 years.

Weaknesses:    I bent the front stock wheel after about a 1000 miles, but I think that is normal with any stock wheels. Then I got some Easton XC Ones that work well. I also upgraded to an XTR grouppo and dropped a ton of weight. I had problems with the BB5 brakes and the 160 rotors. But with the XTRs all is well. The stock saddle also fell apart after a 1000 miles and so had to upgrade that.

Bottom Line:
Good value and loads of fun. Just over time upgrade the stock parts and you'll have an awesome bike. For the mud of Korea, I prefer the Egg Beaters.

Favorite Trail:   Happy Hour

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Mary SS, Haro XCR, Gary Fisher, KHS

Bike Setup:   XTR group, Easton XC One,

Submitted by melbatoast a Weekend Warrior from Greer, SC

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    Steel frame is very nice. Orange finish is spectacular. Very solid frame.

Weaknesses:    No rear suspension

Bottom Line:
Killer bike. Rips downhill, can carve and glide through the singletrack, powers up climbs and can handle regular xc obstacles like creeks, mud, sand and bridges. It's definitely heavier because of the steel frame, but it feels nimble and inspires confident handling. Good bike. Not pro circuit material, but a fun ride that can keep up with just about anything you will see at the local trail.

Favorite Trail:   Paris Mtn (Kanuga/Sulfur Springs)

Purchased At:   Gust-O-Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose 26er full suspension, Specialized Stumpjumper 29er

Bike Setup:   SRAM shifters, Avid BB7 brakes. Salsa bar, WTB rims, Specialized 2.0 tires, FireX crank, X-9 rear, Reba RxShx, Deore XT front, clip pedals, Ritchey stem, WTB seat

Submitted by mac020 a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Solid! Excellent quality! Good choice of equipment for shifters, cables, brakes, and shocks.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a big guy. I'm 6'5" and 220 pounds and the bike fits me well! The bigger diameter (29" 700mm) wheels seem to roll better than smaller diameter ones. Shifting is smooth and quick.

Purchased At:   Colorado Springs Bik

Submitted by andrewb75 a Weekend Warrior from houston,tx harris

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2009

Strengths:    rides like a dream. Great value of components.Durable and snappy cromoly frame. Great bike for climbing steep trails.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy out of the box.Shimmed seat tube.Have had problems with seatpost slipping.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike on anything from steep uphill and downhill,to rocky terrain and switchbacks.It handles incredibly good for such a big bike through almost all cross country style riding.I would like to upgrade the hanlebar to a strait bar for increased cornering.

Favorite Trail:   memorial park

Purchased At:   sun and ski sports

Similar Products Used:   Marin nail trail.

Bike Setup:   Chris King headset, Chris King hubs,DT Swiss x470 rims,Thompson seat post, xo grip shifters, shimano xt brakes with 180 rotor.Wtb raptor tires.

Submitted by j. r. eaton a Weekend Warrior from Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2008

Strengths:    It's a 29'r REBA Shock

Bottom Line:
I wrote this this review because I noticed that no one had mentioned the shock the REBA from Rock Shox it only has 80mm of travel but is dual air loaded and has a lockout that is on the top of the shock and can be changed on the fly or you can get a handlebar remote for about $100.00. You can also adjust the motion control and adjust it to release the shock at different levels of trail condition. The 2008 I bought does not have the quick release seat stem and stays where its put.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by kel_kelogs a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    I like the handling of this bike so much. I feels like I have a connection with the bike compared to my heavier Dakar XLT 3.0. Nice paint and logo. It's steel so it flexes making the ride less harsher off road.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy but it's steel so understandable. The seatpost keeps on sliding during on and off road rides. Some toe overlap since I have the size 16 frame. I wish the frame could accommodate forks more than 80mm. There is also not enough standover height for short riders.

Bottom Line:
This is my best handling bike, period. It is more fun to ride with a rigid fork and single speed. It just felt weird because it seems that your higher from the ground. I feel that I will be catapulted from the bike during hard braking.

I bought this frame with a rigid fork at e-bay mid last year and finished building the whole bike early last November. This is a great trail bike as well as a commuter since you can just swap the tires depending on the terrain or riding style. This bike is an eye candy everytime I bring this during big events here in Reno. I haven't seen a lot of 29er's so these bikes really gets attention.

I would recommend this bike/frame for those who want to enter the 29er scene especially if your low on budget depending on your build. I just wish Haro would work on the seatpost clamp problem, toe overlap, and lower the standover height.

Favorite Trail:   Keysone-Peavine trail, Thomas Creek, Evan's Creek, Immigrant trail

Similar Products Used:   First 29er. 26ers (Custom Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0)

Bike Setup:   Custom built Haro Mary XC: Rockshox Reba SL fork, Truvativ Stylo Team GXP Carbon crankset (170mm), Crankbrothers Acid 1 pedals (green), Chris King headset, Race Face Next SL carbon flat bar, Thomson X4 stem (70mm), Thomson Elite setback seatpost, Salsa Lip-lock seatpost collar, WTB Silverado saddle, Forte SS conversion kit, Avid BB& brakeset with Shimano Deore levers (upgrading to Hayes El Camino), Mavic A317 wheelset with Shimano XT hubs, Hope titanium skewers, ODI Ruffian grips. Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires/Michelin Speedium road tires.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is great. I love the steel. Haro put some flattened chainstays on the frame. This along with the large volume tires give the bike a very forgiving rear-end. The frame's geometry is very responsive and snappy. I get a bit of toe bite from time to time in the real technical stuff, but overall a great feel to the bike. Very responsive.

Weaknesses:    Bike is a bit heavy, but I'm willing to sacrifice the extra weight for a flexible and durable steel bike. Wheels are okay, but need upgraded. People keep mentioning the seat-post and how it slips, but I ditched the quick release clamp right off the bat and have never had a problem with it.

Bottom Line:
This is a great steel bike. It handles the singletrack well, and if you're willing to invest in a lighter/smoother wheelset, the bike will ride like a dream.

Favorite Trail:   hochimihn trail

Similar Products Used:   GT Peace Niner

Bike Setup:   LX/XT Drivetrain. BB7's. Chris King/Mavic Crossmax wheelset (paid a bit of $ for the new wheels, but worth every penny--makes it ride like a new machine!!!). Profile Carbon Bars.

Submitted by swaneedawg a Weekend Warrior from Hickory, N.C. USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    Great steel frame, nice rear drop-outs! Plenty of tire clearance! Good toe clearance. Okay components...nice geometry...bike is meant for rollin' Reba fork is more than adequate...nice features, and great performance!

Weaknesses:    poor grips, pedals, wheelset (WTB Laser Disc Trails SUCK!!!) Lots of flex in Ritchey stem. Ritchey seatpost and handlebar okay...but replaced quickly! Saddle is great, but if you are looking for sofa comfort...change-it quick! Wheelset is in dier need of change. First night ride left them badly beat-up and needing of a truing job.

Bottom Line:
I love the way the big wheels roll, and roll, and roll, and roll! Makes riding a hardtail the fun it was almost 20 years ago!!! A wheelset is in the future, as are better shifters...nothing bad about the X.7's, just like the crisper shifting X.9's better!

Favorite Trail:   Wilson's Creek, N.C.

Purchased At:   Clark's Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   haven't ridden any other 29er's yet!

Bike Setup:   changed out Avid BB5's for Hayes 185mm Stroker Trail disc brakes....HUGE Difference!!! Truvativ carbon seatpost added, Truvativ O/S Carbon riser bars, Thomson O/S 100mm-6 degree stem added, ODI Lock-On grips added.

Submitted by John Stevens a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    Steel is nice. Like the fork and 29". If your thinking about a 29 - you really owe it to yourself to try it.

Weaknesses:    Replaced the pedals and grips - no big deal; however, I have not been able to keep the seat post from sliding down over the course of a 10 mile ride. Have taken it back to the bike shop 3x and they've kept telling me it's because there is too much lubrication on the seat post. Discovered that it is missing a seat post shim and now the frame has been crushed where the seat post clamp goes - why me???

Bottom Line:
loved the bike but the seat post problem hasn't allowed me to ride more than about 10 miles before the seat post sinks all the way into the frame. The bike is apparently missing a seat post shim in the frame and the frame has been crushed by the seat post clamp. LBS wants to pry/bend it back out and insert the shim. They said " It's steel and it's made to bend."???? I'm not sure what I think of that statement. After reading ryan w's review, I'm not sure the shim is going to solve the problem of the seat post sinking into the frame anyway. I don't think a person should have that kind of problem on a $1300+ bike. I can deal with low quality components that you expect to replace such as pedals, grips, seat/saddle, but I don't think the seat post should be one of them. If I can get the seat post problem resolved, I will probably replace the brakes with something that can shut it down a little quicker but the existing brakes do an O.K. job. It is a heavy bike but other than the seat post problem - I really do love this bike.

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   this is my first 29

Bike Setup:   spd M424 pedals and brooks champion green saddle - looks so good.

Submitted by ryan w a Weekend Warrior from baltimore, md

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    29in wheels work and i knew they did. great outfit and good price. steel is very nice ride indeed. great fork and as little shimano as possible. and i love funky greens.

Weaknesses:    dont like anythin but oury grips (personal thing)
bike came w/damaged hanger in the box (tsk tsk)
rocketV works for no1 i've ever met (get a hint, speedV peopl)
cheap pedals (ebay they go)
ritchey pro post is poor, moves no matter how tight u make it. (pagin mr easton or mr thomson!)
Avid SD V's are better than BB5s, the bike got my old CPSs right away.

Bottom Line:
Great way to get into a 29 and leave all those FS hassles behind for a nice plush ride that will keep ya out on the trail longer. this of course after u get the bike setup right. the hanger issue was resolved by haro very quickly. I knew the grips, saddle and brakes would never see the bike during assembly as they are parts that many pull off the bike to begin with. as parts, their always on sale for a reason-no 1 wants them. the pedals, eh, some people wanna get started and a spd is 1 choice, but at 1600 reg price, its not a value to include them. let us pick, not have to deal w/an ebay auction or tryin to get a credit from the LHS for em.

the seatpost was a big disappointment, i like ritchey stuff, but that pro post is garbage, it will not hold adjustment and i had to look at it many times to understand why they would have a splined torque shim but not have splines on the post itself, thus it shifts over time in the woods. to pt where u set it and its so comfy (the speedV, not rocketV people) to oh man this sux. it moved again. junk. and its not stayin.

the good parts of this bike outweigh the bad, i do love 29s. and that wont change. the NRS will be sent to a new home as i'll be ridin this often. steel is so comfortable, you cant ignore that people still make it for a reason. yeh new super duper allys come out every yr, but skip the cheeseburger to get more savings (both wallet and trail weight there).

dont buy this if ur lookin to buy a high dollar uber cool ride right outta the box and think u'll be big stink w/ur big wheels...that and ur a weight weenie.

buy this bike if u want somethin less tedious than ur FS, the benefits of 29in wheels, and you have some nice juicy (not the brakes, they suck too) parts in ur bin or on ur old ride to slap on. frameset w/a rigid cool as well.

Favorite Trail:   loch raven resevoir

Purchased At:   LHS

Similar Products Used:   only 29er was 1st yr supercaliber i got on loan from trek rep.
better comparo is to my FS ride, a Giant NRS-2.
IBIS/Trek/Giant Hardtails amongst others

Bike Setup:   Oury Grips
WTB SpeedV Team
Some1 else's seatpost
Avid BB7s (donated from the NRS)

Submitted by JimsterJ a Cross Country Rider from San Antone, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable frame specs, Sram and Truvativ drivetrain, Rock Shox Reba SL, and very light weight Ritchey stem and seatpost.

Weaknesses:    Really heavy wheels and tires. If you are a weight freak like me, there are much lighter 29'er bikes out there, so ride the Mary XC before you buy. I wanted a chromoly frame so I bought the bike anyway and it was a good choice for me.

Bottom Line:
Who needs full suspension for XC when the 29'er wheels roll much faster and with correct low air pressure in the tires, certainly reduces lumps, bumps, and body stress when riding thru rock gardens. I'd like to reduce the weight of the Haro by at least 2 more lbs, which will take a wheel change out that will be costly at best. Current weight is spot on 30 lbs., which is too heavy for epic XC rides. My wife rode my 29'er and now she wants one, but the weight is a problem for her, even in the 16" frame. I'll probably buy a Gary Fisher Paragon 29'er for the love of my life, only because the Paragon weighs 27 lbs. out of the box with pedals and with a few minor changes, I'll probably be able to get the weight down to around 26 or less. I'm still gonna give the Mary XC 5 Flamin' Chilis, even though the Haro bike is heavy, it is still a great ride and more fun than all the other bikes I've previously owned.

Favorite Trail:   RainBow Rim, NRGC, Arizona

Purchased At:   Ride Away Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   None - my first 29'er. Have owned a Santa Cruz Superlight, Gary Fisher Mt. Tam, Supercaliber, and Sugar 2. My current 26'er is a Giant NRS1, which mostly just hangs in the garage since I purchased the 29'er.

Bike Setup:   All OEM except for the tires and cassette. Tires changed out to Bontrager JonesXR F29 X 2.25 and R29X2.20. Changed cassette to Sram PG-990, which reduced overall total bike weight by almost 2 lbs.

Haro Mary XC sizing

Can anyone tell me what size I should look for in a Mary XC, I'm 5'8.5"-5'9" and have found a 16" Mary. haven't went and looked at it yet but if it'll fit me I'll prob go buy it.Read More »

good deal on Haro Mary XC Expert?

Sun and Ski Sports is selling the 2011 Haro Mary XC Expert for $999, plus I have a $20 coupon. So comes out to about $980. Deore FD and shifter, Deore XT RD. Mazarocchi fork. Hydraulic brakes. Good deal? Good bike? The thing that worries me is that it is a discontinued model, but I think the H ... Read More »

2012 Trek Cobia vs 2011 Haro Mary XC Expert

In the market for a 29er (my 1st). Narrowed it down to these 2: 2012 Trek Cobia from my local bike shop, can get it for somewhere between $1000 and $1100. Comes with 2 yrs free maintenance and the shop is like a minute from my house, 2011 Haro Mary XC Expert. It's a steel frame so I worry a b ... Read More »

2011 Haro Mary XC Expert

Looking for a steel 29er, prefer thru axle fork - this has it all. Can't find much about this bike, especially the 2011 with that funky/curvy top tube. I'm coming from a light hardtail aluminum 29er, and don't want full sus, just a little relief by steel. I'll be riding pretty aggressive all mountai ... Read More »

Haro Mary XC Comp.

So I'm looking at getting one of these. After 2 years of not riding I need to start again. None of my local shops have the Marys in stock. Is it safe to compare geomertry between bikes? Like looking at the specs for a 19" Monocog, which fit me like a glove to the specs of the Mary? Also, seei ... Read More »