Haro Mary SS 29er Hardtail

• Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Yukon29&single a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    Takes a beating and keeps going. Lightweight. Strong climbing.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires Are heavy. Wheels aren't strong either.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome ride. It's my first ss and I don't see me getting rid of it. I love this bike. Climbs like a machine. It's FAST.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Creek OKC

Submitted by Natedogz a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Best riding 29er geometry I've ridden, feels just like a giant BMX bike, very sure-footed, nimble but not twitchy. Loved this bike in the 2 years that I owned it and wish I hadn't sold it.

Weaknesses:    Some lateral frame flex, I occasionally get rear tire rub as evidenced by the missing paint inside my chainstays. I do weigh 200 lbs geared up and ride aggressively, never heard or felt it rub, but evidence is there. Kenda Nevegals, heavy and very slow rolling tires that are only good in wet sloppy conditions imo and even then could be better. Avid BB5 brakes fit for a townie maybe, on a MTB it's like trying to stop your car by dragging your feet.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for the money and so much fun!

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Rig, Haro Ally.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Henge or Riva saddle, Geax Saguaro 29x2.2 tires, 32x20 gearing, Salsa stainless chainring, KMC hollow pin SS chain, Surly machined cog, Easton EA50 bars cut down to 26", Specialized 90mm stem, Lizard Skins lock-on Charger grips, Cane Creek S-3 headset, Crank Brothers Acid1 pedals. Sometimes I ran rigid fork (actually more fun, but not good on the rough and fast stuff) and sometimes RockShox Reba fork.

Submitted by david robinson a Weekend Warrior from Durham,England

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2011

Strengths:    Great value. Build quality is superb.Rides wonderful and munches the miles.requires very little maintainance.
    £350 for frame and fork.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy but hey, so am I !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Used a niner EBB cup unit to prevent bottom bracket shell from disforming. The pinch bolts are a pain on the stock frame. They can cause the bb shell to develop a lobe at the point of pressure.

Bottom Line:
    A really nice bike frame and fork ideal for taller heavier riders.
    It converts to hub gears nicely and vertical dropouts are ideal for towing a BOB YAK trailer full of expedition gear. Buy the EBB from niner to preserve the bottom bracket shell, cost me about 30 english pounds.
    This bike has its critics but I love her.
    Great value too.
    I got seduced by lighter frames but came running back to Mary after a dissapointment.I am forever faithful and renewed my vow of loyalty.

Favorite Trail:   Ingram valley

Purchased At:   Cestria Cycles

Similar Products Used:   On one Scandal ..... Also good but cant beat the steel Mary.

Bike Setup:   Thomson post and stem, Brooks B17 saddle, Alfine 8 rear hub and DT Swiss rims.Hope front hub.Avid BB7 cable disc brakes.

Submitted by Brad Carrington a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    The 2010 frame with a curved top bar is tight and tough. Very little flex or slop. Decent component setup straight off the rack, although I did make a couple modifications. And, I like the new black paint with pink and white decals.

Weaknesses:    No sure I like the Kenda Negeval on the front. Seems like it wants to washout on turns that are wet or loose. Besides they weigh too much. Also, want to replace stock front fork with a Niner Carbon. It's taking time and patience to get comfortable with the ON ONE Mary handlebar.

Bottom Line:
    Definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to start riding a ridged single speed.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder Park

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   My other MTB is a Ventana El Saltimontes.

Bike Setup:   Converted to Stan's notube, changed short Pivot seatpost to Thomson's Layback 31.6mmx410mm, Avid mechincals to Magura Loiuse hydraulics, Ergon grips, 16 tooth freewheel on the back, and added Crank Bro Eggbeaters. My 18" bike weighs 26 lbs. Good size for someone that is 6'1".

Submitted by crazyazmtnbiker a Cross Country Rider from Mesa,Arizona,USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    Very nice 4130 frame set. Gusseted top tube and downtube. Built with cheaper parts but works well together. Light bike with great ride. Tracks great.

Weaknesses:    On one bars are fine if you were using this as a bar bike. Changed out for FunnMTB riser bars. Short head tube size makes it flex with a larger rider.

Bottom Line:
    Nice single speed in 29er configuration. Keeps up with the other ride available. Nice parts and a great price....
    Would recommend to any other person looking for a single rigid 29er! Very Light1

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Loop

Purchased At:   Tempe Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Surly, Fisher, Cannondale.....

Bike Setup:   Funn riser bars, Answer atac stem, Avid cable disc brakes, Pivit post, Pivit hubs laced to WTB laserdisc wheels, WTB seat, Kenda Nevegal Tomac tires, Sylo cranks, 5150 Pedals.

Submitted by Sheppdog a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, CA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Frame geometry and specifications for an entry level SS Mountain bike

Weaknesses:    Component group is entry level and requires some immediate attention.

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent entry level SS mountain bike that can be updgraded as parts break. The only parts I would replace immediately would be the Mary bar and the eccentric bottom bracket. Buy a handlebar that suits you but make sure you but a Niner bottom bracket - they are SOLID! You will likely have to clean out the bottom bracket housing as they are painted inside (flaw in manufacturing).

Also - The forks that came with my Mary were not manufactured straight and I destroyed the factory hub.

I am 6'3" and this bike fits really well and it has taken some serious abuse. It's simple, it works and I've raced on it with no problems.

I would buy one again, despite the manufacturing short comings. I tried other SS mountain bikes but the geometry wasn't there.

Favorite Trail:   Delerium Dive

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle, Calgary,

Similar Products Used:   Converted 26" mountain bikes to SS.

Bike Setup:   Switched out Mary bar for wide Easton mid-rise bar. Also installed a Niner eccentric BB. I will replace parts as they break.

Submitted by mataleo505 a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, Steel frame & fork, great handling, value

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    This bike rocks! Even with the rigid fork it flies over rocky terrain. Light enough to rip up inclines & the 29 inch wheels allow you to haul it on the down hills. This bike handles really well is easy to catch air on & is just plain fun. Haven't touched my geared Kona xc bike since this purchase. I would definitely recommend the Haro Mary SS for anyone looking for a simple, fun, worry free bike (so far).

Favorite Trail:   Sandia Foothills

Purchased At:   Sports Systems

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first 29er single speed

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Slime tubes & clipless SPD pedals

Submitted by schnee a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fantastic geometry, burly, great value

Weaknesses:    Flimsy seatpost / stem / bars, weak wheels

Bottom Line:
    I'm 6'-3", and this bike fits perfectly - long enough to feel balanced and sure-footed going up and down steep stuff, small enough to whip around and turn on a dime. I don't ride rigid on the really harsh stuff (I save that for my FS rig) but this handles everything I want it to.

They really nailed the geometry. It was immediately comfortable, I dialed in the fit in a few short rides, and that was that.

I'm a 270+ clydesdale, so the Pivit seatpost, Ritchey stem and Mary bars were super noodly. I always have to swap those out anyway, so not too big of a knock.

OEM wheels were decent, had a bit of windup and flex, but perfectly fine for around-town, smooth singletrack or light XC. I wanted more bomb-proof, so I swapped them for handbuilt 36-spoke Surly/Gordos.

Favorite Trail:   Laguna

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Gunnar Crosshairs

Bike Setup:   Thomson stem + seatpost, handbuilt wheels, SRAM x7 9-speed

Submitted by Rob 2 a Cross Country Rider from Pgh, PA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    handling

Weaknesses:    HARO TECH SUPPORT is CLUELESS

Bottom Line:
    This is note to warn fellow cyclists about haro's tech support ... namely "Jill H". I lost my spec's manual -- 2 weeks of emails & she 'guessed' the wrong Bottom Bracket width FOUR times. If I'd have listened to her (instead of buying a micrometer 'cz she was obviously clueless) I would've ruined my frame, new raceface crankset, and BB. If U need assistance contact a local shop. She claims to have 10 yrs experience there ... which tells me not to buy another Haro.

Submitted by pommiejohnson a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    Terrific Value for money, great Steel Frame, Mary bars are a dream - I loved them so much I went out and bought another 3 pairs for other bikes. If you are 6ft or over you should be riding a 29er....this bike just glides over the trails

Weaknesses:    Stock the bike comes with BB5 and rubbish cables, I spent $100 and got BB7 with decent cables and the brakes are wicked.

Bottom Line:
    Even after 18 months this bike still puts a smile on my face, I luv this bike, it just spins along and glides over everything.
    I just finished Wildside (2010) and this bike was excellent...I would absolutely ride this again...perfect for the course - although big gear for the last day :).
    For the money this is a great way to get into 29er's...and you have the option to add a hanger and run gears.

EPIC Bike!

Favorite Trail:   Smith's Gully

Purchased At:   BSC - Greensborough

Similar Products Used:   KHS Softail setup as a 69er

Bike Setup:   Stock, with BB7 (203mm) and decent cables, Reba SL upfront and some nice light wheels on Hope Pro II's running Small Block 8's

Submitted by Atom B a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Strengths:    Great value. Quality frame. Laser Disc wheels, Rocket V saddle, and Stylo crankset.

Weaknesses:    BB5s.

Bottom Line:
    I have the 2007 16" with ginger paint. Good looking bike! I was skeptical being short (5'5") - zero standover, but no issues whatsoever. Stock fork offset made steering too quick for me. Couldn't get used to the extreme sweep of the Mary bar. Brakes require frequent adjustment. I run the tires at 30 psi. Ideal for non-technical singletrack. Shows shortcomings on technical terrain. Lack of gearing is a good workout. The grab-and-go nature of a rigid SS makes this bike an absolute blast, with big wheels being a bonus.

Purchased At:   SMC

Bike Setup:   Added Bontrager Race X Lite carbon fork, and Salsa Moto Ace 17° flat bar.

Submitted by dcleaner a Weekend Warrior from Croatia

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2009

Strengths:    Mary bar, SS, rigid fork, wheels

Weaknesses:    crankset

Bottom Line:
    this bike is pure fun :D
    the first time i rode it at a bike shop i had the biggest grin on my face.
    the bike is great, especially the mary bar, i just love it.
    the brakes are decent, exactly what can be expected for mechanical disk brakes.
    the only serious problem i found is the crankset. while i pedal the crankset makes weird noise, guys at my lbs took the damn thing apart and saw nothing wrong with it. i guess i'm going to try to get it replaced.

since mary is the only 29er ss one can buy in croatia (and from what i know there were only 4-5 sold) i get a lot of weird looks, but after people ride it everybody is astonished how much the whole concept makes sense and just simply love the bike.

Favorite Trail:   local trail around my village

Purchased At:   DSG

Bike Setup:   more or less stock with grips, pedals, and gearing changed
    rode 3-4 months with wtb all terrainasaurus, now back to kenda nevegal

Submitted by GaDiscgolfer a Weekend Warrior from Monroe,Ga

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Strengths:    29 inches of rubber, EBB, SS, Rigid Fork

Weaknesses:    BB5's are weakkkkkk, EBB creaks pretty regularly

Bottom Line:
    This thing is the bomb. I am still on a high from not having to think about shifting and being on a 29er. I feel like the frame is beefy but light. I think this bike will make me a better xc rider, I know that it makes riding more fun.

Favorite Trail:   Yargo

Purchased At:   Lifetime Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None (First 29er)

Bike Setup:   Stock w BB7's

Submitted by dchamp a Cross Country Rider from Westminster, MD

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, Geometry, Wheels, Cranks, Fork, Saddle

Weaknesses:    Brakes, Salsa Stem, Seatpost, Pedals

Bottom Line:
    Changed to the following, Easton Aluminum bars and Stem, Shimano Saint Disc Brakes, Shimano DX pedals, Oury Lock-on Grips.

This is a great all around bike. Great for single track, fire trails and urban assault.

I would buy this bike again and again!

I am so happy to have been able to get this with a disc brake set up and a cro-moly frame. I did not give the On-One Mary bars a chance b/c I am so used to my other bars. This bike really was well worth the money!

I am glad I put the Saint Disc brakes on b/c I enjoy the full hydraulic system much better than mechanical brakes. The stem that came with the bike is user preference. I do not like the thought of only 1 pinch bolt on the steerer so I switched it.

I was also able to stay in front of my buddy who was on a hard tail, front suspension Rocky Mountain with a 9 speed cassette and 3 up front. So take that all!

At any rate! I will keep tearin' it up on this one!

Favorite Trail:   Hashawa