Haro Flightline Carbon Series 29er Hardtail

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The FLC Elite is the highest-end mountain bike in Haro history features SRAM XX1, an innovative 11-speed system that completely eliminates the front derailleur and shifter while still offering a gear range to handle all riding conditions. Add in the legendary Rock Shox SID SL with a 15mm thru axle.

Submitted by Matthew Brown a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2015

Strengths:    A carbon bike with the same frame and geometry on the top as, as well as entry level Comp version. This makes the comp version an incredible value. You won't find a similarly equipped carbon bike in this price range, and even the top end one only weights 21 lbs, and costs $5500, that at first sounds like a lot, but compared to Specialized, Trek, or Cannondale that can run $7-8k for the same weight range, this is also a great bargain for racers. FSA Commet cranks, Ritchy seatpist, handlebar, stem, Prologo seat.

Weaknesses:    Some cables are internally routed, but not all. There is one that isn't that has plastic clips that hold it to the frame that break off and leaves your cable flopping around. I found myself replacing them with zip ties and problem solved, although it would have been nice to have something fancier. The XC30 fork (on Comp model) is junk. It weighs over 5 lbs, and rebounds like a pogo stick. That is because it is coil, and not air/oil. My remote lockout broke. The wheels are heavy and have a lot of lateral flex. I've had to true the wheels several times, and had a broken spoke due to the flex. Replace the Small Block 8 tires immediately if you are riding offroad, they have no grip on corners and you will slide out.

Bottom Line:
I have the Comp version and yes it isn't a perfect bike. However I have been racing, and it is a great bike for the beginner racer who doesn't have 6-8k to drop on a bike. With that in mind either buy the fame only, or I got last years model for only $1200, and at that price it was a steal. There are no other carbon framed bikes this well equipped for that kind of cash. I replaced the tires with Shwelbe Racing Ralph as the Small Block 8's that come on it have no grip and you will side out. I replaced the fork, as it is super heavy, and really unpredictable, and unreliable. I replaced mine with a Marzocchi 320 Carbon fork. I am replacing the wheels with something more stiff with less flex, and also alot lighter. Overall my goal is to get it in around 21 lbs, the weight of the Elite. I estimate it will cost me about $4k total investment (including bike) to get in at that weight, and that is a super good price when I can compare the weight and performance to $6,7 and 8k bikes. There is a lot to like about this bike, the base has all the potential to be a top contender, and even the Pro models are really good value for what you are getting.

Similar Products Used:   I also own a Kona Cinder Cone Scandium (upgraded to full XT)

Bike Setup:   SLX rear, Deore front, Deore shifters, Marzocchi 320 Carbon fork, Shwelbe Racing Ralph tubless tires. Soon to be carbon seatpost, handlebar, and new wheelset.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2015

Strengths:    Great Frame. Similar to all the other that China and Taiwan produce.

Weaknesses:    Cheap build.

Bottom Line:
I bought the FLC 29 Carbon Comp(the lowest level Haro Carbon) from Pricepoint about 6 months ago. This is my first 29er and it so much better than riding a 26". Haro really spec'ed their lower end bike with cheap parts. Mine is a 14 so it has the XC30 fork which I just upgraded to a REBA. The XC30 alone weighs 5lbs and there is a sucking sound when the fork rebounds. Other than the weight and the sucking sound the fork isn't that bad. The wheels are heavy but can take a beating. Hated the bar they had on it, it was riser bar that lasted one ride before I replaced it. The overall weight of the bike is about 28lbs. Pretty heavy for a carbon hardtail. For $2000 it is not a good deal when you consider what is out there. Spend a few hundred more and look at the specialized or something similar if you are paying retail. I got mine for $1000 so it was a pretty good deal. A few more upgrades and it will great.
Don't buy this if you think it is a good deal at $2000. Expect to make a lot of upgrades if you are a serious rider. Once you start doing that, you are better off looking at other bike builds.
Overall I love it. But I paid far less than retail. I bought it for the frame which so far has not disappointed me.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   1st 29er.

Submitted by TNhardtail a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2014

Strengths:    Very solid and strong feel. Quick! Quick! Quick! A 19" on 29's that feels like a 17" on 26's

Weaknesses:    Other than ME?? ... I haven't been able to find any so far??

Bottom Line:
Well let's start saying I certainly don't have the $6000.00+ FLC Elite but I'm working on it! My FLC Comp is on the same platform as the extreme high end Elite. This is a great and somewhat affordable way ($2K) to jump head first into the ranks of carbon fiber bikes. With a very solid foundation, the FLC allows you to "build to suit" with no worries at all.
This MTB is the complete and extremely competent package you have been looking for !
For those who say ... "Haro?" ... I say ... "Follow me!"

Favorite Trail:   Jack Rabbit, Hayesville, NC