Haro Ally SS 29er Hardtail

• 100% 4130 chromoly fork
  • Kenda Nevegal 2.2 tires

Submitted by idinomac a Racer from Dean McCauley

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Strengths:    Good strong frame and it rides good for a cheep bike.

Weaknesses:    Head set, wheels, Handlebars,stem,seat post, but what do you want for a msrp $600.00 bike the WTB wheels had to be tightened-up and trued out of the box,I already knew I work at a Haro shop and every bike that we get I check the wheels that way it becomes a lesser problem later. and now after two yrs and my friend had been using this bike and he's about 205lb, I need to retrue the rear wheel.. the wheelset has held-up better than I thuoght it would but as with any stock bike the wheelset is going to be porky and most of the time even on $3,000.00 bikes they have junk wheelsets for lighter riders/racers. The other weekness that was big and I only road the bike home and changed and it was the HB and Stem wow flexy! that should not be on a SS bike. The saddle is good so dobn't get me wrong about that it just was not for me but my wife likes it and it's on her bike.

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike again, and now Haro is not making them any-more,so if you're reading this you might be looking at a used one,and as with anything used look it over good but as for a bike to get you rolling go for it. HB,Stems,Saddles,grips,heck even brakes! you can pick up a Avid bb7's cheep or even bb5's but I'm running what I have till the brakes brake!,, I race endurance racing and that's why I had so menny bikes now I'm down to three bikes at this time.. I had got the Ally SS for a cheep training bike and also wanted to try the SS thing and it's all good but I live in the snow for about 5 to 6 months a year and like someone else already said I don't want to ride my geared race bike. I am going to put gears on the Ally for the winter time becuse when I have to stand-up to peddle the back tire brakes loose. I will set it up as a 1x9 with Stans 355 wheelset it should be good to go then it's hilly here and I also have a track in my yard that I ride a lot. A few more things the CS doesn't have the clearnce that the ST has if your back tire get off true it will hit there if you are wanting to run fat and low psi it could rub. someone said it's in the 20's as for weight high 20's that is I think it's like 27lbs stock for a large.. I like riding this bike,my $3,000.00 racing HT 29er is going up for sale becuse I'm going to build a 29er FS bike and try to get it to 24lbs But I'm keeping the Ally and if I need a back-up bike in a race I will have the Ally and I'll have this bike down to about 23 or 24 lbs. I give it a little lesser rating becuse of the HB and Stem.

Favorite Trail:   CAMBA in Cable,WI.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop Ely, M

Similar Products Used:   Salsa El Mariachi but I had it set up with gears and a Salsa Mamasita, and Big Mama. and lots of time on the Marys at the shop.

Bike Setup:   Differnt thing at differnt times, like I said above I changed the bars& stem right-a-way! and that was to Salsa pro moto alu flat with a Salsa stem and saddle to a wtb rocket V and it's on there to this day. the set-up now is I have 90mm Setta stem with Salsa pro moto Carbon riser bars and I have a Niner Carbon fork. For tires I think I have a Prowler on the front and a bonty fx3 on the rear.

Submitted by Stevil69 a Weekend Warrior from Watauga, TX

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2011

Strengths:    Light and quick with tires that really perform. Predictable, strong and sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Fugly. Lol. We've named it Warthog b/c of it's unattractive brown color scheme matched with it's tough as nails strength. Also the brakes are cheap, including the levers.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike for the money for the kind of person who takes pride in the satisfaction of outperforming those around him/her on a unique setup. No one else I've ridden with has a 29er, a single speed, or a fully rigid bike. It's strange how fun SSing is! And I'm blowing the doors off these people!!!

Favorite Trail:   Knob Hills

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Sports

Similar Products Used:   Ummm... Walmart Schwinn's. Yep.

Bike Setup:   Clipless pedals. Comfortable handle grips.

Submitted by davidgee a Cross Country Rider from Elkhorn WI USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Affordable, Light, Great Tires, Comfortable Seat, Sturdy Frame

Weaknesses:    Awful Grips, Poor Quality Brakes, Rigid Fork (if you are going to be riding in a lot of rock gardens beware)

Bottom Line:
If you are looking to dip your toes in the "Single Speed Waters" you cannot go wrong. I just couldn't see spending $1,400+ to get a Rig. Full retail is around $750 but I got it on close out for $400.

Even with my Clydesale 230lb bod this thing flies up hills (much faster than my Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Plus). Obviously going down hills and the flats it gets crushed by geared 29ers and you are going to get punished in rock beds.

If you are going from a full-suspension you need to learn how to pick a good line...the ol' days of just driving over anything are done.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Carlin WI

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   My other ride is a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Plus.

Bike Setup:   All Stock except for Ergon GP1 Grips (recommend for all Cross Country Mountain Bikes). Pricey at $32.00 but worth it if you are doing long rides.

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from bangor pa

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2011

Strengths:    Solid frame puts every pedalstroke to the ground im a clyde @ 250 this is important to me. Rides surprisingly smooth for a full rigid aluminum to the point where I sometimes forget I have no suspension.

Weaknesses:    Original parts spec was very cheep handlebars too narrow for a singlespeed.

Bottom Line:
I also have a Niner sir 9 love the bike!!!! But! !!!! I am a clyde and I don't like the give the steel frame has as a singlespeed . The haro aluminum frame is perfect for me holds up under the constant mashing of pedals without feeling mushey. If you are above 215 and want to ride a singlespeed opt for the aluminum frame. Im leaving off 1 chilli for the narrow handlebar spec on a dedicated singlespeed.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   sauconvalley bikes

Similar Products Used:   Niner sir 9, orbea lanza

Bike Setup:   Ergon grips, eastonhavoc h bars, chris king headset thompson seatposeat wtb peed v seat truevative fire x cranks, nevagal front, ignitor rear.

Submitted by Darrell G. a Weekend Warrior from Farmington NM USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    Good ride, No flex, Super fun to cruz, Lots of smiles per miles.

Weaknesses:    Wheel set are not that good. Neck and bars are just cheap. But you find this on any bike that is factory.

Bottom Line:
This is one to try out. I would ride this on any trail. I was told that any 29"er feels flexing on rear hub but I here to tell you that this is just as tuff as any of my 26"er. The Un-Mello Yellow is the Bomb. This bike makes you feel that you can defeat any trail.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rim

Purchased At:   Cottonwood Cycles

Similar Products Used:   ?????

Bike Setup:   I changed out the Wheel set. Changed out bars and stem. got it to fit and loved it, but that wasn't all I installed a cheap X-5 shifter set and a nine speed rear only derailer. I don't know, but this thing is fun. don't know if I well change to single speed again. I want to change brakes next, but haven't decided on what to get?

Submitted by ChuckJr a Cross Country Rider from Western PA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2010

Strengths:    For what I paid, everything is a strength. Ally rides nice, has a very decent looking frame, and is just fun to ride. The Hayes MX-4 brakes aren't totally quiet, but they work well and haven't given me any problems. The Unmellow Yellow color gets a lot of compliments and the huge Haro logo gets a lot of looks from the BMX kids.

Weaknesses:    As other reviewers have mentioned, there isn't much clearance between the chainstays and the tires, and the wheels aren't fantastic. Frame is very stiff, but this is to be expected on an aluminum frame. WTB Speed V seat was too wide for me, but seems like it would be a very comfortable saddle if it fit. My only real complaint about the components is that the handlebars look really cheap.

Bottom Line:
If I was buying a new rigid bike, it wouldn't have an aluminum frame; however, I couldn't be happier with this bike for what I have in it. It's quiet, climbs great, and hasn't given me any problems in over 300 miles of riding. The stock gearing is about perfect for the hills of western PA. If you can find one used (or leftover from '09), it's certainly worth picking up. It's never failed to put a smile on my face and is just plain fun to ride.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Caffeine 29er, Fisher Cobia

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of a Velo saddle, Bontrager bar ends and Azonic Pookey pedals. A new handlebar and stem is in the near future.

Submitted by Cobalt512 a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2010

Strengths:    LIGHT, predictable, great tires, nice rigid fork, not to mention the wheels aren't half bad (read: not that heavy for what you pay), although the spokes were setting/pinging the whole ride.

Weaknesses:    brakes are ok, but the grips suck.

Bottom Line:
The thing that really hit me about this bike was that it had an aluminum frame, which made it really light for a mountain bike, I'm talkin around the 20lb level. The aluminum doesn't really come alive though like steel is said to do, but the lightness really made up for that. the seat on it (WTB Speed V) is really comfortable and I didn't really have any issues with it except that it wasn't level. The cock pit was nice and I didn't really notice anything good or bad about it except that the stem was a little short on it for me. Then again I was a little bit big for the frame in the first place (I'm 6'4" and was riding an 18 inch frame with alot of post showing). The rubber on it (kenda nevegal) was very nice in the sand dumped on the trail after flooding on the Menominee River and climbed and braked very well, even on gravel. The riding geometry is very predictable and not once did I notice even the slightest bit of over/under steering. Overall the bike is very predictable even in tight spaces between trees. This bike was definitely crafted for the beginner to intermediate rider. Everything was really good on this bike except for the price, I think that you could get a little bit more for your dollar for 7 and a half c-notes. Over all an outstanding product for a decent price. I highly recommend this product to bigger riders who need a bike that doesn't make them look and feel like a clown on 26" wheeled bike.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Ridge

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by John K. McCombs a Weekend Warrior from Terre Haute, Indiana

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Super fun machine. For my type of riding, I replaced the 20 tooth cog for a 16 to get a little more top end and its perfect. I took a couple links out of the chain and was all set. It rolls surprisingly well, and so easy; smooth. Very lightweight bike also. I not only ride trails with it, but also the dirt roads we have through the country. Scenery is beautiful in rural Indiana and this bike is perfect for seeing and enjoying it.

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any.

Bottom Line:
I would sure recommend this bike if you want a 9er and love single speeds. It sits next to my vintage Windsor track bike and now I have the best of both worlds.

Favorite Trail:   Pemberton, Fountain Hills Arizona

Purchased At:   Fat Bikes, Terre Hau

Similar Products Used:   This is my first experience with a 29er.

Submitted by rsquared28 a Racer from Sacramento, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Strengths:    Sturdy frame,

Weaknesses:    Heavy tires and wheels, cockpit components are heavy. Gears too low for me.

Bottom Line:
Super fun bike. Simple, inexpensive. Great winter time alternative to my high dollar race bike or FS trail rig. No gears, rigid fork, cable pull brakes - it doesn't get simpler than this. Hammer on the bike all day long and there is little clean up work. The aluminum frame is rigid enough to rail through corners at serious speed. I am faster on this bike on some trails than on my race bike.
The EBB is working great with no creaks or pops.
I had to have the wheels trued up after fifty miles or so.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn Area