Gunnar Rock Hound 29 29er Hardtail

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Tubing:
Waterford exclusive OS2 butted tube sets, featuring True Temper OX Platinum air-hardening steel alloys, custom drawn to our rigorous specs. Toptube and downtube are flared at the head tube for greater surface contact and rigidity. Tubeset specifications vary by frame size to offer riders of all sizes the strength and stiffness they need.
MSRP: $750 frame only

Submitted by henry miller a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty light. and it's steel. Bike feels like its ready to kick some butt.

Weaknesses:    As usual, paint. i applied some naval jelly and fixed any little problems.

Bottom Line:
I got Rockhound frame used, I cleaned it up. Wasn't convinced about steel, but the more i ride it, the more i love it. I have read that "steel is real" ect.. I even posted on MTB forum that i thought that 853 steel was wasted on a MTB because of suspension and big tires. Well. i'm here to eat crow. Bike feels great and like i'm holding it back. Really looking forward to getting MORE miles on it. I could really kill trails with it. I used to ride a scandium frame and was afraid it would explode on some nasty downhills, now i can bomb it and only worry about me being the weak link.
Really can't go wrong with frame. But it, right after i E-Bay a Ruffian

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer in MD

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   local

Similar Products Used:   This is my first real steel mtb, but i have nice Klein, Niner, Santa Cruz (2) Salsa, Orbea(s). This is my 2nd favorite bike. My first is my Santa Cruz Chameleon, set up as a SS. Now i'm working on getting a Ruffian. I most likely love my SC because it is set up as a SS. Otherwiw the Gunnar rockhound takes the prize. When Ruffian is built, i'm 95% sure it will take the #1 spot from the SC Chamelaon

Bike Setup:   Cobalt rims, X-9 rear derailuer, Juicy brakes, XTR cranks, ect. I like nice stuff.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Hayward, WI USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2007

Strengths:    This was my first steel frame so I was very impressed with the ride quality of good steel. It really does smooth out the trail! Welds were nice and clean too!

Weaknesses:    The geometry. I absolutely could not get comfortable with this bike! I had my Rockhound set up as a single speed with an ENO hub and the power transfer from my pedal stroke felt lacking at best. Climbing any kind of incline was a chore. There was just something there that never felt right... Looking back at it I think it was the high bottom bracket drop/low bottom bracket. I also didn't care for the rather high stand-over.

Bottom Line:
I simply didn't care for the geometry that Gunnar uses. If they tweeked there angles a little I might give them another try - being a Wisconsite I would love to support an instate frame builder.

Similar Products Used:   Niner EMB

Thomson stem/post
etc, etc

Submitted by James a Racer from Newark, DE USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    The Gunnar Rockhound 29er frame is a very nice riding bike. All of my favorite bikes are steel and this bike is no different. The bike rides well, is very whippy, and loves twisty, turny trails. 29er wheels take the rough stuff better and this bike is no exception.

Weaknesses:    Like the others, paint. But Gunnar is going to repaint the bike for me at a nice discount. The paint was pretty good, but I peeled off my faux carbon chainstay protector and a lot of paint came with it : (

Bottom Line:
Good value for the money. Small USA builder priced like a production frame. Paint could be better, but steel bikes are hard to paint. Dupon Imron would hold up better, but there are not as many color choices. Handles way better than my Gary Fisher did. Fast, stable platform. The frame is not superlight, but respectable for steel (I think mine was 4 lbs, 9 ounces). I recommended swinging a leg over one of these for a test ride if possible. It is a very nice race bike. The BB is a bit low, so striking the pedal is common, but the low BB is what makes it handle so well.

Favorite Trail:   Anyone close to home

Purchased At:   Used from Ebay

Similar Products Used:   TET 26 inch steel frames
Gary Fisher Rig

Bike Setup:   I have 2 Rockhound 29ers. Only one is built now. I have it set up as a single speed with an ENO hub, rigid Wily fork, V brakes, and basic parts. Nothing fancy and feels like 22 lbs with the rigid fork, stans wheels, and Stans crow on the back.

Submitted by PSYCLE a Cross Country Rider from Missouri

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry, paint looks wild in the sun.

Weaknesses:    Chippy paint

Bottom Line:
This Hound likes to hunt down anything. I cannot get enough miles and riding time on my Gunnar. Had to buy my 12 year old son his own 26"er Gunnar! It truely likes to roll over bigger objects, but take finesse like any other quality bike. Once you get used the larger features your speed, handling, and abilities will improve. It's a different ride that doesn't need to be compared to 26" wheels. You wouldn't compare a Porsche 911 to a Porsche Cayenne. Both great vehicles that serve different needs.
Riding a 29er is a blast and is more comfortable for my high speed, rubber to the trail, hammering on the hills, and technical riding style. Now get out there and ride one!

Purchased At:   Ballwin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   My first 29er after 9 years on an GT LTS, Zaskar LE

Bike Setup:   Reba SL poploc, X9, XT/Mavic wheels, Nevegal Fr., Nano rear

Submitted by Jake Schwam a Racer from Lubbock TX

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent geometry. This bike is fast! They have a quick turnaround on custom options. I also have an Indy Fab and was less then impressed with the build quality, but for 1/3 the price of a steel deluxe it is a damn good deal. By the way, the metallic orange paint job is badass.

Weaknesses:    As mentoned in other reviews the paint job is pretty weak. I should have gotten the clear coat option but I as to cheap. If you get a Gunnar get the upcharge on the paint.

Bottom Line:
Gunnar really impressed me on ride quality. They got the singletrack geometry spot on. This is a super smooth frame, pitted with a rigid carbon fork it simply sticks to singletrack. I still feel that 29ers are best suited for riders over 6 foot, and absolutely essential for riders over 6'2".
The only problem with these frames is also probably one of their strengths. They build these things fast, and it does show. The welds arent as clean as other small manufacturers, I would be willing to pay a little more and wait a little longer for a bike that better reflects great craftsmanship. And do not forget to order the clearcoat, the stock paint will chip off in sheets without it.

Favorite Trail:   Palo Duro

Purchased At:   Broadway Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Salsa DosNiner, sick bike but wierd paint and weak tubes.

Bike Setup:   Sram X.9 / XT cranks. Chris King hus Stan's rims - this is an excellent wheelset, if you get a 29er get these rims. Pace Carbon fork.

Submitted by Charlie Farrow from Duluth, MN

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Strengths:    It is a well crafted steel frame by committed expert frame builders(A+ for frame and A+ for Vicious fork). The geometry is conducive to fast riding on all but the most techincal of singletrack. It really shines, however, on rolling smooth and fast trails. I recommend the Gunnar Rockhound 29 inch frame/Vicious fork combination as a winning recipe for many of the point to point type races in the Midwest (i.e Ore to Shore & Chequamegon). I would venture to say that this combo is suitable for competitive racing by a skilled rider on 70 to 80% of the courses here in the Midwest. Also a notable strength is the obvious and impressive efforts the owners put into maintaining a high level of consumer satisfaction. I count myself as a committed/ loyal Gunnar/Waterford customer...I really felt like I was treated well.

Weaknesses:    Suspicions about the less than top-notch quality paint job on these frames seems to be confirmed to some degree. If you are adamant about a perfect, long lasting paint job, I would advise paying the extra money and getting a clear coat application. The problem on my frame stems from paint coming off of the areas near the quick release wheels. However, to me this is not a major concern. I would give the paint job a 7 out of 10.

Bottom Line:
A great frame for the money. I recommend it. Go buy one-NOW! Buy it from SKI HUT!!!

Purchased At:   THE SKI HUT, Duluth, MN

Similar Products Used:   Kelly frames

Bike Setup:   std xt/xtr components coupled with Mavic Open Pros. I have used The Crows with some success. The built up bike weighs just a little over 23 lbs.

Submitted by Trent a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Strengths:    Great bargain for what you get. Geometry is dialed just right, good finish, made in the USA! The guys at Waterford are great to deal with.

Weaknesses:    Originally a cable stop was left off frame, but the turn-around was super speedy. Suspension fork hits down tube but that's what's probably going to happen with traditional steel frames. Really none other than that.

Bottom Line:
Gunnars are my alltime favorite. They are high quality handmade steel frames at a reasonable cost. The Rockhound geometry is dialed in to perfection. Anyone who says a 29er is slow and sluggish hasn't ridden one of these. Handling is just right, climbs great. Comfy, lively steel ride. I just can't say enough good about this bike. The ride is far superior to the GF 29er I just came off of. The GF was good(it sold me on 29ers) but not as good as the Gunnar. GO GET ONE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Turquoise Lake, CO

Purchased At:   Gunnar direct

Similar Products Used:   GF 29er. This is my 5th Gunnar, they have all been great. I also have my second Gunnar Roadie.

Bike Setup:   Full XT with Gripshift, Bontrager wheels, SD7 brakes, Reba fork.

Submitted by Leonard a Cross Country Rider from Eagle River

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2006

Strengths:    The handling is really good.Construction is good. Paint is good(now).Finish.Customer service. Labs rule.

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel clearance is tight at seat stays for some tires.

Bottom Line:
This bike is at home on long technical trail rides. The big wheels roll over stuff with no problem. I love the point and shoot type handling. I can ride ALL DAY and feel great at the end.
The rear tire clearance at the seat stays is tight. Muddy rides or a big wobble in the wheel produce some rubbing. Other than that,a very well designed,solid performing bike. Again,this bike is really easy to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Lake