GT Timberline 2.0 29er Hardtail

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2013

Strengths:    Among the best of the value 29ers I could find. I've seen it priced at 300 to 460. I believe the frame is of a very good quality for this price range: feels solid yet decently light. "L" frame size weighed in at 33 lbs. Shifters work great once they're in tune. I am actually going to say that these brakes are quite good too; disk brakes are over-rated, especially those that you'll find in this price range. These brakes are tune-able (line-up in multiple dimensions, pull together evenly, do not drag on the rim when released), have good response (stock cable arrangement is not too spongy) and have great stopping power.

Weaknesses:    seat, fork, tires, seat tube. The seat is pretty uncomfortable for me. If you want to do serious off-roading the tires need an upgrade, though they do grab well on steep dirt-trail climbs when compared to my wider and more aggressive 26" tires. My Fork isn't broken-in well yet but the dampening feels like it will always leave something to be desired. It comes with a 350mm seat tube... this was not long enough for me. I have 35" cycling inseam when wearing shoes and I liked the 3-4 inches of clearance the L frame size gives, but the seat did not extend far enough for comfortable pedaling. Bike shop threw in a 400mm seat post and it gave the extra 1/2" I needed without going past minimum insertion.

Bottom Line:
I wrote this review because this bike deserves a serious look if you're going for the most bike you can get under 300-400ish. Feels solid, and has great potential in the short term if you give it a good tuning, and it seems to have even more potential in the long term if you upgrade parts as they wear out.

Similar Products Used:   I'm comparing this bike to a 400 dollar SE (Fuji bike) and it seems to be of better quality (double-wall rims and frame). I "upgraded" from a well-maintained Cannondale Delta-V ($1400 MSRP bike from the 90s) and this bike as a whole feels like a worthy replacement, and gets me onto a 29er for not much money

Bike Setup:   Bone stock